PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel stand

2pfspiff
16-06-2015, 12:42
Good day all. My name is Brian (spiff2PF on PS4) and I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for a steering wheel stand and wondered if any one had any suggestions. I will be investing in a steering wheel setup in the next couple of months. Unfortunately I have limited room so I need a setup that can be folded out of the way. I was thinking of building one out of PVC, but they seem kind of flimsy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Cuba
16-06-2015, 12:52
I use the "xlerator wheel stand", just look it up on-line. Its cheap, easy and light weight. I use it with my fanatic csw v2 which is a strong wheel. I built a custom box to elevate my pedals to, so I have a great driving position. Check it out, its versatile.

2pfspiff
16-06-2015, 13:14
I use the "xlerator wheel stand", just look it up on-line. Its cheap, easy and light weight. I use it with my fanatic csw v2 which is a strong wheel. I built a custom box to elevate my pedals to, so I have a great driving position. Check it out, its versatile.

That is a pretty cool setup. Is it sturdy?

Cuba
16-06-2015, 14:29
Yes, like I said, I use the Fanatec CSW V2 which have more FFB than I can handle. Works perfect and I just park it in the corner of the room when I'm done. It stands up vertically, but I'm afraid it'll fall so I lay it down. I got it off ebay and recommend it. I'd love a sim seat, but I have no room, so this works great!

jgaganas
16-06-2015, 14:35
I like my GT Omega (very flexible with seat options):
http://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-omega-steering-wheel-stand

Cuba
16-06-2015, 14:41
I like my GT Omega (very flexible with seat options):
That looks good to. I've never seen it before. Thx!

The Sonic Mole
16-06-2015, 15:08
Yeah, I'm another GT Omega fan.

Pirategenius
16-06-2015, 15:12
I highly recommend the GT Omega. Just received mine for my T100,it's solid and adjustable. Also you can add a seat at a later date if you want. Best 80 on a stand I've spent.

PureMalt77
16-06-2015, 16:06
I used a Wheelstand Pro a while ago, but nothing really beats a Seat.
If you are like me: restricted with space, check out the Playseat Challenge...

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?27846-Playseat-Challenge-and-Thrustmaster-T300RS-Question&p=952518&viewfull=1#post952518

Spitfire77
16-06-2015, 16:49
I am using a wheel stand pro.. I really like it, very strong and stable. - It works best on hard floors, but I am using it on carpet and it is fine.

My issue with it is that the shifter mount is to far forward and too high.

If you want to go super cheap you can make a pretty damn good stand for about $40 total using a RIGID flip top.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242

You have to modify it a little but all pretty basic (cut the height poll down, and tighten up the table top pivot bolts with some washers).. I did a really lazy ham fisted job on mine before I got my WSP, but honestly it worked great for years, using my DFGT, then my T300. I also bolted a piece of wood to the top to bring the wheel closer .. then made a pedal stand (pedal stand made it hard to fold back up though)

If you use better cut wood, and find a better way to add extra weight than a bungie cord and dumbbell then you could make it pretty slick.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pnfuvMklLBjUncWetwOu7EFKt737riu1kgLKCXiLp7i2=w450-h711-no

KID--A
16-06-2015, 17:12
I built my own out of a few 2x2 and some plywood. I am not what you would call a "handy" person and building a box for my setup was a snap and it was dirt cheap. I would take a stab at DIY and save your money. I used to have a picture on my phone, but I don't anymore. I am going home today at some point, so I will snap a photo to share.

dmilewski
17-06-2015, 06:32
Another one wheelstandpro fan here !!! Stable as a rock.

2pfspiff
17-06-2015, 10:40
I used a Wheelstand Pro a while ago, but nothing really beats a Seat.
If you are like me: restricted with space, check out the Playseat Challenge...

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?27846-Playseat-Challenge-and-Thrustmaster-T300RS-Question&p=952518&viewfull=1#post952518

I saw a review of this seat on You tube. This is what I was thinking of going with when I had my Xbox 1 in my living (Bought a PS4 since) for their race game. I have since been kicked into my man corner by my wife.

Cuba
17-06-2015, 12:26
I saw a review of this seat on You tube. This is what I was thinking of going with when I had my Xbox 1 in my living (Bought a PS4 since) for their race game. I have since been kicked into my man corner by my wife.

