PDA

View Full Version : So about that Wii U version of Project CARS....

Robbo-92
17-06-2015, 16:54
Hello everyone, now all the major announcements at E3 are done and dusted I felt it was the right time to make a new topic relating to the Wii U version of Project CARS because as Ian has said previously they (SMS) were hoping for a hardware announcement at E3 which obviously didn't transpire before deciding what to do about the Wii U version of Project CARS.

So what will be happening with the Wii U version of Project CARS? Will you decide to simply cancel it and await news from Nintendo about the next Nintendo home console and release it for that (Nintendo said they will talk about the 'NX' in 2016, presumably at E3, but as I'm always keen to remind people the NX could well be Nintendo's next portable console, home console or the highly rumoured fusion console) or will you refocus back on the Wii U version to try and achieve 720p/30fps?

I was wondering actually what downgrades would be need to be made to the game to actually achieve 720p/30fps. Ian said that it was the SETA tyre model that is taking up a lot of the resources of the triple core CPU (using 2 cores alone on the other console versions and I presume PC as well) so what would Wii U owners be missing out on should you decide to go back to the previous tyre model (Brush or something like that I believe) or would it be more beneficial if you kept the physic models and cut the AI numbers down (online and offline) or could changes made to the weather system help ease the load on the CPU/GPU? I dare say (and would kind of hope) such discussions have taken place already as to what would need to be cut/downgraded to get the game running at 720p/30fps.

I'm obviously not expecting a yes or no answer right now as I dare say you are all deliberating about the future of the game on Wii U (but from what Ian has previously posted it sounds like the series has a future on Nintendo home consoles) and I appreciate the fact that you don't want a sub par version of the game out there (which I fully understand) but would like an answer at some point in the near future as to help me decide whether to wait and get this on Wii U or get it for PS4 as the more I see the more I want it but I would obviously prefer to wait for the Wii U version which I've been anticipating since it was announced :)

I appreciate I'm probably a bit too eager in making this thread with all the major conferences at E3 only having finished and the event still running till Friday but no time like the present :)

Umer Ahmad
17-06-2015, 17:06
90% no WiiU version, machine too weak it seems. Use forum search u will find information

Someone can link here?

Robbo-92
17-06-2015, 17:09
90% no WiiU version, machine too weak it seems. Use forum search u will find information

Someone can link here?

Whenever I actually try and search for something I just get a no results page though?

I've said this before, until the Wii U version is officially cancelled by SMS I will keep that version as my first version, if it gets cancelled fair enough, I'll just get it on the PS4 :)

Diablo944
17-06-2015, 17:26
Not being funny, but why would you want a hamstrung version of the game rather than going the ps4 route? In some ways the console owners are playing catchup to the pc, but as consoles give a more balanced playing field, (if it runs on one ps4 it should run on all of them), its an option that keeps things simple. I have been on the pc bandwagon, years of upgrades to keep up, but the ps removes that need for upgrade wars.

Personally, i hope they leave the wii u edition in its cage until either nintendo get their act together and give users more power, or until the game is fully stable and virtually bug free on other platforms.

Cutting the game down more to fit the wii u sounds like a bad plan, more likely to make people feel they are getting a second rate game than what you would actually want.

Thats not a ps4 owner lording it over the wii u and its lack of project cars, just a thought that in many ways no game would be better than a sub standard game. I am sure if the guys at sms feel that the wii u is still an option, they will shout it out loud and clear. As one of those who waited an eternity for duke nukem back in the day, sometimes its better to just not live in hope and just see what comes.

Robbo-92
17-06-2015, 17:39
Not being funny, but why would you want a hamstrung version of the game rather than going the ps4 route? In some ways the console owners are playing catchup to the pc, but as consoles give a more balanced playing field, (if it runs on one ps4 it should run on all of them), its an option that keeps things simple. I have been on the pc bandwagon, years of upgrades to keep up, but the ps removes that need for upgrade wars.

Personally, i hope they leave the wii u edition in its cage until either nintendo get their act together and give users more power, or until the game is fully stable and virtually bug free on other platforms.

Cutting the game down more to fit the wii u sounds like a bad plan, more likely to make people feel they are getting a second rate game than what you would actually want.

Thats not a ps4 owner lording it over the wii u and its lack of project cars, just a thought that in many ways no game would be better than a sub standard game. I am sure if the guys at sms feel that the wii u is still an option, they will shout it out loud and clear. As one of those who waited an eternity for duke nukem back in the day, sometimes its better to just not live in hope and just see what comes.

I want to get it for Wii U so developers know releasing a game for Nintendo platforms isn't a terrible idea and destined to be a failure, I know in the grand scheme of things one sale won't help but it won't do any harm either :)

As for the game I obviously don't want to see it downgraded (as I presume SMS don't want to either) but was just asking what changes would need to be made to get the game onto the console.

EHM
17-06-2015, 17:49
Most likely: 30fps cap, fairly low resolution, massively scaled down graphical effects, many assets from environments removed, and who knows maybe even grid sizes and physics scaled down.

That's just a guess though. Like has been said above, eventually the castration of these things would make it a completely different game.

Probably enjoy the game 10x more running on PS4, I never expected this to be released on any of the older consoles, just not enough power.

Robbo-92
17-06-2015, 17:54
Most likely: 30fps cap, fairly low resolution, massively scaled down graphical effects, many assets from environments removed, and who knows maybe even grid sizes and physics scaled down.

Already planned to be capped at 720p/30fps but currently at 23fps which is the issue, from what I've read that is with all physic models (and I believe dynamic weather) seen in the other versions. I was just asking the team what would maybe have to be done to the game to get it on Wii U, obviously I don't want to see it downgraded past 720p/30fps or have any physic's models cut as SMS wouldn't want to downgrade it in such ways either as that would be a lesser version of the game which SMS certainly don't want. I dare say many Wii U fans would be ok if most assets from the environment were cut and smaller grid sizes.

Wolfe
17-06-2015, 18:12
I was wondering how long it would be before this topic came up. Good on you for keeping the conversation alive, Robbo-92, and courteously as always. :encouragement:

With respect to Ian and SMS, Nintendo fans would like to hear a final decision, once it's made.

Not being funny, but why would you want a hamstrung version of the game rather than going the ps4 route?
The Wii U version appeals to me for its free multiplayer and the option for off-TV play, as well as the potential for pit commands and extra toggles on the touchscreen, or a Motec-style display without an external app/device. The Wii U is also my only console, because the PS4 and XBone lack games that appeal to me.

I would buy PCARS on Steam, but I don't know how soon I'll upgrade to hardware that could handle the game any better than the Wii U could. I don't bother keeping up with high-end stuff on PC, and I prefer to play on a console over the headaches of PC gaming.

Personally, i hope they leave the wii u edition in its cage until...the game is fully stable and virtually bug free on other platforms.
I agree with this.

Robbo-92
17-06-2015, 18:18
Good to see you are sticking around as well Wolfe :)

I'll agree with you that having free online play is a huge bonus as I imagine I will play a lot of this game online :) I understand where you are coming from relating to extra functions on the gamepad such as a Motec display as that would be amazing, in reality the real reason I want this for Wii U is 1.) to show third party devs that games can succeed on Nintendo platforms, with so many jumping ship I want to support the few that are left :) 2.) While there is a PS4 in the house it isn't mine and gets used very frequently by its owner and for a game like Project CARS I could see myself putting days into it so having it on my console would be hugely beneficial, hence why the PS4 version is a back up for me :)

Wolfe
17-06-2015, 18:22
And even if you had to share the same TV (though it sounds like you don't), the Wii U has got you covered. :p

Robbo-92
17-06-2015, 18:28
And even if you had to share the same TV (though it sounds like you don't), the Wii U has got you covered. :p

Exactly :)

St3fan
17-06-2015, 20:05
For me, PC+Wii U is a perfect combo for gaming!
The major reason I preordered Pcars was that they said it would be on Wii U and I wanted to show my support for their idea. but now...

Robbo-92
17-06-2015, 20:11
For me, PC+Wii U is a perfect combo for gaming!
The major reason I preordered Pcars was that they said it would be on Wii U and I wanted to show my support for their idea. but now...

I imagine it does make a formidable combination in the current era of gaming where in reality one console simply cannot cut it anymore. I'm still holding out hope for the Wii U version to be released eventually, my hope is that once a decision has been made by SMS that they firstly let us know and if its good news then they keep us up to date with how the Wii U version is coming along up until release and then (in an ideal world) support it post release with DLC that will be coming to the other versions.

OrenIshii BE
18-06-2015, 06:50
I'm not against a Wii U version, but I don't think there's a big enough market for it.

If you look at it, they basicly need to rewrite the entire game,
stripping down graphical effects, resolution 'n stuff.
Not to mention their SETA tire model is to heavy for the hardware??
Wouldn't that mean reworking the physics engine completely.

IMHO, with the work they would have and the market the'd appeal to, this Wii U version won't be very cost efficient!
Honestly, how many people thought about buying pCars on the nintendo console? on here about a good dozen? roughly a couple thousand worldwide?

But if SMS think it can be done, by all means, why not ;)

Robbo-92
18-06-2015, 17:09
I feel there would have actually been a big enough market for it, had it released alongside the other versions in early May but I fear that ship has now sailed. I still think it could sell very well though, the racing simulation is a genre that has never been properly represented on a Nintendo console (the closest that comes to mind is the Ferrari Challenge game that came out for Wii but I never played it so can't really comment) so all Nintendo fans who fancy a proper racing game would naturally buy it if they didn't have access to another console.

