PDA

View Full Version : Sparkles on track.

Pirategenius
16-06-2015, 19:48
Since 1.4 update on PS4 I've started to notice what appears to be broken glass sparkling all over each track. The worse track I've seen it on is snetteron, especially on the start/finish straight, around the right handed hairpin before the back straight and the long right hander before the last corner.

It's becoming really off putting while racing.

Pcars
16-06-2015, 19:51
Since 1.4 update on PS4 I've started to notice what appears to be broken glass sparkling all over each track. The worse track I've seen it on is snetteron, especially on the start/finish straight, around the right handed hairpin before the back straight and the long right hander before the last corner. It's becoming really off putting while racing.

Noticed this from day dot, was going to put a thread up but didn't know how to describe it.

madmax2069
16-06-2015, 20:03
Its been reported numerous times on all platforms. It has been happening from launch, to 1.3 to 1.4.

There is also the ninja photographers as well.

Pirategenius
16-06-2015, 20:06
I know about the ninjas. But never seen this before

madmax2069
16-06-2015, 20:21

Here is a report about the issue on xbox http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23786-Shiny-Marbles-(was-Broken-glass!)&highlight=glass+track

And here with the PC version (people in this report are confusing it with the ninja photographer bug) http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29649-Flashing-lights-with-msaa-high&highlight=flashes the work around on this platform is changing the anti aliasing setting.

And there was another report on PS4 (cant find it due to it being posted in along another post and not in its own thread/topic).

Theres a few more reports of the issue around as well.

Pcars
20-06-2015, 12:41
Is this being looked into or is it not an issue?

iv-tecman
20-06-2015, 18:40
Its an issue at Brands Hatch, it looks like GPU artifacts, like when a PC GPU is running too hot and you get speckles of white or something... Its very noticable and I noticed it from day one, but I'd hoped by now it would be fixed, but no just had a go around brands hatch, same issue. It seems worse in cloudy conditions ...

Ian Bell
20-06-2015, 18:41
Since 1.4 update on PS4 I've started to notice what appears to be broken glass sparkling all over each track. The worse track I've seen it on is snetteron, especially on the start/finish straight, around the right handed hairpin before the back straight and the long right hander before the last corner.

It's becoming really off putting while racing.

Can you provide images please?

Flaw3dGenius
20-06-2015, 18:50
It does look like Flash bulbs going off on the track, Could never work out what it was or supposed to be.

Ian Bell
20-06-2015, 18:53
It does look like Flash bulbs going off on the track, Could never work out what it was or supposed to be.

We do have camera flashes going off on start finish straights particularly. It's 'fans taking pictures'.

We also have full flashes with lightning of course.

I'm assuming though what you're talking about it none of the above. Hence the request for pictures.

madmax2069
20-06-2015, 18:54

Exactly, it almost looks like the ninja photographers somehow went under the track

Flaw3dGenius
20-06-2015, 19:01
Exactly, it almost looks like the ninja photographers somehow went under the track

I see the Xbox people posted this screen...

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=201904&d=1431466478&thumb=1

Which is totally different from the issue on PS4, On PS4 it's always seems to be on the Horizon or under the track like you say if your coming up to a hill. Also just a single white bit/flash rather than a few like that.

chase66down
20-06-2015, 19:19
Noticed it at brands ps4 between hairpin (corner2) and corner 3. I would like to describe it as pixie dust not a big issue really:rolleyes:

tigerpaw11
20-06-2015, 19:28
I've seen it too. Could it has something to do with what camera/light effects you have in use. I think i have flare, vignetting, and everything else set to on, maybe you guys have it also?

madmax2069
20-06-2015, 19:34
I've seen it too. Could it has something to do with what camera/light effects you have in use. I think i have flare, vignetting, and everything else set to on, maybe you guys have it also?

I dont have vignette on, but everything else on.

Yeah it seems like the camrea flashes not going off where they should be (in a crowd), and going off on the track.

flymar
20-06-2015, 19:43
There are:
* photo flashes
* reflection flashes (when Bloom is used)
* MSAA flashes (at least on PC)
* broken glass (not enough black material for marbles)

mister dog
20-06-2015, 20:01
We do have camera flashes going off on start finish straights particularly. It's 'fans taking pictures'.

We also have full flashes with lightning of course.

I'm assuming though what you're talking about it none of the above. Hence the request for pictures.
It's definitely linked to enabling AA. After i activated MSAA i started to have it each time. Always noticeable in the horizon on straights, like diamonds sparkling in the sun. I could try to shoot another crappy video on my phone but i don't know if it appears in replays. In any case have someone with just MSAA enabled run a few laps and you will spot it very fast.

Pirategenius
20-06-2015, 22:05
Ian I will provide video when I'm home.

Linus27
20-06-2015, 23:07
I have noticed this on the PC from the start. I just put it down to the tarmac glistening and didn't think any more about it.

MLT24
21-06-2015, 04:12
Seen it since day one. Off in distance on long straights. Just figured it was meant to be that way. Like maybe in real racing on bright days.

Cholton82
21-06-2015, 07:36
I've seen it on PS4 but as others have said I didn't think much of it as I thought it was just a shimmering effect of the Tarmac and marbles . FYI I have all effects on apart from vignette and lens flare .