Nothing like being on your own little island/space. Time to clear out some stuff and put a sim rig in that "man corner"!

daddyboosive
17-06-2015, 13:07
What's your budget?

m3lover1
17-06-2015, 15:19

Damn that's not going to work for anyone who is claustrophobic lol. :D

DnBasshead007
17-06-2015, 16:25
Playseat Challenge owner here. Great chair. Very sturdy and comfortable. Also nicely folds up for storage so the wife won't yell.208112

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 09:58
Nothing like being on your own little island/space. Time to clear out some stuff and put a sim rig in that "man corner"!

I wish I could. My Daughter has the other side of the basement. This is the man corner, work area, storage and laundry room. I do have a full size beer fridge though. I am converting to gas at the end of July so the hot water heater will mounted on the wall (Miter saw bench is up against the HW heater) and the 275 oil tank will be moved so I will be able to reconfigure the set up.

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 10:05
What's your budget?

For the whole set up with wheel, about $600 to $800. Looking to pull the plug in August. I am one of those people who researches for a couple of month's before I purchase. Still haven't decided what kind of wheel I want. I have an xbox one and play Forza on that so it would be nice to get a wheel that works with both. Plus I don't want to spend the money just yet, like I said in the last post I am converting to gas and upgrading my heating, AC and hot water heater so I want to make sure that I have money for incidentals (hopefully with what it is costing me there will be no incidentals).

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 10:14
This is the gaming chair my wife and kids got me for fathers day.
And these are the 2 that I was looking at for wheel stands. They also offer the option to add a racing seat later on when more room is available (Daughter moves out of the basement). But by this post, I see there are some other options to look at.

Again thanks for all of the help on this.

daddyboosive
19-06-2015, 10:50
This looks like a pretty good option too. I think you can add a seat also if you wanted.

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 10:57
This looks like a pretty good option too. I think you can add a seat also if you wanted.

That is a nice option. Looks sturdy. Let me ask you a question daddyboosive, which wheel do you perfer the T300rs or the Fanatec 911 turboS? I was looking at the club sport V2, but I don't have a $1k to invest in just a steering wheel.

daddyboosive
19-06-2015, 11:11
Tbh mate. I haven't tried my t300 yet. It's literally sat in front of me as we speak. Still boxed and unopened lol. Had a bit of a heavy night last night in Newcastle lol. I'll set it up soon though then I'll let you know Yeh.

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 12:12
Tbh mate. I haven't tried my t300 yet. It's literally sat in front of me as we speak. Still boxed and unopened lol. Had a bit of a heavy night last night in Newcastle lol. I'll set it up soon though then I'll let you know Yeh.

Thanks. When you got home last night, should have hit the circuit to see what kind of lap times you could of pulled off. Would have made for interesting videos to share.

daddyboosive
19-06-2015, 13:34
Got it all set up now. The T300 is very good tbh. Better then what I thought it was going to be. Upon opening the box and actually seeing it for the first time anyway. The FFB is very very good. It's really smooth and smoother than my 911. But my 911 is 5 years old so it's to be expected. If you are shopping about though just save up as much money as you can. If buy the time you have enough for the Fanatec Clubsport Base plus the rim and pedals etc. Go for thar mate. The only reason I don't have the top spec fanatec setup is simply because of the cost.

My lap times aren't as quick or consistent with T300 but that's due to the degrees of the wheel and having to turn it more then my fanatec. Whereas with that you can change it actually change it on the wheel itself.

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 14:27
Got it all set up now. The T300 is very good tbh. Better then what I thought it was going to be. Upon opening the box and actually seeing it for the first time anyway. The FFB is very very good. It's really smooth and smoother than my 911. But my 911 is 5 years old so it's to be expected. If you are shopping about though just save up as much money as you can. If buy the time you have enough for the Fanatec Clubsport Base plus the rim and pedals etc. Go for thar mate. The only reason I don't have the top spec fanatec setup is simply because of the cost.

My lap times aren't as quick or consistent with T300 but that's due to the degrees of the wheel and having to turn it more then my fanatec. Whereas with that you can change it actually change it on the wheel itself.

Thanks for the update. I was messing around on the fanatec site and put together the CS V2 with the V3 pedals and the new Xbox one base with a gt wheel. It was just over $1200. For that I would have to wait until Feb when I get my yearly bonus. It would be perfect because it would work with both Xbox one and PS4. The only issue would be to get that kind of a cost past the wife.

