PDA

View Full Version : Real Names + Other Generally Incomplete Items

1959SLP
12-06-2015, 22:00
This is something I would have liked to have seen as Non-Option... as in 'Real Names' MANDATORY!

If your screen name or in game name is RazrBladezBaphomet6o66 or some dumbass crap like that, chances are 110% you are going to drive like a dickhead and not give rip what you do or what happens.

iRacing did it from the start, RaceRoom (DTM + Variants) now appears to require it & Race2Play, while not a game but a service does for sure. I believe there is a certain accountability when using a real name. I would have liked to have seen a full blown officiating system for online races too.

Most of these games only go so far and then it seems the developers lose interest, or can't figure it out, or don't give a rip or whatever but the result is all these 'novel' ideas but everything is largely incomplete in some way.

i.e. pCars = Broken replays, graphic issues, no decent damage model (though something is there) BUT visually superior.

rFactor2 = Great physics (awesome to drive), ZERO damage (like driving a rigid 'thing' that bounces off any other surface... horrid) dated, awful graphics, horrible frame rate issues which likely will NEVER be resolved... it has been three years and it still can rarely break 40FPS on powerful enough systems.

RaceRoom (DTM +) = Well Slimebin went belly up... so can Sector 3 save it? Nice graphics, cars, tracks, reasonable pay model, physics are bit arcade-ish and again, ZERO damage model but the overall package is kind of there. Second most complete offering IMO.

Assetto Corsa = Second to pCars for looks, great driving model, ZERO damage, cars can't flip, etc... But there's pricey new content!!

Racing = Pricey, instead of fixing all the broken junk, keep slogging new content, horrible officiating (but at least there is), bad damage model but it's there, graphics, cars and tracks acceptable, physics is questionable on some cars... the overall package is the MOST complete. Decent enough content, look, race hosting, officiating, competition, user base, accountability as a driver, tracking systems, etc.

I think ALL these games should incorporate soft damage physics. If you are a 'Simulation' then an unforgiving damage model is critical. It would keep the 'Johnny XBOX' drivers away... oh but that's where the money is and that's ALL that matters... RIGHT!?!? People would drive like it IS a $200,000.00 racecar and your life IS on the line. Right now, nobody give a F#$% how they drive.

$0.02

Timmynator
12-06-2015, 22:07
So why didn't you join the forums with your real name?

cluck
12-06-2015, 22:08
In all the years of testing I found that there was no relation between the screen-name and the quality of the driving. A crap driver is a crap driver, regardless of their screen-name :).

It's also somewhat ironic that you using a pseudonym to post about that point :p.

Roger Prynne
12-06-2015, 22:17
I wouldn't bother about racing sims then, if I was you.

By the way what's your real name?

GamingCanuck
12-06-2015, 22:22
I've been sim racing for about 13 years, I've never seen anything that suggests using your real name makes you race cleanly. I've had great racing with people who's screen name that, at first glance, would make you think they're going to just pile drive everyone in turn 1.

Shinzah
12-06-2015, 22:23
Racing = Pricey, instead of fixing all the broken junk, keep slogging new content, horrible officiating (but at least there is), bad damage model but it's there, graphics, cars and tracks acceptable, physics is questionable on some cars... the overall package is the MOST complete. Decent enough content, look, race hosting, officiating, competition, user base, accountability as a driver, tracking systems, etc.

Assuming you mean iracing, just two things.

Laser scanned, nearly centimetre accurate track surfaces = "acceptable" now guys

But the massive dissonance between "This game is crap and acceptable at the best times" and "It has a decent package and is the most complete with everything I just said that sucks about it" is blowing my mind.

I think ALL these games should incorporate soft damage physics. If you are a 'Simulation' then an unforgiving damage model is critical. It would keep the 'Johnny XBOX' drivers away... oh but that's where the money is and that's ALL that matters... RIGHT!?!? People would drive like it IS a $200,000.00 racecar and your life IS on the line. Right now, nobody give a F#$% how they drive.

