PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild database improved my post patch performance

rillelives
15-06-2015, 08:35
Placebo Disclaimer...

Was very disappointed with the post-patch performance. Tweaked the visual effects etc but performance still worse than before. Monaco totally undrivable with stutters and tearing all over.

Went back to all visuals activated, set temporal to 10 and closed down PC

Did the rebuild database thing on my PS4 for the first time in its 1,5 year lifetime and started up PC again and i really believe i see significant improvements in terms of both performance and visual quality.

Most tracks butter smooth and although not perfect, Monaco drivable again.

So even if it is placebo, could be worth trying!

LeMansIndy500
15-06-2015, 16:47
In what way did the visuals and performance improve?

And was it a full rebuild or one of the smaller ones? I ask as I may give this a go but want to make sure the results are worth it before I go ahead.

amazed
15-06-2015, 17:12
How do you rebuild database on a PS4?

Umer Ahmad
15-06-2015, 17:13
Gonna sticky this one for a little while.

Maybe some other (brave) people can try it?

wicken
15-06-2015, 18:24
Gonna sticky this one for a little while.

Maybe some other (brave) people can try it?
I could give this a shot but it will be hard to take notice since latest patch made everything ridiculous smooth on PS4. Also there's no danger in going into safemode and rebuild Database, heck Sony even advices the players to do that before sending a console to them for repair. I used that option many times on my PS3 and after 5 years it still lives.

Here's the steps to access safe mode on PS4:

Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.

Aldo Zampatti
15-06-2015, 19:28
I must be honest, my PS4 version was always butter smooth from day1... I'm envy that a little bit (PS4 is basically my son's machine!) 'cause I can not plug my wheel and it looks better than my big PC :(

I'll anyway give it a try before/after this procedure and come back with my thoughts on it

mjemec11
16-06-2015, 07:19
I rebuilt my database and played a few GT3 races in career and I have to say my PS4 didn't run as hot as it usually did and the loud fans never kicked in. OP might be on to something.

rillelives
16-06-2015, 09:09
In what way did the visuals and performance improve?

And was it a full rebuild or one of the smaller ones? I ask as I may give this a go but want to make sure the results are worth it before I go ahead.

Well, for visuals it might be the case it was a combination of stutters/tearing and me down-tweaking the visual effects.

For performance, not only was Monaco a complete stutter party, even less demanding tracks like Brands Hatch Indy gave me a significant amount of broken frames, jidder and as well some small stuttering even in game friendly conditions (sunny mid-day). After database rebuild smooth as butter and hardly a single broken frame in same conditions, same car, same field...

But i have no hard facts, just my personal sensation...

rillelives
16-06-2015, 09:14
I rebuilt my database and played a few GT3 races in career and I have to say my PS4 didn't run as hot as it usually did and the loud fans never kicked in. OP might be on to something.

Same here, in dry conditions my fan also seems to operate one step below compared to before

Aldo Zampatti
16-06-2015, 15:13
I've just tried (working from home today, has it benefits) :) and to me it did not make a difference. 35 AI Thunderstorm, Azure Circuit.
To be honest, it looked smooth on the first place directly, After rebuild, fan speed and smoothness was the same, nothing to complain.
It doesn't break anything so if someone has an issue, it might worth the try.

iv-tecman
20-06-2015, 18:38
I can 100% say that this is actually doing nothing.. I tried this, didn't help and in fact I've just upgraded my Ps4 HD so I've done a clean install of the entire OS only today, and Project Cars still screen tears - the patch 1.4 helped but overall lets face it, its still got work to do if we have any hope of a racing game that doesn't tear.

Brands Hatch around the 2nd corner is still no better then it was pre patch 1.4 TBH. Azure Coast and Azure Circuit I can't play as the shifting of the screen makes my eyes hurt. And California highway is no better, but did notice Dubai was better post 1.4 and Spa seems a little better.

Ian Bell
20-06-2015, 18:44
I can 100% say that this is actually doing nothing.. I tried this, didn't help and in fact I've just upgraded my Ps4 HD so I've done a clean install of the entire OS only today, and Project Cars still screen tears - the patch 1.4 helped but overall lets face it, its still got work to do if we have any hope of a racing game that doesn't tear.

Brands Hatch around the 2nd corner is still no better then it was pre patch 1.4 TBH. Azure Coast and Azure Circuit I can't play as the shifting of the screen makes my eyes hurt. And California highway is no better, but did notice Dubai was better post 1.4 and Spa seems a little better.

Agreed, there's still work to do and we are on it.

There's more to come soon.

pioneer1985
20-06-2015, 19:02

Spot on assessment iv-tecman. Patch 1.4 definitely a noticeable improvement in some areas which now gives me a bit more hope that we will see more improvements when 1.5 comes around and things look promising with Ian's reply.

iv-tecman
20-06-2015, 19:36

And that is the type of response I like to read... Fantastic news. 1.4 patch has made improvements in areas, but if there is more to come I'll take it thank you very much : -) I'll enjoy racing around Dubai now until more performance patches reach us..

For what it's worth, Silverstone, zolder , imola etc display great performance so get azure, brands and cadwell etc working same as the others then haooy days. Happy days indeed..

novcze
21-06-2015, 17:52

Great to hear ...

btw. did you notice?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32297-Project-Cars-Digital-Foundry-fps-tests-(patch-v1-04)

C6ckneyGeezer
21-06-2015, 18:25
I always rebuild the database on my PS4 after each game install tbh! I see slight slow down in places, nothing game breaking. Never really noticed any tearing tbh. Using a 40" LED samsung if that makes a difference?

bjosim
22-06-2015, 11:17
^^^Thank You for Your honesty. I know that must have been hard. :)