PDA

View Full Version : very impressive (pCARS's netcode}

sirsilver1968
15-06-2015, 21:04
Just wanted to say the netcode on pcars is in my eyes rock solid, I say this because my connection is very poor, my line is good quality but the distance to exchange means the best I can get is 1mb.

My point is despite my speed I am still able to play online with a good friend of mine who lives in Arizona and there is not a single hiccup or lag at all when we play so well done SMS, I've also had many an online session with no issues whatsoever.

The fact that I'm able to play online period with my connection is nothing short of miraculous in this day and age.

Umer Ahmad
15-06-2015, 21:07
^ I'm scared to Like your post. Trap?

MrFlibble81
15-06-2015, 21:17
Just wanted to say the netcode on pcars is in my eyes rock solid, I say this because my connection is very poor, my line is good quality but the distance to exchange means the best I can get is 1mb.

My point is despite my speed I am still able to play online with a good friend of mine who lives in Arizona and there is not a single hiccup or lag at all when we play so well done SMS, I've also had many an online session with no issues whatsoever.

The fact that I'm able to play online period with my connection is nothing short of miraculous in this day and age.

Actually yeah I feel the same way. I live in the middle of nowhere in South East Texas where me closest neighbors are the farmers cows and the field mice, so I have to rely on satellite internet which is really crappy and really slow yet I can still play online without any lag or anything so yeah. Good job SMS!!

Luke Townsend
15-06-2015, 21:21
Netcode is a weird thing. If it is good, no one (or almost no one) notices it. Or if they do notice they don't say anything. But if it is bad, all hell breaks loose and it's the end of civilisation as we know it. Got to say, I've never encountered a problem yet that I could put down to net code in Project Cars. So nice post OP, and hats off to the unsung guys who wrote the netcode.

Ian Bell
15-06-2015, 21:23
Netcode is a weird thing. If it is good, no one (or almost no one) notices it. Or if they do notice they don't say anything. But if it is bad, all hell breaks loose and it's the end of civilisation as we know it. Got to say, I've never encountered a problem yet that I could put down to net code in Project Cars. So nice post OP, and hats off to the unsung guys who wrote the netcode.

Thank you for this post.

Most have no idea how hard the network coders have worked to bring something usable to to the table.

They're on 16 hour days to fix any issues arising after we've went live. They get far too little credit for it.

Umer Ahmad
15-06-2015, 21:26
I race regulary with guys across the Atlantic. I run a pretty clean/basic PC+router+modem setup and never since like 2012 has anyone complained about my car.

And we're talking about milliseconds that could end the race, sometimes less than a meter between us. It's like we're on the same switch/router, hats off.

Knightfall
15-06-2015, 21:35
Thank you for this post.

Most have no idea how hard the network coders have worked to bring something usable to to the table.

They're on 16 hour days to fix any issues arising after we've went live. They get far too little credit for it.

On this note, at no time since buying the game have I seen anything that was a pcars network or latency issue. Fluid, no lag racing with buddies online.

Thank you.

Helmethead1031
15-06-2015, 22:06
Well damn. Guess I have to cross "lag" off my list of excuses when I accidentally crash into someone!;)

DoctorKajita
15-06-2015, 22:35
I have noticed the same thing. Kudos to the netcoders!

David Semperger
15-06-2015, 23:24
I must say I'm pretty impressed with the netcode as well. During development I stuck to solo time trials, but now after release I raced against people with around 100-150ms latency (I assumed that's what the number is below their name) and even like that I could have close shaves with confidence. I saw no warping or blinking cars so far. The worst I saw in online games were physics objects like cones behaving weirdly, like flying around seemingly randomly once they are hit, but that's hardly a gamebreaking issue.

sirsilver1968
16-06-2015, 19:38
One thing I don't like is when you get morons who saturate the whole lobby with distorted music, on the subject of muting I would love to see the option to mute the whole lobby in one click, it's not a major issue as most of the time I'm in private chat thankfully.

sirsilver1968
19-06-2015, 21:15
Fibre has just gone live on my street cabinet so I am upgrading my 900kb connection to an estimated 72-80mb connection, wow that means I can actually use more than one device at a time and it'll keep the wife happy on Netflix whilst I game :)

Tobias
19-06-2015, 23:53
I agree, netcode is abolutely brilliant. It was the main reason why I bought PCARS.

norbs
20-06-2015, 05:13
Another thumbs up from me. I can race Euros no problems from Australia. Great job.