PDA

View Full Version : Braking distance versus AI

kramard
14-06-2015, 15:38
I'm getting a bit confused, as I'm working through my career at 75% difficulty, I'm noticing the AI is out braking me by a marker or more regardless of setup. I have pedals, G27 and played with brake sensitivity from 50% - 1%. I start deep in the brakes and then gradually lift till reaching the turn in point. Every time I take the AIs brake point I blow the turn. Any thoughts? I don't want to turn the AI skill down but want to understand why I'm not able to execute the same brake performance as the AI. Currently playing the 919 in the US Clubsport Trophy and noticed the same in the 1M during the Road TC1 UK Cup. I also turned on anti lock brakes and did not notice a reduction in brake distance. Thoughts?

BioForce
14-06-2015, 15:45
I can confirm this. I always have to brake some meters before AI beakpoints, otherwise I crash hardly in them.

danowat
14-06-2015, 15:49
Because the AI's tyre model is a lot more forgiving than the players, which causes big unbalances in the AI's performance.

Look at the way they can handle the MkIV or the 98T, they can do things the player can't, just watch them on the in session monitor with the telemetry on and try and replicate what they can do.

mkstatto
14-06-2015, 15:51
Hypothetical question, would you except a worse looking game for one where the ai's performance was more accuratly simulated?

jgaganas
14-06-2015, 15:59
Agreed, it "seems" they hop on the brakes immediately at 100%. If you're too close, you're in trouble (especially with load cell pedals).

Would be great if they would start braking at lower percentages and than increase their braking effort (load cell behavior).

Edit:

Imola first chicane is a good example (Tamburello, High-Speed braking).
In close racing, if i'm a tad too close/late i run into them. If i'm a tad too early, i get hit from behind. :P

I must hit the brake there "perfectly" to stay out of trouble (or go out of line).
And with perfectly, i mean perfectly "for racing with the AI", not perfectly for my driving style.

danowat
14-06-2015, 16:07
Hypothetical question, would you except a worse looking game for one where the ai's performance was more accuratly simulated?

Shouldn't really be an either or situation.

So it's a bizarre question.

mkstatto
14-06-2015, 16:15
Shouldn't really be an either or situation.

So it's a bizarre question.

Granted its a weird question, and I know that most of the graphics is handled by the GPU, but I am asking in terms of peoples priorities. If a more graphically intense game is harder on its CPU I personally would prefer a less 'pretty' game as opposed to where a little extra bit of CPU power could allow the Ai's tries to simulated in the same way as the players. I hope that makes sense.

RyanHieronymus
14-06-2015, 16:53
I've noticed as well, but not to the extent you're describing. I actually quite enjoy it. Think back to Simbin, or any ISI engine sim and you could easily outbrake any AI with ease. I enjoy the challenge to be honest. If you get a good run on them and pull along side it's not impossible to outbrake them, but you've really got to be on your game and you can't just divebomb them. Not dissimilar from real car racing actually.

msportdan
14-06-2015, 16:54
confirmed they have braking distances like f1 cars. This was in a clio lol

Lawndarts
14-06-2015, 18:04
Agreed, I figured out that I can get away with a whole lot more trail breaking in pcars than any other sim. I prefer to break, setup the turn, get on the acceleration early. The AI just throw their car into the turns always on the edge... It does diminish the authenticity a bit as it forces me to relearn a less than practical driving style. It's further diminished by the fact that late apexing in an early apex turn does not effect their exit speed.

I wonder what % of AI is actually more 1 to 1 with a real driver, real = not perfect, vs compensating for the AI to be competitive.