PDA

View Full Version : Triple monitor "Telemetry View" request / fix

Stryker44
13-06-2015, 02:37
I use triple monitors and have FOV adjusted. I like to race with screen set to "cockpit camera" and I use the Telemetry overlay a lot and I used to love it that way with just one monitor. Now that I use three ... The Telemetry Overlay is stretched waaaay out across the monitors and is being distorted as a result. It would be AWSOME if it would just stay on the middle screen like that overlay with the speed, lap times, etc. That Overlay is still just on the middle monitor. Could someone see that this gets to the powers that be so to speak.....Thanks. I think I remember someone saying that triple monitor support was being worked on. Maybe this suggestion could get to that group. I'm sure if they are working on it though that will be one of the first things they notice.

I really appreciate all the attention you guys are giving towards the customers....That's great, and rare in this world nowadays .. Really sets you apart from the rest!!!

Lawndarts
13-06-2015, 05:25
+1 I was going to request the same thing. I'm glad the bud is scaled correctly for triples but the telemetry needs the same attention.

Essobie
13-06-2015, 06:15
The HUD pretty much doesn't do anything correctly with triple monitors. The game currently treats it as a single viewport rather than three, so you get the same number of locations to place HUD elements in the regular HUD, the customize HUD interface chokes when the aspect ratio is that wide, and, as you mention, the Telemetry is simply scaled to fit the entire viewport (stretched to hell). Those tire gauges are supposed to be circles.

Ideally the Telemetry HUD would be just like the regular HUD where everything is a separate element that you can hide/show and move around to your heart's desire. As it is now, I don't even bother with that HUD... except to cycle through it to get my virtual rear view back.

Oh, did I mention that even though the HUD customization persists with 1.4, the state of the rear view does NOT persist?

BioForce
13-06-2015, 06:42
Triple screen support is on the list for years. Let's see if they will do it in the future.

Doc44
13-06-2015, 07:19
Hi ,Oh thanks Essobie,I have just bought and installed it and was VERY disappointed,I have iracing running on triple monitors and expected this to be the same but am of course very disappointed to say the least,Oh well I will try to set it up better from your hints,any other help welcome,thanks Doc....

Essobie
13-06-2015, 13:16
Triple screen support is on the list for years. Let's see if they will do it in the future.

I do hope so. Actual triple viewport support is just icing to me at this point. But a UI can be created such that it doesn't need to rely on multiple viewports... it can just do some fairly simple math to understand that when your aspect ratio is above 4:1 or so, just divide the UI into thirds and only show UI elements in the middle third.

My biggest complaint about this issue is that Pit Warnings, in game chat, race flags, and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff I've never seen before, all show up on the left or right edge of my outer monitors that I'll not see easily while driving. And when I'm just at the front end, the exit button and the back button are literally 5000 pixels apart. I have to lift my mouse to get from one to the other two times. :(

BioForce
13-06-2015, 13:21
I know mate. Seems to be a low prio task. I have no high hopes, but I'll be happy if they surprise me :-)

Stryker44
13-09-2015, 15:58
Well, since I started this thread, I’ve upgraded to an NVidia card. I was using an AMD card which uses Eyeinfinity.

Now I understand why there is not much priority for triple screen support. All you guys use NVidia and it’s almost impossible to use the “NVidia surround” as opposed to AMD’s Eyenfinity. Switching back and forth from extended mode to surround mode is a nightmare with NVidia. I didn’t know that before I bought the card. Since I switched, I can’t remember the last time I used the other two monitors in a game. It’s sad, because this NVidia card is really an awesome card for one monitor. Now I’m torn between going back to AMD and having triple screens with less performance or staying with NVidia and one screen with great performance.

If anybody has any advice on how they do it successfully with NVidia It would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! I figure if anyone knows how to do it, it would be here.

dysonj
13-09-2015, 21:07
I'm using triple monitors and I've been thinking of changing from AMD to NVidia so I'd also be keen to know whether triple monitors works OK on NVidia. Eyefinity works fine for me on PCars subject to all the points raised above (and elsewhere) about support for triple monitors generally. Would be great to get the telemetry and other bits and pieces fixed for triple monitors ..... Here's hoping! Although I wonder whether triple monitors will be somewhat made redundant by VR in the next 6 months or so?

Keithb23
13-09-2015, 21:34
I've been using triple monitors on an nvidia geforxe gtx770 4gb and have experienced no issues whatsoever. Of course, pcars hasn't implemented multi-monitor support allowing for perspective correct display on three screens, but it runs fine, the side views are simply stretched, unless you have all three screens side by side without angling them. I just enabled surround in the control panel and adjusted the screens so they lined up correctly and picked the correct bezel-compensated resolution from the graphics menu. Performance is very good, I'm running a resolution somewhere in the range of 5990x1080 on an i5 with 8gb ram.

