PDA

View Full Version : [NO IT DONT!]TX WHEEL HAS PLAY IS THIS NORMAL?

Brent G
13-06-2015, 19:19
Hi all, Im a newbie in the wheel world and therefore pretty much clueless in regard to what is the norm or what isn't. Basically I have a little play in my Thrustmaster TX 458 Italia wheel. By this I mean that when in race and my wheel is centred there is a few degrees of free movement either way before you feel any resistance from the FFB. It is only slight but Im wondering if this is normal or wether theres any settings to remove this. Or is it to do with the FFB issues being talked about on here. As I say Im a new wheel user so i have nothing to compare my wheels feel to. Apologies if this has been covered but I looked for info to no avail. Also cheers in advance for any information you may have.

Schnizz58
13-06-2015, 19:22
Check your deadzone. I think it gets defaulted to 15 when it should be 0.

Brent G
13-06-2015, 19:31
Just checked and it set at 0. Any other ideas?

Ixoye56
13-06-2015, 19:33
Set all deadzones to 0 and Steering Sensitivity to 50 and recalibrate your wheel in game at 900 to start with...

Schnizz58
13-06-2015, 19:34
Try the Jack Spade FFB settings for whatever car you're using. There's a sticky link at the top of the page. It also might just be normal behavior.

Brent G
13-06-2015, 19:46
I have FFB, there's just a few degrees of free movement as I turn. It is perhaps as it's meant to be. I was more concerned that my wheel was maybe faulty. Cheers again guys nice to have a helpful community.

psydeviant1
13-06-2015, 19:49
if its a tiny tiny amount it could just be a little slop in the mechanism

TrevorAustin
13-06-2015, 20:01
Interesting, i have exactly the same in my t500, if i load the control panel i can move it a degree or so either way before it registers on the steering axis. Strangely my TX has none at all, you can't movw the wheel perceptibly either way without it registering. You can feel the free play on the 500, feels like a loose belt or worn bearing.

Brent G
13-06-2015, 20:17
It is ever so slight, but its a brand new wheel so I'd have thought the mechanism should be pretty stiff. As I say though you could write what I know about FFB wheels on the back of a postage stamp. Just thought I'd see what other TX wheel owners had to say before I made any drastic decisions like sending it back if theres nothing wrong. Especially as Ive seen people saying there's a Europe wide shortage.

Brent G
13-06-2015, 20:25
Anyone dealt with Thrustmaster support? Are they a stand up outfit or are they likely to say its the norm even if its not?

TrevorAustin
13-06-2015, 20:29
My tx is MUCH tighter than my t500 so i would say yours is faulty. Their support was excellent friday when i had a firmware problem with my out of warranty t500

nissan4ever
13-06-2015, 20:36
Change your DOR to 360 on wheel base on the Xbox One dashboard.
Then go into Project CARS game. Go to Options & Help. Go to Control. Hit X Button to recalibrate your wheel. Do the full lock (make sure you hit full lock & see 100 on the screen). Then do 90, you want screen to say 360 in number display. Then go race. How does it feel?

Schnizz58
13-06-2015, 20:58
Anyone dealt with Thrustmaster support? Are they a stand up outfit or are they likely to say its the norm even if its not?
I needed a new rim for my TX Wheel because of a faulty switch in one of the paddle shifters. It took a while but they did replace it. I had to jump through a lot of hoops such as sending them a video of it in operation but ultimately they made it right, which is all you can ask. Part of the reason it was slow for me is that I'm in the States and they're in France but you shouldn't have that problem.

Brent G
14-06-2015, 10:42
I think I may be being a bit over zealous with the has 'play' idea, Its perhaps 1 either way. It was just with it being my 1st wheel the only thing I have to compare it to is the real cars Ive driven

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 10:47
I think I may be being a bit over zealous with the has 'play' idea, Its perhaps 1 either way. It was just with it being my 1st wheel the only thing I have to compare it to is the real cars Ive driven

Alright, but did you try changing the wheel's degrees of rotation like I described? Did you like it? I suggest trying wheel with set on 360? Let me know. You shouldn't feel any so called "play", like you do at 900.

Brent G
14-06-2015, 11:37
Change your DOR to 360 on wheel base on the Xbox One dashboard.
Then go into Project CARS game. Go to Options & Help. Go to Control. Hit X Button to recalibrate your wheel. Do the full lock (make sure you hit full lock & see 100 on the screen). Then do 90, you want screen to say 360 in number display. Then go race. How does it feel?

Honestly mate it felt worse. I tried 360 & 540, these settings also seemed to lessen the FFB. When calibrating for the said DOR's I was able to reach 100 without resistance. When calibrating for 900 theres no resistance to 96, from 96 to 100 I have to fight the wheels resistance. I would imagine this is why the FFB feels stronger when DOR is 900. I dont know if its me but this 'play' in the wheel seems more pronounced it some cars than others but that may be my judgement rather than fact. Its not a fun killer by any means its just that the wheel turns maybe 1-2 before any resistance from the FFB is fealt.

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 12:29
Honestly mate it felt worse. I tried 360 & 540, these settings also seemed to lessen the FFB. When calibrating for the said DOR's I was able to reach 100 without resistance. When calibrating for 900 theres no resistance to 96, from 96 to 100 I have to fight the wheels resistance. I would imagine this is why the FFB feels stronger when DOR is 900. I dont know if its me but this 'play' in the wheel seems more pronounced it some cars than others but that may be my judgement rather than fact. Its not a fun killer by any means its just that the wheel turns maybe 1-2 before any resistance from the FFB is fealt.

