PDA

View Full Version : Mad Catz Wheel Issue Since 1.4 Update

FAHound
17-06-2015, 13:35
I have just installed the 1.4 update and reset the Mad Catz wheel and I also reset the wheel settings in-game. When I go to calibrate the wheel it no longer seems to recognise the 270 degree setting. During the first part of calibration the wheel keeps on turning for a long time to get to 100 %. Which I suppose is the 900 degree setting?

I have performed several hard resets on Xbone and the wheel and flicked the degree switch back and forth, on the back of the wheel during power off.

Am I missing something?

If it is just the 900 degree option available - is there a percentage for the 1st part of calibration and a degree for the second part of the calibration that would enable me to use the wheel as a 270 degree workaround?

Any help would be appreciated.....

TheLastRezort
17-06-2015, 13:41
Well, I just keep my TX wheel at 900 degrees and adjust the steering sensitivity and stuff

TAGS Battfink
17-06-2015, 13:45
Do you have forza 5 or horizon 2? If so have you tried the 270 setting on either to make sure the wheel is ok?

I gave up with madcatz, loved the wheel, amazing design, but after sending two faulty ones back, i went for the tx. Shame.

It is a little strange though that this game, with its amazing amount of options doesnt have a degree slider in game

FAHound
17-06-2015, 13:53
Do you have forza 5 or horizon 2? If so have you tried the 270 setting on either to make sure the wheel is ok?

I gave up with madcatz, loved the wheel, amazing design, but after sending two faulty ones back, i went for the tx. Shame.

It is a little strange though that this game, with its amazing amount of options doesnt have a degree slider in game

Yeah, I have both. I am very happy with the wheel, no problems.

The wheel is fine and has been working on the 270 degree setting with PCars with no problem - right up until the 1.4 update. Which leaves me thinking that maybe the 270 degree option was removed/forgotten in this update.

Tillj
17-06-2015, 14:50
Yeah, I have both. I am very happy with the wheel, no problems.

The wheel is fine and has been working on the 270 degree setting with PCars with no problem - right up until the 1.4 update. Which leaves me thinking that maybe the 270 degree option was removed/forgotten in this update.

Yeah I had it set up from 270 degree in both Forza and PCars, although I haven't downloaded the 1.4 update as im at work. Infact it will be downloading it as you read this message as I have it on instant on mode.
So is there an option in PCars to say if the car has lets say 360 rotation it only lets you turn 360 degree but another car might have 900 it will let you?

FAHound
17-06-2015, 15:05
Yeah I had it set up from 270 degree in both Forza and PCars, although I haven't downloaded the 1.4 update as im at work. Infact it will be downloading it as you read this message as I have it on instant on mode.
So is there an option in PCars to say if the car has lets say 360 rotation it only lets you turn 360 degree but another car might have 900 it will let you?

It would be nice to know that it's not just me :)

I think you're asking the same question as me? I managed a workaround - Set the degree of calibration (Step 1), to 28. Then the 2nd part should line up to 270 degrees. After the initial reset you will need to lower the FFB to about 65 again or grow big muscles.

FAHound
17-06-2015, 19:27
Any other Mad Catz Wheel users getting the same problem?

Moss2076
17-06-2015, 19:45
Yeah I have a Mad Catz wheel on the Xbox One and after update 1.4 the wheel seems awful. The rotation of the wheel is now ridiculous, to the point of the game being MORE unplayable than before. For example, half way around the Zolda circuit is a right-left chicane, take it in 2nd or 1st gear. Since the update to 1.4 it is virtually impossible to steer around the chicane without basically destroying the wheel. At least since I've been racing with the update installed that is how that chicane has become. The amount of rotation required to move the car (Lotus 78) coupled with the force feedback makes it so difficult it's is virtually impossible to play. Not impressed.

Moss2076
17-06-2015, 20:02
Think I may have fixed the issue I was having. I didn't reset the wheel BEFORE re-calibrating. Now it seems spot on. Will try the chicane again in a mo.

FAHound
17-06-2015, 20:02
Yeah I have a Mad Catz wheel on the Xbox One and after update 1.4 the wheel seems awful. The rotation of the wheel is now ridiculous, to the point of the game being MORE unplayable than before. For example, half way around the Zolda circuit is a right-left chicane, take it in 2nd or 1st gear. Since the update to 1.4 it is virtually impossible to steer around the chicane without basically destroying the wheel. At least since I've been racing with the update installed that is how that chicane has become. The amount of rotation required to move the car (Lotus 78) coupled with the force feedback makes it so difficult it's is virtually impossible to play. Not impressed.

