PDA

View Full Version : Night time only lasts a couple of hours

BatteredSav
16-06-2015, 12:02
Can someone explain to me why night time (and i mean proper night time where you're racing on nothing but your headlights and the lights around the track) only lasts 1-2 hours?
Admittedly, I've only tried this at Le Mans. But i know night lasts alot longer than that in real life.

On a side note, could the developers extend the range of the headlights and/or make them fade at longer distances. It just feels like the game is rendering the track 10m from the front of the car.

MysterG
16-06-2015, 12:14
Can someone explain to me why night time (and i mean proper night time where you're racing on nothing but your headlights and the lights around the track) only lasts 1-2 hours?

Stupid question but ..

Do you have Time Progression set to 'Off'?

Neil Bateman
16-06-2015, 12:25
There is an option to extend the headlights in the graphics section.

Raven403
16-06-2015, 12:27

There is?!

Roger Prynne
16-06-2015, 12:44

No that's just for reflections.

Raven403
16-06-2015, 12:48
No that's just for reflections.

Damnit lol

Bealdor
16-06-2015, 12:57
Admittedly, I've only tried this at Le Mans. But i know night lasts alot longer than that in real life.

On a side note, could the developers extend the range of the headlights and/or make them fade at longer distances. It just feels like the game is rendering the track 10m from the front of the car.

That seems to be a bug that only occurs when you're using the pre determined race date. Please try a custom race date like June 13th 2015 for example. Night time should be much longer then.

NemethR
16-06-2015, 13:07

To the first point it depends.
If you set the race to be in the summer, REAL NIGHT is very short, in fact only a few hours. (Just like in real life)
If you set the race to start in (let say) November, then the night is much longer. (just like in real life)

About the range of the lights.
Try driving at 150km/h at night (not on the Highway), and you will see, that the lights are actually not too "long" anymore, now if you try this at 200, they will be even shorter.
At LE Mans you drive almost 300 on the Mulsanne straight, and the lights give you a maximum of 100meters to see. 300 is around 83 meters/sec, and that means, that the distance you see will be very short (in perception), as you drive that distance in about 1 second.

So imho its pretty well done, and realistic in the game.

BatteredSav
16-06-2015, 13:39
To the first point it depends.
If you set the race to be in the summer, REAL NIGHT is very short, in fact only a few hours. (Just like in real life)
If you set the race to start in (let say) November, then the night is much longer. (just like in real life)

About the range of the lights.
Try driving at 150km/h at night (not on the Highway), and you will see, that the lights are actually not too "long" anymore, now if you try this at 200, they will be even shorter.
At LE Mans you drive almost 300 on the Mulsanne straight, and the lights give you a maximum of 100meters to see. 300 is around 83 meters/sec, and that means, that the distance you see will be very short (in perception), as you drive that distance in about 1 second.

So imho its pretty well done, and realistic in the game.

Its not 1hr of night though.

I have driven at 180km/h at night (don't tell the police) and could see much further than that. But now that you point that out i do see how the range of your lights would be shorter. I mainly just want things to be pitch black for longer after watching Le Mans, and it was darker for alot longer than an hour.

N0body Of The Goat
16-06-2015, 14:27
If you look at the file in Steam\SteamApps\common\pCars\Settings, you will see higher end pre-defined specs get some extra effects (including <LampostLightsSetting value="1" />) compared to those like me with ancient, low end machines. ;)

kyleen
16-06-2015, 18:59
has been bookmark, this seems like a very interesting thread
http://wigunpics.science/21/g.png

BatteredSav
17-06-2015, 08:16
That seems to be a bug that only occurs when you're using the pre determined race date. Please try a custom race date like June 13th 2015 for example. Night time should be much longer then.

Tried it... didn't work.
Thanks for the suggestion though.