SMS shouldn't need to rewrite the entire game, as far as September 2014 SMS were praising the Wii U version with Andy Tudor mentioning how well it stands up against the other versions (saying how he recently tried a race in rain and how much fun it was), I obviously have no idea what changed between September 2014 and a few months ago but I'll guess we will never know.

I'd actually be very interested as to what the differences are between SETA and the older tyre model (Brush?) to see if downgrading to an older model would have that bigger impact on the experience. Afterall the SETA tyre model is meant to be the main issue facing the Wii U version of the game but having not backed the game I have no idea what the differences in tyre models are, can anyone shed any light on the main differences?

As for sales no one knows how well it could sell, the Wii U has an install base on 10 million which while not great isn't terrible and for a game which has an untapped market regarding the racing simulation genre. It could sell terribly or could sell fantastically. SMS took a similar (yet smaller) risk releasing the game on PS4 and Xbox One.

Ofuscor
18-06-2015, 18:56
As for sales no one knows how well it could sell, the Wii U has an install base on 10 million which while not great isn't terrible and for a game which has an untapped market regarding the racing simulation genre. It could sell terribly or could sell fantastically. SMS took a similar (yet smaller) risk releasing the game on PS4 and Xbox One.[/QUOTE]

I woulnīt say it is a similar risk, since the difference between the ps4 xbone and pc version is mostly graphical. The game is still running the same physics engine. The LOD and filters change but the game is in escence the same. For the wiiu they need to switch back to the older tires model, polish the model, iron out all the bugs. Basically the need to redevelop an important part of the game just to realease it in one console. The physics model is the heart of a racing game, it is no minor change. They also said they run out of things to optimize on the WiiU and that they expected to gain more performance out of those optimizations.

I think you are in denial trying to grab on to the positive things they said in the past while pushing aside/ignoring the bad things

LordDRIFT
18-06-2015, 19:02
Whenever I actually try and search for something I just get a no results page though?

I've said this before, until the Wii U version is officially cancelled by SMS I will keep that version as my first version, if it gets cancelled fair enough, I'll just get it on the PS4 :)

Are you searching via the Wii U? That might be it. You need PC, PS4, or XB1 to search. Search too powerful
http://adesivifacebook.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/lacrime-gioia.png

Robbo-92
18-06-2015, 19:19
I was saying the similar (yet smaller) risk was that as Project CARS is a real racing simulator releasing it on consoles was a slight risk to start with as they never really knew how well the console users would take to a true racing simulation game, thankfully they've taken to it very well :) I still think (from the sounds of it) if they returned to the older tyre model then the game would run fine as even with all the physics, weather the other versions have the Wii U version is still running at 720p/23fps. By my way of thinking if the SETA model was changed for the Brush model this may solve most of the issues relating to graphical performance (namely the fps as it is running at 720p which the Wii U version was always going to be capped at).

I still actually would like to see what the differences are between the SETA and Brush tyre models, I presume the version of the game that Andy Tudor was speaking about was probably referring to Project CARS running with the Brush model rather than the most recent SETA, hence why the Wii U version is now struggling. That's the only thing I can think of that would have changed between September 2014 and now but I have no idea when the SETA model was introduced so I'm just grabbing at bits of information and trying to read into it. If this is indeed correct then they will have (well should) a build of the Wii U version with Brush tyre model that runs well that will just need updating with cars and ironing out bugs.

To be honest if it is cancelled I wish they would just come out and say so rather than leaving Nintendo fans who are waiting for this game in limbo.

Robbo-92
18-06-2015, 19:22
Are you searching via the Wii U? That might be it. You need PC, PS4, or XB1 to search. Search too powerful
http://adesivifacebook.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/lacrime-gioia.png

funny..... frankly composing a decent length message on any console seems like a chore due to the control interface that wasn't meant for typing long messages, hence why I'm on the PC ;)

LordDRIFT
18-06-2015, 19:27
funny..... frankly composing a decent length message on any console seems like a chore due to the control interface that wasn't meant for typing long messages, hence why I'm on the PC ;)

If sony implemented a swipe to type function on that useless ds4 touch pad they would be on to something.

PS - I thought it was confirmed cancelled.

Robbo-92
18-06-2015, 19:31
If sony implemented a swipe to type function on that useless ds4 touch pad they would be on to something.

PS - I thought it was confirmed cancelled.

I've not heard anything that it's been confirmed as cancelled, last I heard it was on life support! :p

Ofuscor
19-06-2015, 16:37
I remember Ian Bell saying something about it being on an indefinite hold and that they were waiting for the next nintendo console. There was a very large thread about the WiiU version a few weeks back. I think the development stoped when they couldnīt optimize the game anymore because the SETA model was too heavy for the console.

If there is no new nintendo hardware I think you can consider it cancelled. You know, I have been searching the forums to give you this answer and I found out that you been replying on those. If you read back on those threads I think it is implied the WiiU version is not going anywhere soon. I speak spanish as my native language and I was able to get that. I am taking the effort of trying to make my sentences as clear as posible. Yet you created another thread about the same issue. I feel a bit like an idiot now, wasting my time here with someone who will not understand.

Robbo-92
19-06-2015, 21:46
Thank you for your response, last official word I saw from Ian himself a few weeks back was that if Nintendo didn't show any new hardware they would give it a go as new hardware is most likely 2 years away (probably Christmas 2017 at earliest). I do understand why you feel like you're trying to communicate with someone who (apparantly) does not understand but I just want clarification on the future of the Wii U version. As the SETA tyre model is the main issue I would still like to know what the differences are between SETA and Brush tyre models, no one who has answered to this thread has been able to give an answer.

You're doing well actually getting results from searching the forums, I get no results for some reason.

As for the game if it is cancelled then SMS should come out and say so and state their plans for the future of Project CARS on Nintendo platforms (eg, will it be a release game for the NX?), I just want confirmation on the Wii U version which has yet to be given, lots of possibly cancelled but no definitive answer.

If it's just cancelled at least let the few people waiting for the Wii U version know :)

TrevorAustin
19-06-2015, 23:01
You're searching for wii aren't you:) the forum software this is based on needs a minimum 4 character search word, if less it just doesn't bother searching, but doesntwgive an error. You can't search for amd either:)

Robbo-92
20-06-2015, 08:36
No I'm searching for Wii U actually! :) So that is 4 letters and I'm still getting no results :confused:

Edit, I've been leaving a space in-between Wii and U, if you search for 'WiiU' then you get the results! Still doesn't answer my query about the future of the Wii U version though ;)

Umer Ahmad
20-06-2015, 09:23
I just want clarification on the future of the Wii U version. As the SETA tyre model is the main issue I would still like to know what the differences are between SETA and Brush tyre models, no one who has answered to this thread has been able to give an answer.
You're asking them to discuss their VERY proprietary and innovative tyre model, in a public forum, where likely other competitors have accounts? Please walk up to the nearest Goldman Sachs office and kindly ask them to explain to you their proprietary trading models. Observe their reaction. Here are some notes (http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/inside-project-cars-seta-tire-model/#more-6739) about the SETA model at least that SMS has made public so far, you're not going to get much more than this honestly. It's the very heart of the physics part of the game, please understand and appreciate the sensitivity about that.

As for the game if it is cancelled then SMS should come out and say so and state their plans for the future of Project CARS on Nintendo platforms (eg, will it be a release game for the NX?), I just want confirmation on the Wii U version which has yet to be given, lots of possibly cancelled but no definitive answer.

If it's just cancelled at least let the few people waiting for the Wii U version know :)
I don't think a final decision has been made but again as in most "business situations" you're going to have to read-between-the-lines a bit. When Ian says the WiiU performance is "not there" and they are waiting for news about "NX" it's a strong indication that WiiU will not happen. When a FINAL decision has been made about WiiU we will all hear about it here. WHEN the decision has been made, not a minute prior to that.

Robbo-92
20-06-2015, 10:44
I'm not exactly asking for the engine code I'm just wondering what the main differences are between the two so should SMS release the Wii U version with the Brush model rather than the SETA I could have an idea of what to expect as opposed to the other versions. Cheers for the info on the SETA model though, not read that before and from reading that I can understand why the tyre model uses so much of the CPU.

I'm happy to wait for news about the Wii U version (just as well I suppose! :p) but really hope they don't keep Nintendo fans in the dark for too long :)

peacewalker0077
22-06-2015, 19:25
One vote here for the WiiU version, don't give up please!

Robbo-92
22-06-2015, 21:41
One vote here for the WiiU version, don't give up please!

Always glad to see another Wii U fan on here, we certainly seem to be in the minority! Guess by your username you're a fellow MGS fan?

Hopefully now they have started funding for Project CARS 2 (which despite the lack of Nintendo version I'm kind of tempted to back, no idea why as my PC certainly couldn't run it!) I hope we will soon have an answer as to whether the Wii U will get Project CARS or whether the NX will mark the start of the Project CARS series on Nintendo platforms with a release of Project CARS 2.

Bob_bob
23-06-2015, 02:44
i would a wiiu version but with the limit controller I would say no. No analog button, it's need for gas, brakes. Need for speed sucked because of the controller. Wax on wax off. Only sucks.....

Robbo-92
23-06-2015, 05:29
Yeah that is an issue but not impossible to work around (as no one is going to start supporting a wheel for the Wii U at this stage in the consoles life) as you can use the right analog stick for throttle/brake and left for turning. Not ideal but much better than digital triggers :) Or if they implement motion steering and it's good then you'll have two analog sticks for throttle and brake, then you can use the triggers for changing gears.

UMadBro
23-06-2015, 05:54
If some of you didn't know there was a user named Darth Praxis who built a gaming wheel just for the Wii U version of Project Cars, guess he got pretty frustrated. He's a awesome moderator at the Wii U forums.

