PDA

View Full Version : Crowdfunding licenses

AfterAll14
14-06-2015, 19:49
Maybe a stupid idea, but anyway I'll try...
We all know pCARS has problems with licenses.
Probably for Slightly Mad Studios its a risky investment to buy licenses.
So I have an idea - why can't we do it same way as game money were raised - by crowdfunding it.
The problem however is how much would it cost. If it cost way too much this will not work.
So maybe we can determine what kind of cars and tracks we want in game, how much would it cost, and then divide them into packs, and make several crowdfunding applications. Those who succeed in raising money will appear in game.
In the end we will get exactly what we want, SMS doesnt risk anything, and buying DLC with tracks and cars maybe cost even more and not everyone will like it.

Update:
So many requests on cars and tracks in this threads:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21910-What-cars-do-you-want-to-see-in-game
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22153-What-tracks-do-you-want-to-see-in-game
But you have to understand 2 things:
1. Currently SMS is able to cover a very little percent of those requests.
2. To have new tracks/cars SMS have to buy licence for it, we have to buy DLC from SMS. So in the end its us who pay for license anyway.

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:08
Why crowdfunding linceses??? They got now enpugh money with the game.....so there is absolute no problem to buy licenses......we just must wait.....Pcars (crowdfunding), Pcars 2 ( crowdfunding)..and now you want to do licenses crowdfunding? What should the gamers all do for Pcars??!....i think they got enough for making the game bigger....and they will do it.....we just must wait......

so my answer for crowdfunding for licenses....Never

AfterAll14
14-06-2015, 20:10
Why crowdfunding linceses??? They got now enpugh money with the game.....so there is absolute no problem to buy licenses......we just must wait.....Pcars (crowdfunding), Pcars 2 ( crowdfunding)..and now you want to do licenses crowdfunding? What should the gamers all do for Pcars??!....i think they got enough for making the game bigger....and they will do it.....we just must wait......

You have to buy DLC anyway to have new cars/tracks.

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:11
Like you told that, it sounds like we the gamers spend all our money for licenses and the second Pcars and they take all the win money after that, or what?.....no

RobMUFC1987
14-06-2015, 20:13
Like you told that, it sounds like we the gamers spend all our money for licenses and the second Pcars and they take all the win money after that, or what?.....no

So the people who make the game aren't allowed to make money or feeding their families?

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:17
I think it is a bad idea for sure.......let them do their job....why we should make for everything we couldnt wait a crowdfunding......i think now it is enough with something like that....because look, Pcars 2 is also crowdfunding....why should we do all of things with crowdfunding......it is a game developer...or do you see others do something like that all the time........for the first "project" was it a great idea......for the second, OK.....but you must see that SMS win money with their game, so they spend it for the game...and after reaching 1 million i think there isnt a problem with money........it are their Job's to produce a game and spend money in their game for doing it better....but not the job of us gamers to invest them all the time for everything.........money dont clear all problems.......i swear in the future we get awesome new manufactures...just wait

AfterAll14
14-06-2015, 20:19

I run my own construction business, so I know that there is no such term as "enough money". Its always a risky thing to invest in something. Maybe there are something many of us would like to see in game, but SMS will not risk to invest on byuing license for it. In the end there is no magic money - all money for game development will come from us anyway - either you buy DLC or crowdfund it.

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:21
So the people who make the game aren't allowed to make money or feeding their families?

But it is their job to produce a game...and we players dont pay them for their jobs.....they still get their money for producing......crowdfunding was a help to make the game....so your talking makes no sense......sounds like without crowdfunding they all where homeless people....they get their money with the job ,with crowdfunding or without it.....anyways

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:24
But tell em one thing......they reached 1 million....and it means money is there to produce.....or do you want to tell me they got nothing??..i saw other developers with much more few people and cash, but they still got ferrari license.....so i think the people make it to hard with crowdfunding and spending money for SMS.....