Not feeling resistance like between 96-100 with FFB when doing full lock doesn't effect or mean anything. Only when base is set to 900 do you need to crank it further to see 100 on screen. Just make sure on the other DOR's you do go full lock & see 100 on screen. It's fine.

Just make sure...... If wheel is set to 360 DOR, then when you do 90, you need to see screen say 360. If wheel is set to 540, then when you do 90, you need to see the screen say 540. Same in regards to 270 DOR.

I experience no play at all at 360. FFB is great (SopLateral Mix chart Jack Spade).

TAGS Battfink
14-06-2015, 12:32
Is your wheel set to 900? If so drop the rotation down, the ffb is nowhere near as strong at 900, try the lower settings

(Sorry already suggested)

GRTfast
14-06-2015, 12:36
I play on 900 degrees and my wheel has no dead zone. I'd say something is wrong.

TAGS Battfink
14-06-2015, 12:38
You could try the mz slider, ramp it up and drop the smoothing to zero

BG Hainesy
14-06-2015, 12:51
Is it supposed to be hard to get from 96 to 100 when configuring the wheel? Does the same thing with mine, should I just leave it at 96?

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 13:08
Is it supposed to be hard to get from 96 to 100 when configuring the wheel? Does the same thing with mine, should I just leave it at 96?

No, you want it to say 100. It's not hurting anything.

BG Hainesy
14-06-2015, 13:15
No, you want it to say 100. It's not hurting anything.

That's what I was worried about when I'm forcing it to 100, thanks.

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 13:33
If you going to run your base at 900, always. You shouldn't have to do it no more. Unless future patches require to reset the wheel & recalibrate it. Which still won't hurt nothing :) you not doing it everyday for hours on end :p

TrevorAustin
14-06-2015, 13:40

My tx has zero play, as i said, the t500 has abiut 1 deg either way, the tx feels a LOT nicer straight ahead. And ive tried pretty much every setting of everything to make the t500 centre feel kike the tx. Amd assetto corsa, the tx is just nicer without the play. Next is to take it apart.

Brent G
14-06-2015, 16:34
Not feeling resistance like between 96-100 with FFB when doing full lock doesn't effect or mean anything. Only when base is set to 900 do you need to crank it further to see 100 on screen. Just make sure on the other DOR's you do go full lock & see 100 on screen. It's fine.

Just make sure...... If wheel is set to 360 DOR, then when you do 90, you need to see screen say 360. If wheel is set to 540, then when you do 90, you need to see the screen say 540. Same in regards to 270 DOR.

I experience no play at all at 360. FFB is great (SopLateral Mix chart Jack Spade).

Yeah tried that earlier but i prefered it at 900, any circuits where I get understeer (caused by high DOR) I just tune it out. It may just be my lack of knowledge regarding wheels mate. Its not like I can turn the wheel far before feeling the resistance its the tiniest bit either way from centre. Ive not used Jack Spades settings as yet as Id expected the V 1.4 to be avaiable already and didn't want to tweak everything twice as I dont get loads of free time to play. Perhaps the fact im still using cars' default FFB settings is to blame. I dunno might just be me. Thanks tho m8 I appreciate that you always take time to help me.

Brent G
14-06-2015, 16:37
My tx has zero play, as i said, the t500 has abiut 1 deg either way, the tx feels a LOT nicer straight ahead. And ive tried pretty much every setting of everything to make the t500 centre feel kike the tx. Amd assetto corsa, the tx is just nicer without the play. Next is to take it apart.

Sounds like you t500 has the same feel as my TX, just a tiny amount of movement. Other than that its great, I drove the Ruf RGT8 and brands hatch yesterday and FFB was amazing. I could feel everything.

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 16:38
Yeah tried that earlier but i prefered it at 900, any circuits where I get understeer (caused by high DOR) I just tune it out. It may just be my lack of knowledge regarding wheels mate. Its not like I can turn the wheel far before feeling the resistance its the tiniest bit either way from centre. Ive not used Jack Spades settings as yet as Id expected the V 1.4 to be avaiable already and didn't want to tweak everything twice as I dont get loads of free time to play. Perhaps the fact im still using cars' default FFB settings is to blame. I dunno might just be me. Thanks tho m8 I appreciate that you always take time to help me.

The default FFB settings in game for the cars are terrible. Go ahead & use Jack Spade's Spreadsheet. The patch won't interfere with it at all. The patch will effect overall FFB strength which if it's too strong, you lower FFB in options & help /controls /FFB. Has nothing to do with the individual car FFB setup.

Brent G
14-06-2015, 16:41
The default FFB settings in game for the cars are terrible. Go ahead & use Jack Spade's Spreadsheet. The patch won't interfere with it at all.

Sweet ill try that. My deadzone is set at 0, would raising it help maybe? Oh and what would you suggest in regards to Jack Spades settings, classic or FY sop mix?

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 16:46
I personally have mine set like this

Regardless of my base DOR. I was running 900. Now I run 360.

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 16:49
Out of the several different types he has in spreadsheet. Take your fav car to your fav track. Start with SopLateral Mix. Do 5-10 laps. Then put in Classic #'s. Run some more. Try the ffb #'s each chart has for that car. One of those charts will be the one that suits you.