Robbo-92
23-06-2015, 16:38
That wheel column did look pretty nifty as well! :)

NemethR
23-06-2015, 16:44

Get it for PC, and enjoy it.

Robbo-92
23-06-2015, 16:55
Get it for PC, and enjoy it.

I'm not going to spend hundreds of Ģ's on a new gaming PC. As I said in the post you have quoted I will wait for official cancellation of the Wii U version before buying it for the PS4, I don't doubt I'll enjoy it when I finally get round to playing it though! :)

Wolfe
24-06-2015, 15:13
As the weeks pass by, the game will be more stable/polished and viable PC hardware becomes more affordable. I'm comfortable being patient.

I'd still rather play on Wii U than PC.

Robbo-92
24-06-2015, 16:33
I'd rather play oy on Wii U over PS4 as well but I am glad to have the fallback of the PS4. Still doesn't take away the fact that a brand new gaming PC would set you back s few hundred quid.

I'll wait for the Wii U version thank you very much :)

Plato99
24-06-2015, 16:39
Nintendo said they can only allow it to be ported to Wii U if they allow the players to throw banana skins and bombs at the opposition.

Robbo-92
24-06-2015, 21:50
Ok so I know this could be seen as a little off topic but I believe it is relatable.

Splatoon (if none of you know what this is, it's Nintendo's take on the generic shooter, switching paint out for bullets and playing as human-squid hybrids, inklings) has just sold one million copies, in under a month (first available in Japan on the 28th of May) on the much criticised install base of 10 million. I believe this shows that games can sell well and quickly on Nintendo platforms if you give them a chance and make people aware of the games existence.

I'm not saying that Project CARS would sell 1 million but I wanted to post this to let people know how well games can sell on Nintendo platforms and this wasn't a game from a series, it was a brand new IP and it has still sold over a million copies in a month. I guess I'm just trying to say that sales wise the Wii U version of Project CARS could still sell fairly well (I know you won't run another advertising campaign for the Wii U version) if you decide to release it on the console so I hope you don't decide to give up on the Wii U version! :)

spinkick
24-06-2015, 23:43
I am wondering if more than 1000 people would buy this game on a wii-u.

spinkick
24-06-2015, 23:44
Nintendo said they can only allow it to be ported to Wii U if they allow the players to throw banana skins and bombs at the opposition.

Yes, and you have to stare lovingly at the banana

Robbo-92
25-06-2015, 00:15
I am wondering if more than 1000 people would buy this game on a wii-u.

Right....... So by your predictions only 0.0001% of the install base would buy the game?

Yes, and you have to stare lovingly at the banana

Being pedantic you do actually have to look out for bananas, they can ruin your race on 200cc.

Diablo944
25-06-2015, 00:37
Would it perhaps placate wii u owners if the guys at sms released a couple of new tracks and some cars for the platforms they already support in a dlc especially with wii u users in mind?

Chances are they will handle better than the ford mark 4 too.

stux
25-06-2015, 00:48
As much as we love Nintendo, you just gotta admit that sales of the Wii U have been extremely poor and the Wii U is extremely underpowered for an 8th gen console.

Pcars is already pushing the ps4 and xb1 to the limit.

Ian has said they were having serious issues even getting remotely close to a mediocre result (720p@23 is very far away from 720p30), and you can see that they were hoping for a new hardware announcement from Big N

Seriously, it's not going to happen

I hope Nintendo decide to do a mid gen console update, say Wii U Too.

spinkick
25-06-2015, 00:51
Nintendo doesnt even seem interested in the wii-u. E3 was a disgrace for Nintendo fans. Nintendo is losing developers for the wii-u fast

Gloomy
25-06-2015, 01:12
I don't think it would sell well on the wiiu. It may have a 10 million install base, but for alot of people like myself, the wiiu is a secondary console only bought to play first party Nintendo games.
Gamers interested in a racing sim will most likely have a gaming pc, Xbox one or ps4 too.
It's a shame for the few that don't have another system and would like to play this gane, but releasing such a watered down version would only be doing the game a big disservice.

Umer Ahmad
25-06-2015, 01:33
Any developer would be pretty bold to bother making a high poly game for WiiU at this time. Seems as Nintendo is gonna have new hardware in 2017.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/24/games-inbox-next-next-gen-project-cars-2-surprise-and-transformers-devastation-5261766/

"Maybe this is a silly question, and probably unanswerable, but when does everyone think the next next gen will be? It sounds like Nintendo will probably release a new console in 2017, which will make the Wii U just about five years old, but I’m not sure that really counts – plus it’s pointless trying to predict Nintendo anyway.
Now Sony are doing so well at the moment that they presumably don’t ever want this gen to stop at this point, so they’re presumably happy to carry on to seven years or more if they carry on as they are.
Microsoft though are somewhere in the middle. The Xbox One is doing okay, particularly in America and the UK, but it’s never going to catch up to the PlayStation 4 worldwide unless something really major happens. So I wonder whether they’ll be happy to move on fairly quickly too. Especially as the underpowered Xbox One is almost certainly not what Phil Spencer would’ve wanted and it should be fairly easy for Microsoft to create something more powerful than the PlayStation 4 that’s ready in two or three years."

Diablo944
25-06-2015, 02:18
Microsoft should build a standardised gaming pc instead of farting about. Xbone is all well and good, but if they did a pc that could satisfy the gaming community without necessarily alienating the xbox user base, they could do something very special indeed. A pc with xbox one like compatibility? Yes people would tear it apart and upgrade the hell out of it, but a pc that (in theory) if left as it was built could run the best available at ultra spec, but also be small enough to go under a tv? I remember when microsoft announced the first xbox and in my head i pictured that very gaming pc. Good as it was at the time it really kind of missed the mark (though xbmc made a difference back then when people took to hacking the box).

Nintendo have been fumbling the ball for years, losing their original user base to half hearted hardware specs. Its a shame they fell so far behind as they were once the kings of the console gaming scene (with atari, sega and others nipping at their heels). The irony being the first playstation being built after nintendo jumped into bed with (if memory serves) philips after working with sony to build a dvd add on for their machine of the time. That was potentially their biggest foul up as sony then went on to build the playstation. I remember the first time i saw ridge racer on psx, it was genuinely jaw dropping at the time when everything around it just became instantly dated.

Power and pin sharp graphics arent everything, but the failings of the wii u in terms of performance have seen it get disregarded by many and let sony and microsoft get an ever bigger market share. I dont see myself ever owning a nintendo again until the gap in processing power between their hardware and the alternatives is significantly closed. I doubt they care about me though, for a long time now they have aimed their products at a completely different mindset to the average xbox/sony owner.

Bob_bob
25-06-2015, 02:45
Ok so I know this could be seen as a little off topic but I believe it is relatable.

Splatoon (if none of you know what this is, it's Nintendo's take on the generic shooter, switching paint out for bullets and playing as human-squid hybrids, inklings) has just sold one million copies, in under a month (first available in Japan on the 28th of May) on the much criticised install base of 10 million. I believe this shows that games can sell well and quickly on Nintendo platforms if you give them a chance and make people aware of the games existence.

I'm not saying that Project CARS would sell 1 million but I wanted to post this to let people know how well games can sell on Nintendo platforms and this wasn't a game from a series, it was a brand new IP and it has still sold over a million copies in a month. I guess I'm just trying to say that sales wise the Wii U version of Project CARS could still sell fairly well (I know you won't run another advertising campaign for the Wii U version) if you decide to release it on the console so I hope you don't decide to give up on the Wii U version! :)

That idea is wrong as it's been proven that 1st party games on Nintendo sell very well, but 3rd party does very bad on Nintendo consoles. So sayings platoon did a mil proves it can sell does not since it's a Nintendo game

Robbo-92
25-06-2015, 08:49
@Stux, when the disappointing news about how the Wii U version was coming along was first revealed by Ian himself on these forums and he said they were hoping for a new console I posted that Nintendo had already stated that this years E3 would only be about games and there would be almost no chance of a new hardware reveal, I hope they don't go for a minor update and infact the NX is a large enough upgrade to warrent a purchase.

@spinkick, looking back at Nintendo's E3 it's clear they were focusing on games coming out in the near future (up until the end of March 2016), the difference with Nintendo is that they have produce other directs for the rest of the year so they don't place (sadly) as much importance on a good E3 performance like Sony/Microsft need to. Third party has been poor on the Wii U since it's launch in my opinion.

@Gloomy, obviously I don't want the game to be downgraded as SMS won't want it to be downgraded either. I do have a PS4 available to play it on (although the PS4 isn't actually mine, unlike the Wii U).

@Umer Ahmad, even if it does release in late 2017 that means the Wii U still has 2 years left in it so it's not like Project CARS would be released in a couple of months time with a new console a further 6 months after (if that was the case I could partly understand that with the issues facing the Wii U version they would switch to NX). As for when this gen will end it'll undoubtedly end in 2017, or whenever Nintendo release the NX as whether you like it or not the Wii U is 8th gen. As for the length of generations Nintendo have actually normally stuck to 5/6 years but the problem I worry they may face again is that the NX will be a gen 8.5 console similar to how the Wii U was more powerful that the PS3 and Xbox 360 but less powerful than the PS4/Xbox One. If there are indeed rumourings that Sony/Microsoft will release their new console in 2018 I hope Nintendo hold on and release in 2018 as well. That way even though the NX will be the least powerful the power differences shouldn't be as great. Saying that Sony probably don't want this gen to end considering how well the PS4 is selling!

