PDA

View Full Version : VDash (A307 S101) (Android second-screen app)

flynny75
13-06-2015, 13:48
Finally an api section!

I am the author of VDash (http://vdash.pro), a virtual dashboard app for Android.

Its practically infinitely customisable, and you can easily export anything you make an import creations made by others.

Dashes can be downloaded from the website, as well as it containing various guides about how to use the app. You can upload your own Dashes to share if you are proud of them

No idea why VDash isn't included in the Community Apps web page (since it was one of the first available, and I have asked multiple times with no response), but feel free to use this thread to ask for help or feature requests.

For regular updates check out the updates page (vdash.pro/updates.php). You can also join the VDash Google+ Community (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/106701229911711284575)

STANDOUT FEATURES

Includes pre-made dashes if you just want to connect and go
Connect over WiFi (with ZeroConf technology) or USB (without changing any internet settings)
Automatic reconnect for both WiFi and USB if the app disconnects from the server
Practically infinitely customisable - import your own images and fonts - make it your own
Create authentic Dashes like in real cars, or your own more abstract designs
Live-edit Views and Dashes - see how they respond to live game data
Easy to use controls to reposition Views, change the Z-Order, and resize (anchor-drag or multi-touch)
Create 'Paged' Dashes, Dashes that have some static content, and some dynamic content (Like Motec or MXL displays)
Export your creations to the VDash website, and download new Dashes made by other users
Upload Dash updates straight to the VDash website and check for Dash updates without leaving the app
Load a practically infinite number of Dashes in the Workspace, and swipe or tap to change the current Dash
Map buttons on your wheel or almost any input device to change the current Dash in the Workspace, or or change the current Dash Page
Assign a Workspace set to a vehicle, then have that set load whenever you hit the track with that vehicle
Trial, Press, or Pro versions available
Many many types of different displays:

Single / Multi needle gauges
Bulb bars
Indicator lights
Timing information (current/best/session/time to ahead and behind participants)
Self-creating map (VDash produced the maps used by Race Monitor)
Radar
All very customisable

One server, one app, one purchase, supports multiple games with more to be supported soon
Already tested to be working with Google Chrome's ARC extension - Just waiting on Google to flick the switch then you can run VDash in your web browser at 100% functionality
Java server is easily ran on other operating systems. When ProjectCARS for SteamOS arrives, VDash will be ready not long after.

kwakaman39
14-06-2015, 17:51
Looks good. May pick this up later.

flynny75
19-06-2015, 22:23
Just to let people on here know, I'm maintaining a 'Live Updates' stream on the VDash Google+ community. This forum is more for feature requests / user help, and not so much for regular updates. You can either join the VDash Community (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/106701229911711284575), or if you dont use Google+, the same information is shown in the new updates page (http://vdash.pro/updates.php)on the VDash website.

TrevorAustin
19-06-2015, 22:56
If you plan on keeping us up to date on here I'll happily try. If i need to join another channel or site or forum or whatever good luck.

flynny75
20-06-2015, 10:24
If you plan on keeping us up to date on here I'll happily try. If i need to join another channel or site or forum or whatever good luck.

Its not so much that you need to make an account on the website, but its a common place where Dashes can be downloaded from (and uploaded to if you make an account).

I am posting in the Live Update stream regularly and I dont want to fill this thread with developer spam. I'll post here about releases though (and detailed changes)

flynny75
26-06-2015, 19:30
Seeing as the WMD forums for PCars 1 are being shutdown, I'll move all discussion and help to this thread (its a lot cleaner at least)

So, announcement today:
Update time!
Server 100 and app 305. UPDATE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.
Big changes in this one:
• New press flavour! If you want to review or something, contact me
• Renamed 'draw groups' to 'pages'
• fixed some incorrect menu appearances
• Fixed track name parsing
• Fixed fuel recording
• Wifi and USB auto reconnect!
• new connecting animation
• plugged some memory leaks
• improvements to multi-threading

Both will be available within hours of this posting.

I'm travelling to London for a few days looking for a flat, then will only have a laptop. This may be the last release for a few weeks unless something major is broken.

again. UPDATE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.

ZiggyUK
26-06-2015, 22:12
I must remember to badger Keithb23 for an up-to-date FRookie Dash again

flynny75
26-06-2015, 22:53
I still have a zip of it made july 2014... will be interesting to see if it still works...

EDIT: Naahh it was before the Text / Bar View, so uses dedicated OilTempView and OilPressureView etc etc which have now been removed. The background images are all intact though, it is a good base to go from. I'm sure he's cooking something up

MortICi
02-07-2015, 15:42
Long shot here, any chance or porting your app to other platforms like iOS or WP?

flynny75
02-07-2015, 16:58
Long shot here, any chance or porting your app to other platforms like iOS or WP?

Probably not going to happen.. WP might, as I heard they were working on implementing their own runtime, similar to how BlackBerry did it. It wasn't very good though... iOS is never going to happen. I don't agree with Apple as a company.

However, if you had a macbook or something lying around that ran Chrome, then you could run it on that as there is an extension for Chrome that allows you to run Android applications.

flynny75
03-07-2015, 12:52
The server has just been open-sourced!

I'll be accepting issues and pull requests, so if anyone has an inclining to add support for more games that I dont have (iRacing, rFactor) then feel free!

Least of all this puts more pressure on me to keep the code tidy if the world can see it...

The current master is build 100, with 101 (yet to be released) following after some major refactoring.

Keithb23
13-07-2015, 01:14
New dash up on the VDash Pro site, it's the Cosworth Omega dash used in the Ginetta GT3. You can download it here (http://vdash.pro/dash.php?id=100). I still have to add the warning led's, but I wanted to get it up on the site so you guys can test it. I've tried it on my two smaller tablets and it works fine, but I would like some others to try it because I was having an issue with some of the text bar views lining up. In the preview pictures the text appears to be misaligned, but when the car loads it is correct. Can anyone else confirm this for me? Also, don't forget that if the top and bottom of the dash are cut off, you can unlock the aspect ratio and the top and bottom should become visible. Give it a try.

@Ziggy
Once I have this one finished, I promise I'll get on the Frookie for you, mate! Let me know if there are any customizations you would like and I'll see what I can do. :)

ZiggyUK
13-07-2015, 01:52
@Keith

Oil & Water Temp digits. This is on a ASUS MeMO Pad 7 ME176 just from the Dash selection

Will test all other views and load up on some of my other tablets as well to test for you

ZiggyUK
13-07-2015, 02:25
@Alex.

Every time I use the "Autoswitch Workspace" option it crashes the app as soon as the app receives data from pcars. At first I thought it was my tablet causing the problem but after a lot of trial/error/removing/reinstalling/testing etc. etc. it is definitely the Autoswitch. This happens in both WiFi and USB modes. It happens on Android v4.x and v5.x tablets. The app is fine right up to the point it starts to receive data then it shuts down with report message displayed.

You are probably aware and it is written somewhere but in Android v4.x the "connection" option in the GUI does not respond. It is fine in android v5.x tablets.

Keithb23
13-07-2015, 06:25
@Keith

Oil & Water Temp digits. This is on a ASUS MeMO Pad 7 ME176 just from the Dash selection

Will test all other views and load up on some of my other tablets as well to test for you

That is actually correct, Ziggy. Once you load the car and drive on track the digits should shift over. Report back if they don't.

ZiggyUK
13-07-2015, 16:32
okay Keith I will test

flynny75
13-07-2015, 17:21
@Alex.

Every time I use the "Autoswitch Workspace" option it crashes the app as soon as the app receives data from pcars. At first I thought it was my tablet causing the problem but after a lot of trial/error/removing/reinstalling/testing etc. etc. it is definitely the Autoswitch. This happens in both WiFi and USB modes. It happens on Android v4.x and v5.x tablets. The app is fine right up to the point it starts to receive data then it shuts down with report message displayed.

There are no crashes directly related to the switching of Workspace configurations during the autoswitch phase. The only crashes I can see in Crashlytics are related to the VDash Image View causing an OutOfMemory error (not much I can do about that one without getting ugly... But I have seen enough of them that I might do it for 307...) and the Bulb Bar drawing its indicator bulb, and creating the lit bulb bitmaps. So it certainly looks like the bulb bar is having some trouble at the moment... The crashes that are related to game changes are going to be hard to find at the moment.

Can you replicate the Autoswitch problem with dashes that dont contain the bulb bar in both the 'leaving' workspace and in the 'entering' workspace?

You are probably aware and it is written somewhere but in Android v4.x the "connection" option in the GUI does not respond. It is fine in android v5.x tablets.

Nope, cant say that I am aware of it! Which option is this? I (probably) wont be able replicate it; my laptop wont run emulators, and all my devices run 5.x.

I've thought about the settings screen and some of them can be removed. The option for auto-reconnect can be removed (why would you ever disable it?) and an option for auto-connect for USB can be added (facilitated by the auto-reconnect).

@Keith
You should add links to your dashes to your sig :D

ZiggyUK
13-07-2015, 19:59
Nope, cant say that I am aware of it! Which option is this? I (probably) wont be able replicate it; my laptop wont run emulators, and all my devices run 5.x.

I've thought about the settings screen and some of them can be removed. The option for auto-reconnect can be removed (why would you ever disable it?) and an option for auto-connect for USB can be added (facilitated by the auto-reconnect).

Android v4.2

in Android v4.x the "connection" option in the GUI does not respond it remains on the same screen as you are on rather than switching to the connections screen

The option for auto-reconnect can be removed I would put in autoreconnect for both USB and WiFI regardless as whatever you are using you will always want the reconnect enable. Maybe have a "AutoConnect at Start Up" option for Wifi | USB | Off

ZiggyUK
13-07-2015, 20:00
Will try
Can you replicate the Autoswitch problem with dashes that dont contain the bulb bar in both the 'leaving' workspace and in the 'entering' workspace? later tonight

Keithb23
15-07-2015, 03:11
V3 of the Cosworth Omega is up. I have deleted some of the warning bulbs until Alex has a look at the issue. I fixed the text moving issue, I had the text aligned to the wrong side. Doh! All seems to work fine now. I also changed the font to the system font, it seems to match the real dash a little better. Link in signature, thanks for the tip Alex.