Brent G
14-06-2015, 16:51
Mines pretty much same except I increased D zones for brake and accel. as I felt it gave me a touch more sensitivity. I also raised steering sens. to 80

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 16:54
I had changed those 3, but didn't like how they felt. Always set it to what you like :)

Brent G
14-06-2015, 17:04
Out of the several different types he has in spreadsheet. Take your fav car to your fav track. Start with SopLateral Mix. Do 5-10 laps. Then put in Classic #'s. Run some more. Try the ffb #'s each chart has for that car. One of those charts will be the one that suits you.

Great, cheers mate I'll give it a whirl. Out of curiosity what Nissan do u have or are u a fan of? I only ask as I used to have an R33 GTR V-Spec, it was without a doubt the best car I've ever owned and I miss it whole heartedly. Even the Mrs loved it and she normally hates my cars!

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 17:17
I own 2 Nissan's. A 1989 Nissan Pulsar NX. However my baby is my 1986 Nissan 200SX XE aka S12, pictured below.

Ch1ps N Queso
14-06-2015, 17:23
Surprised not one person in 4 pages has mentioned that FFB is broken on the X1. Hey original poster, FFB is broken on the X1. The new patch has some FFB fixes. Hopefully that will clear it up.

Source: I have this game on PC and FFB is broken on the X1.

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 17:24
Surprised not one person in 4 pages has mentioned that FFB is broken on the X1. Hey original poster, FFB is broken on the X1. The new patch has some FFB fixes. Hopefully that will clear it up.

Source: I have this game on PC and FFB is broken in the X1.

LOL, it's not broken otherwise it wouldn't work at all. It's just not as strong as on the PC. Patch 1.4 is supposed to remedy it based off feedback SMS got from us here. I'm sure there will be further tweaks in future patches.

LOL

Ch1ps N Queso
14-06-2015, 17:27
LOL, it's not broken otherwise it wouldn't work at all. It's just not as strong as on the PC. Patch 1.4 is supposed to remedy it based off feedback SMS got from us here. I'm sure there will be further tweaks in future patches.

LOL

What do you think he's talking about? The free play before he feels anything is what is broken. That's not normal. That's not how the game was intended to be played.

TrevorAustin
14-06-2015, 17:28

Source: I have this game on PC and FFB is broken in the X1.

Irrelevant to the op, there's already plenty of threads about it, don't need this turning into another one

Ch1ps N Queso
14-06-2015, 17:30
Irrelevant to the op, there's already plenty of threads about it, don't need this turning into another one

How so? If someone had simply told him we have crap FFB compared to PC and it will be patched in the coming days it would have been answered.

OP - Fact - We have crap FFB and it will be patched in the coming days.

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 17:30
What do you think he's talking about? The free play before he feels anything is what is broken. That's not normal. That's not how the game was intended to be played.

Did you notice other people say they don't have play in their TX's? That isn't specifically related to FFB now is it? You misinterpreted the original post & didn't pay attention to what other people said in this thread in relation to having play in their wheel.

Ch1ps N Queso
14-06-2015, 17:34
Did you notice other people say they don't have play in their TX's? That isn't specifically related to FFB now is it?

You make my brain hurt. Really.

OP - The TX and other wheels are experiencing substandard FFB. This is your issue. There are workarounds to getting some resistance in your wheel. Here is a 20ish page thread with many ideas.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24131-Thrustmaster-TX-Default-FFB-is-Non-Existent-Compared-to-PC-PS4-%28Check-Post-1%29

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 17:37
He's talking about having play in his wheel. My TX along with others in this thread do not do the same thing his is doing. Does yours have play in it when you start to turn it? That's what he's talking about.

Mine is tight & responds instantly with no play in it.

Ch1ps N Queso
14-06-2015, 17:38
Yes. If I use the standard settings I have major play in the middle before I feel anything. That's why the thread was called "very light FFB". He's experiencing the same thing.

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 17:40
Yes. If I use the standard settings I have major play in the middle before I feel anything. That's why the thread was called "very light FFB". He's experiencing the same thing.

Nope. Mine doesn't do that. Whether I used stock or jack Spade's FFB chart settings.

Ch1ps N Queso
14-06-2015, 17:41
Nope. Mine doesn't do that. Whether I used stock or jack Spade's FFB chart settings.

Mmkay.

From the OP

"By this I mean that when in race and my wheel is centred there is a few degrees of free movement either way before you feel any resistance from the FFB. It is only slight but Im wondering if this is normal or wether theres any settings to remove this. Or is it to do with the FFB issues being talked about on here."

What else could he be talking about?

Ch1ps N Queso
14-06-2015, 17:44

With stock settings on the majority of cars you feel resistance at 2 degrees left and right?

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 17:47
Mmkay.

From the OP

"By this I mean that when in race and my wheel is centred there is a few degrees of free movement either way before you feel any resistance from the FFB. It is only slight but Im wondering if this is normal or wether theres any settings to remove this. Or is it to do with the FFB issues being talked about on here."

What else could he be talking about?

"Interesting, i have exactly the same in my t500, if i load the control panel i can move it a degree or so either way before it registers on the steering axis. Strangely my TX has none at all, you can't move the wheel perceptibly either way without it registering. You can feel the free play on the 500, feels like a loose belt or worn bearing."

That's from page one of this thread. Specifically his reference about his TX.

Check & mate

Brent G
14-06-2015, 17:48
I own 2 Nissan's. A 1989 Nissan Pulsar NX. However my baby is my 1986 Nissan 200SX XE aka S12, pictured below.