@Stryker44
Why do you switch back and forth between extended mode and surround mode? If you have surround mode set up correctly then everything should run properly, shouldn't it? I always leave my desktop in surround mode and run whatever software I need to run either full screen across the three monitors, or windowed and sized to my liking. I'm not criticizing, just curious, :p.

Edit:
Just re-read your post. Sorry, I'll try to explain better.

I suggest you enable surround, and go through the bezel correction procedure. When you select that you will be presented with two small screens at each side of the center monitor. The screens will represent a road moving diagonally across the little window. To correct for bezel compensation you have to adjust the window so that the two roads line up as one. You can do this for both sides at once, or individually. Once that is complete you will have a bezel-corrected resolution, usually significantly higher than the typical 5760x1080 (3x 1920 x 1080, the vertical resolution doesn't change, only the horizontal). Once you start the game, you need to select that bezel compensated resolution and save it. If you have done this correctly you should be able to play any game full screen across all three monitors.

Nvidia surround will work with any game, but it is up to the game as to how triple screen monitors are supported.

With pCars, for instance, although they chose not to fully implement triple-screen support, they did make some adjustments to the ui so that the menus and the hud would always show on the center screen, so that they weren't stretched across all three monitors. If you go back to their earlier sim, GTR2, for instance, there is no triple screen support at all and the menu screen is very stretched and ugly looking across the three screens.

Assetto Corsa has an adjustment window that you can select from withing the driving view that allows you to adjust how your three screens are displayed. You still have to pick the correct resolution in the main display preferences and check off that you want triple screens supported, but once you are in game you will be able to get a perspective correct view out of all three monitors.

IRacing is similar to Assetto Corsa, but they have all the screen adjustments in the setup/options area before you actually go into a race. IRacing probably has the best triple screen and controller support of all the racing sims out there. A benchmark I had very much hoped we would at least equal in pCars, but alas, the devs seem to be more concerned about console support than pc support, given the smaller market for hardcore hardware support.

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, feel free to post them here, or drop me a pm and I'll do what I can to help. If I can't help you, I can probably find someone who can. :)

Stryker44
13-09-2015, 23:03
The reason I switch back and forth between Extended and Surround is because windows is so much more user friendly in extended mode while not in a game. For instance … I like to have several programs running at the same time like the file explorer on one monitor, hardware monitoring software or internet explorer on another and maybe Photoshop or AutoCAD on the center. If I grab a program and slap it to one monitor to maximize it there, it uses just that monitor. In surround mode, it uses one and a half monitor and I have to grab the side of the window and pull it in to just one. I hope you can see my dilemma. Throughout the day, that’s allot of resizing and stuff being really inconvenient. There are other things too like the taskbar not being on all three and leaving a space below the program where it should be or it is stretched across all three. The way I have it is the same on all three so while working on a program on a particular monitor I have the taskbar available right there.

After reading your post though, I think I may try to force myself to get used to using surround all the time. I really like the Poseidon GTX980 and AMD just doesn’t have a card out right now that is good enough for me to drop this one for. Who knows, maybe NVidia will someday fix this issue and then (for me) NVidia will be truly awesome.

Thanks for your repy!!!!!

Keithb23
15-09-2015, 03:07
Np Stryker44

I use an ATI Radeon HD6870 on my test rig for use with an xbox-360 controller. During game development I used this setup with an AMD Phenom quad-core processor to test how PCars worked on less powerful systems and for testing the as-mentioned controller, sort of like an xbox development rig in some ways. At 1920x1080 PCars works just fine with the ATI graphics card and AMD processor, but anything over those resolutions, or if you want to have all the bells and whistles and smooth online play with more than a few cars, then NVidia and Intel are definitely the way to go. Performance on my system with an i5, a Geforce GTX770 4GB, and 8GB ram on Windows 10 x64 is miles ahead of the other system. I turn off AA because I have never really seen the need for it while racing (if you're noticing the jaggies in a 32 person online race then you're probably upside-down in the ditch, mate!) and I have a couple of other graphics features turned down slightly. My online play is silky smooth with a triple screen resolution of 6000x1080 bezel corrected. With my previous setup using two ATI HD6870's sli'd, the performance was poor at best on triple screens.

I guess my point is, stick with the GTX980 if you play a lot of PCars, and do what you have to do to live with it. I'm lucky in that my big rig is strictly for racing games, I don't do anything else on it, so switching between resolutions isn't necessary.

lollygag
15-09-2015, 03:22
I like to have several programs running at the same time like the file explorer on one monitor, hardware monitoring software or internet explorer on another and maybe Photoshop or AutoCAD on the center. If I grab a program and slap it to one monitor to maximize it there, it uses just that monitor. In surround mode, it uses one and a half monitor and I have to grab the side of the window and pull it in to just one. I hope you can see my dilemma. Throughout the day, that’s allot of resizing and stuff being really inconvenient. There are other things too like the taskbar not being on all three and leaving a space below the program where it should be or it is stretched across all three. The way I have it is the same on all three so while working on a program on a particular monitor I have the taskbar available right there.

This isnt accurate.. you dont know about this?