ZiggyUK
15-07-2015, 04:28
Thanks Keith :encouragement:

flynny75
15-07-2015, 17:01
@Ziggy
Got that missing Settings pane in, thanks for mentioning that!

@All
Caught that bulb bug. You can set the bulb to be 'off' when the alpha of the colour is more than... half I think. Something. When the value was equal or greater to the upper limit of the last range section it simply drew the last bitmap in the lit bitmap array. Unless, of course, that last bulb was more than half alpha, and it was an unlit bulb instead (so not in the lit bulb array). Simple fix is to check if its null, and if it is, draw the unlit instead.

Been looking for hours in the wrong place in the system... I should trust it more :P this was very much a 'Got you... you son of a b*tch' moment. Infuriating, but pretty satisfying.

So far I have found another bug with the indicator. I was using nested switch statements and missed the break from after the inner switch, causing them to all fall through to the fuel level value. Something to be aware of when using the indicator bulb is to use real values. For an on/off its either 1 or 0, but for discrete values such as temps you need to set the actual min/max values that you want your scale to care about, or the range percentages will be off. So, for example, for the water temp bulb, setting a min of 0 and max of 90 will cause the 100% of the scale to be reached at 90 degrees. The range percentage is calculated using (range percent = value / (range max - range min)), and its the range percentage that determines which bulb is drawn

I'm still checking things over, but you guys can rest easy knowing a fix is on its way. Thank you for your patience!

On a more personal note, I'm about to sign my rental agreement and move down to london in a week or two!

EDIT: Was also thinking about the Group option for the bulb bar... VDash cant quite do what the ginetta does... VDash can group ALL the bulb groups, or none, unfortunately it cant group a specific bulb group (in the ginetta case, the last group of orange LEDs all come on at once)

EDIT2: I also have my desktop back... I have taken over my parents' conservatory table :P

ZiggyUK
15-07-2015, 17:58
Maybe I will take you out for a pint sometime then if you coming up to the big smoke. Which side of London mate

flynny75
17-07-2015, 20:58
Maybe I will take you out for a pint sometime then if you coming up to the big smoke. Which side of London mate

Living about 5 min walk from woolwich arsenal station

@All
So, I've only just really started playing ETS2, what sort of data would people find useful from it? I have general stuff about truck, navigation distance, source/destination cities...

ZiggyUK
17-07-2015, 23:11
Living about 5 min walk from woolwich arsenal station

Definitely then, I come from 'Upper Belvedere' (you will learn these places when you move) but moved to Rochester.

Raymond de Vries
18-07-2015, 05:02
Best android app. around with "Assign a Workspace set to a vehicle, then have that set load whenever you hit the track with that vehicle", works great, really love it.

flynny75
18-07-2015, 21:52
I'm making a 'condition' dash to use new data types (tyre/brake/sus condition/temps) and using the wheel info view... But the colours are all wrong.

What do people think is a good temperature range for cold/hot/overheat that works across all tyres (the API doesn't provide the tyre). I know the brakes go green at about 600°

The next update (soon) will require a server update for ETS2 and some missing pcars data

Keithb23
18-07-2015, 22:26
Ziggy would be a good person to answer that question I should think. He has loads of experience with that sort of thing and he has a large group in the Gents club to draw on for advice as well.

ZiggyUK
18-07-2015, 23:11
I'm making a 'condition' dash to use new data types (tyre/brake/sus condition/temps) and using the wheel info view... But the colours are all wrong.

What do people think is a good temperature range for cold/hot/overheat that works across all tyres (the API doesn't provide the tyre). I know the brakes go green at about 600°

The next update (soon) will require a server update for ETS2 and some missing pcars data

Temp Range - I shall ask the Gents their thoughts on this one

Keithb23
19-07-2015, 02:35
Okay, guys, new dash is up (Da-da-da-dah!!!!!), The Pi Research Omega D4 used in the Aston Martin GT3 and the BMW GT2 cars. There are also variants of this dash used in the Palmer Jaguar and the Formula 3 cars, which I will add at a later time. Still to come in v2 is the led rev bar.

The only thing I wasn't able to include in this version is the bar markers. I just wasn't able to get them to line up where I wanted them. Basically I wanted a bar marker every ten segments up until the '8', but I couldn't get the markers to do that. Either I wasn't doing something correctly, or that part is bugged? Alex if you could download the dash and give it a look I would appreciate any tips, as you usually find a few things that I should have done a little differently. It would also be nice to have the option to have a bar marker starting at segment one, as in the real dash.

Other than that, I'm pretty chuffed about this one, and the app in general. I've been seeing lots of good comments and feedback regarding the app and the dashes, so good on you Alex, and good on the rest of you for putting the app out there!

Photonenbert
19-07-2015, 09:27

might be difficult to do so: (numbers are in celsius)

LMP1 brakes are good from like 700°-1300°.
But the brakes of the ginetta G40 are overheating before that. (dont have the correct numbers, but you see my point)

that is due to the huge performance differences of the cars and the type of brakes like carbon ceramic or steel or what ever.
so that is for brakes. THe LMP1 can do 24h races....not sure about the Ginetta G40 :p

with tires its a lot better I think.

it is mostly the range between 85(90)-(100)105°. The difference between the cars are a lot less with tires.

Im not sure how the in game HUD manages it, but it might be cool if you can change the temp range in the app incase the colors dont fit a certain car/tire combination. Same for the brakes.

flynny75
19-07-2015, 11:41
might be difficult to do so: (numbers are in celsius)

LMP1 brakes are good from like 700°-1300°.
But the brakes of the ginetta G40 are overheating before that. (dont have the correct numbers, but you see my point)

that is due to the huge performance differences of the cars and the type of brakes like carbon ceramic or steel or what ever.
so that is for brakes. THe LMP1 can do 24h races....not sure about the Ginetta G40 :p

with tires its a lot better I think.

it is mostly the range between 85(90)-(100)105°. The difference between the cars are a lot less with tires.

Im not sure how the in game HUD manages it, but it might be cool if you can change the temp range in the app incase the colors dont fit a certain car/tire combination. Same for the brakes.

Thanks for the info! Yeah the ranges can all be adjusted in-app, I'm just trying to set good defaults. To make this 'condition' dash work for different class cars then you'd need to modify the temp ranges then save it again with a different name, so use the telemetry and see when it gets most green and work around that. Its all possible, just not very nice (I wish the API would supply optimum temp ranges, or at least current tyres, then I could put all good defaults in myself)

It might be good if the app allowed you to load dashes for a car class as well (then the ranges should be near enough the same). So the first dashes in the workspace would be the dashes for the current car (or default), then the dashes for the current car class (if any). Then you wouldn't need to modify the conditions dash per car, only per car class.

flynny75
20-07-2015, 22:46
The only thing I wasn't able to include in this version is the bar markers. I just wasn't able to get them to line up where I wanted them. Basically I wanted a bar marker every ten segments up until the '8', but I couldn't get the markers to do that. Either I wasn't doing something correctly, or that part is bugged? Alex if you could download the dash and give it a look I would appreciate any tips, as you usually find a few things that I should have done a little differently. It would also be nice to have the option to have a bar marker starting at segment one, as in the real dash.

Hmm... In the car the markers are for the numbers, but the distance between 2 and 4 is less than 4 and 5, so its not a linear scale. VDash cant do non-linear scales at the moment. There was a few issues with the bar markers that I have fixed, and also implemented the option to change the unlit colour of the markers so it matches the normal bars. This is as close as I can get at the moment:
AndroidStudio can frame screenshots automatically #neat

As you can see, the bar markers dont line up with the numbers (non-linear thing), but also if you look at the dash in the game as well the bar markers dont exactly hit their respective limits either (all the markers past 2 are not in line with their real RPM values)

Other than that, I'm pretty chuffed about this one, and the app in general. I've been seeing lots of good comments and feedback regarding the app and the dashes, so good on you Alex, and good on the rest of you for putting the app out there!

Same from me! Got to keep spreading the word!

But man did I feel like an idiot earlier... Keith, you've been putting the permalinks in your sig.. and I didnt implement the download button! I've fixed it now but... pretty stupid.

Spent all weekend fixing bugs and making new conditions dash (formally known as 'Tech1'). I think it will be pretty useful for endurance races! Also tested AC again but its just broken... their API is rubbish. Ah well. Sector3 very nicely put their R3E SDK on github recently so I have added support for almost all its data now, along with some fields for ETS2. Not quite sure where to go with that one.. I think it was mainly a test for me to see how hard it would be to add support for games that dont supply their own MMF or socket output.. it went well at least!

I'll get the last of R3Es data in and publish an update, hopefully tomorrow. Then you can start using the indicator bulbs, as well being able to get the rev bar *almost* how you want it...

Keithb23
21-07-2015, 00:38
Thanks for the update Alex. With regards to the numbers on the rev bar, they aren't static, so are easily moved, I cheated again and used dummy labels. Once the bar markers are in I'll move the numbers to line up better. What you have shown in the picture looks perfect. If you could send me the dash back with those bar markers I would appreciate it so I can take a closer look to see what you did and ask questions if necessary after. No worries about the download. Speaking of dumb, funny story from work today; We have two technicians named Keith, myself and another much younger gent. We were discussing an open work order and it was assigned to 'Keith'. I knew the job wasn't mine, but I still asked "Keith who?". Duh....!:stupid: Let me tell you, I really got a ribbing over that one from the rest of the guys.

I tested for two hours last night, have the sore bottom to prove it (damn Rseat and their shitty seat padding!) and the app was rock solid. I assigned dashes to several cars and loaded them successfully numerous times without an issue. If I have time tonight I'll try a 30 lap race to see how it does. This was through usb. I will also test with wireless to see how that is as well.

flynny75
21-07-2015, 19:08
Updates merged to master branches and pushed up to version control... Release builds compiling...

EDIT: Eeesh... 5 minutes on this beast machine... Uploading to Play / Amazon...
EDIT: Aaaannd they're up! Should be seeing them soon

xxTheGoDxx
21-07-2015, 21:24
Hi there, just bought the Android app after testing the free one but sadly it doesn't work. The free app connected w/o a problem to server version 100. The paid app crashed when I tried to connect to the same server. I than realized that the server got updated to 101 and downloaded this (vdash.pro/server/VDashJavaServer_S101.zip), installed it in a fresh folder with the old server shut down. Well, this version still says 100 at the top and reminds me that 101 is available. If I connect from the Android app I get the message that server/app is out of date.