Love the S12 bud, we didnt get the 'notch back' type here only the fast back type. Cool little Japanese nostagia car there mate. Tried JS's FFB settings and things seem better, I had to increase the master scales as the FFB fealt week in comparison to the Capri's default FFB. I raised the dz 15 to see what happened and it was horrendous, the issue Ive been describing is knowhere near as pronouced as a deadzone. Cheers again m8.

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 17:52
Love the S12 bud, we didnt get the 'notch back' type here only the fast back type. Cool little Japanese nostagia car there mate. Tried JS's FFB settings and things seem better, I had to increase the master scales as the FFB fealt week in comparison to the Capri's default FFB. I raised the dz 15 to see what happened and it was horrendous, the issue Ive been describing is knowhere near as pronouced as a deadzone. Cheers again m8.

I personally raised my master scale & SOP Scale equally +30. Just those 2, leave everything else the same. Raise those 2 equally as high as you want to get your desired FFB strength.

You need to raise master scale & SOP Scale equally!

I didn't really care for the hatchback 200SX from back then, lol. Thought the back of car looked horrendous.

Raven403
14-06-2015, 18:04
Op have you tried raising Deadzone Removal Range to .5 and Deadzone Removal dropout to.05? It does help get that nice tight feel on wheel center.

And yes, Xbox ffb is broken. So don't say otherwise

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 18:05
Op have you tried raising Deadzone Removal Range to .5 and Deadzone Removal dropout to.05? It does help get that nice tight feel on wheel center.

Try that Brent G

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 18:09
And yes, Xbox ffb is broken. So don't say otherwise

If it was broken, you wouldn't have any FFB at all. What happens when you hit the power button on something & it doesn't come on. It's broken, doesn't function at all. The FFB on Xbox One needs to be further tweaked to match the PC in future patches (hopefully patch 1.4 has Xbox One FFB close). It's as simple as that.

Brent G
14-06-2015, 18:18
[QUOTE=Raven403;991019]Op have you tried raising Deadzone Removal Range to .5 and Deadzone Removal dropout to.05? It does help get that nice tight feel on wheel center.

Is that 0.50 or 0.05 for DZ removal mate? Neverming bud figured it out, feels different again now. Maybe this whole thing is my lack of know how as regards to FFB wheels. I'll wait till we get the v1.4 patch before I call Thrustmaster. Nice one you lot for all the tips because I wouldn't have had a Barney McGrue. ;)

Raven403
14-06-2015, 19:00
If it was broken, you wouldn't have any FFB at all. What happens when you hit the power button on something & it doesn't come on. It's broken, doesn't function at all. The FFB on Xbox One needs to be further tweaked to match the PC in future patches (hopefully patch 1.4 has Xbox One FFB close). It's as simple as that.

If all four tires on your car go flat, can you still drive it? Yes, is it considered Broken, yes. Just cuz there's SOMETHING there doesn't mean it isn't broken. I'm seriously not arguing about it, if you don't think it's broken fine. But like Ch1ps said I have it on PC too and it's not just the strength that's off, it's the FEEDBACK from tire movement and forces. It is wat it is

Raven403
14-06-2015, 19:03
[QUOTE=Raven403;991019]Op have you tried raising Deadzone Removal Range to .5 and Deadzone Removal dropout to.05? It does help get that nice tight feel on wheel center.

Is that 0.50 or 0.05 for DZ removal mate? Neverming bud figured it out, feels different again now. Maybe this whole thing is my lack of know how as regards to FFB wheels. I'll wait till we get the v1.4 patch before I call Thrustmaster. Nice one you lot for all the tips because I wouldn't have had a Barney McGrue. ;)

Good idea. 1.4 should fix alot of the issues. For now I'd use the workarounds around the forum. Good luck!

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 19:07
If all four tires on your car go flat, can you still drive it? Yes, is it considered Broken, yes. Just cuz there's SOMETHING there doesn't mean it isn't broken. I'm seriously not arguing about it, if you don't think it's broken fine. But like Ch1ps said I have it on PC too and it's not just the strength that's off, it's the FEEDBACK from tire movement and forces. It is wat it is

Not an good example. This is a good one here. Your transmission won't go into gear. The car won't move on its own. Now that's a great analogy of broken in regards to an automobile.

This boils down to the FFB not being as strong as PC version. Nothing that tweaks in patches won't fix, starting with patch 1.4. It's far from broken, just not as strong as its PC counter part.

Ch1ps N Queso
14-06-2015, 19:08
"Interesting, i have exactly the same in my t500, if i load the control panel i can move it a degree or so either way before it registers on the steering axis. Strangely my TX has none at all, you can't move the wheel perceptibly either way without it registering. You can feel the free play on the 500, feels like a loose belt or worn bearing."

Check & mate

I read the whole thread. Brent also mentions he may have overstated the play. He hasn't connected it to the PC control panel to test as far as I know.

He's using and experiencing default X1 crap FFB. That's it.

Raven403
14-06-2015, 19:12
Not an good example. This is a good one here. Your transmission won't go into gear. The car won't move on its own. Now that's a great analogy of broken in regards to an automobile.

This boils down to the FFB not being as strong as PC version. Nothing that tweaks in patches won't fix, starting with patch 1.4. It's far from broken, just not as strong as its PC counter part.

Whatever you say dude. Jesus

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 19:15
Whatever you say dude. Jesus

LOL, we clearly have different definitions for the term broken. To me, it the means that it's 100% broken, no longer works/functions at all. That is not the case with the FFB on Xbox One version.

