PDA

View Full Version : AMD/CrossFireX Settings 117 FPS Max, 79 FPS Min. Might help some. Works great here!

1959SLP
13-06-2015, 00:02
Here are some settings for AMD/CrossFireX users that might help.

AMD 15.5 Beta Driver - 14.502.1014.1001-150526a-184425E
Running in CrossFireX mode;

All tests run on triple screen @ 5760x1200 VSync Off.

As noted I'm getting 117 FPS Maximum and 79 FPS Minimum set at Anisotropic 16x, AA 2x on Nordschleife. Tested with an LMP, Caper Stock Car, and the 67 Ford GT.

Getting about the same frame rate set at Anisotropic 16x, AA 4x on Nordschleife. Tested with an LMP, Caper Stock Car, and the 67 Ford GT.

In the rain;

As noted I'm getting 71 FPS Minimum and 96 FPS Maximum set at Anisotropic 16x, AA 2x on Nordschleife. Tested with an LMP, Caper Stock Car, and the 67 Ford GT.

Getting about the same frame rate set at Anisotropic 16x, AA 4x on Nordschleife. Tested with an LMP, Caper Stock Car, and the 67 Ford GT.

Strange that AA in game is a much bigger hit than using the Catalyst Control.

Added note that I strayed from the AMD 'Defined' setting for pCARS as the settings shown yielded a much better frame rate.

Worth mentioning;

I run a really lean system. Minimal services, no AV, minimal startup items, no wallpapers, eyecandy, etc. It is strictly a simulator/gaming rig. Nothing else. CPU Cores are un-parked.

These are my 'startup options' for pCARS - -dx11mt -pthreads 4 -novr -skipcrowds

Hope this helps some out.

* I attached the wrong attachments and I don't think the system will let me edit/remove the wrong images. I've added the correct ones. *

** In the Catalyst Control Panel, Anisotropic should be set to 'Use Application Settings' and NOT managed by Catalyst. So, to clarify, I set Anisotropic in pCARS like the screen shot but AA is set in Catalyst. **

spavatch
13-06-2015, 09:38
As noted I'm getting 117 FPS Maximum and 79 FPS Minimum set at Anisotropic 16x, AA 2x on Nordschleife. Tested with an LMP, Caper Stock Car, and the 67 Ford GT.
I can see you run a triple screen setup. Are all those tests done at 5760x1200 or higher (bezel correction)?

1959SLP
13-06-2015, 09:58
Yes. I should have mentioned that huh? :)

The test were all done in Eyefinity Mode 5760x1200.

I don't use Bezel Correction. I have a custom made monitor stand that allows me to, for lack of better explanations, manually compensate for the bezels and alignment.

I can see you run a triple screen setup. Are all those tests done at 5760x1200 or higher (bezel correction)?

spavatch
13-06-2015, 10:43
Those are quite impressive figures, even though you had to sacrifice graphics quality to achieve them. I'm having a hard time reaching 30 FPS and quite often it goes as low as 20 FPS for instance at Nordschleife between Wehrseifen and Breidscheid corners. And I don't even want to mention how bad is it on Le Mans, the section between Mulsanne corner and Indianapolis is a nightmare, the slowdown is so significant it irritates even on straights (I don't remember the exact figure but it must be 15 FPS or lower). And since I'm not willing to go below 'high' quality setting I guess it is as much as I can get from this setup... :upset:

1959SLP
16-06-2015, 10:51
Hi,

Well, after hours more of testing, testing, testing I'm more and more convinced... wait for it... oh the shit storm from the 'super fans' when I blaspheme their precious...

I'm convinced there is a problem either or at the heart of this game, the root of Direct X, the hardware whether it's AMD or NVidia, the accompanying hardware (mainboards, buses, RAM, Controller hardware/firmware, etc.) ... the list of possibilities is a mile long.

After the last post I've now tried Le Mans, Nordschleife (again) Watkins Glen both in the rain and dry, with the Caper Monterey, the 67 Ford GT and the Sauber C9. This time I added/removed one setting at time, restarting each time. I've now arrived at this setting with 3 variations of the Catalyst CrossFireX settings (AFR, 1 x 1 Optimal, and the pCars64.exe preset. I'm now getting between 64 and 88 FPS while in car and watching a replay from the TV style camera, getting 61 - 94 FPS.

I was getting some stutter on replays so I moved back to 2 Frame Ahead Rendering. Also been playing with the Jitter Control too but don't seem to see anything there.. who knows? I think the stuttering is flaw in the driver software and or the AMD hardware (that no one will ever admit, just like the Nvidia shenanigans I've read about) simply because it's the exact same stutter that everyone has trouble with in rFactor2 and I was getting a slight amount (the minimal slightest) in iRacing until a BIOS update on the 290X last year.

I think GPU Physx should be wide open with ANY primary GPU... Isn't the Physx source readily available now... anyone can have at so time to stop all the BS.. that's another conversation though.

Weird thing too, was that at some point, monitoring the GPU usage in CrossFireX, some car/track combinations were not using both GPU when I know they were prior to the build push on Fri./Sat. the 13th/14th. So maybe the update half broke something. ??

I totally scrubbed removed my drivers, reinstalled the 15.5 drivers and now both GPU are fully utilized again.

RAM is I believe underrated/overlooked. All the users I read about with big frame issues all seem to list 8GB in their system signature. Windows is an efficient POS and most software is bloated so give it a ton of RAM.

Anyhow, here are the new settings;

Reflections and shadows are a killer in any game. I tweaked around forever in Assetto Corsa too. Got it up to a very high level of detail and getting consistent 64 FPS with moments in the mid to high 80s.

For the kind of HP I'm running (2 x 290x in CrossFireX) any game should be fluid but they're not... which brings me back to the 'whole' thing (platform entirely) is flawed.

Anyhow, take it easy.

Those are quite impressive figures, even though you had to sacrifice graphics quality to achieve them. I'm having a hard time reaching 30 FPS and quite often it goes as low as 20 FPS for instance at Nordschleife between Wehrseifen and Breidscheid corners. And I don't even want to mention how bad is it on Le Mans, the section between Mulsanne corner and Indianapolis is a nightmare, the slowdown is so significant it irritates even on straights (I don't remember the exact figure but it must be 15 FPS or lower). And since I'm not willing to go below 'high' quality setting I guess it is as much as I can get from this setup... :upset:

robertedell
16-06-2015, 15:42
OP I glad to see another AMD user getting good results, I too have had good results with my AMD rig after much adjusting. However I never thought to use the AA in the catalyst control center for better FPS. I will have to give that a try.

Thank you for the info on your setup and results.

1959SLP
19-06-2015, 08:02
Hope something helps out.

OP I glad to see another AMD user getting good results, I too have had good results with my AMD rig after much adjusting. However I never thought to use the AA in the catalyst control center for better FPS. I will have to give that a try.

Thank you for the info on your setup and results.