Thanks for that. At least I know it's the update and not my wheel, now.

Calibrate the wheel and lower the overall ffb as per my post earlier and it should be usable.

Moderators/SMS would someone please advise if this is being looked into?

Thanks

samsterbrfc
17-06-2015, 22:29
I've had the exact same problem and initially thought it was my wheel busting up for a 2nd time, but now reading I'm not the only one has kinda reassured me slightly but its still very much annoying.

KevinSuan
17-06-2015, 23:10
In my madcatz the ffb are very strong and move quickly left to right a few milimeters. Only in loading screen and menu. In game works good. But i think that is an issue since 1.4 patch.

Projectmanager
17-06-2015, 23:19
Hi,I agree with Kevin,I have not done anything with my madcatz wheel since starting this project cars,leave well alone if it works first time,mines perfect since day 1,not had any issues so no reason to download nothing,ime glad I didn't try any,I feel for these people that have problems,I only get one day a week on my xb1 so don't need issues,good luck

samsterbrfc
18-06-2015, 03:10
I don't know about anyone else but I haven't touched any settings at all since the patch and the wheel has been brilliant until I went into a my first race after updating.

I just want to ask though because usually at 270 degrees the wheel would Rotate up to a certain pointing but for me there's no stop in the rotation, it just feels like it's on constant 900 degree rotation so I was wondering if that's the same outcome for those who have the same problem.

FAHound
18-06-2015, 06:58
I don't know about anyone else but I haven't touched any settings at all since the patch and the wheel has been brilliant until I went into a my first race after updating.

I just want to ask though because usually at 270 degrees the wheel would Rotate up to a certain pointing but for me there's no stop in the rotation, it just feels like it's on constant 900 degree rotation so I was wondering if that's the same outcome for those who have the same problem.

Yes, that's the issue I have with my wheel. You can get it to work at 270 by using the workaround I posted earlier in this thread. I have since upped the ffb to 100 and lowered the tyre force to 65 and applied Jack Spade's settings. This will see you through to the next patch, but it doesn't fix the calibration issue, it just plasters it.

DMP14
18-06-2015, 07:03
Morning guys. Quick question, in what menu can I find the Tyre Force setting etc? I see a few of you have adjusted it but I can't find it anywhere. I'm sure it's obvious so please forgive my ignorance!
Many thanks
DMP14

James Boulton
18-06-2015, 08:32
Thanks for the feedback on the MadCatz wheel guys. Out of interest, what's the issue with using the wheel in 900 degree mode? I don't understand why you would buy a wheel with 900 degrees of freedom and then use only 30% of the range. Using the Madcatz wheel I have always used it in 900 degree mode.

I'll add it to the list though, as if that's how you like it, then that's your choice. :)

o Mike V o
18-06-2015, 08:37
Personally, I prefer 270 because I can be more precise with less movement. I haven't tried my mad catz wheel with the new patch though because I sent it away for a repair :nonchalance:

James Boulton
18-06-2015, 08:41
Morning guys. Quick question, in what menu can I find the Tyre Force setting etc? I see a few of you have adjusted it but I can't find it anywhere. I'm sure it's obvious so please forgive my ignorance!
Many thanks
DMP14

Controls menu, ffb settings.

FAHound
18-06-2015, 09:37
Thanks for the feedback on the MadCatz wheel guys. Out of interest, what's the issue with using the wheel in 900 degree mode? I don't understand why you would buy a wheel with 900 degrees of freedom and then use only 30% of the range. Using the Madcatz wheel I have always used it in 900 degree mode.

I'll add it to the list though, as if that's how you like it, then that's your choice. :)

Hi James, Thanks for the reply and also for adding it to the list.

Do you use manual or automatic gears? I use manual and trying to get around tight bends at low speeds, and change gear, can be very tricky if the wheel turns more than 90 degrees. I race a lot of FA and how the game shows the hands on the wheel is how I play. When the wheel turns more than 90 degrees, I have to remove my hands from the 'thumb in' position on the wheel to perform the turn, which I find unnatural on a gt wheel using the paddles as gears. Also, it feels more precise and is quicker to race with IMO. That's about it, for me anyways.

Is there a setting you use to get around this and keep the turns within 90 degrees? Or do you just prefer the 900 degree looser feel?