Fanatest
22-06-2015, 14:08
This is happening a lot on spa for me, it's on the long straight after eau rouge

Settings are:
Spa
Medium cloud
06:00

Watch the distance as you drive along the straight. You get apx 3 flashes... Then further down the track, you get more. But this can be recreated here every tine for those who needed details.

Pirategenius
22-06-2015, 16:39
The sparkles on track that are not ninja photographers seem to disappear if you set the Temporal level to 0.

I have only tested on the snetteron 200 track at all times of daylight and from clear to overcast, and have not seen it happen again. I will continue to test other tracks.

Just tested at spa with the same settings as fanatest and noticed no flashes apart from a few ninja photographers before the 1st and last chicanes.

And same at brands hatch no sparkles. Only problem there was just really bad drawing of shadows when your on top of them in the scenery.

mister dog
22-06-2015, 16:43
The sparkles on track that are not ninja photographers seem to disappear if you set the Temporal level to 0.

I have only tested on the snetteron 200 track at all times of daylight and from clear to overcast, and have not seen it happen again. I will continue to test other tracks.

Where can i find that option? Graphics settings?

Pirategenius
22-06-2015, 16:48
It's in visual fx settings

mister dog
22-06-2015, 16:49
It's in visual fx settings

Cheers i'll give it a go as i have sparkling diamonds on all the straights haha. Any side effects of turning that slider to 0?

Pirategenius
22-06-2015, 16:53
None that I've noticed, runs perfectly smooth on ps4 with full field of cars.

madmax2069
22-06-2015, 17:21
Cheers i'll give it a go as i have sparkling diamonds on all the straights haha. Any side effects of turning that slider to 0?

From what I've seen from around the net is that when you increase the temporal AA slider it increases the ghosting and lowers the motion blur, lower it and it will lower the ghosting side effect but increase the motion blur, reduce it to 0 will result in a few less frames per second, if the setting would allow ypu to make 1 point changes it would be best to turn down the slider to 1.

Fanatest
22-06-2015, 17:36

I run with the TXAA disabled (slider at 0) so reducing it won't stop the flashing (running at 0 this gives me the best image quality for my taste) However it still have the flashes:

Video of the settings above:
https://vid.me/zKsf

Edit:
I have a few of them...
Here's 1 more with more to follow... https://vid.me/CbiS

I have another video in here somewhere with 3 flashes on the same straight, I'll pop it up after tea ;)

The slider does indeed remove the double image/ghosting but there appears to be debate on if 0 is better than 1 (1 giving more FPS according to DF and higher MSAA when at 0 according to "arm chair experts) :)

I personally run it at 0 as I find it gives me the best image.

Speaking of SPA!
I previously posted that The AI at BH would drive you into a wall! Well guess what :D

That crazy AI is at it again:
https://vid.me/1IAO

Pirategenius
22-06-2015, 17:56
Those are camera flashes.

The effect looked like bits of glass on the track reflecting sunlight which is now removed.

spa had that pit exit issue before 1.4. Thought it was fixed as it didn't happen when I tested.

Fanatest
22-06-2015, 17:58
Those are camera flashes.

The effect looked like bits of glass on the track reflecting sunlight which is now removed.

spa had that pit exit issue before 1.4. Thought it was fixed as it didn't happen when I tested.

No unfortunately they arnt camera flashes (maybe "Ninja Flashes") as you can see there are NO body's/humans/cameras etc present in those locations as I drive up to the wall in the second video posted ;)

Edit:
I can post another 7 videos of this phenomenon happening at other stages where NO spectators are present if thatll help ;)

Pirategenius
22-06-2015, 18:10
They are the ninja photographers.

Fanatest
22-06-2015, 18:16
They are the ninja photographers.

I know... It's a known issue that not everyone has "seen" before (including you)

hence the post ;)

Pirategenius
24-06-2015, 18:34
They are back.
It appears to be a funny reflection of light on the marbles. It only appears when its overcast and in a race/qualifying and at no other time.

mister dog
25-06-2015, 08:21
They are back.
It appears to be a funny reflection of light on the marbles. It only appears when its overcast and in a race/qualifying and at no other time.
With me it happens all the time also in sunny conditions. It just happens at the end of straights mostly (the back straight at Spa is a good example). Like i said i think it's triggered by enabling AA, if i remember correctly i didn't have this before when AA was disabled.

Erwin Berkers
25-06-2015, 08:49
Dear all,

In rendering this phenomena has various names: outliers, fireflies, etc. I deal with them regularly as part of my ray tracing work, and it may be we will see this more often with the introduction of Physically Based Rendering in games,

The problem is a wrong and out of range light measurement at a point that is often mitigated by increasing sampling that will even the high value out. The effect is further strengthened by glare filters (without the glare it would be a near invisible white dot). The best solution in code is filtering the outliers using a denoise filter before applying the glare filter, but these filters are computationally expensive.

The effect is actually good described in this thread by experiencing "flashes", since the effect it comparable to looking into a very tiny sun! I also noticed this from day one, I guess the developers are aware of this. There is nothing wrong with your GPU.

As an example, consider the following image, although it is a contrived example. The shot on the left side uses a neighbour filter, the right side without.