TrevorAustin
14-06-2015, 19:17
How so? If someone had simply told him we have crap FFB compared to PC and it will be patched in the coming days it would have been answered.

OP - Fact - We have crap FFB and it will be patched in the coming days.

No it wouldn't, he's got free play when stationary irrelevant of the game, so how can the game fix that? His question wasn't avout ffb, its about a loose hub on the physical wheel.

Raven403
14-06-2015, 19:18
No it wouldn't, he's got free play when stationary irrelevant of the game, so how can the game fix that? His question wasn't avout ffb, its about a loose hub on the physical wheel.

Where did u get that from. He clearly states when in race, there is free movement before he feels FFB kick in....

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 19:30

Yup, you're spot on. In the OP - "Basically I have a little play in my Thrustmaster TX 458 Italia wheel. By this I mean that when in race and my wheel is centred there is a few degrees of free movement either way before you feel any resistance from the FFB." - which means the wheel has some play before his FFB kicks in from turning it. aka his belt not tight from manufacturer process. Or the motor wasn't properly manufactured. It happens with mass production.

TrevorAustin
14-06-2015, 19:34

Check & mate
the tx has no play out of the game, the old worn t500 does. The op does NOT have a ffb problem, or rather this thread isnt. And the thread title isn't weak ffb:) its my tx has free play is this normal, lol, not even close!

But quite hiw the other guy reads the title as weak ffb i haven't a damned clue!

TrevorAustin
14-06-2015, 19:38
Where did u get that from. He clearly states when in race, there is free movement before he feels FFB kick in....

Can't be bothered arguing anymore, just make it another thread about ffb, that isn't the issue though.

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 19:40
the tx has no play out of the game, the old worn t500 does. The op does NOT have a ffb problem, or rather this thread isnt. And the thread title isn't weak ffb:) its my tx has free play is this normal, lol, not even close!

But quite hiw the other guy reads the title as weak ffb i haven't a damned clue!

Yup, I know your TX doesn't, but your T500 does. Clearly an issue with the physical wheel he has. Dead on correct. Plus, the title definitely says nothing about FFB issue. You're batting 1.00 sir! I take it you definitely loving your TX? I love mine.

TrevorAustin
14-06-2015, 22:14
I do like it but much prefer the feedback of the t500, can't describe why, just feels more real. But the tx has much more direct feeling steering.

Both are great wheels though.

stux
14-06-2015, 22:26
LOL, we clearly have different definitions for the term broken. To me, it means that it's 100% broken, no longer works/functions at all.

It's not broken, it's just sub-optimal

PC users having a devil of a time with FFB on 1.4 : http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30820-Patch-1-4-FFB-reports

nissan4ever
14-06-2015, 22:30
It's not broken, it's just sub-optimal

PC users having a devil of a time with FFB on 1.4 : http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30820-Patch-1-4-FFB-reports

I know, I was directing that at the other guy ;)
I know it's not broken. It's exactly what you just typed.

Brent G
15-06-2015, 07:30
[QUOTE=nissan4ever;990982]"Interesting, i have exactly the same in my t500, if i load the control panel i can move it a degree or so either way before it registers on the steering axis. Strangely my TX has none at all, you can't move the wheel perceptibly either way without it registering. You can feel the free play on the 500, feels like a loose belt or worn bearing."

What is this control panel and how or where can I access this to see if there is indeed a fault with my TX?

justonce68
15-06-2015, 07:35
Like most negative posts about the game, the majority of the time its down to the player not knowing how to set things up correctly. If SMS are guilty of anything is not telling us how to do it easily.
Far more important than tuning the car is tuning the FFB in my opinion, once you have the car feeling right, you can then tune it and feel what your tweaks are doing to the car

Brent G
15-06-2015, 08:02
It want intended to be negative toward the game. I just wanted to know if this was common to all TX wheels

TrevorAustin
15-06-2015, 08:04
[QUOTE=nissan4ever;990982]"Interesting, i have exactly the same in my t500, if i load the control panel i can move it a degree or so either way before it registers on the steering axis. Strangely my TX has none at all, you can't move the wheel perceptibly either way without it registering. You can feel the free play on the 500, feels like a loose belt or worn bearing."

What is this control panel and how or where can I access this to see if there is indeed a fault with my TX?

It's only available on PC, but if you have access to one, download the drivers, plug in your wheel, open usb game controllers and double click your wheel to open the control panel. This morning Thrustmaster tech support have confirmed I have a fault with my T500, too much free play on the plastic mounting to the gear shaft.

TrevorAustin
15-06-2015, 08:05
It want intended to be negative toward the game. I just wanted to know if this was common to all TX wheels

And no very much not from what I can tell, the TX is normally a very nice instant response wheel. Hopefully my new T500 will also be the same.

Brent G
15-06-2015, 10:33
[QUOTE=Brent G;991866]

It's only available on PC, but if you have access to one, download the drivers, plug in your wheel, open usb game controllers and double click your wheel to open the control panel. This morning Thrustmaster tech support have confirmed I have a fault with my T500, too much free play on the plastic mounting to the gear shaft.
Sounds like my TX has the same issue then :(

Brent G
15-06-2015, 10:33
[QUOTE=Brent G;991866]

TrevorAustin
15-06-2015, 11:16
[QUOTE=TrevorAustin;991896]

Sadly it does to me, hope I'm wrong.

justonce68
15-06-2015, 11:56

Sorry dude I wasn't specifically meaning you , I was making a generalisation about a lot of the FFB issues, that are user input issues rather than the software.