Galaxy Tab S 8.4 Lollipop 5.0.1 (App Version 1.3.7-google Build 307) <-> Windows 8.1 x64

flynny75
21-07-2015, 21:55
Hi there, just bought the Android app after testing the free one but sadly it doesn't work. The free app connected w/o a problem to server version 100. The paid app crashed when I tried to connect to the same server. I than realized that the server got updated to 101 and downloaded this (vdash.pro/server/VDashJavaServer_S101.zip), installed it in a fresh folder with the old server shut down. Well, this version still says 100 at the top and reminds me that 101 is available. If I connect from the Android app I get the message that server/app is out of date.

Galaxy Tab S 8.4 Lollipop 5.0.1 (App Version 1.3.7-google Build 307) <-> Windows 8.1 x64

Whoops, I forgot to update the titlebar and internal version number of the server. Looks like you picked an inconvenient time to purchase! :P I have just uploaded a fixed 101.

flynny75
22-07-2015, 12:39
Doh, completely forgot about the internal API numbering. Have uploaded server 102 and app 308

@Keith
I have shared the updated rev bar on Google Drive. If you import it in the Edit View screen you wont have to worry about re-adding it to the dash (as it will just be replaced)

@All
I have uploaded the Tech1 dash to the website (http://vdash.pro/dash.php?id=102). I think it will be pretty good for endurance races... although, at the moment, it is pretty heavy on the CPU. The bars / circles are composed of individually drawn lines (!!). I will implement a 'continuous' mode for the bar to improve performance, then update the dash once the app update is out (with a few more minor bug fixes... SMH...) (thats when I'll upload amazon as well, their update process takes longer than Google's)

EDIT: And Server 103 as well, some tyre temps come from the API as cels, some as kelvin. I didnt notice, and didnt convert them to K before sending them (the app expects them all in K). Not a required update.

EDIT2: Hmm.. perhaps it isnt clear... the inner circles are tyre condition, outer circles are brake condition, and the vertical bars are suspension condition. Tyre colours are Tyre Temp data type (all three zones are the same data type), this seems better than 'guessing' with tread/carcass/rim, but you can always change this back. Tyre / brake temp colour ranges may need to be adjusted per car (currently configured for Z4 GT3). SPLIT_F is delta time to person in front, and SPLIT_B for behind. LOCAL being local time. Dash doesnt have pages, couldnt think of anything to fill the spaces or anything that would be particularly useful for endurance.

EDIT3: It looks like the optimisation for the bars will be pretty difficult.. I can draw straight lines as a gradient, or ovals as a gradient, but not generic Paths (at least not without writing some OpenGL shader stuff, and I'm not getting into that rabbit hole)

Keithb23
26-07-2015, 06:16
New dash up by special request from Ziggy. It's the Formula Rookie dash. The right side indicator is for abs, the left side is for low oil pressure. You can easily change those to whatever you want. Just go into edit dash, press and hold the indicator, select edit style, select indicator, and then pick datatype to change it to something else.

Edit:
If you don't want the extra fuel gauge and rpm bar, just go into edit dash, press and hold, and then click the trash can. Done!

Edit, edit:
I can easily add lap count, gear, and position views to this if you want, there is lots of space at the bottom of the ot and wt gauges.

ZiggyUK
26-07-2015, 17:09
Keith ... thanks mate we love you :encouragement:

and the download link works as well on the vdash site so well done Alex :D

Keithb23
26-07-2015, 18:08
@Alex,
I forget if it's possible to pad the space between the numbers and the bar markers? I find the numbers a bit crowded on the bar markers in the frookie dash I just did.

Keithb23
26-07-2015, 18:11
I was going to start on the McLaren F1 Longtail dash for a change of pace, but if there is something one of you guys need for online league racing, I'd be happy to help out. Just let me know if there is a dash you really, really need and I'll put it to the top of the list!

Keithb23
26-07-2015, 18:17
Best android app. around with "Assign a Workspace set to a vehicle, then have that set load whenever you hit the track with that vehicle", works great, really love it.

I just took another look at this Raymond, I have to say, that is really cool! Is that a phone or a tablet you are using? I've been busy trying different sized tablets and my S5, still haven't found the perfect size yet.:dejection:

ZiggyUK
26-07-2015, 23:56
I was going to start on the McLaren F1 Longtail dash for a change of pace, but if there is something one of you guys need for online league racing, I'd be happy to help out. Just let me know if there is a dash you really, really need and I'll put it to the top of the list!

Ginetta G40 Dash

ZiggyUK
27-07-2015, 00:01
Actually on the VDash Dashes page (http://vdash.pro/expansion_dashes.php)can there be a section that lists which vehicles the dash applies too. Obviously those creating them know but the humble driver may not.

so for instance

Uploaded by: keithb23
Uploaded on: 2015-07-26 03:28:23
Downloads: 9
Size: 1280x736
Version :2
Changelog: Base dash with multiple pages. Updated rev bar.
Vehicles: Aston Martin GT3 | BMW GT2 |

F1_Racer68
27-07-2015, 00:33
Two questions guys.

1.) Can the speed be changed to MPH rather than KPH? I run MPH in game, but the vDash is showing KPH.
2.) I can't seem to get Server Button assignments to work. I have the phone mounted to my G27 and can't really reach through/around to change to a different screen while racing. I want to assign the right button on the shifter panel (Button 18, or "O" in PlayStation mode). While the Server app recognizes the setting, once in game it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks!

Keithb23
27-07-2015, 05:11
The units for speed are changed within the app itself and are independant of the game. If you click and hold the view you are using for speed, and then select edit style, and then under the data type field, you should get an option to change the data for the view and the units - kph or mph.

@Ziggy,
Ginetta G40 it is!

With regards to the server button assignments, make sure you are selecting the correct device when assigning the buttons. You will often have several to chose from and sometimes they are a little obscure in their labels, so choose carefully. I've been fooled by this one before myself.

Raymond de Vries
27-07-2015, 05:22
I just took another look at this Raymond, I have to say, that is really cool! Is that a phone or a tablet you are using? I've been busy trying different sized tablets and my S5, still haven't found the perfect size yet.:dejection:

Thanks, That's a phone, Keith.
A Samsung Galaxy Mega GT-I9205 with 6.3 inch screen. It's more or less a budgetphone, So you can pick it up cheap i guess.
It's a 2/3 year old phone now.

xxTheGoDxx
27-07-2015, 08:37
Am I the only one with disconnects and connection freezing? SimRacing Dash works fluid while VDASH seems to freeze every few minutes.

http://imgur.com/ezRgfru

Edit: Better example, after like 1 1/2 laps: http://imgur.com/c3s9AnJ

Keithb23
28-07-2015, 05:03
@xxTheGoDxx
Are connecting wirelessly or via usb? Are you using the latest version of the app and server? Latest version of the server is 104, and latest version of the app is app version 1.3.10, build 310.

xxTheGoDxx
28-07-2015, 11:36
H man. I tried it only wireless, but it seems that I can't use USB either since the server can't find the device that way which is strange since manual ADB prompts work (btw, don't you need the ADB.exe packed with the server for it to work?). I use both the server and the app version you listed.

EDIT: Could it be that somebody forget to pack ADB.exe with his app? ;-) Just copied ADB.exe, ADBWinApi.dll and ADBWinUSBApi.dll into the install folder of the server and now I am connected via USB. Sadly I am in a rush now but will test later if the connection is stable via USB.

Keithb23
29-07-2015, 02:23
I just downloaded the android developer kit and used that. The trick for me has been finding the correct usb driver for the device, but it can be done with a little searching and trial and error.

F1_Racer68
29-07-2015, 02:34
Is there any benefit (other than keeping the battery charged) to using USB rater than WiFi? I have been using WiFI successfully for many months now.

Keithb23
29-07-2015, 03:41
@F1 Racer 68
There is not really any benefit to using usb over wifi unless you have issues with lag, sometimes usb will perform better and be a little more responsive.

@Ziggy
I have started the Ginetta G40 dash and have somewhat of a template for you to check out. I'm not quite sure how to deal with the floating gear indicator. I could leave the dash as is, or I could increase the size of the dash and place the gear indicator in a better position that doesn't waste so much screen space. Take a look below and let me know what you think. Others feel free to chime in as well. There isn't any reason why I couldn't post multiple versions either.

For example, I could center the dash part and move the gear indicator, thus making room to increase the size of the dash slightly, and still have the gear indicator as well.

Edit:
Something like this, an example with the gear indicator moved to the bottom left corner

ZiggyUK
29-07-2015, 14:04
So excited, thanks Keith for you work on this. I would go somewhere between those 2 screenshots. The first has too much dead space and the second loses the overall shape of the dashboard.

What about putting the gear indicator over the top left of the dials, I will try to create the idea ...

Looking at it the gear indicator appears to be looking to the left so maybe put it on the RHS instead ????

edit: or re-angle it like this

Keithb23
29-07-2015, 14:13
That looks good, Ziggy, I'll work with your second example. Can you email me the image of the gear indicator you used for the second example? It will save me having to do it again myself. I'm off to another track-day event tomorrow and won't be home until Sunday, so it will be next week before I make any more progress on this one.

xxTheGoDxx
29-07-2015, 15:19
EDIT: Just realized I confused Keithb23 with the app developer...thanks for the support either way :-)

Ok, USB works flawlessly. If any of you have an idea whats causing the disconnects via wifi at my device shoot me a post, otherwise I am very happy with USB (its even lower latency than wifi when the latter seemed to work normally). But as I said, you should include the ADB file/s in your next server update for USB to properly work (or have I overseen something?).

BTW, could it be that the Current S3 Time and Last S3 Time data fields are wrong? Current seems to just count backwards and also fire when S2 should. http://imgur.com/8YiTC2U

Also, I cant seem to use button mappings too.

ZiggyUK
29-07-2015, 22:13
That looks good, Ziggy, I'll work with your second example. Can you email me the image of the gear indicator you used for the second example? It will save me having to do it again myself. I'm off to another track-day event tomorrow and won't be home until Sunday, so it will be next week before I make any more progress on this one.