RobMUFC1987
14-06-2015, 20:25
But it is their job to produce a game...and we players dont pay them for their jobs.....they still get their money for producing......crowdfunding was a help to make the game....so your talking makes no sense......sounds like without crowdfunding they all where homeless people....they get their money with the job ,with crowdfunding or without it.....anyways

They're an independent company. If it wasn't for crowdfunding, we wouldn't have the game. If we don't pay them, how do the games get made? Did Rockstar have a Genie to help make GTA5?

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:25
There is absolute no sense to crowdfunding everything for a GAME developer......it is their job to produce a game......or do you see others doing that all the time?....

AfterAll14
14-06-2015, 20:26
But tell em one thing......they reached 1 million....and it means money is there to produce.....or do you want to tell me they got nothing??..i saw other developers with much more few people and cash, but they still got ferrari license.....so i think the people make it to hard with crowdfunding and spending money for SMS.....

But they won't give us free DLC anyway.

RobMUFC1987
14-06-2015, 20:26
There is absolute no sense to crowdfunding everything for a GAME developer......it is their job to produce a game......or do you see others doing that all the time?....

How do you think developers get money to start with? Off a tree?

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:27
Just people who cant wait for new licenses want make it that way....to have their wish licenses, fast.......wait and see....Pcars will do a great job in the future....

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:27
How do you think developers get money to start with? Off a tree?

?........bandai namco?

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:28
And SMS isnt first time in game produce.....so i cant understand you all want to give them your money after Pcars reached 1 million.....i cant understand that.....

RobMUFC1987
14-06-2015, 20:30
More money = more features, they could hire more people, get things done quicker etc

AfterAll14
14-06-2015, 20:31
Just people who cant wait for new licenses want make it that way....to have their wish licenses, fast.......wait and see....Pcars will do a great job in the future....

One of the basic thing that made pCARS so good is community assistance in development. So if it made the game better, why it should not improve it further?
Main here is that we choose what track/car we want, then we get it. Isnt it good for everyone?

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:31
Crowdfunding is for help at the beginning.....but now there isnt much to say about that.....Pcars gets crowdfunding, too......so what should they do with all the money they win, when we the players crowdfunding all the things for the game, like the license.....i think there is enough now!.....Pcars crowdfunding, NOW pcars 2 crowdfunding....what you guys want more here?....

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:32
I see you guys want just things for yourself.........if we all could choose what tracks and cars we want.....ohhhhh god, it would be millions.......

JessicaWalter
14-06-2015, 20:35
id throw in for Alpina

AfterAll14
14-06-2015, 20:37
I see you guys want just things for yourself.........if we all could choose what tracks and cars we want.....ohhhhh god, it would be millions.......

Soo? Gran Turismo has 1000+ cars, why we cant have it in pCARS?

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:45
Because it is to much and no one will drive that million cars........the devs told they want to reach 150 cars....and much more tracks in the future.....and it is ok....for Pcars i think 150 are absolute much......i drive still just a few cars.........its a stupid idea with crowdfundig everything.......next time we crowdfunding a toilet for SMS........

ok what when we got 1000 + cars for Pcars.....what is then with Pcars 2?....then Pcars 2 makes absolute no sense.....what should be there new???

mire2
14-06-2015, 20:53
Dude, you must understand, i am one of those who want new manufacteurs and cars, too....but i have thrust in the developers, that they do it good for all of us.........i want so hard a ferrari or lambo, chevi, viper and more other cars of manufactures in-game.....but to much is to much.....Pcars got for me a absolute different game feeling then other racing games i played befor.....and i drive one car vefy long in Pcars.....so 1000 of cars would be to much.....and then sometimes comes Pcars 2 and all leave the first Pcars and just play the second......
for me 150 cars are very very good....ok maybe a bit more....but for this game...very nice

AfterAll14
14-06-2015, 20:57
Dude, you must understand, i am one of those who want new manufacteurs and cars, too....but i have thrust in the developers, that they do it good for all of us.........i want so hard a ferrari or lambo, chevi, viper and more other cars of manufactures in-game.....but to much is to much.....Pcars got for me a absolute different game feeling then other racing games i played befor.....and i drive one car vefy long in Pcars.....so 1000 of cars would be to much.....and then sometimes comes Pcars 2 and all leave the first Pcars and just play the second......
for me 150 cars are very very good....ok maybe a bit more....but for this game...very nice

Did you buy latest DLC?