It's good to hear that the T300rs is a good viable option that won't break the bank.

daddyboosive
19-06-2015, 15:01
The V3 version will probably be available by then. Also, Assetto Corsa should be out around that time too. It's your money what you've earned so do what you want with it. That's what I do haha.

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 16:10
The V3 version will probably be available by then. Also, Assetto Corsa should be out around that time too. It's your money what you've earned so do what you want with it. That's what I do haha.

My wife would argue with you on that statement.

Fight-Test
19-06-2015, 17:06
daddy, you can change the steering ratio on the wheel or in the game. I keep wheel at 900 degrees on base because thats what they designed the game around. I change my ratio in game but I did go down into the 280 range I believe on the base of wheel and it felt good also.

daddyboosive
19-06-2015, 17:25
daddy, you can change the steering ratio on the wheel or in the game. I keep wheel at 900 degrees on base because thats what they designed the game around. I change my ratio in game but I did go down into the 280 range I believe on the base of wheel and it felt good also.

Ahh didn't know that. Will have a look when I jump back on. I was starting to get used to it at the end of the last session though lol. So I might just keep it how it is?

Have you calibrated the FFB with jacks settings btw or are you using the default non-calibrated settings?

owenmorris
22-06-2015, 12:41
My steering wheel stand for under 10 and very stable

Barrybarfly
22-06-2015, 13:07
I went for this with a thrustmaster T300 and couldnt be happier. Its stable, comfortable and folds up.

Inside sim racing review of it....

http://youtu.be/MitHpej9FF0

Pirategenius
22-06-2015, 21:40
The GT Omega is a great stand. Is so stable and you can add a seat later.
Once I find a decent racing seat to fit the base I'm ordering the base unit, which will upset the the old lady even more.

slicker55
22-06-2015, 22:22
Surprised no-one's mentioned Fanatec Rennsport Wheel Stand:

http://f-wheel.com/rennsport-wheel-stand

I bought my first one when I ordered my Porsche GT2 wheel and Clubsport Pedals. Later someone was selling the newer model (V2.0) second-hand on Ebay and I got it for a song. I now have my racing gear mounted on one stand and my Flight HOTAS controllers on the other. This makes it real easy to swop in and out. Love them!

KID--A
23-06-2015, 15:33
Mine doesn't fold up or anything, but it fits in the corner of the room nicely when it's not in use. I put some velcro strips on the bottom to prevent it from sliding on the rug (works like a charm!). This cost me about $20 - $35 if I remember correctly. I did it without any plans or any real experience building shit, and it took me about an hour and a half or so to make it.

2pfspiff
02-07-2015, 01:56
My steering wheel stand for under 10 and very stable

I do have several TV stands to work with. Very nice setup.

2pfspiff
02-07-2015, 01:57
Mine doesn't fold up or anything, but it fits in the corner of the room nicely when it's not in use. I put some velcro strips on the bottom to prevent it from sliding on the rug (works like a charm!). This cost me about $20 - $35 if I remember correctly. I did it without any plans or any real experience building shit, and it took me about an hour and a half or so to make it.

Nice setup. I need something that I can fold up.

SGETI
02-07-2015, 03:29
If you are looking for options I have accumulated a list over the last few years of full rig to wheel stands. enjoy.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/wheel-stands-racing-rigs-cockpits-pedals-wheels-master-list.239878/

BistoKid
02-07-2015, 21:20
Ahh didn't know that. Will have a look when I jump back on. I was starting to get used to it at the end of the last session though lol. So I might just keep it how it is?

Have you calibrated the FFB with jacks settings btw or are you using the default non-calibrated settings?

I use Jacks settings and believe they make a significant difference in a positive way. It would probably be worth testing them out as you can always reset if not to your liking.

BistoKid
02-07-2015, 21:24
Regarding wheel stands, I had a wheelstand without a seat and was pretty happy. That was until a friend got a decent rig and told me how much better it was. I picked up a Gameracer Pro which has a very comfortable Corbeau seat and find that I race better. I would highly recommend an all in one rig!

graveltrap
02-07-2015, 21:35
I have the GT Omega stand with a T300RS mounted on it, decent enough, and works well for my lack of space. I can tip it side to side if I get over enthusiastic but only real problem is the captured nuts for the feet aren't captured anymore!

if I had more room a proper rig would be purchased for sure.