Any preference for picture format ?

edit: emailed you Keith with photoshop psd and png's. Tell me if you need anything else.

flynny75
31-07-2015, 18:30
Wwwwoooooooo all moved in new house now. Had to get a new, smaller desk though :( Triple monitor stand will be on its way soon, as well as perhaps a WheelStand pro, although I might just give up and accept a desk clamp if it gets me 2ft closer to the screens.

@Alex,
I forget if it's possible to pad the space between the numbers and the bar markers? I find the numbers a bit crowded on the bar markers in the frookie dash I just did.

Not sure which things... do you mean the main ticks and digits? I can add a padding property between the ticks and digits, no problem

Actually on the VDash Dashes page (http://vdash.pro/expansion_dashes.php)can there be a section that lists which vehicles the dash applies too. Obviously those creating them know but the humble driver may not.

There is the concept of car > dash, but not dash > car. The data that links a car to a dash is not contained in the dash itself, its contained in the app's (as a whole) data, which is not exported. I think it would work best by adding a setting to the website rather than the dash (gets around possible localisation issues), and doesn't imply any kind of automatic configuration changes (although you've downloaded an Atom 300 dash, you would still have to manually link it to the car)

Two questions guys.

2.) I can't seem to get Server Button assignments to work. I have the phone mounted to my G27 and can't really reach through/around to change to a different screen while racing. I want to assign the right button on the shifter panel (Button 18, or "O" in PlayStation mode). While the Server app recognizes the setting, once in game it doesn't seem to work.

Have you resolved this? If you can catch the button presses when configuring the server but not during the game it is indicitive of a bigger problem somewhere.

H man. I tried it only wireless, but it seems that I can't use USB either since the server can't find the device that way which is strange since manual ADB prompts work (btw, don't you need the ADB.exe packed with the server for it to work?). I use both the server and the app version you listed.

EDIT: Could it be that somebody forget to pack ADB.exe with his app? ;-) Just copied ADB.exe, ADBWinApi.dll and ADBWinUSBApi.dll into the install folder of the server and now I am connected via USB. Sadly I am in a rush now but will test later if the connection is stable via USB.

ADB is packaged with the jar and extracted to a temporary directory. It is a little hard for me to test however, with the Android SDK installed.

Is there any benefit (other than keeping the battery charged) to using USB rater than WiFi? I have been using WiFI successfully for many months now.

The USB connection is more reliable, and probably faster. The WiFi connection is UDP, which means if you have a poor connection or bad signal you may miss packets and the app thinks it has disconnected.

EDIT: Just realized I confused Keithb23 with the app developer...thanks for the support either way :-)

Ok, USB works flawlessly. If any of you have an idea whats causing the disconnects via wifi at my device shoot me a post, otherwise I am very happy with USB (its even lower latency than wifi when the latter seemed to work normally). But as I said, you should include the ADB file/s in your next server update for USB to properly work (or have I overseen something?).

BTW, could it be that the Current S3 Time and Last S3 Time data fields are wrong? Current seems to just count backwards and also fire when S2 should. http://imgur.com/8YiTC2U

Also, I cant seem to use button mappings too.

Haha, Keith is a seemingly very dedicated tester! :P Again, if you open the .jar as an archive (winRAR, 7Zip or something) you will see the adb files in there. They are extracted to temp. I will removed the SDK from my system path and see what happens to check this is still working...

And I'll check out those split times.

New dashes looking pretty slick as usual Keith :)

xxTheGoDxx
31-07-2015, 23:33
Have you resolved this? If you can catch the button presses when configuring the server but not during the game it is indicitive of a bigger problem somewhere.Same problem for me. The server catches the press but it looks kind of strange since the value it displays changes from 1 to 0 after you released the button. Pressing asign doesn't do much wether you hold the button while doing so or doing it afterwards (argh, my english). The mapping is present in the settings.txt though. The problem exists for me under Win 8.1 and 10.

ADB is packaged with the jar and extracted to a temporary directory. It is a little hard for me to test however, with the Android SDK installed.Ok, sorry for jumping to conclusions then ;-) Anyway, it worked for me only after I copied the mentioned files over. Interestingly enough I got the Android SDK installed as well.
The USB connection is more reliable, and probably faster. The WiFi connection is UDP, which means if you have a poor connection or bad signal you may miss packets and the app thinks it has disconnected.Ok, that probably explains my issues. I can stream 1080p video (but barely when high bitrate) but UDP requires a more stable connection. But USB is fine for me.

Keithb23
03-08-2015, 03:45
Congrats on the new place, Alex. I will expect to see some piccy's up on Google+ soon, mate! :)

Oh, and yes, I was meaning the space between the digits and the main ticks.

And...oh...oh, yes! The idea of setting up the website to handle groupings for dashes is brill! I think I have most of them written down somewhere, so I will attempt to get that info out asap. Just working on the video from my track day last friday. Awesome day and the car was fantastic, performed very strong, tires held up great! It's such a rush to actually get real track experience in a performance car. I've been bitten by the track day bug rather badly I'm afraid.:glee:

And by the way, Mods, these smiley icons really suck compared to what we had on the old forum. Barbershop quartet? Really? When in the name of all that is holy would anyone need to emoticon barbershop quartet? Something like, "I really love this game, reminds me of my old days in the barbershop quartet!"...pffft! Just sayin'.:P

F1_Racer68
03-08-2015, 04:43
Have you resolved this? If you can catch the button presses when configuring the server but not during the game it is indicitive of a bigger problem somewhere.

Well, that's the thing.... It's not really resolved. I am able to program the button on the server app, but it is not recognized in game. If I try other buttons I can get the game to recognize it, but some are and some aren't. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong on the server side. I'm trying to set it up using the button shown below:

The procedure is as follows:

Click on "Touch" button. Select "Logitech G27 Racing Wheel USB" from drop down device menu. Press button on controller and click OK.

I also make sure the button is NOT assigned to any function within the game.

It just seems like it is fussy about which button I use.....

P.S. Congratulations on the new place. Glad to hear you are settling in.

spencerrg
03-08-2015, 08:43
i'm still having the same issues (exactly the same) as f1 racer and others as stated. A fix would be great

Keithb23
03-08-2015, 17:15
I'll test the controller assignment as well to see if I can confirm the issue.

Raymond de Vries
03-08-2015, 18:24
For example, I could center the dash part and move the gear indicator, thus making room to increase the size of the dash slightly, and still have the gear indicator as well.

Edit:
Something like this, an example with the gear indicator moved to the bottom left corner

This one would fit my setup best I think, If you like to do this one as well , please :)

Keithb23
04-08-2015, 01:00
Will do, Raymond. Glad to help out. :)

ZiggyUK
04-08-2015, 01:55
@Keith: Cosworth Omega > Fuel used last lap ... very strange results. After 20 laps of Donnington in a Ginetta G40 it reckoned I was using 65kg etc per lap .... the fuel tank is only 45kg

@Alex: After a pit stop the req fuel to finish the race was wrong. I will test again tomorrow night but whilst I remembered I thought it best to post up now.

Keithb23
05-08-2015, 01:59
@Ziggy
Alex will have to look at the fuel calc. issue, as I haven't a clue, :P, I'll do some testing though, to see what's what.

@Alex
I did some testing last evening with assigning the buttons and it appears as if the touch button is borked. All the other button assignments work fine, but when assigning a button to 'Touch', nothing happens when the button chosen is activated. I was able to assign buttons to change the dash forward and back fine, and to navigate the views fine, it was only the touch button that wasn't working. I would appreciate if a few of you that are experiencing the same problem would test and confirm.

F1_Racer68
05-08-2015, 02:45
@Alex
I did some testing last evening with assigning the buttons and it appears as if the touch button is borked. All the other button assignments work fine, but when assigning a button to 'Touch', nothing happens when the button chosen is activated. I was able to assign buttons to change the dash forward and back fine, and to navigate the views fine, it was only the touch button that wasn't working. I would appreciate if a few of you that are experiencing the same problem would test and confirm.

Confirmed! That is exactly my finding as well. Thanks for testing it @Keithb23. Glad to know it wasn't just me :)

ZiggyUK
05-08-2015, 14:38
Confirmation that "Touch" button not working

flynny75
05-08-2015, 19:47
Eugh... 3 days into new job and im tired as f*ck. Commuting is taking it out of me, get home dead. Its a shame I cant tell you guys about the job as its errr... well.. I just legally can't. But I can say that as a first job after university I am in some serious deep water. New place is nice, but I probably wont be sharing pics of that either :P just know it has a nice garden for BBQs, a nice-ish sized room, and measured 100Mb/s down and 6Mb/s up. Not bad.

I think I have some fuel changes ready to go along with new padding option. Its just been sitting here, but I've been too fried to do anything about it. I'll look into the touch issue right now* and probably upload new builds at the weekend.

Sorry about the delay, but as I'm sure you can all imagine, starting any new job is stressful, but couple that with getting used to London and the stress of this being a serious serious job** (and the pressure from that) is just making me want to take my brain out and sit in front of the TV all evening.

I'm sure things will get back to normality soon***

*after tea

**So serious I cant tell you how serious it is. Seriously.

***Whatever your definition of normality may be.

ZiggyUK
05-08-2015, 20:55
Don't sweat it Alex, we can wait. I am sure the others are like me and remember their first jobs and what that is like.

F1_Racer68
05-08-2015, 22:49
Don't sweat it Alex, we can wait. I am sure the others are like me and remember their first jobs and what that is like.

Heck, I'm in my 4th job and it's not much different now. The job that pays your bills comes first and foremost (unless family is involved). We come a distant fourth (Yourself, job and family are top 3).

We know you will get to it when you can. It's not like the app is completely broken and unusable. We can wait.

Hope things settle down for you soon so you can start enjoying the experience of first job and first home the way you should be enjoying it.

Cheers!

Keithb23
06-08-2015, 00:19
Wow, that sounds very serious! :)

The others have said it very well, pal, no pressure at all. Your job sounds very hush, hush and important, so focus on that and getting used to your new life in London, mate!