TrevorAustin
15-06-2015, 12:41
Sorry dude I wasn't specifically meaning you , I was making a generalisation about a lot of the FFB issues, that are user input issues rather than the software.

Yep, there is a lot, although this guy never mentioned FFB, he said he thought he had free play in his wheel, which sadly he probably does, then people jumped in trying to make it an FFB issue and derailed the thread completely:)

nissan4ever
15-06-2015, 12:44
Yup^^^

Schnizz58
15-06-2015, 12:54
Yep, there is a lot, although this guy never mentioned FFB, he said he thought he had free play in his wheel, which sadly he probably does, then people jumped in trying to make it an FFB issue and derailed the thread completely:)
The OP mentioned FFB twice.

TrevorAustin
15-06-2015, 13:19
The OP mentioned FFB twice.

OK.

Brent G
15-06-2015, 14:27
I mentioned FFB in the context that there is free movement from wheel centre before i feel the resistance, FFB strength is fine.

Brent G
15-06-2015, 14:32

Its cool mate, just didn't want to give the wrong impression. I love the game now ive got a wheel, just a shame it seems broken. Does anyone know wether or not I should have the same play issue in the menu's. You know when im not actually racing.

TrevorAustin
15-06-2015, 14:34
Its cool mate, just didn't want to give the wrong impression. I love the game now ive got a wheel, just a shame it seems broken. Does anyone know wether or not I should have the same play issue in the menu's. You know when im not actually racing.

Shouldn't have the play at all:) what they are talking about with the FFB is a completely different issue to you've got. There are some problems with it but they'll get fixed fairly shortly.

Brent G
15-06-2015, 14:37
Well its even more pronouced in the menus, home screen etc. Gonna call Thrustmaster support now, hope they do an advanced exchange.

Brent G
15-06-2015, 15:40
After a phone call with Thrustmaster which mostly consisted of me saying "what" or "say again" the dude gave me a load of technical blurb, none of which I understood. He then advised to download the driver programme to test all the axis' and forces etc. of my TX. Anyway after doing so it seems theres no play afterall as the tiniest input on the wheel immediately registered. Sooooo, its more than likely just me or the game or most probably a combo of the two. Cheers to all that tried to help, its not your lots fault Im a dumbass ;)

TrevorAustin
15-06-2015, 15:52
After a phone call with Thrustmaster which mostly consisted of me saying "what" or "say again" the dude gave me a load of technical blurb, none of which I understood. He then advised to download the driver programme to test all the axis' and forces etc. of my TX. Anyway after doing so it seems theres no play afterall as the tiniest input on the wheel immediately registered. Sooooo, its more than likely just me or the game or most probably a combo of the two. Cheers to all that tried to help, its not your lots fault Im a dumbass ;)

That's great:) really pleased for you.

Do a search for bmanic, who put some great tuning tips for the TX FFB, then try those, the ones that did it for me were deadzone removal 0.03 and deadzone removal fall off 0.02.

And just noticed you are on XBOX :) while there is an FFB bug in the latest patch 1.4, there isn't for 1.3 and you of course don't have it yet:) bonus.

Raven403
15-06-2015, 16:06
That's great:) really pleased for you.

Do a search for bmanic, who put some great tuning tips for the TX FFB, then try those, the ones that did it for me were deadzone removal 0.03 and deadzone removal fall off 0.02.

And just noticed you are on XBOX :) while there is an FFB bug in the latest patch 1.4, there isn't for 1.3 and you of course don't have it yet:) bonus.

^^ this, after recalibration i def. recommend upping the Deadzone Removal, and Removal Falloff, it seems to eliminate the "mushy" feel on wheel center. Other than that all I do is bump up the Master Scale an SoP I dont use the tweaker files, but thats totally individual preference.

And 1.4 should give us the way the wheel was supposed to feel, so theres that to look forward to

Ch1ps N Queso
15-06-2015, 16:18
Good to hear.

Brent G
15-06-2015, 16:46
Yeah cheers fella's, just done full re calibration, set DZ removal to .50 & DZ fall off to .05 and then set up my Zakspeed Capri with Mr Spades 'classic' numbers and its like a different wheel. I can purposely get out of shape and then tidy it up because of the new feal, its great! Again really appreciate all the advice your all Ace's in my book. Now get lost I'm going racing!!! ;)

Brent G
16-06-2015, 17:52
Alright alright I know what your thinking, not again!!! Right as I said before things are much better now Ive used the Jack Spade/Wootball FFB settings. The feedback is great but when Im at speed on straights Im getting oscillations or wobble/shaking from the TX. Ive reduced both the DZ reduction and fall off to 0.0 and this has lessened it considerably but its still there. Any Ideas how to eliminate it totally. Also how do I set my wheels centre value on XBOX one? The Thrustmaster driver control panel show my wheel 0.5% off centre when I straighten it to top dead centre. Thrustmaster help says to do it in Xbox menu but my wheel doesn't show in devices. Dont want to balls it up by doing summin wrong. Roll on V1.4 I say!!!

Raven403
16-06-2015, 17:55
Alright alright I know what your thinking, not again!!! Right as I said before things are much better now Ive used the Jack Spade/Wootball FFB settings. The feedback is great but when Im at speed on straights Im getting oscillations or wobble/shaking from the TX. Ive reduced both the DZ reduction and fall off to 0.0 and this has lessened it considerably but its still there. Any Ideas how to eliminate it totally. Also how do I set my wheels centre value on XBOX one? The Thrustmaster driver control panel show my wheel 0.5% off centre when I straighten it to top dead centre. Thrustmaster help says to do it in Xbox menu but my wheel doesn't show in devices. Dont want to balls it up by doing summin wrong. Roll on V1.4 I say!!!

