PDA

View Full Version : Apex Particles locked

aqon99
13-06-2015, 10:46
Does anybody know why apex particles is locked in the graphics menu right at the bottom.
Have googled but couldnt find anything on it and also done a search on these forums.

cheers

Stiggie
13-06-2015, 10:49
It is only for PhysX, so Nvidia gpus. You rpobably have an AMD card.

aqon99
13-06-2015, 10:52
no ive got an nividia card , sorry should of mentioned that. Just going to try and re install physx see if that changes anything.

MysterG
13-06-2015, 10:55
It is only for PhysX, so Nvidia gpus. You rpobably have an AMD card.

PhysX in pCARS is GPU agnostic.

SharpEyez
13-06-2015, 10:58
Does anybody know why apex particles is locked in the graphics menu right at the bottom.
Have googled but couldnt find anything on it and also done a search on these forums.

cheers

I cant find that option at all, where is it located?
When im looking under Options -> Visuals. I can't find it.

aqon99
13-06-2015, 11:05
its on the performance tab, right at the bottom under stretched headlights. You cant see it if you use the mouse scroll to the bottom, at least not with me. You have to drag to scroll down. Just says apex particles - no then a locked sign

SharpEyez
13-06-2015, 11:08
its on the performance tab, right at the bottom under stretched headlights. You cant see it if you use the mouse scroll to the bottom, at least not with me. You have to drag to scroll down. Just says apex particles - no then a locked sign

Ooh, yeah that is kind of sneaky, I usually scroll down the menu's. I also noticed it is locked, indeed.
Would like to see a statement why it's locked though!

What card are you running aqon99, because I am running an old GTX570 so that could also be involved to why it's locked.

Edit:
Seems like that feature would add a lot extra to rain effect and smoke effects.

aqon99
13-06-2015, 11:12
gtx780 sli'd. Dont know whether it has come after the patch or before. Definately didnt notice it before the patch but it could of been there. Just tried a clean install of physx to no avail. may be enabled in a future patch possibly.

aqon99
13-06-2015, 11:16
Just wonder whether its for maxwell gpu's only

SharpEyez
13-06-2015, 11:19
gtx780 sli'd. Dont know whether it has come after the patch or before. Definately didnt notice it before the patch but it could of been there. Just tried a clean install of physx to no avail. may be enabled in a future patch possibly.

All kinds of nice video cards haha!

Yeah like I mentioned I would like to hear what the devs have to say on why it is locked. I just looked up what it capable of and it looks hella nice.
Like I said, rain effect and smoke effects and a whole lot other effect would improve due to that feature.

I do kind of get the feeling there is still a lot of WIP going on, like the game isn't running at it's full potential.
Obviously a constantly evolving game though.

Again, I would like to hear a statement why it's locked in this current state.

EDIT:
Looked into the game files and noticed several files called APEX_
APEX_LEGACY, APEX_LOADER, APEX_PARTICLES, APEX_TURBULENCEFS.

aqon99
13-06-2015, 11:28
im like you sharpeyez, Just on the basis of curiosity would just like to know if it is none functioning or enabled at a later date. Please could one of the devs let us know. thanks

SharpEyez
19-06-2015, 10:24
BUMP

Sankyo
19-06-2015, 10:39
Not sure but I think that the tech is not available yet, only the UI entry.

Schadows
19-06-2015, 14:07
If what is called APEX Particules is related to APEX Turbulences (check out the vids, it is amazing), indeed, it is one of the tech that was considered by the devs a few months ago, but they didn't had time to implement it.
For now, they use their own tech.

I hope the options will be available to NVidia users soon.

SharpEyez
19-06-2015, 16:45
If what is called APEX Particules is related to APEX Turbulences (check out the vids, it is amazing), indeed, it is one of the tech that was considered by the devs a few months ago, but they didn't had time to implement it.
For now, they use their own tech.

I hope the options will be available to NVidia users soon.

Yep, I did see several video's and it looks stunning! Like I mentioned in a earlier post on this thread.
Now smoke is kind of mehhhhhh, but with this technology it'll be taken to the next level!

I can't wait to see it getting implemented.

Shot video of what and how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5qhaEghJ74

Schadows
20-06-2015, 18:45
I'm still not sure if the option mean PhysX particles (which could be used for sparks and gravel/water raised from the tires) or APEX Turbulences (which could be used for any kind of smoke in the game).

