PDA

View Full Version : Why is pCars so sensitive to OC?

Cialfi
13-06-2015, 14:46
First i want to say that this is not an offense.

I only want to know why this game is refusing to run with many OC settings, even when the temps and numbers aren't even near the max. I know I have to accept that but I ask just for my interest.
Is it the character of the engine or is there sth. else? Will it run more stable with OC in the future or do we have to accept the actual status.

Peace, great sim, love it although it's not perfect :)

Kingleo
13-06-2015, 14:55
I have no Issues with OC.... What are your specs?

I have my 5930K @ 4.6 on water (Kraken)
My 970's are at 1310 core --1500 boost--- and 7980 Memory.

Cialfi
13-06-2015, 15:01
I'm on laptop, running 850m on win 10.
I tried OC only with the GPU: temps are in normal range, even in the laptop case.
Normally there is no problem with other games like witcher 3 and assetto going +135 core and +235 mem.
In pCars I'm running +70/200 and its stable for the most of the time. But when I'm going 135/240 the driver is going down like a plane without upforce. Maybe I'm wanting too much but as I said, temps are ok and I didn't touch voltages.

Aldo Zampatti
13-06-2015, 15:07
I'm on laptop, running 850m on win 10.
I tried OC only with the GPU: temps are in normal range, even in the laptop case.
Normally there is no problem with other games like witcher 3 and assetto going +135 core and +235 mem.
In pCars I'm running +70/200 and its stable for the most of the time. But when I'm going 135/240 the driver is going down like a plane without upforce. Maybe I'm wanting too much but as I said, temps are ok and I didn't touch voltages.

I dual boot Win8.1 and Win10.
On Win10 if I modify even the slightest thing on my GPU, I can not run PCARS (even If I only modify the FAN speed).

On the other hand, in Windows 8.1 I can overclock the heck out of my GPU with no issue

Umer Ahmad
13-06-2015, 15:44
pcars has a great ability to find any weakness in our systems. too high OC, weak power supply, ...

Lars Rosenquist
13-06-2015, 16:13
Overclocking a laptop is generally a bad idea to begin with, because a laptop is already running near the thermal limits (limited cooling, limited heat dissipation). You'll run into throttling in no time. Project CARS will stress out both the GPU and CPU with a large grid, so that's two components in a small enclosure generating a lot of heat. I notice this in my Fractal Design Node 605 case (small enclosure) already, so a laptop should be a lot worse in that regard.

Cialfi
13-06-2015, 16:17
I know buddy but working with extra fans enables me to keep the temps pCars is generating with stockclock. So the temps can't be the reason. For sure I know the OC thing is much more common on a desktop.

thepharcyde
13-06-2015, 17:07
I've just upgraded my 650m SLI laptop that was running a 27% o/c on the GPU and the CPU on permanent turbo with throttle stop.

I had zero stability issues in PCars. My replacement laptop as per sig, I have over clocked the CPU via the multiplier in XTU, again no stability issues.

So I disagree with the OP, you have either o/c too far or your stability is unrelated to PCars.

Aldo Zampatti
13-06-2015, 17:42
I've just upgraded my 650m SLI laptop that was running a 27% o/c on the GPU and the CPU on permanent turbo with throttle stop.

I had zero stability issues in PCars. My replacement laptop as per sig, I have over clocked the CPU via the multiplier in XTU, again no stability issues.

So I disagree with the OP, you have either o/c too far or your stability is unrelated to PCars.

win8?

probably is a Win10 issue mostly (and some Win8)

Cialfi
13-06-2015, 18:02
My Problem is the driver. "The driver has stopped responding and recovered."

This happens only in pCars. All other games don't make the driver go mad.
Only wondering why this happens. I know there are a bunch of fixes for this, but none of them worked and I'm not asking for a solution, only an answer what's the difference between pCars and all other games :)

yusupov
13-06-2015, 18:16
games that really gobble up the gpu will do this. why (or how) some do it even more than others, i dont know, but it happens, & what games it hits, when, etc, can all very. i remember at least one of the crysis games (pretty sure it was crysis 3) it was actually recommended to underclock the gpu to make it more stable.

its a shitty irony that the games you really 'need' that extra clockspeed for end up being the ones that expose it as being too much, but eh. run it w/out your oc software & i really doubt youll notice much if any difference; if you do, taking just one setting down a tick or so should make up for it.

Mulder89
13-06-2015, 23:19
"The driver has stopped responding and recovered." simply means your overclock is unstable. This game puts a heavy load on the cpu cores and the vga so you'll run into problems a lot sooner than you would in a simpler game.
If you want to overclock you can easily learn how to do it properly:)

stux
14-06-2015, 01:38
First i want to say that this is not an offense.

I only want to know why this game is refusing to run with many OC settings, even when the temps and numbers aren't even near the max. I know I have to accept that but I ask just for my interest.
Is it the character of the engine or is there sth. else? Will it run more stable with OC in the future or do we have to accept the actual status.

Peace, great sim, love it although it's not perfect :)

You have an unstable OC. Pcars is just more demanding than most games.

It could be because it works both the CPU and GPU hard. In systems which share cooling between both CPU and GPU, ie, a laptop, this could mean you will become unstable at lower temps than you may be used to.

Ultimately it's a poor overclock.

Cialfi
14-06-2015, 02:43
thanks for the replies guys. i will look into it at youtubeschool ;)

Morgan Henstridge
14-06-2015, 05:42
I used to get this on my desktop 78oti. Upping the voltage to the GPU fixed this for me.