PDA

View Full Version : Tree Shadows Flicker

ecstaticbrick
12-06-2015, 18:10
Hi, is anyone else have issues with tree shadows on the track flickering or looking like they are moving around like static?
It is a huge distraction at times for me!
I know it is hard to tell by looking at pictures but, something just doesn't look right with my shadows at all.

SpeedLimitUnknown
12-06-2015, 19:04
Yes I notice this too,ive seen others mention it as well. I would also prefer if the tree shadows looked at bit 'softer'.

pCarsUser
14-07-2015, 09:31
I find tree shadows in pCars ugly and very distracting on some tracks.
The best solution - get rid of them.
Just set weather setting to "overcast"

Tree shadows in this game are completely broken.
In fact, I like soft and very blurry shadows in Test Drive Unlimited. They wasn't too realistic, but I didn't care because shadows didn't distract me from driving end enjoying the game.

Avloc123
14-07-2015, 12:21
I do this too. Another advantage to having weather on overcast is [almost] zero aliasing. Bright sunshine ruins the look of the whole game for me.

OppaErich
14-07-2015, 12:27
Try setting Shadow Details to Low. It's less distracting this way.

pCarsUser
14-07-2015, 13:38
I think, "overcast" should be a default weather setting.

ajd440ex
14-07-2015, 20:29
I have a medium spec PC and this was driving me crazy when I first started playing. After hours of tweeking I found these setting work best for my rig. Anistropic filter 4X, Vsync yes, AA set to MSAA, FXAA off, SMAA off, all detail setting to medium. The biggest help was turning BLOOM OFF. I now have very little shadow flicker in bright daylight. I am playing on a 39 LCD 1920 x 1080 tv in game mode and the picture is great for a very under powered rig for Pcars.

My rig is an older HP Pavilion Elite with an Intel i7 2600 with 10 gigs of ram along with a GTX 660 card. I am happy with how it is working so far.

Kobus Maree
15-07-2015, 08:29
it is a very harsh leafy shadow

I will try the overcast too, and low shadow

flymar
15-07-2015, 08:56
Hi, is anyone else have issues with tree shadows on the track flickering or looking like they are moving around like static?
I know it is hard to tell by looking at pictures but, something just doesn't look right with my shadows at all.

Yes few meters from the car they start to crawl. And yes by missing penumbra they are bit too sharp.
But after non gamer watched my few laps on Nords first reaction was - "The leaves shadows looks so real" - imagine that:)

Mattias
15-07-2015, 09:13
Yeah, the shadows looks terrible at low resolution and low AA settings.
Just switching over to 4K makes it a completely different experience, much nicer shadows!
But my pc specs can only take screenshots in that resolution.

We don't have powerful enough pc's on the market yet to enjoy the high detail shadows :)

I still enjoy them at 1080p and driving in real life, the shadows can look kind of like it does in-game at times as well, depends on how strong the sun is and how many leaves on the tree ;)

Looking at the screenshots above, I've never gotten them "Blocky" like they look there though. For me it's just a lot of aliasing issues.

robertedell
15-07-2015, 12:53
I found the shadow flicker annoying especially on Road America so I turned shadow detail OFF, I still have shadows but they are soft now and the flickering is gone, plus I get a little boast in FPS.

-carbo-
15-07-2015, 12:56
I really noticed this moving to a 28" screen(from 24). I tried running it at 1080p but cranked it up to 1440 which improved it but didn't completely resolve.

Globespy
18-11-2016, 23:26
Is there any way to turn off the actual movement of the trees? Like the -skipcrowd type functions for startup options in steam? I can opnly imagine how much graphical power these moving trees are using up and would like to turn them off. I never really noticed that they were moving until recently when I had to pull over to answer a call and saw thatr they were moving in the wind. I've searched but haven;t found any obvious solutions, hoping some smarty can help!
Cheers!

Fanapryde
19-11-2016, 08:03
Yes few meters from the car they start to crawl. And yes by missing penumbra they are bit too sharp.
But after non gamer watched my few laps on Nords first reaction was - "The leaves shadows looks so real" - imagine that:)
Which I think is quite normal. Shadows "crawl" IRL too, at least when there is some wind...
Imo it is a great effect.

Tepp
19-11-2016, 16:15

The only thing that can help is double sampling, either in-game (AA at least DS2X or DS4X), either external Nvidia DSR. Lower end AA methods (MSAA and variants) does not work with transparent textures, like shadows. Double sampling will require pretty much high-end system as each frame will be rendered at double (or larger) size and then downsampled. Even though there will be flicker on distant objects, including shadows.

Take a look on this thread:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24236-Anti-Aliasing-Jaggie-removals&p=1313551&viewfull=1#post1313551

Alternative option is to completely turn off the shadows ... :)