Its gonna be there, Its most likely from Upping the FFB strength and Master scales to get any sort of FFB feel. The DZ removal makes it worse, But I just deal with it, IF I dont let go of the wheel everything is fine.. So just dont let go! lol

Brent G
16-06-2015, 17:59
Its gonna be there, Its most likely from Upping the FFB strength and Master scales to get any sort of FFB feel. The DZ removal makes it worse, But I just deal with it, IF I dont let go of the wheel everything is fine.. So just dont let go! lol

So its not just me then, sweet. The DZ removal made it crazy bad! Thanks for your timely reply mate.

nissan4ever
16-06-2015, 18:05

beetes_juice
16-06-2015, 18:07
Also how do I set my wheels centre value on XBOX one? The Thrustmaster driver control panel show my wheel 0.5% off centre when I straighten it to top dead centre. Thrustmaster help says to do it in Xbox menu but my wheel doesn't show in devices. Dont want to balls it up by doing summin wrong. Roll on V1.4 I say!!!

I re-centered mine a few days ago. At work now but I think its a combination of centering the wheel with hands and then pressing x,y, and mode button on the wheel possibly. Can't remember off the top of my head; I found the directions on the thrustmasters TX pdf or in the booklet that came with the wheel.

Edit: Above post

Raven403
16-06-2015, 18:14
So its not just me then, sweet. The DZ removal made it crazy bad! Thanks for your timely reply mate.

Not just you no. But if you increase DZ removal, without increasing DZ Removal FALLOFF its way worse. Did you increase both equally?

Brent G
16-06-2015, 19:05
Not just you no. But if you increase DZ removal, without increasing DZ Removal FALLOFF its way worse. Did you increase both equally?

Yes bud, tried .20 and .02 respectively and it was worse so set both to 0 and this lessened the wobble.

Brent G
16-06-2015, 19:12

yeah thats what I found on TM's website. What confuses me (dont take a deal) is the part that says 'systems menu'. Does this just mean the home screen or the system menu in the settings page. If its the latter, System menu only has options for console ID, timezone etc. I went to Devices menu but it said no device connected. Basically Im confused as to where I do the calibration for centering.

Schnizz58
16-06-2015, 19:16
Basically Im confused as to where I do the calibration for centering.
I think they just mean not to do the calibration in the game. Because something that the game does might affect the calibration.

nissan4ever
16-06-2015, 19:17
yeah thats what I found on TM's website. What confuses me (dont take a deal) is the part that says 'systems menu'. Does this just mean the home screen or the system menu in the settings page. If its the latter, System menu only has options for console ID, timezone etc. I went to Devices menu but it said no device connected. Basically Im confused as to where I do the calibration for centering.

Do it on Xbox One Dashboard or in the game (Pause screen or in game menu area). Just don't do it while racing.

Brent G
16-06-2015, 19:21
Do it on Xbox One Dashboard or in the game (Pause screen or in game menu area). Just don't do it while racing.

To the rescue again. Your my hero you are ya know! ;)

nissan4ever
16-06-2015, 19:28
To the rescue again. Your my hero you are ya know! ;)

I'm compiling your BILL right now! I expect prompt payment please :)

Brent G
16-06-2015, 19:45
I'm compiling your BILL right now! I expect prompt payment please :)

Errr...um..I.I I dont know no one called Bill. Whats that you say? Cant hear you mate sorry, I gotta be going now dinners ready................................;)

nissan4ever
16-06-2015, 20:55
Errr...um..I.I I dont know no one called Bill. Whats that you say? Cant hear you mate sorry, I gotta be going now dinners ready................................;)

You know, BILL = $$$

Brent G
17-06-2015, 08:14
You know, BILL = $$$

Your stuffed then mate I only got 's

nissan4ever
17-06-2015, 09:38
Your stuffed then mate I only got 's

I accept :)

Brent G
17-06-2015, 15:37
I accept :)

Damn you've beat me then! So what we doing as regards to DZ settings post v1.4 Patch. Is it best to now use default or is the settings we've using prior to the patch best?

Ch1ps N Queso
17-06-2015, 15:43
Damn you've beat me then! So what we doing as regards to DZ settings post v1.4 Patch. Is it best to now use default or is the settings we've using prior to the patch best?

Use default. All that other crap was to remove the dead area in the middle of the wheel.

Other than that, you might consider looking into the Jack Spade stuff for per car tweaking.

Brent G
17-06-2015, 15:45
Use default. All that other crap was to remove the dead area in the middle of the wheel.

Other than that, you might consider looking into the Jack Spade stuff for per car tweaking.

Cheers bro, much appreciated :)

nissan4ever
20-06-2015, 12:16
I'm back to using 900 DOR on my TX base & the 66% chart from Jack Spade. If I need to change my resume steering ratio I do it in game in tuning. Works fine. Regardless of the car im driving. Perhaps it's because I'm using F1 rim on my base, but changing the DOR on the base to me is pointless. Especially seeing the way they designed this game.

Brent G
20-06-2015, 12:23
I'm back to using 900 DOR on my TX base & the 66% chart from Jack Spade. If I need to change my resume steering ratio I do it in game in tuning. Works fine. Regardless of the car im driving. Perhaps it's because I'm using F1 rim on my base, but changing the DOR on the base to me is pointless. Especially seeing the way they designed this game.

