PDA

View Full Version : Devs Would it be possible ?

jason
15-06-2015, 01:38
Would it be possible or a possibility to up the player count for online races , maybe to 20 ?

I only ask as our group of racers starts to grow .

Pink_650S
15-06-2015, 02:08
Yea l keep wondering why its only 16.
Why not 18? Or 17?

jason
15-06-2015, 02:26
I can only Assume its a bandwith thing that limits it or something similar .

madmax2069
15-06-2015, 03:43
Yeah they limit it for bandwidth reasons. More cars the more bandwidth it takes. I do believe SONY and Microsoft forces devs to cap how much bandwidth they allow a game to use, so that most people with run of the mill internet can play the game online without too much issues.

lordymatsuo
15-06-2015, 06:06
Why is so much bandwidth used if this is indeed the reason.

The game has to load 16 cars over the internet, the track etc is local content or is it?

Take BF4 for an extreme example, it can have 64 players with tanks, planes, helicopters, explosions, destruction of buildings etc and even with my crappy internet it is fine (since patches)

I wonder what the limiting factor was when PC got 32 player grid and console got limit to 16.

jason
15-06-2015, 06:50
Battlefield uses servers to play on , yes I don't understand why pc has double , the game loses a little of the excitement with a limit of 16 .....

Fong74
15-06-2015, 06:55
More players in a lobby would be really great! It runs really good with 16. We had a 1,5h race yesterday at Imola and all was fine (except pitting/strategy issues, but thats a bug). No disconnects, no lag, precise car positioning and collision detection.

If SMS could rise the number from 16 to 18 e.g. it would be highly appreciated of course :angel:

lordymatsuo
15-06-2015, 07:02
More players in a lobby would be really great! It runs really good with 16. We had a 1,5h race yesterday at Imola and all was fine (except pitting/strategy issues, but thats a bug). No disconnects, no lag, precise car positioning and collision detection.

If SMS could rise the number from 16 to 18 e.g. it would be highly appreciated of course :angel:

Thats interesting, we did a 16 player 20 lap lemans race post 1.4 patch and by lap 12 3 players had been disconnected with the blue screen error :(

I was the 3rd player to disconect so not sure what happened by the end. My playstation has the external fan accessoryto keep it even cooler and i got that becuase pcars was crashing so much i thought it was heat like many others.

To be fairit's only crashed once since 1.4 was released out of about 10 hours of racing so its definately better :)

Fong74
15-06-2015, 07:33
There can be many reasons for ppls discos. I dont think that the game is responsile for most of them tbh. We are racing with the same group of guys since some years (30-40 drivers on a regular basis and 10-20 additional ones from time to time). My experience is, that you have always the same persons causing trouble in terms of connection stability and performance.

Some use WiFi, some do not have their console configured as exposed host (DMZ) on their routers, some just have a crappy internet connection.

One can get suspicious if ppl that never cause problems start being disconnected over and over again. But even this can happen due to some individual temporary connection issues, too.

Overall I must say that pCars has a much mor stable and reliable online lobby system compared to GT6 e.g.

madmax2069
15-06-2015, 07:40
Why is so much bandwidth used if this is indeed the reason.

The game has to load 16 cars over the internet, the track etc is local content or is it?

Take BF4 for an extreme example, it can have 64 players with tanks, planes, helicopters, explosions, destruction of buildings etc and even with my crappy internet it is fine (since patches)

I wonder what the limiting factor was when PC got 32 player grid and console got limit to 16.

Huge difference between a game that uses dedicated servers vs a game that uses a peer 2 peer connection.

With a dedicated server you can have a lot of players without having a good connection and maintain playability (as the dedicated server does most of the heavy lifting, yes you'll still see lag but not like a p2p host). With a peer 2 peer connection the host would have a good connection just to get 16 players into a game running without issues let alone going higher then that, quite a few people dont have said good connection and would lag out of the game with 16 let alone with a higher count.

Also with more cars means less performance (as in the framerate would take a bit of a hit).

Fong74
15-06-2015, 07:43
How should "dedicated" servers work in an environment like the PSN or Live?

