PDA

View Full Version : The original pCARS when pCARS 2 launches

BanjoMaster
13-06-2015, 20:09
Hi Ian/dev team

I'm aware that this has been and probably continues to be a contentious issue, but when you launch pCARS 2, would you consider opening up the current game to modders? I'm also aware that it's very early to be even asking the question, but the simple fact is that, even if you went bonkers with your new found cash on loads of new manufacturer licenses, there'll always be cars that will never feature that many people would love to see. There's some quite incredible hobbyist talent out there which I'm sure would love to be let loose and would keep the original game alive whilst probably having little impact on any sequel sales (PC simmers that mod their sims must be an absolutely tiny niche of the whole gaming market).

If I've read between the lines of some of your more recent communications correctly (and apologies if I've grabbed the wrong end of the stick), you're probably not planning to add many or even any new manufacturers to the original game over it's lifespan, and instead concentrate on tracks. That's of course fair enough, but for those of us that have certain cars close to our hearts, letting us add them ourselves (even if it's not for another couple of years) would be beyond awesome.

Thanks for any response :-)

Ian Bell
13-06-2015, 20:14
Hi Ian/dev team

I'm aware that this has been and probably continues to be a contentious issue, but when you launch pCARS 2, would you consider opening up the current game to modders? I'm also aware that it's very early to be even asking the question, but the simple fact is that, even if you went bonkers with your new found cash on loads of new manufacturer licenses, there'll always be cars that will never feature that many people would love to see. There's some quite incredible hobbyist talent out there which I'm sure would love to be let loose and would keep the original game alive whilst probably having little impact on any sequel sales (PC simmers that mod their sims must be an absolutely tiny niche of the whole gaming market).

If I've read between the lines of some of your more recent communications correctly (and apologies if I've grabbed the wrong end of the stick), you're probably not planning to add many or even any new manufacturers to the original game over it's lifespan, and instead concentrate on tracks. That's of course fair enough, but for those of us that have certain cars close to our hearts, letting us add them ourselves (even if it's not for another couple of years) would be beyond awesome.

Thanks for any response :-)

Hi Banjo. The short answer is no.

I know some cracking mods are created, and this is where a lot of us came from ourselves, but then I'll see every other youtube video of something very poorly done and it would annoy me and do nothing for the brand. If we were PC only it would have been a tougher decision, but we're churning out more than enough content ourselves.

On the cars vs tracks, no also sorry :) I said we're track heavy and car lite and we'd work to balance that over time. What I did say was I think it's better to have a heavy track roster than a huge car roster as most people settle on 10-20 cars they like. But regardless of that, I'd like to push our numbers up over 100 or so.

yusupov
13-06-2015, 20:15
sooo...we're getting the c7r? :D

mire2
13-06-2015, 20:20
But the wishes of cars is bigger on this forum then tracks.......for me both is same important....and i see a very good future for this game with tracks and cars.......but mods are only good for the PC users.....and i must say i saw much poor created cars by modders on other racing SIM's and i can live without the modded cars.......and to have for the future more then 100 cars is very good......to have a choice of much cars is always very nice.....but at PCARS there i often dont use all of them, just the cars i can handle very good.....there are some cars i never will use again......so i think this way is a good way what Pcars choose....

BanjoMaster
13-06-2015, 20:25

I know some cracking mods are created, and this is where a lot of us came form ourselves, but then I'll see every other youtube video of something very poorly done and it would annoy me and do nothing for the brand. If we were PC only it would have been a tougher decision, but we're churning out more than enough content ourselves.

Fair enough, disappointing but understandable. I've probably seen some of the same Youtube vids you have, and they sadly cannot be unseen, but I wondered if you'd mind as much once the sequel was out.

On the cars vs tracks, no also sorry :) I said we're track heavy and car lite and we'd work to balance that over time. What I did say was I think it's better to have a heavy track roster than a huge car roster as most people settle on 10-20 cars they like. But regardless of that, I'd like to push our numbers up over 100 or so.

Just to confirm, do you mean no as in I did get the wrong end of the stick, or no as in I was correct and you're not planning many/any new manufacturers? Not quite sure

Thanks again

Ian Bell
13-06-2015, 20:30
Fair enough, disappointing but understandable. I've probably seen some of the same Youtube vids you have, and they sadly cannot be unseen, but I wondered if you'd mind as much once the sequel was out.

Just to confirm, do you mean no as in I did get the wrong end of the stick, or no as in I was correct and you're not planning many/any new manufacturers? Not quite sure

Thanks again

Go by my last sentence.