FAHound
18-06-2015, 09:40
Personally, I prefer 270 because I can be more precise with less movement. I haven't tried my mad catz wheel with the new patch though because I sent it away for a repair :nonchalance:

I agree. What was wrong with your wheel?

CLOWN KAOSZ
18-06-2015, 09:53
I had 2 Madcatz wheels both of them for about a week or so. Unfortunatly they both have had so much issues that Madcatz itself said to me to return it to the retailer because nothing about tweaking with settings would help.
This also means a problem I read about a page back, the 270/900degrees setting.

I told Madcatz that I had the problem of switching my wheel to the 270degrees setting (via the switch on the back) but it didn't work correctly anymore. It still was 900degrees although it was in de 270 setting. Everything I tried ingame bij resetting and tweaking settings etc. didn't help and I had the latest firmware update for the wheel.
If this make sense to you and you're having the same issue I recommend to contact Madcatz itself and question them what's the best thing to do.

FAHound
18-06-2015, 10:28
I had 2 Madcatz wheels both of them for about a week or so. Unfortunatly they both have had so much issues that Madcatz itself said to me to return it to the retailer because nothing about tweaking with settings would help.
This also means a problem I read about a page back, the 270/900degrees setting.

I told Madcatz that I had the problem of switching my wheel to the 270degrees setting (via the switch on the back) but it didn't work correctly anymore. It still was 900degrees although it was in de 270 setting. Everything I tried ingame bij resetting and tweaking settings etc. didn't help and I had the latest firmware update for the wheel.
If this make sense to you and you're having the same issue I recommend to contact Madcatz itself and question them what's the best thing to do.

This is the same issue 270/900 but I feel it has a software cause this time and not a hardware fault. As the wheel still works fine with both Forza games on the 270 setting, and that James has confirmed that a fix is on the list, I'd say it would be best not to bother Mad Catz support with this issue on this occasion.

Shame the wheel didn't work out for you, I have been really impressed with mine.

Stag
18-06-2015, 10:39
Im using mad catz and have had zero problems and prefer it to my other wheel. Only the 3/4 size us a downer. I only have used it on 900 though and didn't update the wheel as I'd been told to wait and it was ok anyway.
Since the patch it is fantastic I use 100 ffb and have upped tyre force to 65 was at 50.
I did find the calibration a bit confusing when I first played oroc and that took a few times. But was probably me.
Hooe you get it sorted I know how you feel I went through 3 thrust tx before I got the cat

CLOWN KAOSZ
18-06-2015, 10:42
This is the same issue 270/900 but I feel it has a software cause this time and not a hardware fault. As the wheel still works fine with both Forza games on the 270 setting, and that James has confirmed that a fix is on the list, I'd say it would be best not to bother Mad Catz support with this issue on this occasion.

Shame the wheel didn't work out for you, I have been really impressed with mine.

Some times you win and sometimes you lose :).
I agree with you that in your matter it's probably better to wait untill there's a fix. It's a shame indeed because I liked the wheel very much, the styling of it and also the feeling. Unfortunatly it wasn't ment to be :).

I'm now using the TX and since patch 1.4 and the new FFB-feel I'm falling in love all over again ;)

CLOWN KAOSZ
18-06-2015, 10:44
Im using mad catz and have had zero problems and prefer it to my other wheel. Only the 3/4 size us a downer. I only have used it on 900 though and didn't update the wheel as I'd been told to wait and it was ok anyway.
Since the patch it is fantastic I use 100 ffb and have upped tyre force to 65 was at 50.
I did find the calibration a bit confusing when I first played oroc and that took a few times. But was probably me.
Hooe you get it sorted I know how you feel I went through 3 thrust tx before I got the cat

Did you had problems with 3 Thrust TX's? What were the problems?

Stag
18-06-2015, 10:54
Strange burning smell x2 and one dead as a dodo. All inside a month. It was when they first came out though. But when they worked for a couple days I didn't think they were in the same league as the catz,very plastic and dreadful pedals
I'm surprised you prefer it on 270 though I thought that was a bit arcade. Although like I said didn't use 270 on mine.

Stag
18-06-2015, 10:56
I see you upgraded the wheel so the plastic wheel doesn't apply and I know you can get better pedals. Just means you are spending near fanatec money then.