@Diablo944, I agree with you that graphical capabilities certainly isn't everything but it needs to be there or thereabouts. I think along with the less power the architecture of the Wii U isn't helping Nintendo and third party developers as the PS4/Xbox One are X86 based whereas the Wii U is PowerPC based. Hopefully Nintendo can address this issue to a degree with their next console.

@Bob_bob, I'm going to have to politely disagree with you on that, Splatoon was a brand new IP so even though it was a Nintendo first party game it could have failed as easily as it succeeded. Thankfully it has sold a over a million in a month on the relatively small install base of 10 million Wii U owners. I wasn't saying Splatoons success meant other games (such as Project CARS) would be a success as well but just saying that even on the install base of 10 million over 10% of owners own the game and this was a brand new IP. It was only a short time ago everyone here was raving that Project CARS had sold over a million over the three platforms (although I fully expect that'll be much higher by now), wasn't Project CARS a new IP for SMS (albeit far from their first foray into the racing game genre).

I'll just finish off this post as I've said before, if the game is indeed cancelled on Wii U (which at the minute is my gut feeling) then fair enough, I'll just get it on PS4. But until it's officially cancelled I'm waiting for the Wii U version.

To be honest my next worry is that the NX will get Project CARS at launch (in late 2017) when the other platforms would get Project CARS 2, frankly if it does indeed get cancelled it'd have to be Project CARS 2 on the NX (the hardware should be able to handle it as the PS4/Xbox One are getting it and Nintendo would have to release something similar in power to the PS4/Xbox One, maybe a touch more powerful to try and safeguard for next gen). Putting Project CARS onto the NX when the other platforms would be getting Project CARS 2 wouldn't be a great idea in my opinion.

Wolfe
25-06-2015, 08:54
...for a long time now [Nintendo] have aimed their products at a completely different mindset to the average xbox/sony owner.
On the flipside, for a long time now the major third party publishers have aimed their products at a completely different mindset to the average Nintendo owner. That's why their titles don't sell on Nintendo hardware. We don't all like the same things. ;) Indie games are generally much more in tune with what Nintendo fans want, and they share the spotlight alongside hallowed Nintendo IPs, with banners and promotions on the eShop, appearances on the home screen plaza, and also previews on Treehouse Live at E3. I expect indie games to play a significant role in Nintendo's future.

Project CARS on Wii U was once heralded as another star indie title, but its potential success is and was always almost impossible to estimate for multiple reasons, from the fact that there's no precedent or competition in terms of a realistic racing game like this on Nintendo platforms, to the mixed press and publicity the game has received, including the troubled development of the Wii U version itself. Perhaps its greatest asset was Andy Tudor's vocal commitment to the platform, and if SMS pulls through in the end, they might be able to use that to their favor.

Robbo-92
25-06-2015, 09:14
I always found that third party games (usually from large companies, such as Ubisoft and and EA at the start of the Wii U's life) is that they charge the exact same amount for a game but cut back in the content, whether that be online multiplayer modes (Batman Arkham Origins had no multiplayer mode on Wii U); lack of support post release in the form of DLC (Assassins Creed, Call of Duty got a multiplayer map about 2 years after release and a long time after the other platforms) or in the case of EA just ripping Wii U owners right off (yes I'm looking at you Mass Effect 3 where we got Mass Effect 3 for the same price other consoles got the trilogy, great deal EA, great deal.......).

@Wolfe, I think with the recent news about the troubles the Wii U version is facing Andy Tudors comments could do more harm than good as a lot of people think "well the game was coming along great in September, how can it go from great to rubbish in the space of 10 months" (which is a relatively short amount of time in games development as far as I can see). I will fully agree that SMS had a previously untapped market in the Wii U, with the lack of news about the Wii U versions future (which I'm starting to read as bad news now, although I really hope I'm wrong) I guess we will never know how well/poorly it could have sold.

Szayel
25-06-2015, 19:26
“The Wii U is more than capable of providing the core Project CARS experience. Sure, some super-high-level graphical effects may not be possible but in comparison it also offers a unique interaction experience via the GamePad controller, with the second screen potentially becoming your track map overview, rear-view mirror, telemetry, or simply mimicking a real race car steering wheel whilst you use the gyroscope to drive.”

“Plus there are great possibilities to extend our existing WMD community into the Mii Community with discussion and sharing of content and ideas. There’s no realistic racing game on the Wii U currently yet, and we hear the fans crying out for one. Project CARS provides a Forza or Gran Turismo-like experience for those gamers and it’ll be something to really show off what the system is capable of. From our internal playing, it’s looking extremely promising.” --Andy Tudor

I've seen some of the responses to the whole Wiiu debacle, and I'm not going to be a pretentious asshole or tell you to kill yourself. This is a videogame we're talking about, not 15th century politics.

That being said, I am annoyed. I used the quote above to show just how much the people behind this game were hyping it up. Yeah, the Wiiu is weaker than the PS4 and Xbox1. Yeah, it has a smaller installbase. Yeah the NX system might replace it soon.

But you, as a company, can not deny responsibility for your words and the promises that you made and then try to pretend like you don't know why people might be, I don't know, upset. You announced Project Cars for the Wiiu and the PC first. You didn't state that the Wiiu was a maybe (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/project-cars-wii-u-was-always-a-maybe-dev-says/1100-6427617/) like you are now trying to claim. In fact, all you did until recently was ooze over how innovative (http://mynintendonews.com/2013/03/20/project-cars-developer-says-wii-u-screams-innovation/) and amazing (http://mynintendonews.com/2013/03/18/project-cars-for-wii-u-runs-at-720p-30fps-looks-feels-amazing/) the Wiiu version was. That means that you straight up lied to the people who put money down to support you via crowdfunding. You misled them into thinking that they were getting a good product; the Wiiu's power has nothing to do with this. These are all your company's words and actions.

Instead of trying to take the easy way out and pull the "Nintendo fans never buy third party excuse", think about how we feel. You expect us to shell out a full 50-60 dollars for a delayed game that will undoubtedly be inferior? After we've already donated money to support you via crowdfunding (Which, by the way, without that there wouldn't have been a Project Cars in the first place). After repeatedly telling us how diligently you've be working on it, and how you hope not to disappoint us?

Ha, but us "Nintendo fans" just never support 3rd parties, right? Maybe you should take a leaf from Bungie's book and think about the things you say before you say them, even if it was just an off-handed comment. You're the one representing your company, and you're the one who is supposed to uphold your obligations. As a videogame developer, that's just part of the job.

That's all I have to say. I just wanted to put this out there.

Ian Bell
25-06-2015, 19:28
“The Wii U is more than capable of providing the core Project CARS experience. Sure, some super-high-level graphical effects may not be possible but in comparison it also offers a unique interaction experience via the GamePad controller, with the second screen potentially becoming your track map overview, rear-view mirror, telemetry, or simply mimicking a real race car steering wheel whilst you use the gyroscope to drive.”

“Plus there are great possibilities to extend our existing WMD community into the Mii Community with discussion and sharing of content and ideas. There’s no realistic racing game on the Wii U currently yet, and we hear the fans crying out for one. Project CARS provides a Forza or Gran Turismo-like experience for those gamers and it’ll be something to really show off what the system is capable of. From our internal playing, it’s looking extremely promising.” --Andy Tudor

I've seen some of the responses to the whole Wiiu debacle, and I'm not going to be a pretentious asshole or tell you to kill yourself. This is a videogame we're talking about, not 15th century politics.

That being said, I am annoyed. I used the quote above to show just how much the people behind this game were hyping it up. Yeah, the Wiiu is weaker than the PS4 and Xbox1. Yeah, it has a smaller installbase. Yeah the NX system might replace it soon.

But you, as a company, can not deny responsibility for your words and the promises that you made and then try to pretend like you don't know why people might be, I don't know, upset. You announced Project Cars for the Wiiu and the PC first. You didn't state that the Wiiu was a maybe (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/project-cars-wii-u-was-always-a-maybe-dev-says/1100-6427617/) like you are now trying to claim. In fact, all you did until recently was ooze over how innovative (http://mynintendonews.com/2013/03/20/project-cars-developer-says-wii-u-screams-innovation/) and amazing (http://mynintendonews.com/2013/03/18/project-cars-for-wii-u-runs-at-720p-30fps-looks-feels-amazing/) the Wiiu version was. That means that you straight up lied to the people who put money down to support you via crowdfunding. You misled them into thinking that they were getting a good product; the Wiiu's power has nothing to do with this. These are all your company's words and actions.

Instead of trying to take the easy way out and pull the "Nintendo fans never buy third party excuse", think about how we feel. You expect us to shell out a full 50-60 dollars for a delayed game that will undoubtedly be inferior? After we've already donated money to support you via crowdfunding (Which, by the way, without that there wouldn't have been a Project Cars). After repeatedly telling us how diligently you've be working on it, and how you hope not to disappoint us?

Ha, but us "Nintendo fans" just never support 3rd parties, right? Maybe you should take a leaf from Bungie's book and think about the things you say before you say them, even if it was just an off-handed comment. You're the one representing your company, and you're the one who is supposed to uphold your obligations. As a videogame developer, that's just part of the job.

Nope, we don't expect you to do anything.

Take or leave what we do. It's your money.

Now, a totalitarian system where we could force everyone to buy....

Szayel
25-06-2015, 19:43
Nope, we don't expect you to do anything.

Take or leave what we do. It's your money.

Now, a totalitarian system where we could force everyone to buy....

I know it's my money. :) That's why I'm saying what I'm saying. I'm trying to help you out by taking time out to make a response. If you don't want to take my words seriously or whatever, that's fine, but I just wanted to speak for the people who have legitimate complaints. Thanks for proving my point.