$0.02

Implying that console racers don't race seriously just because they use a console and not because they have a larger consumer base of varying talent levels like some kind of elitist

1959SLP
12-06-2015, 22:53
Same reason you didn't... at the time I joined in 2012 or whenever, it was a new thing and I'm not one for plastering my name all over the internet.

Greg ...FWIW.

So why didn't you join the forums with your real name?

Roger Prynne
12-06-2015, 22:53
If you are a 'Simulation' then an unforgiving damage model is critical.
Some car manufacturers will not allow you to simulate a complete damage model in a game (fact)

yusupov
12-06-2015, 23:00
iracing is the only one that can require a real name, i think maybe rfactor2 could get away with it as theres technically a fee for online play. even then you could just sign with a pseudonym of course.

other than that theres zero way to police that, so basically youre asking for pcars to institute a pay-to-play online model, which will clean up the racing im sure, especially if your license can be revoked. but probably wouldnt be too popular.

1959SLP
12-06-2015, 23:05
Not entirely sure if I follow what you're getting at?

I didn't bitch about laser scanned tracks.

Is iRacing flawed in many ways? Yes. Does that mean that it's not one of the most complete offerings around? No.

From my experience, consoles are full of kids that can't seem to keep enough focus to drive more than 3 laps. Everything seems to be focused around sprint racing and tends to be some hyperactive type thing or the players are bored.

Not directly at your post but to cover the other post about screen names, again in my experience doing this since back in the Nascar 3, GPL, F12002, Simbin stuff, through to early rF days and trying unfortunate things like SimRaceway, majority of the time, it's a bunch of unidentifiable people with some wild screen name and they're either a wrecker or antagonistic. There are no repercussions and racing online is/was hell unless one was part of a dedicated league. Didn't have time for that, so... figure it out... quite sure I'm not the only one with that experience.

Assuming you mean iracing, just two things.

Laser scanned, nearly centimetre accurate track surfaces = "acceptable" now guys

But the massive dissonance between "This game is crap and acceptable at the best times" and "It has a decent package and is the most complete with everything I just said that sucks about it" is blowing my mind.

Implying that console racers don't race seriously just because they use a console and not because they have a larger consumer base of varying talent levels like some kind of elitist

Umer Ahmad
12-06-2015, 23:07
What do you mean "real name"? Can i choose "Michael Jackson" or "Lewis Hamilton"?

1959SLP
12-06-2015, 23:08
I'm aware of this and I think it's ridiculous. You can have your pilot get 'killed' in flight simulator. Should be able to die in a car simulator too. Or at least have the car become terminal. NOT like some of this ridiculous bouncing off walls stuff there is now and you pit, get repaired and finish. Please.

Some car manufacturers will not allow you to simulate a complete damage model in a game (fact)

1959SLP
12-06-2015, 23:10
Sure there are a few... 99 times out of the 100 I've been in the scenario that I referred to. Wreckers, yahoos, and troublemakers. Just my experience so I stated it.

I've been sim racing for about 13 years, I've never seen anything that suggests using your real name makes you race cleanly. I've had great racing with people who's screen name that, at first glance, would make you think they're going to just pile drive everyone in turn 1.

1959SLP
12-06-2015, 23:12
Seriously everyone, I made a few observations about ALL the current Sims. I didn't kick you in the nuts or criticize your children.

Get over yourselves and stop defending.

1959SLP
12-06-2015, 23:14
Badda dum... tssssh! Open Mic nite at the Comedy Store... give it a shot.

What do you mean "real name"? Can i choose "Michael Jackson" or "Lewis Hamilton"?

yusupov
12-06-2015, 23:56
...its a serious point that you dont seem to get

bc525
12-06-2015, 23:59
bc525 is my real name. My older sister and my older brother are bc523 and bc524 respectively.

GamingCanuck
13-06-2015, 01:24
Seriously everyone, I made a few observations about ALL the current Sims. I didn't kick you in the nuts or criticize your children.