Check this thread BTW:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21910-What-cars-do-you-want-to-see-in-game

Machinist90
14-06-2015, 21:14
id throw in for Alpina

they can have my firstborn

BanjoMaster
14-06-2015, 22:10
Potentially an idea with legs I think. We work out which car or cars most would like to see, we find out how much the modelling costs would be from someone like United Racing Design (they've done cars for both pCARS and Assetto Corsa), SMS could advise on the licensing costs, and then it'd be up to the whoever was interested to raise the necessary cash. It'd simply be an extension of the whole WMD idea in my opinion.

NemethR
14-06-2015, 22:38
I do simpathise with the idea, but if i remember correctly, there was something with a court telling SMS not to accepty crowd funding anymore...
That is why (for example I) could not get into the Founders program anymore... Shame :(

BanjoMaster
15-06-2015, 05:52
It doesn't necessarily need to be crowdfunded by SMS though, it could be done separately. SMS would obviously need to be involved at key stages, but the financial stuff could skirt round about them as much as possible?

mire2
15-06-2015, 06:48
Did you buy latest DLC?

Check this thread BTW:

What should that tell me now? I post there, too....but this are wishes and the devs choose out of them i think.......but to have extrem much cars makes no sense fir the second project cars game......till now i didnt see a sense for a second game of it.....i think they should work the first out till ever.......but they want to do a second.......and if we have so much cars and tracks, i would never play Pcars 2.......so i think they will do it like they want it with the 150 cars in the future......its much enough for a game like that

Invincible
15-06-2015, 07:02
I do simpathise with the idea, but if i remember correctly, there was something with a court telling SMS not to accepty crowd funding anymore...
That is why (for example I) could not get into the Founders program anymore... Shame :(

They still are allowed to accept crowd funding (Pcars 2 i.e.). But they aren't allowed to make it "mirco-funding" again. The FSA has set a minimum for crowd funding (a few thousand quid minimum per investor, iirc)

cornishbrooksy
15-06-2015, 07:16
Purely speculation, but i expect that attempting to crowd fund licenses already breaks some form of NDA.

As in if crowdfunding opens for Lambo....part of the NDA is already broken as its revealed that they are pursuing that license which could upset the process......also what happens if it fails for another reason except for money.....people will want their money back...so who pays for the wages of the guys that spent months pursuing the licence for it to fall through.

Also i think its not possible to crowdfund without specifying the brands....people could put in a lot of money hoping blindly to secure Ferrari or Lambo.....and then the brands they were hoping for don't get licensed...again people will get annoyed or frustrated and will lead to a breakdown of the process.

As a concept i think it would be great if we could put forward money for future licenses....execution though is a lot more complicated to keep every party happy.

FA RACING 01
15-06-2015, 07:20
They still are allowed to accept crowd funding (Pcars 2 i.e.). But they aren't allowed to make it "mirco-funding" again. The FSA has set a minimum for crowd funding (a few thousand quid minimum per investor, iirc)

That is correct. If it's a non-profit scheme there's nothing that prohibits SMS to follow the WMD format of development. Same should equally apply to the OP's suggestion which I don't think will be infringing conduct prescribed by the FCA..

It might be a tough one to orchestrate, but I for one will without doubt be in if SMS decide to go in on this. If it will help to bring the Ferrari to PCars for example, I'm in - boots and all.

SpeedLimitUnknown
15-06-2015, 08:54
I think 4 or 5 different cars per class that are competitive against each other would offer enough variety during a MP race or championship season. Quality over quantity as the saying goes.

AfterAll14
15-06-2015, 10:53

Its bad news. If its several thousand minimum then we can forget about crowdfunding SMS :culpability:

Purely speculation, but i expect that attempting to crowd fund licenses already breaks some form of NDA.