Keithb23
06-08-2015, 06:22
I've added the Ginetta G40 to the downloads page. Check it out and let me know if you have suggestions for changes. This is a very basic version with dials and gear only. Will add rest later. I haven't forgotten you, Raymond, I will have yours up soonest as well. :)

Here's a link (http://vdash.pro/dash.php?id=104), I'll add it to my sig later, I'm off to bed. Yawn....

flynny75
06-08-2015, 19:08
There was a bug in the Manage Views dialogue (it always showed every view as being the Touch view), but I couldn't reproduce the bug with the server. I can set the touch, and it persists after a server restart (so it certainly appears to be saving/loading touch assignments there). Are you sure you are setting the server touch view in the dash and saving it? Setting the touch view doesn't save it automatically. Should it?

If you start the server with the show console launcher you should see outputs similar to

Got server input event : 3

when you press the button (while the app is connected) 3 being the code for a touch event

EDIT: I might make the bottom-left section of the website show a random dash rather than just the 4 squares... could be cool...

Keithb23
07-08-2015, 00:25
That could be it Flynny! I know I tested the touch view in the server without setting touch on the dash. I will test when I get home from work.

Edit:
Confirmed! If you assign the touch function to a view like the 'notMotec' view, and then assign a button on your controller to change that view, it works.

How to assign the 'Touch' function:
1. Tap 'Edit dash' in the functions menu in the upper left corner of the app.
2. Load a dash that has the 'notMotec' view as part of the dash.
3. Tap the three vertical dots on the upper right hand side of the edit dash screen.
4. Tap 'Manage views'.
5. Tap the hand with the finger pointing beside the view labelled 'notmotec'
6. Tap the yellow 'DONE'.
7. Save the dash.
8. Go back to the function menu and tap 'Workspace'.
9. Load the dash you just saved.
10. Start the server on your pc and if you haven't done so, assign a key or button on your controller to the 'Touch' function. When you first do this you will get a drop down list of all the available controllers on your pc. It might be quite long and sometimes the controller names are a little cryptic. It is critical that you select the right controller, or this won't work. If you have the correct controller you should be able to assign a key to the 'Touch' function. After saving it will change to 'Set'. Once you have set the controller you should be able to test the function to make sure it is working without actually needing to start the game. You need to be connected to the server to test the function, though.

So in short, two things need to happen for server touch to work, first, the touch needs to be assigned to a view in the app, and second, the 'Touch' function needs to be assigned to a key or button in the server app. Once those two things are done, it should be happy sailing.

The 'Touch' function is only really useful if you are using the notMotec view, though. With the newer dashes that use multiple view groups, it is much better to assign the draw groups 'Prev' and 'Next' to buttons on your controller allowing you to go forward and backward through the different pages in the dashes with multiple views. If you only want to assign one button, just use the draw groups 'Next' key and that will serve the same purpose as the 'Touch' function with the notMotec view.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Alex, but though touching the screen allows you to move through multiple page dashes, the only way to assign the 'Touch' function to accomplish this would be if the designer of the dash grouped everything under one view, something that I haven't bothered doing, as using the 'draw groups 'next' and 'prev' accomplishes the same thing. I could very well be making an error in my workflow, though, so any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Keithb23
07-08-2015, 04:14
New version of the G40 dash is up. Added rev bar, current and best times, gear change led, and various small fixes. Link in my signature. I will endeavor to add fuel lap and position to the data screen in the next couple of days.

spencerrg
08-08-2015, 06:34
That could be it Flynny! I know I tested the touch view in the server without setting touch on the dash. I will test when I get home from work.

Edit:
Confirmed! If you assign the touch function to a view like the 'notMotec' view, and then assign a button on your controller to change that view, it works.

How to assign the 'Touch' function:
1. Tap 'Edit dash' in the functions menu in the upper left corner of the app.
2. Load a dash that has the 'notMotec' view as part of the dash.
3. Tap the three vertical dots on the upper right hand side of the edit dash screen.
4. Tap 'Manage views'.
5. Tap the hand with the finger pointing beside the view labelled 'notmotec'
6. Tap the yellow 'DONE'.
7. Save the dash.
8. Go back to the function menu and tap 'Workspace'.
9. Load the dash you just saved.
10. Start the server on your pc and if you haven't done so, assign a key or button on your controller to the 'Touch' function. When you first do this you will get a drop down list of all the available controllers on your pc. It might be quite long and sometimes the controller names are a little cryptic. It is critical that you select the right controller, or this won't work. If you have the correct controller you should be able to assign a key to the 'Touch' function. After saving it will change to 'Set'. Once you have set the controller you should be able to test the function to make sure it is working without actually needing to start the game. You need to be connected to the server to test the function, though.

So in short, two things need to happen for server touch to work, first, the touch needs to be assigned to a view in the app, and second, the 'Touch' function needs to be assigned to a key or button in the server app. Once those two things are done, it should be happy sailing.

The 'Touch' function is only really useful if you are using the notMotec view, though. With the newer dashes that use multiple view groups, it is much better to assign the draw groups 'Prev' and 'Next' to buttons on your controller allowing you to go forward and backward through the different pages in the dashes with multiple views. If you only want to assign one button, just use the draw groups 'Next' key and that will serve the same purpose as the 'Touch' function with the notMotec view.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Alex, but though touching the screen allows you to move through multiple page dashes, the only way to assign the 'Touch' function to accomplish this would be if the designer of the dash grouped everything under one view, something that I haven't bothered doing, as using the 'draw groups 'next' and 'prev' accomplishes the same thing. I could very well be making an error in my workflow, though, so any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Wow awesome!!! I can't believe that was the only issue stopping me from getting this to work. Great job and i am sure there will be many others that will have as much praise as i do!!! THANKYOU

Keithb23
08-08-2015, 07:56
You're very welcome! Enjoy the app! :)

ZiggyUK
09-08-2015, 19:38
New version of the G40 dash is up. Added rev bar, current and best times, gear change led, and various small fixes. Link in my signature. I will endeavor to add fuel lap and position to the data screen in the next couple of days.

ASUS KO13 Android 5

flynny75
09-08-2015, 20:30
Bugger. The slashes ("w/gear") are confusing the exporting/importing system, and potentially the internal saves.

For example...
'com.flynn.vdash.views.VDashImageView_&0&_Ginetta G40 w/gear' is interpreted as 'com.flynn.vdash.views.VDashImageView_&0&_Ginetta G40 w' as a directory, and a file called 'gear' (the actual file) inside that.

hence the giant VDash logo (the system is failing to load the style for that view)

Keithb23
10-08-2015, 02:59
Fixed version is up, still v2 as all I did was rename the dash view to 'with gear' instead of using the slash. My bad...:shame:

I won't use any weird characters in my file names in the future, promise!

ZiggyUK
10-08-2015, 03:29
excellent work you guys > tried and tested ok

Keithb23
11-08-2015, 06:18
Another dash up, this is the modified Ginetta G40 requested by Raymond, you can get it from the link in my siggy!

P.S.
There's a little added bonus, look carefully at the indicators in the middle whilst braking, turning on the headlights, or if you turn off the ignition. :D
I'll be adding these to the other Ginetta dash as well.

Keithb23
11-08-2015, 06:23
@Alex,
I don't know if this is in the API, flynny, but is there an option to show the split time from the previous lap? I see that in a lot of the dashes in game, but haven't been able to determine how to add that to the app.

Keithb23
11-08-2015, 06:24
50 Posts! Only 50 more and I'm at a hundred! I have an amazing grasp of the obvious tonight! ;)

Oh, and by the way, Alex, just to not make this post completely superfluous, I've been working on my smaller tablet, it's a Dell Venue 8, 1280x800 res. I had been using my larger tablet, but thought the huge resolution might be overkill. With the way the app is able to keep a constant size (not sure of the magic involved in that, flynny...you are an amazing dude, after all!) does the high resolution of my Samsung Galaxy note 12.1 (something like 2500x1400) make a difference? Can I go back to that tablet for editing or should I stick with the Venue 8?

F1_Racer68
11-08-2015, 18:08
50 Posts! Only 50 more and I'm at a hundred! I have an amazing grasp of the obvious tonight! ;)

Oh, and by the way, Alex, just to not make this post completely superfluous, I've been working on my smaller tablet, it's a Dell Venue 8, 1280x800 res. I had been using my larger tablet, but thought the huge resolution might be overkill. With the way the app is able to keep a constant size (not sure of the magic involved in that, flynny...you are an amazing dude, after all!) does the high resolution of my Samsung Galaxy note 12.1 (something like 2500x1400) make a difference? Can I go back to that tablet for editing or should I stick with the Venue 8?

That 100 post milestone is a pretty good feeling. I hit it yesterday (this is post 101) :) I was almost expecting trumpets and fanfare when I hit the POST button...... LOL

Keithb23
13-08-2015, 00:53

Da-Da-Da-Dah! :)

flynny75
13-08-2015, 18:16
@Alex,
I don't know if this is in the API, flynny, but is there an option to show the split time from the previous lap? I see that in a lot of the dashes in game, but haven't been able to determine how to add that to the app.
Do you mean the difference between the previous lap time and current best lap time? I'm not sure, but I could calculate it easily enough

Haha you flatter me! It doesnt really matter where you edit it. The bigger the resolution the more fine-grained control you have over placements simply because you have more pixels to choose from. That huge resolution used to be a problem for uploading zips to the website (as the size of the screenshot used to be the native size of the screen) but that has been resolved. If the aspect ratio of the two displays are the same it should look almost identical. It shouldnt really matter where you edit, but to maintain aspect ratio when loading a big dash on a small screen you're going to lose some size precision if you save it, then re-load it on a bigger resolution device again.

If that makes sense...

Correct me if I'm wrong, Alex, but though touching the screen allows you to move through multiple page dashes, the only way to assign the 'Touch' function to accomplish this would be if the designer of the dash grouped everything under one view, something that I haven't bothered doing, as using the 'draw groups 'next' and 'prev' accomplishes the same thing. I could very well be making an error in my workflow, though, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Errr not quite, the View Groups are not real 'entities', you cannot 'touch' them. It is unfortunate that the touch input is pretty much ignored by every view (apart from notMotec), but I think that physically touching the screen isnt practical in use, and the Dash Pages can pretty much do everything anyway, although with more initial design work

Keithb23
13-08-2015, 18:27
If it's not too difficult could I have two more options? Difference between previous and current, and difference between previous and best would be great additions to the app. On several of the dashes in game they show a text view labelled as split, but I don't know if they are calculating split between previous and current or previous and best. I'll have to do some testing to find out, unless someone on here knows?