Totally agree, Im using pretty much the same set up but with the standard wheel and changing DOR is unneccessary. If i feel too much rotation is required for twistier circuits I simply quicken up the rack in the tuninig settings. That works a treat no matter what type of car Im driving.

TAGS Battfink
20-06-2015, 17:42
This threads been extremely helpful guys, thanks a lot for the info, especially re centering, i thought my wheel was knackered, lol.

Olijke Poffer
21-06-2015, 07:23
Okey after reading 12 pages I have one question left. If I set the DoR to 900 at the main calibration screen, will it set automatically to the right DOR for the chosen car? A GT car does not use a DOR of 900 of corse. Or do I need to manually set it for every car I select just before racing..

GRTfast
21-06-2015, 14:02
Okey after reading 12 pages I have one question left. If I set the DoR to 900 at the main calibration screen, will it set automatically to the right DOR for the chosen car? A GT car does not use a DOR of 900 of corse. Or do I need to manually set it for every car I select just before racing..

The game automatically adjusts per car. You can tweak it with the steering ratio in the car setup. I leave my wheel in 900 mode all the time.

Jerome Aix
21-06-2015, 14:38
The game automatically adjusts per car. You can tweak it with the steering ratio in the car setup. I leave my wheel in 900 mode all the time.

How on earth does anyone drive with a 900 DOR???
Something doesn't seem to add up. Every time I've tried to drive at 900 (this includes adjusting the steering ratio and/or steering sensitivity) I still have to turn the wheel hand over hand over hand in some (many)corners.
Right now I can only play at 360 at most. Am I missing something?
I've set it to 900 and calibrated and its undriveable. Set it to 270 and calibrate it and it's fine. Of course at 270 the FFB is quite strong which raises other issues.

Ixoye56
21-06-2015, 14:51
Something doesn't seem to add up. Every time I've tried to drive at 900 (this includes adjusting the steering ratio and/or steering sensitivity) I still have to turn the wheel hand over hand over hand in some (many)corners.
I've set it to 900 and calibrated and its undriveable. Set it to 270 and calibrate it and it's fine. Of course at 270 the FFB is quite strong which raises other issues.

Maybe they like it, I know I don't, I use 360 for cars that feels weird at 900, especially road cars.

TAGS Battfink
21-06-2015, 19:08

Try reseting all controls after putting 900 mode on, i had the same issue untill i did a complete reset, now all cars have the proper DOR and handle great, the only issue i have now is getting the FFB perfect. (I like a light weight wheel but with plenty of feedback from rumble strips and breaking)

V12 GForce1
21-06-2015, 22:31
Whenever I set my wheel to 4 flashes, and calibrate. 90 degrees always reads 3850... have I done something wrong here ??

nissan4ever
21-06-2015, 22:41
Whenever I set my wheel to 4 flashes, and calibrate. 90 degrees always reads 3850... have I done something wrong here ??

4 flashes is 900. When you do the 90, you want the screen to show 900 as the number, okay.

V12 GForce1
21-06-2015, 22:53
If I set my DOR on wheel to 1 flash, and do the 90 degree turn on calibration it reads 90. But not when I set wheel to 900 degree. It always reads 3850.. not sure what im doing wrong at all to be honest.

LMR ShOwTiMe875
21-06-2015, 23:21
If I set my DOR on wheel to 1 flash, and do the 90 degree turn on calibration it reads 90. But not when I set wheel to 900 degree. It always reads 3850.. not sure what im doing wrong at all to be honest.

If you using 900. Do the first step and return the wheel to center before pressing A. Then move it to 90 degrees right or left and you should watch the numbers get close to 900 and slightly turn it til it reads 900 hold and press A

V12 GForce1
22-06-2015, 00:06
I made a typo... 1 flash and 90 degree turn = 900 degrees on second part of calibration.
but when I try 900 degree (4 flash) 90 degree turn = 3850 degrees and im not entirely sure why..
I think my wheel is default at 270 or 1 flash but a friend of mine has the same wheel and his defaults at 900 ( 4 flashes)
Do you have any idea why ?? Its left me somewhat puzzled :-/

Jerome Aix
22-06-2015, 01:31
Try reseting all controls after putting 900 mode on, i had the same issue untill i did a complete reset, now all cars have the proper DOR and handle great, the only issue i have now is getting the FFB perfect. (I like a light weight wheel but with plenty of feedback from rumble strips and breaking)

I knew I was missing something. Following your procedure it indeed worked. Thank you very much. For some reason if you don't do a reset after a 900 calibration its hand over hand in most turns.

With a 900 calibration, steering sensitivity 100, FFB 75, tire force 75 and Jack Spade's settings, quicker than ever.
Hope this helps someone.

Ixoye56
23-06-2015, 08:20
I knew I was missing something. Following your procedure it indeed worked. Thank you very much. For some reason if you don't do a reset after a 900 calibration its hand over hand in most turns.

With a 900 calibration, steering sensitivity 100, FFB 75, tire force 75 and Jack Spade's settings, quicker than ever.
Hope this helps someone.

You should leave steering sensitivity at the normal 50 for the steering to be linear, if you want faster steering than game standard, I recommend you to change DOR to a lower value at the wheel base instead, you get the same result but less twitchy.

stux
23-06-2015, 11:22

You need to turn your wheel back to the centre first, then turn to 90 degrees.

When you're done it should say something between 850 and 950 degrees or so.