Get over yourselves and stop defending.

You made a few observations, others have offered theirs, or was the point of this thread only for you to share your observations and everyone else was to just agree with you? Unfortunately for you, that's not how open forums work.

Panopticism
13-06-2015, 01:43
I'm aware of this and I think it's ridiculous. You can have your pilot get 'killed' in flight simulator. Should be able to die in a car simulator too. Or at least have the car become terminal. NOT like some of this ridiculous bouncing off walls stuff there is now and you pit, get repaired and finish. Please.

Yeah, so,... that's not going to happen. Not with licensed cars and not without an ESRB/Pegi/etc. rating that would potentially shrink the demographic.

As someone who has been on track and strapped in under red flag conditions due to horrific accidents, all the while not knowing the status of fellow competitors... I would have absolutely no interest in "simulating" this aspect of motorsport. That's macabre and unnecessary.

PC49NZ
13-06-2015, 02:26
This gentleman is obviously thinking on how to improve this already very fine Sim and I appreciate what he is getting at. Personally I believe a lot in what he says it's just a matter of fine tuning it.

Regards,
Jim.

1959SLP
13-06-2015, 03:27
I'm not saying it has to go that far either. Was making a point about terminal damage vs. what we have now in most simulators.

And, I understand what you are saying. 2004 for me. Similar situation. 3 vehicles involved and I definitely was hurt. I've never competed since. Injuries were bad enough that competing and getting hurt again are too big a risk.

Yeah, so,... that's not going to happen. Not with licensed cars and not without an ESRB/Pegi/etc. rating that would potentially shrink the demographic.

As someone who has been on track and strapped in under red flag conditions due to horrific accidents, all the while not knowing the status of fellow competitors... I would have absolutely no interest in "simulating" this aspect of motorsport. That's macabre and unnecessary.

1959SLP
13-06-2015, 03:32
I understand that. Wasn't expecting to just comment and have everyone agree. By the same token, there are always the ones who just make asinine comments and or get in people's faces for the sake of it instead of being constructive or contributory.

Some of these 'Fanboi' types get all 'back up' offended like it's their personal product or something so was dishing right back.

You made a few observations, others have offered theirs, or was the point of this thread only for you to share your observations and everyone else was to just agree with you? Unfortunately for you, that's not how open forums work.

foolinjection
13-06-2015, 07:01
Some of these 'Fanboi' types get all 'back up' offended like it's their personal product or something so was dishing right back.
You seem to be forgetting that, as this game is a Mass Development title, for a lot of people here this might well be their personal product. They will have put money into it over and above the retail price of the title.

You spoke earlier about flight sims and "killing" the pilot. From my experience, apart from combat flight sims where the aim is to blow each other out of the sky, many of the more commercial aviation flight sims dont have much in the way of realistic damage. If I fly a fully loaded 747 into the ground the game just pauses on impact and tells me I screwed up. Does that mean the people who play them dont take it seriously because they dont model on screen an aircraft with 100 passengers on board bursting into flames?; no of course not. You will however still find people online who will join online lobbys in flight sims who act like children and just want to ruin someones experience. Even in combat flight sims, online, I've had team-mates deliberately fly into me. *shrugs*

Really it boils down to, real name used or not, if someone wants to be a pleb online and ruin your day... They will. Its an unfortunate area of online gaming that no matter what developers do will never really go away and i'd hasten to add the more complex and spectacular you make the damage on screen, the more likely I think people would want to ram into you to see the aftermath. "Cos its funny, haw-haw" -__-

If you want truly clean racing you're much better joining a league of like minded people and getting yourself off servers with Joe Public.

MysterG
13-06-2015, 07:23
If you want truly clean racing you're much better joining a league of like minded people and getting yourself off servers with Joe Public.

This.

1959SLP
20-06-2015, 12:44
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28959-The-Game-is-been-ruined-by-some!-People-need-to-be-banned!!&highlight=controller+profile