And it's also good to know I can go ahead and edit on the big tablet, much easier on the eyes! I would like to try editing on the pc, but I wasn't able to figure out how to do that with the chrome extension you suggested, Alex. Maybe a few brief instructions, on here or email me?

Edit:
I opened Arc Welder and tried to load the latest apk but i just got the puzzle piece with the frowny face indicated it couldn't load. Are there some settings I need to change or additional software I might need?

Edit redux:
I just downloaded Bluestacks and it works perfect. I finally have the ability to work on the big screen! So much easier. Will make editing a lot more accurate as well.

Thanks, as always.

flynny75
13-08-2015, 19:20
If it's not too difficult could I have two more options? Difference between previous and current, and difference between previous and best would be great additions to the app. On several of the dashes in game they show a text view labelled as split, but I don't know if they are calculating split between previous and current or previous and best. I'll have to do some testing to find out, unless someone on here knows?

And it's also good to know I can go ahead and edit on the big tablet, much easier on the eyes! I would like to try editing on the pc, but I wasn't able to figure out how to do that with the chrome extension you suggested, Alex. Maybe a few brief instructions, on here or email me?

Edit:
I opened Arc Welder and tried to load the latest apk but i just got the puzzle piece with the frowny face indicated it couldn't load. Are there some settings I need to change or additional software I might need?

Thanks, as always.

The Split Time data provided by the game is the time taken to get through the previous sector.. I thought it might be useful... Going to have to do it manually. No biggie.

Hmm that can be many things... It kept happening to me because my audio output was too high frequency... or something. There are ways to debug it, but I dont think they were that helpful. Which build of the APK are you using? The 'Pro' and 'Free' versions include dependencies on Google Play Services that the 'Donate' build does not.

Upon further inspection, it looks like the 'Pro' version will run in ARC, but the adverts (as its not verified purchase) make it go a bit crazy. If you install and extract the Donate version (that only a few specific people will see in Google Play) that will run better in ARC. But, if you dont even see the VDash icon while it loads then its not even trying to load the app yet.

Amoghasiddhi
16-08-2015, 06:36
Great app! (Best in genre) But...
I dont know if is a 3.0 patch cause... i doesn't have proper tyre temps and fuel last lap data. You could check? Thanks in advanced.

Keithb23
18-08-2015, 02:13
That issue has been brought up previously and is known. I believe Alex is looking into it. Thanks for the report! :)

Keithb23
31-08-2015, 02:07
The app has been updated to 311 and the server to 105. Alex reports that he has fixed the fuel usage bug.

Community - Live Updates - Link
26/08/2015 - 21:08:07

Finally uploading the fixes for calculating average fuel and other small bug fixes. New server 105 and app 311

You can get the new server here (http://vdash.pro/server.php).

Raymond de Vries
01-09-2015, 05:22
Another dash up, this is the modified Ginetta G40 requested by Raymond, you can get it from the link in my siggy!

P.S.
There's a little added bonus, look carefully at the indicators in the middle whilst braking, turning on the headlights, or if you turn off the ignition. :D
I'll be adding these to the other Ginetta dash as well.

��Thank you!!

edit: Seriously great detail, when shut down engine "öil light" comes up, and light indicator works.
To thank you i'll deliver the Renault Clio Dash in return :) (almost done but pressed the "unlock aspect ratio" button :( )

Edit2: started all over. Here's a preview. Has to change font and color and so on...

Keithb23
03-09-2015, 00:43
Thanks for the nice comments Raymond. Your Renault dash is looking good so far. I'm looking forward to the finished product! Next on my list is probably variants of the Pi Omega D4 dash for the BMW M3 GT and the Palmer Jaguar. After that I would like to get started on some of the older cars, the McLaren F1 longtail dash and the Mercedes Prototype as well. Of course all of that could change if I get another special request, lol!

Raymond de Vries
03-09-2015, 11:39
Just uploaded Version 1 of the Renault Sport Clio Dash, please give it a try, i have only tested on my Samsung Mega 6.3.

http://vdash.pro/dash.php?id=106

Enjoy and feel free to give feedback.

Grtz.

Keithb23
04-09-2015, 02:28
Looks really good, Raymond! I'll download and give it a go!

Edit:
I tried it out and it works very well Raymond. Excellent work, mate! Are you planning on making the colored graphs for the oil pressure, water temp and coolant temp functional? If you are, the simplest way would be to create a colored bar graph and overlay it, but then you would loose the slanted one at the beginning. A way that would involve a little more work would be to change the inner part of the bar graphs to an alpha channel, and then place the colored bar graphs behind. Come to think of it, you could just make the whole bar graph section an alpha channel and then place your bar graph behind, as you can set up the graph to mimic the style of the bar graph on the actual dash. I'm pretty sure battery voltage isn't passed along in the api, so that could stay static, but it would be nice to have the bar graphs functional as well as the digital readings. I think the rpm text bar could do with a thicker font to make it stand out a little better, but not a major thing. I'm going to do a little experimenting over the weekend to see if I can figure out a way to have the 'on-off' text for the lights functional, maybe Alex has a trick up his sleeve for that. Would be a cool addition to the app. We should also figure out a way to label those led's as well. It's difficult when there is so little space around them, but I'll take a look at it. Labels for the led's are something that I definitely want to add to all my dashes.

Speaking of which...you know we have never discussed the possibility of using this app with a flight sim. There is a huge market of total nutters for flight sims out there (I know, I used to be one!) and I'm pretty sure at least some of the flight sims have api's that will send data to hardware devices. I bet a lot of these guys would be all over a way to customize an android tablet to control and view their flight sims. Just a thought, anyway...:)

Edit again:
Here's an example of what I was getting at with the colored bar graphs. I've made the three views alpha channels, so now it should be fairly simple to place a text/bar graph behind with the appropriate number of segments and color ranges for the value. Go ahead and download the image, it's at 1280x800 so it should work fine.

Raymond de Vries
04-09-2015, 15:19
Great to hear it works ok at a different device. Thanks for the advice, and I like you idea much so I am going to implement the bars. I will use you image. Grtz

F1_Racer68
04-09-2015, 22:09
Speaking of which...you know we have never discussed the possibility of using this app with a flight sim. There is a huge market of total nutters for flight sims out there (I know, I used to be one!) and I'm pretty sure at least some of the flight sims have api's that will send data to hardware devices. I bet a lot of these guys would be all over a way to customize an android tablet to control and view their flight sims. Just a thought, anyway...:)

In fact, I could see this app doing VERY well in that market, and it would certainly give @flynny75 a whole other revenue stream. Although, it might be better to create a separate version focused on the numerous flight sims out there rather than just adding that support to this version.

Fantastic idea @Keithb23 :yes::yes:

Raymond de Vries
05-09-2015, 07:49
Great idea about the flightSims. I think a separate edition will do great in the appstore :)

Keithb23
06-09-2015, 01:35
Just in time for the Gentlemen's club race tomorrow is the 2D dash for the BMW 320 TC. Everything should work except that the fuel used last lap seems to be borked and I haven't implemented the warning leds on the right-hand side yet. You can get it here (http://vdash.pro/dash.php?id=107), or in my sig, as usual. Enjoy!

Keithb23
10-09-2015, 04:04
And this has what to do with VDash? Please don't spam the thread with useless links to unrelated programs, thanks. :P

ZiggyUK
10-09-2015, 04:51
Just uploaded Version 1 of the Renault Sport Clio Dash, please give it a try, i have only tested on my Samsung Mega 6.3.

Hi Raymond, it is great to see another member of TGC creating dashes here. Looking forward to testing yours alongside Keiths. Keep it up guys :encouragement:

Keithb23
21-09-2015, 02:03
New dash up, the Sauber C9. You can get it here (http://vdash.pro/dash.php?id=109)

And just to wet your appetite, here's a piccy!

ZiggyUK
21-09-2015, 03:00
New dash up, the Sauber C9. You can get it here (http://vdash.pro/dash.php?id=109)

And just to wet your appetite, here's a piccy!

We love ya man, keep 'em coming boy :encouragement:

Raymond de Vries
21-09-2015, 12:45

Enjoy and feel free to give feedback.

Grtz.

I Just updated to version 2.2 with working engine indicators and other improvements.

Keithb23
24-09-2015, 02:01
I just had a pm from another member who is attempting to learn how to edit in VDash. He wanted permission to use the work I have created as a starting off point for his own dash. I'm just letting you all know I don't have a problem with you using any of my dashes as a template. We don't really have a mechanism in place to give credit to others, other than the release notes, so maybe that is the best place to do it. I should really go back and give credit to some of those who I have 'borrowed' from myself. Although it should be obvious to even the casual player that my dash background isn't original, there is a lot of work involved in getting something from the screenshot stage to something that can be used as a background in VDash. The work involved in creating all of the separate views is extensive as well. I would say there is easily a good 10- 20 hours involved in making a dash with multiple view groups. The dashes that use analog gauges are a whole 'nother story as well. I actually have to go into the png image of the gauge and edit out the needle and center pin, recreate any of the markers on the gauge that the needle was blocking, and then create a new needle and center pin and place that over the png image and then edit the gauge so that the needle sweeps correctly and matches the on-screen gauge as closely as possible. Not easy!

I think I would prefer that if you use a significant part of my work, say more than 50%, it would be nice if you acknowledged me in the title of your dash, something like, 'XYZ Dash based on the ABC Dash designed by KeithB23'. If you use only a small part of one of my dashes, just mention it in the release notes. Something like, 'Some images/textures/views borrowed from a dash designed by Keithb23'.

Does that make sense?

And by all means, don't ever hesitate to ask questions in the forum, or shoot me a pm. The more of us making dashes, the better for everyone I say! I'm always happy to help in any way that I can.

