PDA

View Full Version : AI braking zones too easy

Bouyo
17-06-2015, 02:51
Before post I just want to say again how much I love this game, wonderful stuff.

Now I'm a glutten for punishment because last time I complained about the AI difficulty it was because standing starts were way too easy and it doesn't seem to have changed in 1.4. Now I'm curious about AI performance in corners;

Why is it that I'm always so so much faster than the AI in Acque Minerali at Imola? It's too easy to scoop up a whole second each lap. Also why am I always streets ahead when taking turn 5 at Laguna Seca? It's such a sure thing that I can take turn 5 faster that I don't have to worry about racing hard.

These are just two example, of which there are many, they just happen to be on my favorite tracks. I don't mind the pace of the AI, although they could be faster, it's just the inconsistency they display in taking some corners brutally fast yet others pathetically slow. I'd understand if there was a danger involved, or something to do with hairpin performance vs flat-out sections, but the corners I mentioned are just generic corners. Anyone have any thoughts?

davekojo
17-06-2015, 05:54
I think its for people like me.

I'm fast in some corners and have woeful lines in others. It averages out and so I can overtake AI but also have to defend/get overtaken in others. For us not so skilled it makes the game fun. Maybe you can give me pointers to go faster through all the corners.

Voxen
17-06-2015, 06:45
Same in LeMans, the AI is slow as hell in the last curve that leads to pit entrance, I can get 1 or 2 secs from them just in this corner alone.

Bouyo
17-06-2015, 16:14
I think its for people like me.

I'm fast in some corners and have woeful lines in others. It averages out and so I can overtake AI but also have to defend/get overtaken in others. For us not so skilled it makes the game fun. Maybe you can give me pointers to go faster through all the corners.

I fully appreciate this and can understand why it's good sometimes for players, however if the AI is set to 100 then surely they should be able to take all corners quickly. What would be great is if they were fast through all corners but made mistakes in them from time to time. At the moment they don't make mistakes and are regularly really fast through lots of corners but suck at a handful. This it's realistic at all.

In terms of going fast through corners, you need to learn each and ever corner. Find out what gear feels fastest, how late you can brake and in what direction to enter. Entry is all important because the exit will follow naturally, not the other way around. Also race against AI at 100 and remember where they're faster than you, then ask why: is there a hidden positive camber somewhere? Are they in a different gear? Are they just lifting rather than changing down? Can they use the camber on track to get on the power earlier? And on and on ... Case in point is the corkscrew at Laguna Seca; hit it on the left and you're moving through treacle, come in from the right and carry your speed then you'll go through like a dart. The AI are ok at that actually, but exiting Tamburello at Imola you can get on the power minutes before they ever do ....

jsyedidia
17-06-2015, 16:33
My guess is that because there are a few tens of thousands of different car-corner combinations to code over all possible AI skill levels, it's hard to get them all right. I agree that it's certainly not perfect and would like it to be improved, but considering the scale of the problem, I think they've done a pretty good job. When I set the AI to be at about my level, I know that there are certain corners or straights where I will be faster, and others where I will be slower, even though we are supposedly in identical cars. But it's not the end of the world; it just means I need to defend in certain places and attack in others. It is similar in real racing where the cars are actually all different; for example Andretti in the Lotus 78 was much faster in high-speed corners but slower on straights than the other cars he was racing against.

Bouyo
17-06-2015, 16:47
My guess is that because there are a few tens of thousands of different car-corner combinations to code over all possible AI skill levels, it's hard to get them all right. I agree that it's certainly not perfect and would like it to be improved, but considering the scale of the problem, I think they've done a pretty good job. When I set the AI to be at about my level, I know that there are certain corners or straights where I will be faster, and others where I will be slower, even though we are supposedly in identical cars. But it's not the end of the world; it just means I need to defend in certain places and attack in others. It is similar in real racing where the cars are actually all different; for example Andretti in the Lotus 78 was much faster in high-speed corners but slower on straights than the other cars he was racing against.

I agree with what you're saying about different cars entirely, but this issue is that it doesn't matter which cars we're talking about: there are certain corners where the AI is slow, regardless of what car or AI setting you use / are racing against. That's the issue in a nut shell.