CLOWN KAOSZ
18-06-2015, 11:02
I indeed got the upgrade and the different add ons. I also know there are better pedals, the T3PA or the pro version but there not available yet in the Netherlands. They couldn't tell me when they will be available but I hope ASAP.
I like the feel of the FFB more then the Madcatz, a bit smoother and I agree with you that the pedals of the Madcatz are better but I'm already used to it and waiting for the T3PA.

Are there Fanatec wheels etc. for the Xbox1? I believe the TX and the Madcatz are the only 2...but correct me if I'm wrong.

FAHound
18-06-2015, 11:06

3 TX's wow! That must have been really frustrating.

I chose the Mad Catz because of the reliability and the amazing adjustability. It took a short time to get used to the notchy feel (I started on a Spider), but once I concentrated on the race, and not the wheel, it all started making sense and I no longer notice it at all. The update to the ffb is a great improvement. Turning is harder (more ffb)', at speed and when breaking and it doesn't rip your arm off when skidding into a wall.

The build quality is excellent and it lead to me buying the GT Omega Stand and add on seat, which I highly recommend.

James Boulton
18-06-2015, 11:11
The 270 degree mode switch not working after patch 1.4 is a software issue, it will be rectified. You should get the same effect by calibrating your wheel with only 270 degrees of movement in the calibration screen I believe?

FAHound
18-06-2015, 11:29
Strange burning smell x2 and one dead as a dodo. All inside a month. It was when they first came out though. But when they worked for a couple days I didn't think they were in the same league as the catz,very plastic and dreadful pedals
I'm surprised you prefer it on 270 though I thought that was a bit arcade. Although like I said didn't use 270 on mine.

It's interesting that both yourself and James prefer the 900 setting. Perhaps it's more suited to a particular set of cars than another? Do you mainly drive the GT or Road cars?

FAHound
18-06-2015, 12:01
I've just tried both GT and FA cars after recalibrating and switching the Mad Catz wheel to 900. Works like a dream, a slightly looser feel but I think I'll stick with it.

I think the issue may have been having the wheel set to 270 and the update not recognising the 270 option. Which made turning very strange. Now that the wheel is set and calibrated to 900 it is very similar to the 270 setting I had previously.

So, I'm happy ��. James and Stag - thank you very much, I wouldn't have bothered trying if it wasn't for your comments.

JC WRC
18-06-2015, 12:49

I to now have the same issue of no 270 degree rotation and over hyped force feedback after update 1.4 with my Mad Catz pro wheel.

I think like many others that you need to change your testing program of these patches to include all supported controller devices in all of their programmable settings as your blatantly not doing it. You Messed up the xbox one controller settings (THE PRIMARY CONTROLLER DEVICE FOR THE CONSOLE) on launch so I decided to get a wheel, (I wanted one that worked on xbox one anyway. this just gave me an excuse.) Now you updated the controller settings again and now I'm forced again to do yet another work around.

What ever happened to the days when a game was released and just worked?????

I would also like to point out that myself and many others use the 270 rotation to be precise just like many other actual racing drivers and teams.

This simulator is primarily made up of racing cars... most of which, if not all are NOT equipped with 900 degree rotation so why would we be inclined to use it???
Now the road cars... YES, However there are not that many of them in this simulator.

So finally, my question to you James Boulton. When can we expect to have this issue resolved???

James Boulton
18-06-2015, 13:23
You'll find hostile language will do precisely the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.

(Btw, if you configure the wheel to 900 degrees, every car has its own steering lock set correctly)

JC WRC
18-06-2015, 13:28
Update 1.4 Mad Catz Pro Racing wheel work around for 270 degree rotation.

Go to wheel calibration in the CONTROLS section of OPTIONS & HELP.

Calbration part 1: turn the wheel until you reach 31

Calibration part 2: turn the wheel until you reach 270 degrees on the steering lock.

Now your set to race again like you where before.

Menu wheel shaking is something we are stuck with till they fix it.

JC WRC
18-06-2015, 13:31
You'll find hostile language will do precisely the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.

(Btw, if you configure the wheel to 900 degrees, every car has its own steering lock set correctly)

I'm NOT angry.... just disappointed.

PzR Slim
18-06-2015, 13:34
I to now have the same issue of no 270 degree rotation and over hyped force feedback after update 1.4 with my Mad Catz pro wheel.

I think like many others that you need to change your testing program of these patches to include all supported controller devices in all of their programmable settings as your blatantly not doing it. You Messed up the xbox one controller settings (THE PRIMARY CONTROLLER DEVICE FOR THE CONSOLE) on launch so I decided to get a wheel, (I wanted one that worked on xbox one anyway. this just gave me an excuse.) Now you updated the controller settings again and now I'm forced again to do yet another work around.