Keithb23
24-09-2015, 02:09
I just remembered that one of the questions I have received is regarding creating new views and then they don't show up after saving. If the dash has multiple view groups, or pages, each view created for the dash has to be assigned to a view group or page before it will show up after saving. In the edit dash screen listed under the options button is a tab for managing views, and a tab for editing view groups. You need to select the view groups tab and click the pencil beside the view group you want to edit, and assign the view you created to that group. If you created a new view and it's not showing up, just scroll down the list and when you find your new view, check the box beside it so the box is highlighted and save. You will have to re-open that particular page you assigned the view to see it. If you want your new view to show up in all the pages, you will have to go into each view group and assign the view.

Keithb23
24-09-2015, 02:12
@Raymond,
Dash is looking really great, mate! What are you going to do next? I'm probably going to go back to my dashes I made for the Audi GT3 and the Merc GT3 and update them with multiple pages and some other fixes. :)

Raymond de Vries
30-09-2015, 15:13
^^^
@ the moment I am working on the Ariel atom supercharged dash. But its quite simple though.
Looking forward to the audience and merc dashes.

ZiggyUK
30-09-2015, 15:45
@keith: After using the G40 dash in league races can we possibly revisit it and make a version alternative B? The problem is that although the dash is spot on it is just too small to be useful. I would prefer to increase the dash sizes and lose the gear indicator altogether. I know it is a shame as the current version looks really good but for week-after-week use it would be good to have an option B

What I don't know is whether this would be a large task to undertake or not. Anyway something to consider maybe?

F1_Racer68
01-10-2015, 03:47
Anyone else having issues with the app just stalling on them during use? With the current version, after a period of time (exact amount unknown) I notice that the display is no longer doing anything, as though the screen is frozen on the app. The server and app both still appear to be connected, but the WiFi icon shows orange instead of green.

This has been happening every day for the past week at least. I have been running numerous 10 - 12 lap races with various length Qualifying sessions.

Server 105 on Windows 10 64 bit and latest app version on Samsung Galaxy S2.

Keithb23
01-10-2015, 21:03
@Ziggy
Not a big task at all, mate. I have started on some dashes without any frames for just the reason you mentioned, too small. I will jump on this asap for you.

Edit:
Have you tried the modified G40 I did for Raymond? Is that still too small/too much dash around the frame?

@F1Racer
I have only been on briefly for testing dash layouts, so I will try a longer session this weekend to see if I can confirm.

ZiggyUK
01-10-2015, 21:17
Cheers Keith. I had forgotten about the one you did for Ray. I will give it a shot as that would save you the extra work.

That is perfect Keith, cheers mate. I shall be using the large one in next Wednesday's league race :encouragement:

spencerrg
13-10-2015, 02:49
Have been having issues for the past 3 weeks with this app not recognising me as a registered user and i am unable to stay connected. App and server are both updated

Keithb23
14-10-2015, 01:17
You can contact Alex here (http://vdash.pro/contact.php) and let him know about your issue.

Keithb23
17-10-2015, 02:46
I just noticed a couple of new dashes uploaded by someone called 'elmerniel'. They look pretty cool. I've downloaded them and will try 'em out.

Fre.Mo
28-10-2015, 20:25
Your app looks great! Do you plan a ps4 compatible version when udp streaming will be activated?

SUBGTRACER
28-10-2015, 22:00
Your app looks great! Do you plan a ps4 compatible version when udp streaming will be activated?

... +1

TheReaper GT
06-11-2015, 17:21
Any dev response on the udp support? I've sent an email through the site but didn't get a response...

F1_Racer68
06-11-2015, 17:55
Flynny seems to be buried in his new job...... I haven't seen him online or heard from him in a while. I don't knwo him personally, but he and I are connected via multiple sources (Google, here, etc). He's been pretty inactive everywhere. I hope it is just temporary.

Keithb23
10-11-2015, 23:17
I think he might be the new 'Q' for MI5...:confused:

F1_Racer68
10-11-2015, 23:53
Could be....lol

Good news is the issue I had with the vDash app stalling on me was resolved with a quick uninstall/reinstall of the app.

F1_Racer68
12-11-2015, 17:12
@Flynny75 if you are still out there..... in the nether.......

Just wondeirng if you have any plans for vDASH to support the new proposed/planned UDP streaming as being discussed here:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?40113-IN-PROGRESS-Companion-app-UDP-streaming

I am assuming it would require a significant rewrite of the app.

TheReaper GT
12-11-2015, 17:20
@Flynny75 if you are still out there..... in the nether.......

Just wondeirng if you have any plans for vDASH to support the new proposed/planned UDP streaming as being discussed here:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?40113-IN-PROGRESS-Companion-app-UDP-streaming

I am assuming it would require a significant rewrite of the app.

I've sent him two or three e-mails, no response so far... I think I'll have to ask pCars Dash dev for a Omega dash skin :D

Keithb23
13-11-2015, 23:25
Are you talking about the Pi Omega D3 or a new version of the Omega. If any of the dashes I have posted will help, you can go ahead and pull the dash skin by unzipping the dash file. the skin will be in there as a standard .png file.

TheReaper GT
14-11-2015, 00:07
Are you talking about the Pi Omega D3 or a new version of the Omega. If any of the dashes I have posted will help, you can go ahead and pull the dash skin by unzipping the dash file. the skin will be in there as a standard .png file.

Great, thank you.. gonna have a look .

Terrell Olvera
16-11-2015, 07:19
I think the Amazon store's app hasn't been updated. I just checked and it is build 310, not 311.

Keithb23
03-12-2015, 23:26
Guys, for anyone still following this thread, it appears as if Alex has gone off the radar. We haven't heard from him since 13/08/2015, about three months now. I checked the VDash website and he hasn't updated that since 26/08/2015, so it's pretty clear that we can't expect to hear from him anytime in the near future. The last version of the app I see is 311 and the last server was 105. If I recall, there was still an issue with the app calculating fuel averages even after 311/105. Everything else is pretty solid, though. USB works great if you can find the right drivers. Not easy. For some reason, smaller market tablet makers seem to leave it up to the consumer to search around and 'plug + pray' for the right driver that will work over adb. I've even had issues with my Dell and Samsung tablets. I had the dell working, but somehow the driver got overwritten and now it doesn't work. Damned if I can find the right driver that I used before now...sigh.

If you aren't satisfied w/VDash, you can head over to EKSimracing and give Zappadoc's excellent new dash app (coincidentally called VDash as well) a try. He has four excellent dashes right out of the box, and there are six more slots for user created dashes. The neat thing about his app is that it acts as an emulator for the real hardware, and so is very fast and responsive over wifi. You will need to purchase both the SLIMax manager server and a small donation to use the VDash Emulator, money well spent. Lots of nice features very similar to Alex's app. Not as well developed with regards to customization yet, but it's still early days. Support is excellent, he usually replies within a day or two to an issue and is very fast to implement new features.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using Alex's VDash app here, after all, I have been heavily involved in the development from the get-go, so I have literally hundred's of hours invested in the app. I will be converting some of the dash's I made for Alex's app over to Zappadoc's to see how well they work there.

I'll keep you posted!

And Alex, if you are out there, best wishes and good luck in the future mate. We have a great deal to be thankful for your investment of time and sharing of skills to help make the PCars community better, and allow those of us who strive for complete realism in a sim rig, an excellent app to help achieve that goal. Good on ya' mate!

F1_Racer68
04-12-2015, 00:20
@Keithb23, thanks for the tip. I will check that one out as well.

So far Alex's app has continued to work well for me, and I don't see a need to change but options are always good to have.

I hope Alex is doing well and that we will see or hear from him soon. I am guessing that his new job is keeping him very busy.

Raymond de Vries
12-12-2015, 20:48
Hi guys. Today I tried to login to the vdash site, but it's not possible for me. Even after passwordreset.

I wanted to change the text for my Clio Dash.
Because It seems that the new incoming R.S 1 uses the same dash. So you can use the Clio Dash for the R.S. 1 too.

Enjoy

F1_Racer68
14-12-2015, 00:10
GOOD NEWS!!

"The Dacia Sandero is...." (sorry, old Top Gear joke... couldn't resist) :D

But the real GOOD NEWS is that Flynny75 is BACK!!!

He posted this to Google+ this morning.

"Have picked up Android development again. Have implemented half of the plugin for RFactor2 (that was fun, for whatever reason the game will only accept the plugin when build with Visual Studio. There goes me keeping everything in one IDE), and have begun looking at the UDP stream from pcars.

Also reviving a sudoku app if anyone is interested in that"

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AlexFlynn/posts/azVg183M3C1

Welcome Back Alex. You've been missed.

TheReaper GT
14-12-2015, 00:14
Those are awesome news...

Ps: I use the Dacia Sandero joke a lot... Most people don't get it, still funny though Hahaha

JohnSchoonsBeard
14-12-2015, 16:26
I'll definitely get this great looking app once the UDP is supported (using on PlayStation 4 and rig)

Terrell Olvera
14-12-2015, 17:05
The UPD connection is pretty slick! I used it last night with my Galaxy Note 4 (pc) and had no issues. I keep UDP at 5 since that is 20Hz, which is perfectly adequate for the signals being displayed.

mjemec11
14-12-2015, 19:48
The UPD connection is pretty slick! I used it last night with my Galaxy Note 4 (pc) and had no issues. I keep UDP at 5 since that is 20Hz, which is perfectly adequate for the signals being displayed.

You're able to use Vdash via UDP connection?

Fre.Mo
15-12-2015, 09:08
sorry if this has already be answered: do you plan an iOS version?

jimmyb_84
15-12-2015, 10:36

Just downloaded the free version of this based on the above comment, I got no data. I ran PCARS Dash on my phone which worked just to check data was being sent.

So I'm not sure what you tested? On Flynn's Google+ page he mentioned 10hrs ago or so that he had completed UDP but still had a little work to do, so not sure where this is currently at

F1_Racer68
15-12-2015, 13:48
Just downloaded the free version of this based on the above comment, I got no data. I ran PCARS Dash on my phone which worked just to check data was being sent.

So I'm not sure what you tested? On Flynn's Google+ page he mentioned 10hrs ago or so that he had completed UDP but still had a little work to do, so not sure where this is currently at

Flynny75 is working on UDP support as we speak. It's not ready yet though. Soon, but not yet.

And no, I don't think there is an iOS version.

Terrell Olvera
15-12-2015, 14:02
Wrong app, my bad. I have this as well and will try it out when UDP is working though!

