PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans 24hr race, engine keeps blowing.

hamoun76
15-06-2015, 18:04
Hi. I'm in my second season of career and have got an invitation for the 24hr Le Mans race (with the gold accolade). I've set the race length to 2 hours. Now, no matter which LMP1 car I pick (haven't tried LMP2 or other classes) my engine always blows in the first 20 minutes and always on the long straight. I don't know if it's relevant or not but according to the digital readout on my wheel, my water temp. reaches about 130 and I think that's too much, right? I once joined an online lobby with the same track and different LMP1 car and in the 3rd lap of qualifying my engine blew again. Oh, and also I have driven numerous times on nordschliefe with my Z4 GT3 and one time, in the first lap of qualifying my engine blew in the long straight before the end of the lap.Also, there was 1 track in kart one with a long straight (sorry I don't remember the name) that if I didn't take my foot off the gas, the engine would blow in the 2nd or 3rd lap. I use a X360 controller with sensitivity settings that I got here in the forums. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I can't finish the Le Mans race this way. (and sorry if my English is bad)

tino852
15-06-2015, 18:32
If you are using the RWD30 LMP1 you should open the radiator to 100% and reduce wastegate pressure to around 2.40 . If you can do some lift and coast before the chicanes. In terms of Karts you have to reduce throttle on straights so you don hit the limiter. On the GT3 cars just open the radiator to 100% and it should hold out.

TakMan
15-06-2015, 18:41
Thanks for the heads-up Tino..

I decided to re-live some of the excitement of watching Le Mans, entering into a 'quick race weekend' with a RUF GT3.

15 minutes of practice followed by 15 of qualifying. 5 laps into 20, the engine would blow - did it three times on the trot.... Tried short shifting, lifting off the accelerator a bit on the straights as was hitting the limiter, and just trying to drive better/smoother... but to no avail - gave up finally, putting it down to bad luck, poor skills and still using a pad!

Will try your suggestions next time plus lengthen the sixth year a tad....

Damian

LordDRIFT
15-06-2015, 19:04
I'm having this issue driving the 911 street car in the 25h Bathurst even. As soon as it hits 130c it blows. I try to short shift and coast down the mountain but not pushing the car only get me passed caught, passed and dropped fairly quickly. Radiator opening isn't adjustable. Something's not right.

PJ Dunham
16-06-2015, 07:47
3 main reasons I found for blown engines in Enduro races, 1 and most commin is hitting anyone or anything with front end even a slight touch seems to do damage and make temps rise and blow motor over time so protect your nose and if you do tap another car pit next couple of laps to avoid blow up, 2nd gear taller in top gear so your just short of redline in draft, 3rd as mentioned above drive like an enduro not a sprint so coast a little on brakes before slaming down the box, baby the car.. when I did Lemans 24hr real time my race pace after I built a gap in first stint was 8 to 10 secs off my pole time just to look after the car as before id had engine blows 4 hours in and that sucked but looking after car being patient with lapping cars worked fine also keep in mind the AI always seem to short stop hence stop more over longer races so over 24 hours I think it worked out I stoped 8 times less than second place ( LMP1 ) and that = 8 min lead without even trying, using the in car dash you can work out how to hyper mile and sneek out an extra lap per stint also during the night. :) so don't stress about pace you lap cars way quicker than AI stop later and look after car and even AI on 100% is easy win

Stephen Baysted
16-06-2015, 08:21
Good advice above from P J Dunham. Open the radiators, don't damage the car, don't bounce off the limiter all the time and turn down turbo. And definitely get into the endurance mentality.

AngelBrow
16-06-2015, 12:34
Good advice above from P J Dunham. Open the radiators, don't damage the car, don't bounce off the limiter all the time and turn down turbo. And definitely get into the endurance mentality.

Endurance mentality?
You mean sprint race for 24h. Thats whats going on in real life.
Haha :) i know what you mean. Just pulling your leg.