Ian Bell
25-06-2015, 19:44
I know it's my money. :) That's why I'm saying what I'm saying. I'm trying to help you out by taking time out to make a response. If you don't want to take my words seriously or whatever, that's fine, but I just wanted to speak for the people who have legitimate complaints. Thanks for proving my point.

I've taken your words seriously. You don't want to buy our product I get that. I respect that. No one will force you I promise.

Now please stop wasting forum time trying to get an argument going. Regardless if you're speaking 'for the people' of not :)

Robbo-92
25-06-2015, 19:51

Instead of trying to take the easy way out and pull the "Nintendo fans never buy third party excuse", think about how we feel. You expect us to shell out a full 50-60 dollars for a delayed game that will undoubtedly be inferior? After we've already donated money to support you via crowdfunding (Which, by the way, without that there wouldn't have been a Project Cars in the first place). After repeatedly telling us how diligently you've be working on it, and how you hope not to disappoint us?

I don't often say this but you are spot on! :)

Martini Da Gasalini
25-06-2015, 20:13
ENOUGH WITH THE FRIGGEN NINTENDO Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,

Nintendo sucks! last time they had a decent relevent console that competed in the market worth a damn was SNES, damn people move the hell on!

Nintendo as a console needs to go the way of the last DoDo

Szayel
25-06-2015, 20:18
I've taken your words seriously. You don't want to buy our product I get that. I respect that. No one will force you I promise.

Now please stop wasting forum time trying to get an argument going. Regardless if you're speaking 'for the people' of not :)

Don't say I'm trying to start an argument, because I'm not and you know it. I'm not the one who's posting three-lined, sarcastic responses to every legitimate complaint.

And gee, I never said that I don't want to buy your product. Read my post again. I said the opposite. I don't speak "for the people", lol, but I do know that everyone isn't as patient as me, and they definitely don't like being disrespected by someone they helped.

Again, thanks for proving my point.

Steam
25-06-2015, 20:20
There never was a kickstarer for a Wii U version, they used WMD platform and Wii U wasn't there for most of the the funding period.

Robbo-92
25-06-2015, 21:22

Nintendo sucks! last time they had a decent relevent console that competed in the market worth a damn was SNES, damn people move the hell on!

Seriously Nintendo leaving the console market is the last thing they should do unless the whole gaming sector crashes overnight, if we didn't have Nintendo we would have 2 almost identical consoles with almost exactly the same games vying for the same market. Yes Nintendo aren't perfect but at least they try something different that sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't but I'll take Nintendo's first party line up over Sony's/Microsoft's any day of the week.

Robbo-92
25-06-2015, 21:29
There never was a kickstarer for a Wii U version, they used WMD platform and Wii U wasn't there for most of the the funding period.

Yes, there is a lot of confusion to how the game was actually funded and I am fully aware of that.

Pepois
27-06-2015, 00:53

Hi Ian Bell,

I've just registered to your forum with the sole purpose to reply to your last comments in this thread. First off, congratulations for such an amazing game!!!, you guys really outdid yourselves with this game. You totally surpassed the limits and did a hell of a job!

Now, I've been following closely your project and like many, I was/am really looking forward to buying your Wii U version since it gives an extra value for those of us owning a Wii U etc. As I am sure you already know, there hasn't been any serious car sim out on the Wii U market yet, thus the hype of having your game on the Nintendo platform has a very special appeal. Now, from what you have made cleared, Wii U users didn't add up much to the funding of the Cars Project if any, and actually there was no Wii U kickstarter etc. So yes, according to these, you as a company have every right to decide to release-finish developing the Wii U version or not. Though, we must agree that it would have been very unethical on your behalf to have canceled, delayed, given us false and hyped progress feedback etc., had there been some sort of funding etc., wouldn't you agree?

I am here with no other reason than to encourage you to please release such a great game if possible. I am sure there are many Wii U owners that will definitely buy your game. I am also sure you already know this, hence the inclusion of Wii U, PC, PS4, Xbox One polls. It's my understanding that the game runs close to 23 steady fps and there would need to be a lot of work involved in order to achieve a respectable 30fps. It just makes me wonder and wish that there was an easy way with little loss in terms of graphics to boost and gain 7 bloody fps... I really wish it was something not so complicated. I would really love if you could please give us a bit more feedback on these. Needles to say, I am sure the results from releasing a Wii U version will definitely pay off in the nearby future, many Nintendo fans will undoubtedly embrace this great game and will definitely look forward for a future NX release and so on, etc.

Either way, I am sure that all of us Wii U users would really love to hear a concluding statement on your behalf as to either continue keeping our hopes up or simply give closure, etc. From what you told us, you were waiting for NX announcements at E3 but since there were none, what direction will you take? Are/were you planning on giving us an official answer anytime soon? I still see the Wii U released for late 2015 announcement on your web page, etc. Thank you for all your time and feedback. I hope I haven't wasted more forum time, specially yours.

Warm regards
Tony Septien

UMadBro
27-06-2015, 05:49

Like SEGA? Nah. Nintendo's good enough, they'll last more than 50 years.

EDIT: I thought I would post another Wii U user's comment here.

"The problem is that you just don't understand why Nintendo fans are pissed about this. It's not because it's another game skipping the Wii U. You said yourself that we're more than used to that happening.

Do you know what the big, glaring difference is between Project CARS and other games, like Destiny and GTA? We were never given the impression that Destiny and GTA would come to the Wii U. Rockstar just outright said they're not supporting the Wii U. As much as people hoped Destiny would come, Activision never gave any impression they would ever support us with it. So there might have been some disappointment, but it wasn't that big of a deal, because they never even acted like it was coming.

But SMS didn't just give us the impression PC was coming to the Wii U, they actually developed the freakin game for it. For a short while, the Wii U was going to be the primary console, other than the PC. In their early poll, Wii U fans were much more interested in the game than anyone else. People donated to the crowd funding campaign with the expectation that it would be on the Wii U. SMS was working on developing the Wii U version and touting how awesome it was going to be before they even decided to shift to the PS4/XB1. Some people here in this forum, at least one of which was a backer, invested a lot of time into the community aspects of the project, and reached out to the Wii U community to drum up support for the game for them. Darth spend hard earned money and precious time designing and building a steering wheel column for the Wii U GamePad. And all along, SMS strung us along and made us believe they were actually still going to bring the game. They still haven't even come out and clearly stated that it's cancelled, which makes people like Robbo92 still have hope, even though they've pretty much made it clear in other words that it's not coming.

So after all of what people have invested in this, and after being strung along for so long, you really can't understand why people are pissed? This is nothing like Destiny and GTA. These guys strung us along, then stabbed in the back the very people who were working their asses off trying to get people interested in SMS's game."

EDIT 2: Ian Bell, quickly, pass the hose!

Jubei2011
27-06-2015, 10:16
I think many people being delusional about the horsepower in regards to the NX console. I bet my sweat ass it will be some kind of multi platform where you can also play your 3DS games on the system enjoying it on a big TV. Maby finally you will get full access to all the retro games Nes, Snes, N64 and Gamecube, Wii and Wii U. That would be indeed a fantastic move from Nintendo. In terms of hardware forget it, in no way will the NX be on a par with the PS4 or Xbox one. It is just too expensive. Nintendo knows this thats why they will aim for a new steering concept something never seen before. To summarize it nope no PC on the NX. Maby a watered down version to satisfy the Nintendo community.

I am taking some bets!:D

victorelessar
27-06-2015, 11:46

That's just a guess though. Like has been said above, eventually the castration of these things would make it a completely different game.

Probably enjoy the game 10x more running on PS4, I never expected this to be released on any of the older consoles, just not enough power.

but this is exactly what happens with every PS4 game. a thousand things are removed from the games in order for it to run at 30fps. You have your uncahrted downgraded as hell, and no one is complainning. i dont see why wiiu owners cant have their downgraded game aswel.
If everyone should do as you think, everbody should go the PC route, and have the games with all the power it can get.

wraithsrike
27-06-2015, 14:47
but this is exactly what happens with every PS4 game. a thousand things are removed from the games in order for it to run at 30fps. You have your uncahrted downgraded as hell, and no one is complainning. i dont see why wiiu owners cant have their downgraded game aswel.
If everyone should do as you think, everbody should go the PC route, and have the games with all the power it can get.

Have you stopped to think about the work the developers have put into this game maybe they don't want to downgrade it to a point where all there effort as been in vain.

I'm guessing the development team are very proud of PCars and rightfully so, therefore they want to show it of to its full potential not some half baked version.

I feel for you Wii guys I really do but no way should this team have to provide a half arsed attempt of there creation simply because Nintendo can't keep up with evolution.

The biggest mistake SMS made was saying they would try and do it for the Wii in the first place ( imho) they should of done what every other 3rd party do and said no.

Diablo944
27-06-2015, 15:06
So no commodore 64 version either then i take it

victorelessar
27-06-2015, 15:38
Have you stopped to think about the work the developers have put into this game maybe they don't want to downgrade it to a point where all there effort as been in vain.

I'm guessing the development team are very proud of PCars and rightfully so, therefore they want to show it of to its full potential not some half baked version.

I feel for you Wii guys I really do but no way should this team have to provide a half arsed attempt of there creation simply because Nintendo can't keep up with evolution.

The biggest mistake SMS made was saying they would try and do it for the Wii in the first place ( imho) they should of done what every other 3rd party do and said no.