LVracerGT
15-12-2015, 17:09
I picked up Pcars dash and really like the ambient and track temps, can this app show those as well?

Really liking the customization options with this but it would be another $5

mjemec11
06-01-2016, 22:55
FYI, new version with UDP support pushed to the Play Store.

F1_Racer68
07-01-2016, 01:56
FYI, new version with UDP support pushed to the Play Store.

Yep :D Working great!

Only downside to the UDP connection I have seen so far is that the backlight doesn't come on when you turn on headlights. I suspect that is due to the UDP stream not sending the wheel controls. It's minor in the grand scheme of things.

So far it has been much more stable than when I used it the last few nights. I was having issues with the server stalling regularly.

JohnSchoonsBeard
10-01-2016, 23:28
Yes, it's working with my PS4. The flexibility in the app is great. Some very nice user designed displays that can be downloaded to the android device and imported into the app. It's probably the most complicated to work out of the dash apps but it is the most flexible and allows a lot of creativity when creating your own screens.

F1_Racer68
11-01-2016, 17:29
Yes, it's working with my PS4. The flexibility in the app is great. Some very nice user designed displays that can be downloaded to the android device and imported into the app. It's probably the most complicated to work out of the dash apps but it is the most flexible and allows a lot of creativity when creating your own screens.

And for those of us on PC, the fact that it supports so many multiple sims in a single app is fantastic. Probably the biggest feature for me and the one thing that attracted me to it the most.

Keithb23
12-01-2016, 01:07
Glad to hear the UDP support is working. New dashes to upload soon!

JohnSchoonsBeard
12-01-2016, 02:16
I've just downloaded some of your dashes Keith. They look great. Many thanks.

Fil140
12-01-2016, 11:58
ahh bugger it, ive gone and downloaded it from amazon by mistake,any idea as to when it will be updated for ps4 through amazon?

Ivan Dumalovski Janjusic
28-01-2016, 19:42
Guys do you know how can i remove dash tabs. I have currently 2 tabs with different dashes and i want ro remove one tabs due to dash crashing the app on my z3 compact tablet!?

Disregard

Fil140
31-01-2016, 01:28
Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!! ive tried everything i can think of and i cannot see away to import the dashs to my galaxy tab2. i know how to do it but it isnt giving me an option to select an app to open them with.after selscting import,i get to a box saying"complete action using" but none of the options work,ive moved the download files to those places but it still doesnt work!!! someone please help

JohnSchoonsBeard
04-02-2016, 16:26
Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!! ive tried everything i can think of and i cannot see away to import the dashs to my galaxy tab2. i know how to do it but it isnt giving me an option to select an app to open them with.after selscting import,i get to a box saying"complete action using" but none of the options work,ive moved the download files to those places but it still doesnt work!!! someone please help

As discussed Fil, I have the same tablet (Wi-Fi only) but I am able to load custom files.

Not to Flynny I talked fil through the import process and it was working for me and not for him.

Fil, have you tried flynny's Google+ page?

flynny75
22-02-2016, 17:02
Hello All,

Just to let you guys know, the UDP input has been re-enabled and it now lets you assign controller/wheel buttons to actions.

One note, you cannot assign button 1 OR button 2 to an action, but you can assign the combination of button 1 AND button 2 to an action.

And yeeeeaaahhh.... I'm much more responsive via email or VDash Google+ page :rolleyes:

F1_Racer68
23-02-2016, 02:47
I posted the following on Google+ as well already. I'm just hoping someone here might also be able to help me.

@flynny75, first thanks for the update today. Of course I immediately wanted to test it out :)

Bad news though......

While setting the app up, the app recognizes the button press, but once I am back on the dash itself nothing happens.

I have tried multiple dashes as well as trying both TOUCH and CYCLE PAGE settings options but neither have worked. I am using a G27 wheel and attempting to use the O button (shows as Button 11 in app, button 18 in game and button 19 in Profiler).

What am I doing wrong?

@KeithB23, two of the dashes I tried are your "2D Dash" and the very similar "RUF CTR3 SMS-R" dash posted by Cyberdutch. I am running the BMW Z4 GT3 in a league series and this is the same dash that car uses. Unfortunately, not only does the button assignment not work as mentioned above, but I also noticed that the "backlight" effect is not working when the headlights are turned on. Should this be working?

Keithb23
15-04-2016, 02:08
Hi F1 Racer68
Sorry for the late reply. I have been off the grid myself. I started a new job a while back and the learning curve has been very steep, leaving little time for other projects. The RUF CTR3 dash posted by Cyberdutch is based on my 2D dash. I honestly can't remember if I loaded a second background for the night version or not. It's been ages since I looked at the dash. Also, I don't know if some of the new updates Alex has pushed out have affected some of the older dashes or not. I will try to have a look at it and see if I can get it to work for you.

Cheers everyone!

F1_Racer68
16-04-2016, 12:46
@keithb23, no worries. I understand am in the same boat myself in regards to the new job situation. Even worse, mine is out of town so I have little to no time left for pCARS right now.

I was able to get the button mapping to work thanks to Flynny75's help and went back to using the default NotMotec display for now. It gets the job done. Having vdash matxh the in car dash would just be icing on the cake. Nice to have but not a necessity ;)

vahagn_hayk
20-05-2016, 03:02
how does one get this VDash to work? I have not been able to get it to work, is there a program which needs to be installed on the windows PC where game is running? so android device can connect to it?

F1_Racer68
20-05-2016, 11:01
how does one get this VDash to work? I have not been able to get it to work, is there a program which needs to be installed on the windows PC where game is running? so android device can connect to it?

If you are only using it with pCARS then you can use the UDP method.

Make sure UDP is enabled in your game under the options. Mine is set to 2 (lower number means more frequent data updates).

In the app, once launched, touch the "wifi" icon on the top of the screen. That will bring up a connection dialog box. Touch New Connection. Select Direct and then Project CARS. Once it is connected the wifi icon will be green.

If you use it for other sims as well then you will need to download the server app to run on your gaming system. You can get that from http://vdash.pro

vahagn_hayk
20-05-2016, 18:48
thank you! yeah i get it to work, but the "settings" button which opens another window, on both my laptop and desktop that window is maybe quarter of its original size, and can't scroll around so stuck with tiny window where can't click around or change anything :-/

F1_Racer68
20-05-2016, 19:46
thank you! yeah i get it to work, but the "settings" button which opens another window, on both my laptop and desktop that window is maybe quarter of its original size, and can't scroll around so stuck with tiny window where can't click around or change anything :-/

That's a strange one. I'm not encountering that myself, and not sure what might cause it.....

Also, if you are using the server rather than the UDP streaming, make sure that "Shared Memory" is enabled in the game under Options--> Visual--> Hardware (?)

EDIT: Just thought of this..... The server is a Java app. Maybe try updating your Java version to see if that helps?

vahagn_hayk
22-05-2016, 03:46
yes, tested it all, and no luck, can't get that window to open up or show bigger, tested on my laptop, work laptop and gaming PC all the sams and Java updated :-/ very strange.

vahagn_hayk
23-05-2016, 06:36
tried it on another sim rig of a friend, same thing there...that little window which opens after clicking "settings" does not open fully or maximize, little tiny window, maybe 150x300 and can't see all options nor buttons.
is there a way to influence JAR file rand edit it or change parameters to allow resizing or scaling of app window?

F1_Racer68
23-05-2016, 12:58
Unfortunately I can't help you with that. I've reached the limits of my knowledge.

I'm not even sure why you are seeing the issue you are seeing as I have the same version of server and it's displaying fine for me.

Can you share more details about your systems? Windows version, screen resolutions, etc? It won't help me, but it might help someone else here help you out.

vahagn_hayk
23-05-2016, 20:19
yes np will post screenshot tomorrow.

vahagn_hayk
24-05-2016, 18:08
here you go:

Amoghasiddhi
10-07-2016, 03:57
No more possible download dashes in official website. This is ridiculous.

please do not buy this crap

F1_Racer68
10-07-2016, 04:55

WHat the heck are you talking about? Download of dashes works just fine.

http://vdash.pro/expansion_dashes.php

Raymond de Vries
10-07-2016, 05:30

Please ignore this person.

Neil Bateman
25-07-2016, 20:05
Please ignore this person.

Should be easy enough☺

hpiguy
27-07-2016, 17:04
I picked up the app last weekend, using it for Pcars on Xbox one, and I'm really liking it so far. Quick question though, is there a way to be able to view all of the user created dashboards that are on your site on the mobile app? I really like some of those dashboard layouts, and would love an easy way to get them on my tablet that I use for my HUD.

F1_Racer68
27-07-2016, 19:40
I picked up the app last weekend, using it for Pcars on Xbox one, and I'm really liking it so far. Quick question though, is there a way to be able to view all of the user created dashboards that are on your site on the mobile app? I really like some of those dashboard layouts, and would love an easy way to get them on my tablet that I use for my HUD.

Preview on the website. As for getting them on your tablet, the import is pretty straight forward. Just download the file and then use the IMPORT function in the app to "install" it.

Be aware that I am not sure how much Flynny75 is supporting this right now. He hasn't been very interactive lately. I'm not saying it's a "dead" project, but it certainly seems to be in hiatus for the moment. His personal life seems ot have gotten very hectic in the past 6 - 8 months.

The app itself works great, and I truly appreciate the fact that a single dash app supports so many sims in one nice neat package.

hpiguy
27-07-2016, 20:13
Ah, thanks for the help F1 Racer, I'll give that a go when I get home in a bit. The community created dashboards that mimic the real deal make this my favorite HUD. Hopefully Flynny's life is hectic for good reasons and not bad. Now if Codemasters would just add UDP support to console versions of Dirt Rally. :D

hpiguy
28-07-2016, 14:10
Worked like a champ, it's really cool to have the dash from the real car on my HUD. Thanks for the help F1 Racer!

F1_Racer68
28-07-2016, 15:12
No problem. Glad it worked for you.

DayGlow
16-08-2016, 16:58
Not familiar with Android devices. Would a cheap 7" tablet like this

https://www.amazon.ca/SainSonic-Resolution-Bluetooth-Pre-loaded-Supported/dp/B01FDKM0GS/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1471366004&sr=8-14&keywords=7+inch+android+tablet

Be enough for this app?