I dont see this happening at all, although it would be highly appreciated of course, as I aggree on the benefits such a solution has.

RobMUFC1987
15-06-2015, 07:47
There can be many reasons for ppls discos. I dont think that the game is responsile for most of them tbh. We are racing with the same group of guys since some years (30-40 drivers on a regular basis and 10-20 additional ones from time to time). My experience is, that you have always the same persons causing trouble in terms of connection stability and performance.

Some use WiFi, some do not have their console configured as exposed host (DMZ) on their routers, some just have a crappy internet connection.

One can get suspicious if ppl that never cause problems start being disconnected over and over again. But even this can happen due to some individual temporary connection issues, too.

Overall I must say that pCars has a much mor stable and reliable online lobby system compared to GT6 e.g.

Off topic but could you PM how to do the console router thing? My connection is usually ok, but every little helps

madmax2069
15-06-2015, 07:49
How should "dedicated" servers work in an environment like the PSN or Live?

I dont see this happening at all, although it would be highly appreciated of course, as I aggree on the benefits such a solution has.

The same way they work on BF4 on PC, or any other game on PC that used dedicated servers. PSN or Live environment doesnt matter as gameplay bandwidth doesnt go through PSN or Live (that would get quite costly for SONY or Microsoft if it did).

The Cons of such a solution are the servers location to you, how many servers vs active player ratio (aka not having enough dedicated server to handle the active player population, it gets rather costly), having a good connection to the server.

Off topic but could you PM how to do the console router thing? My connection is usually ok, but every little helps

The only time when you need to mess with that is if you have Nat issues or a strict Nat type (Nat type 3).

Fong74
15-06-2015, 07:58
The same way they work on BF4 on PC, or any other game on PC that used dedicated servers. PSN or Live environment doesnt matter as gameplay bandwidth doesnt go through PSN or Live (that would get quite costly for SONY or Microsoft if it did).

Interesting. So PSN/Live just act as dispatchers? The traffic is not being handeled via those networks?

If true, dedicated servers should be possible imho.

madmax2069
15-06-2015, 08:09
Interesting. So PSN/Live just act as dispatchers? The traffic is not being handeled via those networks?

If true, dedicated servers should be possible imho.

The only thing PSN and live handle are your log in to authenticate your account, what your status is (game you're playing and what not), your friends list (invites and stuff), DLC, messages, and other activities. No gameplay bandwidth ever goes through PSN or Live, not even party chat bandwidth goes through PSN or Live, that gets treated as a game and works just like a p2p hosted game (the only thing that gets transmitted to PSN or Live is the fact you have a party chat running or youre in a party chat).

Gameplay bandwidth always goes directly to the gameplay server or host. Having gameplay bandwidth going through PSN or Live would cause un needed lag, and would cost SONY and Microsoft a lot of money in extra bandwidth costs.

RobMUFC1987
15-06-2015, 08:16

The Cons of such a solution are the servers location to you, how many servers vs active player ratio (aka not having enough dedicated server to handle the active player population, it gets rather costly), having a good connection to the server.

The only time when you need to mess with that is if you have Nat issues or a strict Nat type (Nat type 3).

Interesting. So NAT 2 is ok even though I'm wired? I thought you'd get NAT 1 from wired, I did on PS3 from another provider

madmax2069
15-06-2015, 08:20
Interesting. So NAT 2 is ok even though I'm wired? I thought you'd get NAT 1 from wired, I did on PS3 from another provider

Nat 2 is basically the same as Nat 1,the only difference is how you're connected to the internet, Nat type 2 is a open Nat that going through a router, Nat Type 1 is a open Nat just connected directly up to the modem, they're identical in every other respect as both are just as open as each other. If you had a Nat type 3 that is when you need to worry because that means its a closed/strict Nat type.

lordymatsuo
15-06-2015, 10:50
as a few have mentioned dedicated servers, Ian has already confirmed this is not currently planned :(

It's not on the cards for now. I's an costly and complex thing to do on console if you're not 1st party.