PDA

View Full Version : It was really kind of beautiful...

Dominic Mako
17-06-2015, 01:11
I was getting ready for a long race in the 1981 BMW M1 Procar at Brno, which was a track I wasn't familiar with at all. After the 15 minute practice session, it became one of my favorites. Like a roller coaster, the turns swing and sway as the straights quickly rise and fall. At the tail end of the qualifying the light was fading, and after the race started I had to turn on my headlights. I submit to you that nothing can be more pleasingly 80s than pop-up headlights As the lap counter rose the sun was sinking down the front straight, all along while the roar of my engine sang it a sweet lullaby. I grew steadily weary at the wheel and didn't notice the clouds had been swept away for the stars to dot the black sky. It was really kind of beautiful. I was victorious under that brilliant evening canopy, and in my head heard the applause welcome me back to where it all began.

http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/16/84/26/28/procar10.jpg

PeoplesChampion
17-06-2015, 01:20
Good stuff..

Umer Ahmad
17-06-2015, 01:48
"80s pop-up headlights" aka "air brakes" :)

Schnizz58
17-06-2015, 03:03
"80s pop-up headlights" aka "air brakes" :)
That was the shit back then. I had an '82 Supra with popups.

nissan4ever
17-06-2015, 06:00
Both my 1986 Nissan 200SX & 1989 Nissan Pulsar NX have pop up headlights. I love that style from the 80's.

TenthDan
17-06-2015, 06:05
Had an '83 RX7 with pop-ups. Ah memories.

jgaganas
17-06-2015, 06:41
Catched myself "popping" them up 3-4 times per race... boys-toys ;)

And Brno has such a nice flow... lap after lap after lap.

Stag
17-06-2015, 08:30
Nice wording man. Who are you JP Donleavy ?

John Hargreaves
17-06-2015, 09:41
I was getting ready for a long race in the 1981 BMW M1 Procar at Brno, which was a track I wasn't familiar with at all. After the 15 minute practice session, it became one of my favorites. Like a roller coaster, the turns swing and sway as the straights quickly rise and fall. At the tail end of the qualifying the light was fading, and after the race started I had to turn on my headlights. I submit to you that nothing can be more pleasingly 80s than pop-up headlights As the lap counter rose the sun was sinking down the front straight, all along while the roar of my engine sang it a sweet lullaby. I grew steadily weary at the wheel and didn't notice the clouds had been swept away for the stars to dot the black sky. It was really kind of beautiful. I was victorious under that brilliant evening canopy, and in my head heard the applause welcome me back to where it all began.

http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/16/84/26/28/procar10.jpg

I had a similar moment once with that very car and track. It was one of those times when the car just felt perfect, almost like I was controlling it with my mind, it just went exactly where I wanted it, as if the car knew what to do. That track is great for curves actually, some really nice up and down bits too. On this occasion I was having so much fun, I just stayed out driving, the sun was setting and then suddenly the car just ground to a halt and stopped. It was then I realised that I had run out of petrol on track, I'd been having so much fun I'd not even thought of how much gas I had. Great stuff.

Stag
17-06-2015, 10:09
Can't bear to think of the only car I had with pop ups NSX which I stupidly sold after damaging slightly. Best car I'm ever likely to own by a million miles.
Could do with one on proc I think forza has it but maybe that's the later one

TAGS Battfink
17-06-2015, 11:31
I will most defo be trying this car/track out tonight, sounds like you guys are loving it.

I get the same experience from.the capri around spa, in the rain, its deadly but magic ;)

Dominic Mako
17-06-2015, 17:12
Funny that airbrakes were mentioned. Pop-up headlights were dropped partly because even when closed they created drag, obviously slowing the car down. Besides that, they had a bad habit of not functioning when the hydraulics eventually went bad. Essentially, they had a 100% fail rate. I wonder what the last sports car was to use them. I know the Corvette dropped them pretty late.

The BMW M1 is fun to drive, but after spending so much time in the FG1000 I really missed the MoTec. I have the Xbone hooked up through my stereo, and the car almost literally rumbles my entire basement. It's spectacular.