The better eample I have for APEX Turbulences is this video, since it showcase the tech with a car smoking its tires :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuZQpWo9Qhs

Morgan Henstridge
21-06-2015, 00:31
It is probably related to the upcoming improvements, including the Rain particles being affected by Physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ybUufKSJE

Schadows
21-06-2015, 13:38
I'm not sure the moving droplets are really affected by physics (frankly just being affected by the speed would be enough to do the trick), and it looks to me more of a shader thing than a particle thing, but since I'm no videogame developer, I would not bet my hand on it.

SharpEyez
21-06-2015, 16:33
It is probably related to the upcoming improvements, including the Rain particles being affected by Physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ybUufKSJE

Looks decent, but still not as good as DriveClub's rain effects to be honest.

madmax2069
21-06-2015, 16:38
Looks decent, but still not as good as DriveClub's rain effects to be honest.

I wouldn't hold my breath for DriveClub level of water on windshield effects, theres a reason why DriveClub is 30FPS locked, and this game runs at a higher framerate (SMS wants the game to remain at or around 60 FPS).

Schadows
22-06-2015, 11:20
That is still work in progress otherwise it would have been disclosed more publicly. You can see that some effects are not polished yet, and I'm sure the devs know about it.

But as madmax said, I would not hold my breath for something on par with Driveclub.
Even the next Forza had to make some big compromises to hold their 60fps (like the very little water spray)

SharpEyez
23-06-2015, 11:43
I wouldn't hold my breath for DriveClub level of water on windshield effects, theres a reason why DriveClub is 30FPS locked, and this game runs at a higher framerate (SMS wants the game to remain at or around 60 FPS).

Right. But you are talking console here? Because I was talking PC. Obviously DC is only good looking and running on 30fps (ps4 only) but on par with PC version of pCars, pCars it isn't particularly good looking...
It looks decent, but Driveclub for its limited ps4 capabilities is looking a whole lot better, even though its capped at 30fps on the console.

Makes me wonder the following tho, is the game developed around the console specs/limits or the PC specs/limits and than mapped to the other?

Schadows
24-06-2015, 16:21
PC is the lead platform as the visual differences and available settings prove it.
But some features cannot just be dynamic with more this or more that just because you select a higer visual settings (ie : ultra).
It may be technically possible to have completely different shaders and stuff for each visual settings (low to ultra), that would require way too much work, hence the choice to choose something that can be played on most gaming PC (which conveniently are rendering games on par with what PS4 gets thanks to closed hardware and low level api ... just talking about how the games are looking/rendering not the raw computation power of each platform)

While the wet road effect is not perfect, I find it great already (my opinion), and prefer to have it like this but still be able to get huge amount of water spray (what neither DC nor Forza 6 provides) ... the thrill of wet races.

andrewz
26-06-2015, 16:09
You can see that some effects are not polished yet, and I'm sure the devs know about it.

It is tricky to say whether devs are conscious about certain shortcomings or not. When I see sparks effects in pCARS for example, I'm asking myself - is it me whose perception of reality is distorted, is it the devs' perception of reality that is distorted, or is it a technical limitation? That's why we are here to point it out, because when you work for a long time on something in isolation, you lose a view from above. I'm curious... what do WMD members think about sparks or tyre smoke effects, please?

Bruno Alexandre
26-06-2015, 22:18
It's a question of performance mostly Andrewz. But we'll be looking into improving them in the future.

About the Apex stuff, it's something yet to be implemented.

Morgan Henstridge
27-06-2015, 08:11
It is tricky to say whether devs are conscious about certain shortcomings or not. When I see sparks effects in pCARS for example, I'm asking myself - is it me whose perception of reality is distorted, is it the devs' perception of reality that is distorted, or is it a technical limitation? That's why we are here to point it out, because when you work for a long time on something in isolation, you lose a view from above. I'm curious... what do WMD members think about sparks or tyre smoke effects, please?

The entire premise of WMD was that the Devs were not working in Isolation.

If the people saw something odd, the Developers would know about it the next day when that Build was played :)

Schadows
29-06-2015, 13:57
I'm curious... what do WMD members think about sparks or tyre smoke effects, please?I don't have anything to say about the sparks as they are currently in games. Maybe because I don't see them often and they are believable enough not to break my immersion in the game.

Tire smoke is another story through. I remember having better tire smoke during development, but had to be downgraded not to impact performances too much. I wish we could disable tire smoke only, as every time I see it, it remind me that i'm in a game (which I tend to forget thanks to the immersion the game provides). That's also one of the reason I awaiting for the APEX turbulence tech so eagerly.
Other "smoke" effects like rain sprays and offroad dirt look way better in my opinion.