As in if crowdfunding opens for Lambo....part of the NDA is already broken as its revealed that they are pursuing that license which could upset the process......also what happens if it fails for another reason except for money.....people will want their money back...so who pays for the wages of the guys that spent months pursuing the licence for it to fall through.

Also i think its not possible to crowdfund without specifying the brands....people could put in a lot of money hoping blindly to secure Ferrari or Lambo.....and then the brands they were hoping for don't get licensed...again people will get annoyed or frustrated and will lead to a breakdown of the process.

As a concept i think it would be great if we could put forward money for future licenses....execution though is a lot more complicated to keep every party happy.

Basic idea is to divide licenses into several groups, and people put money exactly for what they want. And as far as I know if crowdfunding doesn't succeed then money is back to people. But we can make an option for those who put their money on not successful group to change to other groups if they want.

D1rty Duck UK
15-06-2015, 11:14
Haven't SMS already got enough cash from gamers? I mean sold a million copies so they have some spare cash.

I'll buy DLC but other than that they won't be getting any help from me. They need investors not gamers sticking there hands in there pockets for others to make a profit on.

FA RACING 01
15-06-2015, 11:40
Haven't SMS already got enough cash from gamers? I mean sold a million copies so they have some spare cash.

I'll buy DLC but other than that they won't be getting any help from me. They need investors not gamers sticking there hands in there pockets for others to make a profit on.

I don't read the OP's suggestion as to suggest the developers does not have enough money. Sure they do. BUT the idea is for the less priority cars for example which SMS would not regard as a priority in their bigger picture of things.

TrevorAustin
15-06-2015, 12:45
And SMS isnt first time in game produce.....so i cant understand you all want to give them your money after Pcars reached 1 million.....i cant understand that.....

As you know they have enough money, how much did they spend making the game? And how much do they make from each sale? And how much per day are they spending on fixes and developing new content? I would like you to explain those figures so we can all be comfortable knowing they "have enough" to get any license. Oh and also, how much are the licenses they have enough for?

Actually this goes for anybody saying they have enough money, how the hell do you know that? Ian Bell and maybe one or two others are the only people that know that. Yes, they've sold a million copies, less licenses, less royalties, less crowdfunding monies put aside, less............etc.

And do any of you have a clue what their monthly wage bill has been for the last x years? and currently stands at, for, as I understand in excess of 40 developers, I can assure you Ian and crew are not sitting amongst massive swathes of excess gold coins and champagne. Personally I would be surprised if they've even broken even yet. But as a normal individual with no info I haven't got a clue about the real numbers.

AfterAll14
15-06-2015, 13:24
As you know they have enough money, how much did they spend making the game? And how much do they make from each sale? And how much per day are they spending on fixes and developing new content? I would like you to explain those figures so we can all be comfortable knowing they "have enough" to get any license. Oh and also, how much are the licenses they have enough for?

Actually this goes for anybody saying they have enough money, how the hell do you know that? Ian Bell and maybe one or two others are the only people that know that. Yes, they've sold a million copies, less licenses, less royalties, less crowdfunding monies put aside, less............etc.

And do any of you have a clue what their monthly wage bill has been for the last x years? and currently stands at, for, as I understand in excess of 40 developers, I can assure you Ian and crew are not sitting amongst massive swathes of excess gold coins and champagne. Personally I would be surprised if they've even broken even yet. But as a normal individual with no info I haven't got a clue about the real numbers.

Ian as a head of studio is probably the only person who can answer those questions.

I little offtopic:

We all say that its SMS game - SMS made it, SMS updates it, SMS has to get licenses... But I'd like to think of it as its our game, as it belongs to community, not just one studio. So if we want something new in it, we have to put society effort in it. Million copies sold mean there are at least million people playing it - its our community ant its our great power. Together we can make it the best racing game in the world.

I'm a huge fan of motorsports racing, but I was not playing racing games for years, because they were all crap. pCARS excited me so much - it made me buy a racing wheel for 300$. So I'd love this game to develop, I know that I can be heard, the head of the studio personally responds to fans almost every day. I trust in these guys, that they can bring us what we all want to have from virtual racing.

They are like the government of our little racing republic, but its democracy - its us who determine where we go.