I was speaking more in general really. Everybody is hating on nintendo's poor console and its limited hardware, but ignores that every game coming out this and last generation are being downgraded because PS4 and Xboxone cant handle them as they are.
take a look at the exclusives for instance: bloodborne. looks good, no doubt, but theres not a lot of technical enhancement and they struggle to keep it on 30fps. Uncharted first photage looked gorgeous. the downgrade is so evident from this years E3 that its quite a shame. witcher III got a massive downgrade because console wouldnt handle (still looks gorgeous as fuck though), but ps4 and xboxone are hurting themselves to keep 30fps on witcher.
If I focus on xboxone alone, its even worse. lower res and lower fps for almost every game. But if we point that out, its all about gameplay and having fun. nobody cares for frame rates or technical issues. When it comes to wiiu though, everyone will be proud their console of choice is more powerful.

Games are getting downgraded everywhere. I guess the main issue with wiiu is the cost of production vs the revenue they would get from it. Pure finnancial choice.

wraithsrike
27-06-2015, 15:46
It also depends how much said game has to.be downgraded your console of choice struggles to run a heavily down graded version of PCars even at 23/24 frames how much more do you want the developers to sacrifice there game?

David McKenna
27-06-2015, 15:58
We dont have Xbox 360 and PS3 owners constantly going on about their version being cancelled, I'm sure they would have paid in more for development than WII U owners, so why won't WII U owners give it a rest?

amazed
27-06-2015, 16:04
Because it hasn't "officially" been cancelled.

Because they are misguided as to the difference between "Kickstarter" and the actual funding process.

Because they feel they are mistakenly "owed" something.

wraithsrike
27-06-2015, 16:07
We dont have Xbox 360 and PS3 owners constantly going on about their version being cancelled, I'm sure they would have paid in more for development than WII U owners, so why won't WII U owners give it a rest?

It's funny my lad had a Wii but because of racing games a genre he was clearly into we moved on to an xbox, if my car or house doesn't suit my needs anymore I buy something that does, to me it's a no brainer, if your shoe's no longer fit buy a pair that do other wise your be for ever moaning

Bob_bob
27-06-2015, 16:09
You forget when they say 23fps you are assuming they are doing the best coding for the wiiu and. Doubt it. With the massive coding changes required to get gpu to handle the graphics. I doubt they rewrote the entire graphics to perfume effecienctly for the wiiu. Look at need for speed, not a simulator but ran with great for, look awesome and it was on a wiiu.

Always, remember when they said it can't run more then a certain fps, that is the coders limitations on always the consoles. When the all other consoles and pic doesn't have to use gpu like the wiiu does, it require a complete new graphics library to get best performance.

Example, at work we had a map displaying thousands of objects on it at once and the original programmer said the library sucked and about 300 was the max. Convinced the company to through it out and start over. Monce he left, I moved in brought the old library back and optimized the code (complete rewrite) and now it supports over 5000 object sec/sec update while his at 300object was every couple of seconds.

So remember, it's only as good as the programmer, and that doesn't mean they are bad programmers, but they might not know enough of wiiu to get it to handle it.

Also, they might have determine the amount of learning curve and cost would out way the pay back on the purchases on the wiiu. If you look at 3rd party games and how they did, it sucks. Just not enough users for wiiu to make it profitable, at the end of day you need to be profitable.

But again, it's crowd funded and so,it's pure profit and they are making PC2 and its crowd funded also, so once again pure profit, no out of pocket expense. It's he new futur, you get people to hand over cash you make something and keep the profits and then on next project you do the same. Free money, and free investment, In past you had to get investers and they would want a certain percentage of the company today you don't give away anything because crowd funded is idiots giving there cash away for nothing.

But I say no to the wiiu(I own one) for this reason only. NO ANALOG button for gas and brake, need for speed sucked with no analog buttons, that while max gas or no gas was stupid, max brake or no brakes was stupid. Nintendo created a poor controller and it is way behind the time, wax on, wax off. Going around a corner and sometime you just need to give it enough for traction and it was impossible for need of speed. Nintendo would need to be an arcade version so you can slide around corner because if you hit gas with max on, you would spin out in this simulator,

That may two sense.

wraithsrike
27-06-2015, 16:15
These posts / threads will go on for ever all the time people keep replying to the same ole pointless debate, so I'm out of here.

Jubei2011
27-06-2015, 16:41
These posts / threads will go on for ever all the time people keep replying to the same ole pointless debate, so I'm out of here.

lol what these people never consider is the frame rate drop when it rains :) They are talking about normal weather circumstances with around 20 plus cars to achieve locked 30 fps. But let it rain then you will end up with 10 fps. They are not willing to understand and cannot accept that the Wii U is just not powerful enough.

madmax2069
27-06-2015, 16:59
You forget when they say 23fps you are assuming they are doing the best coding for the wiiu and. Doubt it. With the massive coding changes required to get gpu to handle the graphics. I doubt they rewrote the entire graphics to perfume effecienctly for the wiiu. Look at need for speed, not a simulator but ran with great for, look awesome and it was on a wiiu.

Always, remember when they said it can't run more then a certain fps, that is the coders limitations on always the consoles. When the all other consoles and pic doesn't have to use gpu like the wiiu does, it require a complete new graphics library to get best performance.

Example, at work we had a map displaying thousands of objects on it at once and the original programmer said the library sucked and about 300 was the max. Convinced the company to through it out and start over. Monce he left, I moved in brought the old library back and optimized the code (complete rewrite) and now it supports over 5000 object sec/sec update while his at 300object was every couple of seconds.

So remember, it's only as good as the programmer, and that doesn't mean they are bad programmers, but they might not know enough of wiiu to get it to handle it.

Also, they might have determine the amount of learning curve and cost would out way the pay back on the purchases on the wiiu. If you look at 3rd party games and how they did, it sucks. Just not enough users for wiiu to make it profitable, at the end of day you need to be profitable.

But again, it's crowd funded and so,it's pure profit and they are making PC2 and its crowd funded also, so once again pure profit, no out of pocket expense. It's he new futur, you get people to hand over cash you make something and keep the profits and then on next project you do the same. Free money, and free investment, In past you had to get investers and they would want a certain percentage of the company today you don't give away anything because crowd funded is idiots giving there cash away for nothing.

But I say no to the wiiu(I own one) for this reason only. NO ANALOG button for gas and brake, need for speed sucked with no analog buttons, that while max gas or no gas was stupid, max brake or no brakes was stupid. Nintendo created a poor controller and it is way behind the time, wax on, wax off. Going around a corner and sometime you just need to give it enough for traction and it was impossible for need of speed. Nintendo would need to be an arcade version so you can slide around corner because if you hit gas with max on, you would spin out in this simulator,

That may two sense.

Do you even know anything about programming ?

Sounds to me like you don't know much of anything about programming.

Its easy to say to optimize this and optimize that, its very very hard to actually do it, and 9 Times out of 10 the limitations are due to the hardware and the systems SDK and not the programming itself.

spavatch
27-06-2015, 17:06
Because it hasn't "officially" been cancelled.
Because they are misguided as to the difference between "Kickstarter" and the actual funding process.
Because they feel they are mistakenly "owed" something.
And because, unlike PS3 and X360 users, they don't have any other serious racing game to play. I mean NFS Most Wanted U was a decent title but it's nowhere near pCars.

It's funny my lad had a Wii but because of racing games a genre he was clearly into we moved on to an xbox, if my car or house doesn't suit my needs anymore I buy something that does, to me it's a no brainer, if your shoe's no longer fit buy a pair that do other wise your be for ever moaning
But you wouldn't change your car or house just because there's a single deep scratch on one of the windows, now would you? A single game title, no matter how important and anxiously anticipated, won't change people's affection to their console. There's a helluva lot more to it than that.

And I understand them, probably because I'm one of them. And I've pre-ordered a copy of Nintendo version months ago really wanting to play on that particular platform. But I somehow felt it would end up like this, probably when Mr Tudor posted a general statement about 3rd party USB wheel support on Twitter with more details to come and no follow-up explaination ever came.

Wolfe
27-06-2015, 17:18
...I say no to the wiiu(I own one) for this reason only. NO ANALOG button for gas and brake, need for speed sucked with no analog buttons, that while max gas or no gas was stupid, max brake or no brakes was stupid. Nintendo created a poor controller and it is way behind the time, wax on, wax off. Going around a corner and sometime you just need to give it enough for traction and it was impossible for need of speed. Nintendo would need to be an arcade version so you can slide around corner because if you hit gas with max on, you would spin out in this simulator,
I would use the right analog stick, the way I learned to play Gran Turismo 3 back in the day.

There's actually a reason why the Wii U's controllers lack analog triggers: it's not because Nintendo is behind the times, it's because a "patent troll" company called Anascape sued Nintendo and Microsoft over a few technologies in the Gamecube, Wii, and Xbox controllers, including analog triggers. Microsoft settled with Anascape out of court and may have agreed to pay license fees to them, but Nintendo fought back and won an appeal (http://spong.com/article/21154/Nintendos-Court-Case-Saves-USD21-Million-Controller-Costs), and they've opted for digital triggers ever since.

Mad Al
27-06-2015, 18:27

That may two sense.