It's late :)

BanjoMaster
13-06-2015, 20:31
sooo...we're getting the c7r? :D

Ha, definitely don't want to turn the thread into a wish list - in fact I hope the mods close if it starts going off the rails - but seeing as this is the one car I'd absolutely love to see featured I'll say hell yeah :-D

BanjoMaster
13-06-2015, 20:38
Go by my last sentence.

It's late :)

I'll be honest, I may have missed the initial buy in, but I've followed the game's development obsessively for a fair amount of time, and that includes the car list thread on GTPlanet, and that numbers over a hundred already!

Anyway, I'll leave it alone now, it is late, and I'll just accept my confusion and that que sera sera.

Cheers for engaging as always though :-)

GamingCanuck
13-06-2015, 21:01
We better get the C7R, the GT3 field is not big enough. :D

Kruleworld
14-06-2015, 02:34
would you consider opening up the current game to modders?
buy assetto corsa if you can, to fill the void that can only be filled by modding. i understand it's the dev's choice and it's probably easier to work with licensees that way. The NFS series used to be modable, and those old games had a much longer shelf life than the current crop of releases. most locked games die a quick death once the sequel comes out.

but then I'll see every other youtube video of something very poorly done and it would annoy me and do nothing for the brand.
Sure, there are have been some quick conversions from other formats (which have been banished from the official forums), but the number of mid-to-top quality mods (both cars and tracks) more than makes up for a few nasty ones, and regular updates from Kunos has broken most of those crap ones that haven't been updated and don't work anymore.

townnet
14-06-2015, 03:13

And you miss to mention this...
Cadillac ATS-V.R GT3
Ferrari 458 GT3
Ford GT GT3
Chevrolet Camaro GT3
Nissan GTR GT3
Lamborghini Huracan GT3

GamingCanuck
14-06-2015, 03:56
Cadillac ATS-V.R GT3
Ferrari 458 GT3
Ford GT GT3
Chevrolet Camaro GT3
Nissan GTR GT3
Lamborghini Huracan GT3

All of those would be amazing, but I was trying to be a little realistic.

Tastakrad
14-06-2015, 05:00
I know some cracking mods are created, and this is where a lot of us came from ourselves, but then I'll see every other youtube video of something very poorly done and it would annoy me and do nothing for the brand. If we were PC only it would have been a tougher decision, but we're churning out more than enough content ourselves.

Is it possible that you permit certain modding groups to create their mods for PCars? Would be awesome to see the Enduracers and DRM mod in PCars. They will fit nicely :) .

Lawndarts
14-06-2015, 08:31
Cadillac ATS-V.R GT3
Ferrari 458 GT3
Ford GT GT3
Chevrolet Camaro GT3
Nissan GTR GT3
Lamborghini Huracan GT3

Nissan, Chevy, and Ford are very easy licenses to obtain. The rest, not so much, or come will costs.

Racefreak
14-06-2015, 11:13

If we get the C7.R I'm set for for awhile....maybe 3-5 years lol

BanjoMaster
14-06-2015, 13:08
Completely exhausted and with a huge lump in my throat, I beg you please get us the Corvette C7R

Out before the thread goes weird. Going for much needed sleep!

VFX Pro
14-09-2016, 05:32
I strongly agree with Ian. A greater track selection is better than a large car selection. Most user tend to only use their favorite car over and over, especially if they are tuned. Some cars, I only drove them for a few lap and hated them, thus never touched them again (ie very old cars)

bigal1000
14-09-2016, 15:48
I strongly agree with Ian. A greater track selection is better than a large car selection. Most user tend to only use their favorite car over and over, especially if they are tuned. Some cars, I only drove them for a few lap and hated them, thus never touched them again (ie very old cars)

Ditto..................

konnos
14-09-2016, 17:07
I also strongly agree. Just look at AC, quite a few cars, not enough tracks, like a third of them are from nearby their HQ in Italy, not very exciting to be honest.

P.S. That's some crazy necrothreading, were you actually reading the whole forum thread by thread??... :D

Konan
14-09-2016, 18:08
Hmm...why can't we have our cake and eat it too?...more cars...more tracks...:cool:

Edit: people seem to keep forgetting the name of the game...pCARS imho means concentration should lie firstly on the cars and their different classes...
That was the main achievement of this game:making each and every car as close to reality as possible...
Well at least that's my view on things...