TrevorAustin
15-06-2015, 13:56
Ian as a head of studio is probably the only person who can answer those questions.

I little offtopic:

We all say that its SMS game - SMS made it, SMS updates it, SMS has to get licenses... But I'd like to think of it as its our game, as it belongs to community, not just one studio. So if we want something new in it, we have to put society effort in it. Million copies sold mean there are at least million people playing it - its our community ant its our great power. Together we can make it the best racing game in the world.

I'm a huge fan of motorsports racing, but I was not playing racing games for years, because they were all crap. pCARS excited me so much - it made me buy a racing wheel for 300$. So I'd love this game to develop, I know that I can be heard, the head of the studio personally responds to fans almost every day. I trust in these guys, that they can bring us what we all want to have from virtual racing.

They are like the government of our little racing republic, but its democracy - its us who determine where we go.

You've missed my point, as that IS my point:) although everybody else seems to think they know the answer, lol.

And agreed!

Ryno917
15-06-2015, 14:31

That was my thought - crowdfunding means that the information is out there long before any deal is actually made. It also means that there is a specific dollar figure attached to said deal, which absolutely breaks NDAs.

It's a nice thought, though, and some manufacturers may be open to it. I'd be happy to put up some money for a BRZ, 458 GT3 (and 488GT3 if/when they make one), Gallardo GT3 and Huracan GT3. I'd also put up money for Mosport, Zandvoort, Mont Tremblant, Toronto Exhibition Course, VIR and Barber without thinking twice.

The British 1st
26-07-2015, 10:49
Why don't WMD go to company who makes the car e.g. Ferrari for the Ferrari 458 gt3 then ask them how much money do they wont for the licenses e.g. for the lamborghini Huracan gt3 they may want 10.000.00 then the people who pay towards it get the car for free then the everyone one else pays for it as DLC call it the GT3 DLC witch could have

. Lamborghini huracan gt3
. Ferrari 458 gt3 or the 488 gt3
. McLaren 650s gt3
. Nissan GT-R gt3
. corvette c7 gt3

Also why don't WMD make there own BTCC cars ? they done it with the Formula A cars (f1 cars) Another thing... when will the Xbox One PCARS get our own little paint shop ?

AfterAll14
26-07-2015, 10:53
Why don't WMD go to company who makes the car e.g. Ferrari for the Ferrari 458 gt3 then ask them how much money do they wont for the licenses e.g. for the lamborghini Huracan gt3 they may want 10.000.00 then the people who pay towards it get the car for free then the everyone one else pays for it as DLC call it the GT3 DLC witch could have

. McLaren 650s gt3
. Nissan GT-R gt3
. corvette c7 gt3

Also why don't WMD make there own BTCC cars ? they done it with the Formula A cars (f1 cars) Another thing... when will the Xbox One PCARS get our own little paint shop ?

I think Ferrari would rather say 10 000 000 .
But I think we need to ask and make this public - to show everyone how greedy they are.

Goresh
26-07-2015, 10:57
Soo? Gran Turismo has 1000+ cars, why we cant have it in pCARS?

You do realize the original Gran Turismo only had 140 cars and 11 tracks. With each version that followed the same cars were included with add ons. Maybe by Pcars 6 we will see 1000+ cars too.

AfterAll14
26-07-2015, 10:59
You do realize the original Gran Turismo only had 140 cars and 11 tracks. With each version that followed the same cars were included with add ons. Maybe by Pcars 6 we will see 1000+ cars too.

Well... The purpose of this thread is that some players like me want it right now and ready to pay for it.
However after playing the game for almost 2 months I would rather say that SMS should first fix all bugs before any further development.

Goresh
26-07-2015, 11:09
Well... The purpose of this thread is that some players like me want it right now and ready to pay for it.
However after playing the game for almost 2 months I would rather say that SMS should first fix all bugs before any further development.

I think your missing the point, its great to want something NOW, but to model 1000+ cars, create working physics for each in a time frame your suggesting is not going to happen. This would require years of work as it did in the GT franchise.

