PDA

View Full Version : Road America - Carousel

danowat
14-06-2015, 07:05
Couple of questions regarding this turn.

Firstly, what is best way / best line, to take this corner.

Secondly, the AI seem to be able to take this corner much, much quicker than the player, is this simply down to the differences in AI physics model, or is it just the AI take a better line.

NemethR
14-06-2015, 07:34
Well, as for the best line, its best (in my experience) to take the corner, as if it were 2 corners.

I tend to go into the corner as fast as I can, and slow down towards the middle (this allows me to be on the outside of the corner near the middle, and then slowly pulling the car to the inside, once I see the inside curbs at the exit, I aim to them, and accelerate. (If you get a feeling where the curb on the inside is, you can even accelerate a little bit earlier.

But that corner has multiple lines, this is the one I tend to use.
OR: I keep to the inside all the way through

For the AI, I have no idea

gpk99
14-06-2015, 08:05
4th gear......lift off the throttle in the middle of the turn...just a shade....5th gear......keep the momentum.....don't lose concentration....accelerate into the straight...zoom zoom zoom

hkraft300
14-06-2015, 09:04
I run wide at entry (outside or left side of the track) and scrub speed, pull to the inside (right side) by the middle of the turn and get on the gas hard as early as I can to carry the most exit speed.
roughly.

3800racingfool
15-06-2015, 04:06
Really depends on how you come off the previous corner.

If you take a late apex then keep right and just lift some when you get into the carousel. You'll drift out to about the middle of the track by the time you hit it's mid-section. After that keep light on the throttle until you see the kurbs to the inside. As soon as you see them hit the gas and you should come flying out of there.

If you took an earlier apex then you can move to the outside of the carousel and focus on building a little speed through it hitting that inside curb with full throttle again as soon as you see it.

That's how I was told to drive it by someone who's actually been there and raced.

RobMUFC1987
15-06-2015, 04:37
I go through it on the outside half throttle. When the car gets grip and goes towards the inside, as soon as I get to the middle of the track, I floor it.

Mascot
15-06-2015, 09:42
Full throttle into the gravel then spin my wheels until I dig myself in nice and deep.

Stops the marshals getting bored.

ghosty5700
15-06-2015, 11:44
It is a tricky corner to get right and to keep up with the AI as they are super fast round this corner the best thing to do is try and follow the AI in as closely as possibly then go out to the far edge of the corner mid corner and then point the car back over to the apex and accelerate as soon as you can. I have lost count of how many laps and races I have done of Road America to get this right but when you do you can keep up with the AI all the way down past the kink into the right hander another tricky corner as the AI seem to be super late on the brakes there as well. I find you really have to come across towards the inside curb to keep the AI behind and to carry some decent speed.
I have have now moved onto Silverstone GP and I am finding the same issue around some of the sweeping bends the AI brake super late and carry so much speed around some corners. Also they seem to launch off the Road America carousel and the Luffield hairpin at Silverstone with unbelievable traction i assume the AI will be balanced in future updates until then keep practicing!

Ryno917
15-06-2015, 14:33
Full throttle into the gravel then spin my wheels until I dig myself in nice and deep.

Stops the marshals getting bored.

That's my line.

But seriously - it's a very tricky corner, and it has many ways to navigate. It also will depend on the type of car you're driving, and what your driving style is. A FWD car will be better with a different line than a RWD one, for instance.

bman1972x
06-03-2016, 04:14
Anyone else having trouble with the Carousel for Indy Cars whilst driving against the AI. I think I'm losing a second on average for Sector 2 because of this corner. Even when I think I've nailed the corner the AI still pulls away from me. Even when I'm fastest in Sectors 1 & 3, the best I've done in Sector 2 is to be down by 7/10ths, but usually down by 1 to 1.5 seconds.

Mauler_77
06-03-2016, 07:25
It's my least favourite corner on what is an excellent track. The AI have always been good round there but I'm sure they got even better after the last patch (there were some notes regarding this track). I just try to maintain a consistent speed and hug the apex, but I'm going to start trying to start wide and cut in. Makes a big difference if your car has some understeer though as it can make the whole corner very tricky. Whatever time I lose there I know I can make back on a few other corners that I always take faster than the AI though.

havocc
06-03-2016, 10:18
Anyone else having trouble with the Carousel for Indy Cars whilst driving against the AI. I think I'm losing a second on average for Sector 2 because of this corner. Even when I think I've nailed the corner the AI still pulls away from me. Even when I'm fastest in Sectors 1 & 3, the best I've done in Sector 2 is to be down by 7/10ths, but usually down by 1 to 1.5 seconds.

Ai passed me on the outside at carousel with Dallara...

chaozbandit
06-03-2016, 11:12
Tight entry then swinging out in the middle before you tighten again for the second curb, you should be at 80%-full throttle by the time the bridge comes into view. Speed should be minimum 160 kph throughout the entire thing.

hkraft300
06-03-2016, 12:05
Tight entry then swinging out in the middle before you tighten again for the second curb, you should be at 80%-full throttle by the time the bridge comes into view. Speed should be minimum 160 kph throughout the entire thing.

If I don't brake too late at entry, I keep a steady tight-ish line and I'm getting on full power just before the inside strip.
Speeds depend on aero. Different lines can give different splits but I prefer a fast exit to get a good run on the back straight. That corner is long and crucial if you're a TT queen, but certainly not the be-all in a race where tyre sympathy is of concern.

Ai passed me on the outside at carousel with Dallara...

Ouch :p

Shogun613
06-03-2016, 12:08
Really depends on how you come off the previous corner.

If you take a late apex then keep right and just lift some when you get into the carousel. You'll drift out to about the middle of the track by the time you hit it's mid-section. After that keep light on the throttle until you see the kurbs to the inside. As soon as you see them hit the gas and you should come flying out of there.

If you took an earlier apex then you can move to the outside of the carousel and focus on building a little speed through it hitting that inside curb with full throttle again as soon as you see it.

That's how I was told to drive it by someone who's actually been there and raced.

That's pretty much how I do it...

E_Luckow
06-03-2016, 13:05
I always look for real on board videos to get a better idea on how to deal with tricky corners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duNKaCRm89c

havocc
06-03-2016, 13:50
Here you can see gears, more recent car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYE4cEFBYUI