Congrats.. not only are you are talking out of your arse... you just insulted the whole of SMS

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32947-WiiLITANT-Hahahaha-what-a-terrible-forum-and-company&p=1017015#post1017015

as for the funding on PC2, that's not to actually pay for the project (Ian has already said that), it's to deter twats.. the average internet troll isn't prepared to pay 50 quid to be a twat online

Robbo-92
27-06-2015, 18:29
Surprised this thread is still going, I thought it had slowly slipped off everyone's radar! :)

Anyway just to generaly address a few of the issues some of you people have made:

-Wii U owners know the console is the least powerful of the current gen but it doesn't stop us from having a great console with great first party games that a wide audience of gamers can play and enjoy. Project CARS could be a huge bonus for Nintendo fans as it would actually show a relatively small developer releasing a demanding game on the system in a genre very new to Nintendo platforms.
-PS3 and Xbox 360 owners aren't annoyed anymore (I dare say they were when they were cancelled) as they at least have some closure as to the fate of their version. Wii U owners have been given little tiny bits of info over the last month leading many to believe that the Wii U version was a complete goner to yesterday when Ian gave a glimmer of hope that they may return to working on it at some point in the future if Nintendo don't release/properly announce a new console soon (which spoiler, they won't until E3 2016 (my guess anyway)).
-@Jubei2011, when Andy Tudor talked about the Wii U version last year I'm pretty sure when he said it was looking great that was referring to a race in rainy conditions (can't remember if he said a thunderstorm even) and he still praised it. Obviously no one knows if this was in time trail or a race with a few/lots of AI but still.
-@Bob_bob, like Wolfe I'd also use an analog stick and depending on whether SMS made good use of the gamepads gyro for steering you could have two sticks to use so one for throttle and another for brake. The front bumper buttons would be very handy for manual shifting if they went that way as well :)

rbmoura
28-06-2015, 03:48
Im having already so much fun with my wii u, this game would be icing on the cake.

The wii u is not getting any other racing game like this, i think a port could sell like 500k units, at least.

Talk with nintendo, get some classic nintendo characters to decorate the cars...nintendo fans will love this. Use the gamepad to add some kind of functionality that u could change during races, like those buttons f1 cars have. I dont think thats ever been done on racers, and some people might even double dip

Do it, please :)

madmax2069
28-06-2015, 05:36
Im having already so much fun with my wii u, this game would be icing on the cake.

The wii u is not getting any other racing game like this, i think a port could sell like 500k units, at least.

Talk with nintendo, get some classic nintendo characters to decorate the cars...nintendo fans will love this. Use the gamepad to add some kind of functionality that u could change during races, like those buttons f1 cars have. I dont think thats ever been done on racers, and some people might even double dip

Lest say they release it, you'll all be back here crying and complaining and whining that you got a sub par version of the game.

UMadBro
28-06-2015, 09:30
Lest say they release it, you'll all be back here crying and complaining and whining that you got a sub par version of the game.

That's not actually true. Wii U has 3 cores.

TrevorAustin
28-06-2015, 10:06

That may two sense.

Pc2 is not crowdfunded, you have completely missed the point on that one, completely!
But that isn't unique:)

amazed
28-06-2015, 10:10

Made by Apple.

UMadBro
28-06-2015, 10:57
Made by Apple.

By Nintendo. We wouldn't be gaming if it weren't for Miyamoto in the 90's or 80's.

TrevorAustin
28-06-2015, 11:35

If course you're joking. Mario driving a formula a, the thought of that, on it's own is more than enough to never develop anything ever for wii

FA RACING 01
28-06-2015, 11:45
I thought the Wii was for gholf and bowling games. Can you actually play a SIM on that ? (no sarcasm)

Diablo944
28-06-2015, 13:16

Which apparently isnt enough in the pcars minimum processing power stakes

UMadBro
28-06-2015, 13:21
I thought the Wii was for gholf and bowling games. Can you actually play a SIM on that ? (no sarcasm)

Have you heard of E3 lately? Nintendo announced a bunch of cool new games for both Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.
http://static.metacritic.com/images/features/2012games/wiiu_box.jpg
If you've been to GameStop, EB Games or other places you'll know they sell Wii Us. Wii U is the successor to Wii. There was some consumer confusion, but I think they already knew and were trying to play dumb.

Steam
28-06-2015, 13:42
Which apparently isnt enough in the pcars minimum processing power stakes

Yep.

"Our tyre model is saturating the WiiU's full compliment of CPU. There's not much left for anything else."

Mad Al
28-06-2015, 14:39
Yep.

"Our tyre model is saturating the WiiU's full compliment of CPU. There's not much left for anything else."

Lets wait for the "but they can always get Nintendo or some third party in to optimise their code".....

madmax2069
28-06-2015, 14:42

Lmao, stop the press the WiiU has 3 cores, i think just about everyone already knows that.Those 3 cores do not have enough power which is why it hardly can reach 25FPS even with things dumbed down. Why do you think they dropped the 360 (and its 3 core PPE which had hyper threading), and the PS3 ? Which has around the same power as the WiiU ?

Again you all would complain and whine and cry because you all received a sub par version of the game.

Robbo-92
28-06-2015, 16:26
Lets wait for the "but they can always get Nintendo or some third party in to optimise their code".....

I hope (and presume?) that SMS have already been in touch with Nintendo on the possibility of extracting more performance from the Wii U. Reading between the lines again Ian saying the Wii U version needs hard work could be implementing possible solutions from Nintendo? As it would most likely mean rewriting some of the game.

Lmao, stop the press the WiiU has 3 cores, i think just about everyone already knows that.Those 3 cores do not have enough power which is why it hardly can reach 25FPS even with things dumbed down. Why do you think they dropped the 360 (and its 3 core PPE which had hyper threading), and the PS3 ? Which has around the same power as the WiiU ?

Again you all would complain and whine and cry because you all received a sub par version of the game.

I'm not sure what the spec of the PS4/Xbox CPU's are but Ian did say that on the other consoles the tyre model alone is taking up two cores so if it's the same for the Wii U then it has a core left for everything else. Which from the sounds of it is a lot for one core to handle.

Also while it's not as powerful as the PS4/Xbox One the Wii U is certainly more powerful that the PS3/Xbox 360. Even Nintendo wouldn't have gotten 10 million sales if their new console was only on the same power as the previous gen, just wouldn't have happend.

3Dude
28-06-2015, 17:08
Also while it's not as powerful as the PS4/Xbox One the Wii U is certainly more powerful that the PS3/Xbox 360. Even Nintendo wouldn't have gotten 10 million sales if their new console was only on the same power as the previous gen, just wouldn't have happend.

Sure it could. Just look at Nintendo's success last generation. The original Wii was exactly the same hardware as the Gamecube, with a clock increase and more RAM. In fact, the Wii remote was originally designed as a Gamecube peripheral. Nintendo got crazy sales from repackaging their previous generation hardware with a newer controller. There's every reason that they hoped they could get similar success with using a similar strategy with the Wii U.

I own a Wii U myself and while the Nintendo's games do look nice, they also look like slightly nicer looking versions of last generation 360 and PS3 games. If SMS can't get the performance they want from their game on Nintendo's hardware, then I think you guys pressing for a Wii U version should respect their decision.

Psychomatrix
28-06-2015, 17:21
Even when wii u have 16 cores. A release is a risk and all tge people who crying should go to nintendo and blame them for their politics. you never find enough people who buy a racing sim on the wii u. People who developing games must eat, drink and have familys. the sources of sms are not endless. And main focus is to support pc1 on existing plattforms and start pc2.

MonoBarrientos
28-06-2015, 17:31
for wiiu, pcars needs too much downgrade...maybe not would be good idea

madmax2069
28-06-2015, 17:40
I hope (and presume?) that SMS have already been in touch with Nintendo on the possibility of extracting more performance from the Wii U. Reading between the lines again Ian saying the Wii U version needs hard work could be implementing possible solutions from Nintendo? As it would most likely mean rewriting some of the game.

I'm not sure what the spec of the PS4/Xbox CPU's are but Ian did say that on the other consoles the tyre model alone is taking up two cores so if it's the same for the Wii U then it has a core left for everything else. Which from the sounds of it is a lot for one core to handle.

Both the Xbox one and PS4 have a 8 core CPU. Both have at least one or two cores reserved for OS functions (so they have 6-7 cores available for games, its my understanding that the PS4 has 1 core reserved for OS functions, and xbox one has two cores reserved for OS functions). I dont know how the WiiU handles OS functions, but the WiiU also has to reserve some CPU and GPU power (as well as memory) to the gamepads screen and its functions as well as reserve some for the OS, all of which leaves less for the games to use.

And yes Nintendo would, just look at the Wii (look at how well it sold). It is more powerful then the GameCube but nowhere close to the power of PS3 and the 360. The WiiU is more powerful then the Wii, but not much more powerful then the 360 or PS3 but nowhere close to the power of the PS4 and xbox one. The GameCube was the last console that Matched its current gen systems, after that gen Nintendo stopped pushing for more power.

The WiiU's CPU is around as powerful then the 360 and PS3 CPU, the WiiU's GPU is more capable then the GPU in the 360 and PS3. The WiiU has more memory available to games then the 360 and PS3 combined.

Robbo-92
28-06-2015, 17:46
Sure it could. Just look at Nintendo's success last generation. The original Wii was exactly the same hardware as the Gamecube, with a clock increase and more RAM. In fact, the Wii remote was originally designed as a Gamecube peripheral. Nintendo got crazy sales from repackaging their previous generation hardware with a newer controller. There's every reason that they hoped they could get similar success with using a similar strategy with the Wii U.

I own a Wii U myself and while the Nintendo's games do look nice, they also look like slightly nicer looking versions of last generation 360 and PS3 games. If SMS can't get the performance they want from their game on Nintendo's hardware, then I think you guys pressing for a Wii U version should respect their decision.

In my opinion the Nintendo games all look very nice! :) One of the reasons the Wii U had a less than stellar launch was due to to the lack of a must have title, due to this slow start even with great games being released it's never shown signs of catching up to the others which is a shame as it is a good console with a good library of games. I was actually hoping Nintendo would have announced a price cut at this years E3 but that failed to materialise as this would have helped drive sales.

Even when wii u have 16 cores. A release is a risk and all tge people who crying should go to nintendo and blame them for their politics. you never find enough people who buy a racing sim on the wii u. People who developing games must eat, drink and have familys. the sources of sms are not endless. And main focus is to support pc1 on existing plattforms and start pc2.