I tried the 1% of le mans 24h. (2h). Damaged my headlights, never got fixed. Was racing with my eyes closed pretty much. Got disq. for leaving track limits too many times.

TakMan
16-06-2015, 18:35
Thanks chaps for the great advice - "must try harder" I think is the phrase!

I would add that trying not to damage the car, especially in the first quarter/third of a lap is especially difficult(!), have you seen the bottle necks at the beginning of a race(?), the AI can't help itself but smack into one another, side-scrape, shoot off track and generally act like it's some sort of one lap sprint. With their corner cutting and general dodgem car/kamikaze moves it is a lottery not to get caught up in the AI's own private scraps - "yes, you lunge from one side of the track and back again and don't mind me....!" At times it's like watching the worst excesses of online races, British Touring Cars and Senna/Prost in Japan all unfold in front of you - in a single lap!

Many I time I've found myself thinking "really... would this happen in a real life race?", especially so in something like GT3, endurance or even open wheel events. There often appears to be no account of 'self preservation' shown from the AI, they lock wheels and nudge each other where in real life that would court disaster, or a trip to The Clerk of The Course if not being attended to in the medical centre....

Perhaps I'll just stay right out of the way in future and take things more cautiously.... usually after half a lap, the itinerant AI settles down and then, when it does all come together, Project Cars is ruddy amazing!

Thanks again for the tips,

Damian

LordDRIFT
16-06-2015, 21:02
This doesn't make sense I many the car and I get passed. Why are we the only ones required to baby the car.

gpk99
16-06-2015, 23:21
no understand..no speeky eeeengleesh

JeeF
16-06-2015, 23:56
He's trying to say he doesn't like having to babysit the car, while the A.I. keep hitting each other (and the player car as well) and they don't seem to suffer from blowing engines/rising temperatures from contact.

Hey I'm no expert mechanic... but it's rather odd that the radiator breaks every single time we nudge another car. Is it made of Styrofoam?

LordDRIFT
17-06-2015, 01:54
Yep. My bad. This fucking swype function has a mind of its own. It used to be way more accurate years ago.

LordDRIFT
17-06-2015, 01:57
Yep. My bad. This fucking swype function has a mind of its own. It used to be way more accurate years ago. I've not had contact , granny shift and the Temps keep rising . I have to basically cruise to stabilize temps. It's a fucking race!

PJ Dunham
17-06-2015, 10:53
Hey I'm no expert mechanic... but it's rather odd that the radiator breaks every single time we nudge another car. Is it made of Styrofoam?

Completely agree but does seem to be the case, ive taken quite a few side hits with AI no issues but a slight tap in the front can , not always, but can do the damage if its a soft hit it took my car 5 laps at lemans to blow, other times in Enduro series ive had slightly harder hits and its gone in less time but then I noticed cars that had contact on first lap ( AI here ) were pitting and most of the time racing on so the next time I had a good front hit by two AI battling and I was impatient to pass both I pitted quick splash and every thing was ok, two hours later Mech fault popped up so I pitted again and kept going, so not too sure if "temp" fixes come into play in PCars but if so its kinda cool and keeps you alert. As for breaking headlights and them not being fixed ive done over 10 24/25hr races in various lenths and never broken them so I know its a Dev issue to get them fixed in pits my advise don't break them lol

hophans
17-06-2015, 12:10
I have been driving a fair amount of Le Mans in GT3 to LMP1 compared to other disciplines (im a dane and a HUGE Le Mans fan) and the first few test races i did, i experienced a good amount of engine damage the first period of time. After that i started running with full telemetry (on a external laptop) to monitor the car and do set-ups for De La Sarth (restrictor, gear-box etc.) until engine degradation was at a minimum. Now i always run with a 7" tablet with all the car info i don't get directly from the game and that helps me extensively to keep a healthy car for most races, and/or attend the pit if needed for tires, engine and body damage.