AfterAll14
26-07-2015, 11:13
I think your missing the point, its great to want something NOW, but to model 1000+ cars, create working physics for each in a time frame your suggesting is not going to happen. This would require years of work as it did in the GT franchise.

I'm not saying 1000 models right now. I'm saying that 3 dlc cars per month that I don't even like is not good for me. I would like to have at least 10 new cars per month that I choose by myself.
I didn't enjoy latest dlc at all. Ugly simple track, annoying million audis in game. Some people may like it, some may not. I would accept this dlc if it will come alongside with other cars and tracks that I like.

Goresh
26-07-2015, 11:19
I suggest you learn to edit the game yourself then bud, in all honesty its the only way your going to get just the content YOU want.

AfterAll14
26-07-2015, 11:29
I suggest you learn to edit the game yourself then bud, in all honesty its the only way your going to get just the content YOU want.

Don't use my words in wrong way! When I say ME I mean all people who want the same content as I want. It's maybe 10 people, maybe 1 000 000 people. If I want some car and only 10 people want it too - then it's ok for me not to have it with dlc. But if 100 000 people vote to have some car in game and you don't get it with dlc - that's the problem.

Goresh
26-07-2015, 13:13
Don't use my words in wrong way! When I say ME I mean all people who want the same content as I want. It's maybe 10 people, maybe 1 000 000 people. If I want some car and only 10 people want it too - then it's ok for me not to have it with dlc. But if 100 000 people vote to have some car in game and you don't get it with dlc - that's the problem.

LOL I don't know how to reply to that. :)

maurice-pascale
26-07-2015, 13:30
It would be great to have little DLC's with always 1 car, there i can choose which one i like and buy it for maybe 99 cents or something like that.....for me it is not always good to have a DLC with 5 cars where i just like 1 car, also with the tracks, i love the ruapuna track but only use 1 layout and with the audi's i also just like 1 car there.......it would be great to have beside the big expansion DLC's some 1 car DLC's.....but maybe this is to expensiv to do for SMS, i dont know how it works with the price for DLC's

maurice-pascale
26-07-2015, 13:33
And SMS dont make a season pass, so i think there is a good flexibility fo DLC's in a month, but now when i look at their future content schedule, it seems like all other season pass content's (one expansion pack every month+free car) i hope for maybe 2 expansion packs for a month, would be great

TrevorAustin
26-07-2015, 14:25

. McLaren 650s gt3
. Nissan GT-R gt3
. corvette c7 gt3

You don't think this is exactly what they've already done:)

maurice-pascale
26-07-2015, 15:02

. McLaren 650s gt3
. Nissan GT-R gt3
. corvette c7 gt3

Why just xbox one with the paint shop like Pc ? Why not all (xbox one, ps4)? I see often here people just talk about their own console, when they want something what Pc gamers have....when it should go to another platform then the Pc, then to all and not just Xbox one

Psychomatrix
26-07-2015, 15:21
Dlc's are a buisness model and when a dlc is successful than are licence costs no problem. it worked very well with the porsche dlc in forza 4. The license costs for ea where in the price included.

TheReaper GT
26-07-2015, 16:31
Why just xbox one with the paint shop like Pc ? Why not all (xbox one, ps4)? I see often here people just talk about their own console, when they want something what Pc gamers have....when it should go to another platform then the Pc, then to all and not just Xbox one

Pc do not have a paintshop, the users must design liveries on photoshop, than export to the game folder, and they have to replace the livery every time they want something different.

Dlc's are a buisness model and when a dlc is successful than are licence costs no problem. it worked very well with the porsche dlc in forza 4. The license costs for ea where in the price included.

That Porsche license cost a fortune, for sure, but money is not the problem for T10/Microsoft, they have much more influence being one of the systems that receive EA titles.

CPU M Rossi
26-07-2015, 23:58

. McLaren 650s gt3
. Nissan GT-R gt3
. corvette c7 gt3

umm unless its changed Microsoft has the rights to Ferrari for stuff on the Xbox and PC

Vicious13
27-07-2015, 17:45
I will pay for Koenigseggs.