What ever happened to the days when a game was released and just worked?????

I would also like to point out that myself and many others use the 270 rotation to be precise just like many other actual racing drivers and teams.

This simulator is primarily made up of racing cars... most of which, if not all are NOT equipped with 900 degree rotation so why would we be inclined to use it???
Now the road cars... YES, However there are not that many of them in this simulator.

So finally, my question to you James Boulton. When can we expect to have this issue resolved???

Surely if you are all about the realism you want it to be as close to the real world as possible, yes? Well if that's the case set your wheel to it's maximum rotation and let the games own lock settings set the correct rotation for you. But then again looking at your posts I'm sure you know better than anyone ;)

JC WRC
18-06-2015, 14:58
At which point did I say I personally wanted realism??? what I said was in response to James's question earlier on in the thread. Why would we be inclined to use 900 degree rotation when most of the racing series in this simulator don't use it.

what I want is a consistent precise wheel rotation across the board that I feel comfortable using.

now as for your remark... obviously I don't know better than everyone. far from it. What I do know is this game has issues, lots of them.

I'm not attacking this game or its makers in any way. I love this game with all of its short comings as I expected to see some as its brand new.

but now the point of this thread it being missed... SMS,WMD & Namco created a whole new issue for us by not thoroughly testing the patch before it was released. People like me who use the 270 lock on the mad catz pro wheel no longer have the option to use it (I provided a work around for that earlier on). We also have quite a violent wheel wobble on the menu which obviously will cause additional wear on our force feedback motors. So I will ask the question again when will the issue be fixed?

James Boulton
18-06-2015, 15:28
Have you reset your wheel settings with Y on the controls screen? The strength of the menu centering spring was set per wheel to be pretty weak in 1.4 to stop this kind of issue.

Btw, the point of this thread was to bring an issue to our attention, not to attribute blame. We do our best to ensure things are correct, however mistakes do happen. We always try and react with speed to rectify any problems. I appreciate your frustrations, however a general tone of hostility will not help here.

JC WRC
18-06-2015, 16:15
Have you reset your wheel settings with Y on the controls screen? The strength of the menu centering spring was set per wheel to be pretty weak in 1.4 to stop this kind of issue.

Thanks for that James. You just restored my faith. Resetting the wheel solved the issue of the wheel wobble in the menu. With my work around of 31 on the first calibration and 270 degrees on the second calibration everything seems to be back to how I had it before patch 1.4.

Might be ideal to create a new thread and sticky it explaining to reset our wheels before we start playing.

Again thanks for your help in resolving the issue.

James Boulton
18-06-2015, 16:26
I believe its in the release notes for the patch. Any further changes to wheel or controller settings will be forced so we don't get these issues again. The reason it was optional this time was not to overwrite peoples tuned settings for a wheel unless they wanted to, as this would have cause annoyance (but in a different way).

FAHound
18-06-2015, 17:42
Thanks for that James. You just restored my faith. Resetting the wheel solved the issue of the wheel wobble in the menu. With my work around of 31 on the first calibration and 270 degrees on the second calibration everything seems to be back to how I had it before patch 1.4.

Might be ideal to create a new thread and sticky it explaining to reset our wheels before we start playing.

Again thanks for your help in resolving the issue.

Actually JC everything you have stated, and everything James has advised you, had already been talked about in the thread. If you had taken the time to read the thread, you would see that the workaround had already been sorted and the advice to reset your wheel had been posted.

You came in with a very aggressive post and turned our nice chat into something akin to pick.on James week. Throwing your weight about like a sulky schoolboy until someone in authority noticed you. And then you marginally changed my workaround and reposted it as your own.

My opinion of your opinions is very low and I'll be ignoring any posts you make, chummy.

KevinSuan
18-06-2015, 18:44
Is a shit dont understand all that people say, because im spanish, 38 years old and i dont stude english since 1995. I think that in this forum are many post very interestings about settings, tunnings and more things. I aprecciate very much the SMS and developers work.
Are any studio that you can talk in a forum with developers of the game to explain your problems? Think in it! Thanks for your attention.
Ok. I understood that my problem that the steering wheel are very strong and rumble in the menus is because i dont restore the settings of my madcatz. Its ok? I stay at work but when i go to home i make this.
Sorry but its very difficult to me think in spanish and write in english... hahahahahaha