Konan
14-09-2016, 19:47
My point was actually that (for me at least) the cars are the "stars" of the game and allthough the variety and detail of the tracks is amazing,and more tracks are very welcome,i still would like the concentration kept on the cars...
I'd hate to see them "generalised" as if you would feel like driving the same car over and over...(which happened in other so called "sims" on the market)

rosko
14-09-2016, 21:57
I generally rotate cars & tracks & learn as many as possible, but if anything i tend to stick to certain tracks rather than cars.

Ryzza5
14-09-2016, 23:08
Don't forget CARS = Community Assisted Racing Simulator, so I'd counter your point about it just being 'about the cars' Konan and say it's more about motorsport and the community involvement (during and after production). For me it's about the feelings I get when having a proper battle on the track lap after lap.

FS7
15-09-2016, 01:28
Cars are good but personally I find that tracks give me more replay value than cars.
In rFactor I downloaded only a dozen or so cars and there's 5 or so cars I use regularly, but I've downloaded over 100 track locations.

Konan
15-09-2016, 02:22
For me it's about the feelings I get when having a proper battle on the track lap after lap.

...which wouldn't be as exciting when everyone drives a car that acts the same no matter which one they pick...:p

hkraft300
15-09-2016, 08:40
...which wouldn't be as exciting when everyone drives a car that acts the same no matter which one they pick...:p

Fear not, friend. I don't see SMS going the way of certain established studios (T10/PD/CM).
More cars + more tracks = more disgruntled wife -_-

Haiden
15-09-2016, 12:06
While it may be true that most people stick to their favorite car, you have to remember that those favorite vary greatly. Having a larger car selection, allows more people to find their favorites. I'm always surprised by how many people love cars and classes that I'm totally uninterested in.

I also think lots of tracks is better for the single player experience, but not so much so for the multiplayer experience. I'm not saying this is a reason to limit the number of tracks, but keep in mind... the more tracks there are, the less familiar a lot of players will be with them. There's a reason servers running Spa, Silverstone, Catalunya, Road America, Laguna, and other mainstays attract more players. When we all know the track, the online experience is so much better. Nothing sucks worse than being in a session where 1/4 of the drivers don't know the track. Running night races, or anything with impaired visibility becomes almost impossible.

I was in a session last night--Donnington heavy fog. When the session started there were about 20 drivers. Only about a 1/4 knew the track well enough to drive it in the fog. It was impossible to get a decent quali lap, because the other drivers were just in the way--all over the place. By the time the race started, there were only 10 drivers left. Out of that 10, only 3 of us knew the track. We lost over half of the good drivers to that cluster f'ck of a quali. Not fun.

poirqc
15-09-2016, 14:37
While it may be true that most people stick to their favorite car, you have to remember that those favorite vary greatly. Having a larger car selection, allows more people to find their favorites. I'm always surprised by how many people love cars and classes that I'm totally uninterested in.

I also think lots of tracks is better for the single player experience, but not so much so for the multiplayer experience. I'm not saying this is a reason to limit the number of tracks, but keep in mind... the more tracks there are, the less familiar a lot of players will be with them. There's a reason servers running Spa, Silverstone, Catalunya, Road America, Laguna, and other mainstays attract more players. When we all know the track, the online experience is so much better. Nothing sucks worse than being in a session where 1/4 of the drivers don't know the track. Running night races, or anything with impaired visibility becomes almost impossible.

I was in a session last night--Donnington heavy fog. When the session started there were about 20 drivers. Only about a 1/4 knew the track well enough to drive it in the fog. It was impossible to get a decent quali lap, because the other drivers were just in the way--all over the place. By the time the race started, there were only 10 drivers left. Out of that 10, only 3 of us knew the track. We lost over half of the good drivers to that cluster f'ck of a quali. Not fun.

Something good would be some kind of combo selector. A low power tin top at lemans isn't great. A F1 on Oulton Park Foster isn't any better.

Being able to rate or choose a working, fun and intense combo, would be great. It would be meaningful for driver to learn those because they make sense. It could probably attrack more poeple on those tracks.

rosko
15-09-2016, 17:41
Don't forget CARS = Community Assisted Racing Simulator, so I'd counter your point about it just being 'about the cars' Konan and say it's more about motorsport and the community involvement (during and after production). For me it's about the feelings I get when having a proper battle on the track lap after lap.

Pcars is a sandbox racing game I think that was their ordinal strategy so we need lots of cars & tracks. We already have lots of both so more of more = mooore

Pisshead30
16-09-2016, 12:08

Definitely track heavy more than car heavy, I play forza6 and theres so many cars I don't use so tracks are more important