Once again nobody knows how well a sim will sell on a Nintendo platform because there has never been a true racing sim released on a Nintendo platform.

for wiiu, pcars needs too much downgrade...maybe not would be good idea

That was kind of the reason I started this thread, to discuss what potentially would need to be downgraded/taken out for it to run on Wii U. As it's currently at 720p/23fps I wouldn't imagine it'd need a lot taking out so the core experience could well be the same across the board which is obviously what SMS would like.

wraithsrike
28-06-2015, 17:52
But it's not running at 23 fps in its current state that's the point.

Robbo-92
28-06-2015, 17:56
Both the Xbox one and PS4 have a 8 core CPU. Both have at least one or two cores reserved for OS functions (so they have 6-7 cores available for games, its my understanding that the PS4 has 1 core reserved for OS functions, and xbox one has two cores reserved for OS functions). I dont know how the WiiU handles OS functions, but the WiiU also has to reserve some CPU and GPU power (as well as memory) to the gamepads screen and its functions as well as reserve some for the OS, all of which leaves less for the games to use.

And yes Nintendo would, just look at the Wii (look at how well it sold). It is more powerful then the GameCube but nowhere close to the power of PS3 and the 360. The WiiU is more powerful then the Wii, but not much more powerful then the 360 or PS3 but nowhere close to the power of the PS4 and xbox one. The GameCube was the last console that Matched its current gen systems, after that gen Nintendo stopped pushing for more power.

The WiiU's CPU is around as powerful then the 360 and PS3 CPU, the WiiU's GPU is more capable then the GPU in the 360 and PS3. The WiiU has more memory available to games then the 360 and PS3 combined.

Well let's hope the NX does something to address the power issue, I'm not saying it needs to be the most powerful but it needs to be up there. I've read that it's the Wii U's GPU is kind of like its secret weapon (that it's very good), there's a intresting article here if you fancy a read: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U-Memory-Bandwidth-GPU-More-Powerful-Than-We-Thought-62437.html

Robbo-92
28-06-2015, 17:59
But it's not running at 23 fps in its current state that's the point.

According to Ian Bell it is currently at 720p/23fps, I'm not making those numbers up they've come from the head of studio in reply to a previous topic discussing the Wii U version of Project CARS.

David McKenna
28-06-2015, 18:06
Is there a reason why the game cant be 600p and upscaled improving the framerate?

Diablo944
28-06-2015, 18:13
They cant drop the resolution below 720p, nintendo restriction
They need to be at a stable 30 fps, nintendo restriction

They were at around 24 fps if memory serves, not even close in real terms. Plus to guarantee staying above 30 fps that would call for a shedload of sacrifices. Draw distance, quality of graphical detail, no weather, no graphical tweak show off stuff (crepuscular stuff etc), no tyre marks on the tracks, no animations beyond car movement, a limit on how many cars could race or all races using identical cars that was not in keeping with other versions. Basically a different game altogether. Maybe thats the version needed? Not project cars, more of a Cars lite edition. Something where nintendo has a chance to run it with its paltry 2gig of ram.

But none of it matters, its never likely to happen, personally i would hope they stick to tweaking and fixing pcars1 for machines that can actually run, and in fact are running it. Rather than blame sms for the lack of pcars coming to fruition, try blaming nintendo for their lack of horsepower in this current generation of gaming machines, more importantly, if nintendo werent so secretive about their hardware, maybe devs would get more out of it. But it still comes down to the same thing, the wii u is not powerful enough where it counts, sms tried to do it and apparently couldnt, so thats that really.

I appreciate the frustration people feel about not knowing if it will ever happen, but as people are all over sms for not doing it already, if they now said 'oh go on then, we will give it another go' and then failed again, it would mean nothing as all it would do was start the whole thing all over again. If they say, bollocks to it, its cancelled, we are not doing it, then people will still bitch on about it, but one thing wont have changed, there still wont be a project cars on wii u, and the wii u will still be as underpowered for the task as it is now. The only chance i think pcars and nintendo had was with the upcoming nx. But couple the lack of info on that with the constant bitching and whining from the nintendo camp and i can imagine sms saying 'after all the shit we had with the wii u owners, feck em, lets skip it altogether and stay with the pc,x1 and ps4.

Nintendo owners are doing very little to endear themselves to the pcars devs. 360 and ps3 owners had to move on and change machines if they wanted pcars, no doubt a lot went to ps4 and xbone, the fact nintendo havent got anything to go to limits your options, if you really are intent on sticking to nintendo? Then you (like the ps3 360 owners) should move on as well, if its not to a machine thats running pcars then thats that, no pcars.

What comes next?demands for Forza on ps4? Gran turismo on xbox? Sometimes the machine you have limits what you can have on it. Its pretty obvious now that if you own a nintendo, you cant have pcars

3Dude
28-06-2015, 18:14
Well let's hope the NX does something to address the power issue, I'm not saying it needs to be the most powerful but it needs to be up there. I've read that it's the Wii U's GPU is kind of like its secret weapon (that it's very good), there's a intresting article here if you fancy a read: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U-Memory-Bandwidth-GPU-More-Powerful-Than-We-Thought-62437.html

If I were you, I wouldn't be posting articles like that. :) Just about everything in that article is misinformation (false).

rbmoura
28-06-2015, 18:26
i meant as paintings on the cars, not as drivers

wraithsrike
28-06-2015, 18:27
According to Ian Bell it is currently at 720p/23fps, I'm not making those numbers up they've come from the head of studio in reply to a previous topic discussing the Wii U version of Project CARS.

I think your missing the point here, it needs to run at a rock steady 30fps so it's current tyre model wouldn't be able to be use nor dynamic weather or rain plus so much more sacrifices it will no longer be Pcars.
Why don't you guys understand that?

rbmoura
28-06-2015, 18:32
I think your missing the point here, it needs to run at a rock steady 30fps so it's current tyre model wouldn't be able to be use nor dynamic weather or rain plus so much more sacrifices it will no longer be Pcars.

I think u are overstimating how much of this "tyre model" you are actually experiencing (feeling) during gameplay...

Bealdor
28-06-2015, 18:39
I think u are overstimating how much of this "tyre model" you are actually experiencing (feeling) during gameplay...

Point is, if you simplify the tire model this game wouldn't be PCARS anymore. And this is not the kind of compromise SMS is willing to do.

Robbo-92
28-06-2015, 18:40
If I were you, I wouldn't be posting articles like that. :) Just about everything in that article is misinformation (false).

Why is it all false? I'm no tech know all but it all seems feasible to me.

They cant drop the resolution below 720p, nintendo restriction
They need to be at a stable 30 fps, nintendo restriction

They were at around 24 fps if memory serves, not even close in real terms. Plus to guarantee staying above 30 fps that would call for a shedload of sacrifices. Draw distance, quality of graphical detail, no weather, no graphical tweak show off stuff (crepuscular stuff etc), no tyre marks on the tracks, no animations beyond car movement, a limit on how many cars could race or all races using identical cars that was not in keeping with other versions. Basically a different game altogether. Maybe thats the version needed? Not project cars, more of a Cars lite edition. Something where nintendo has a chance to run it with its paltry 2gig of ram.

But none of it matters, its never likely to happen, personally i would hope they stick to tweaking and fixing pcars1 for machines that can actually run, and in fact are running it. Rather than blame sms for the lack of pcars coming to fruition, try blaming nintendo for their lack of horsepower in this current generation of gaming machines, more importantly, if nintendo werent so secretive about their hardware, maybe devs would get more out of it. But it still comes down to the same thing, the wii u is not powerful enough where it counts, sms tried to do it and apparently couldnt, so thats that really.

I appreciate the frustration people feel about not knowing if it will ever happen, but as people are all over sms for not doing it already, if they now said 'oh go on then, we will give it another go' and then failed again, it would mean nothing as all it would do was start the whole thing all over again. If they say, bollocks to it, its cancelled, we are not doing it, then people will still bitch on about it, but one thing wont have changed, there still wont be a project cars on wii u, and the wii u will still be as underpowered for the task as it is now. The only chance i think pcars and nintendo had was with the upcoming nx. But couple the lack of info on that with the constant bitching and whining from the nintendo camp and i can imagine sms saying 'after all the shit we had with the wii u owners, feck em, lets skip it altogether and stay with the pc,x1 and ps4.

Nintendo owners are doing very little to endear themselves to the pcars devs. 360 and ps3 owners had to move on and change machines if they wanted pcars, no doubt a lot went to ps4 and xbone, the fact nintendo havent got anything to go to limits your options, if you really are intent on sticking to nintendo? Then you (like the ps3 360 owners) should move on as well, if its not to a machine thats running pcars then thats that, no pcars.

What comes next?demands for Forza on ps4? Gran turismo on xbox? Sometimes the machine you have limits what you can have on it. Its pretty obvious now that if you own a nintendo, you cant have pcars

As I have posted before a few bad posters can hugely impact the image of a company's customers, even more so on forums/comment sections, I'd like to think that most Nintendo fans are level headed and can take criticism about their current console without resorting to posting rubbish.

If SMS decide to cancel Project CARS then fair enough, at least it will be a definitive answer and even though the reaction will be bad to start with all parties should be able to move on.

Also I'm not sure about the restrictions regarding resolution (or frame rate for that matter) as I remember reading somewhere that the Wii U port of Watch Dogs (I'm probably one of the few who actually bought it for Wii U as well) was well below 720p (and then up-scaled) and it's frame rate can only be described as poor.

Is there a reason why the game cant be 600p and upscaled improving the framerate?

Could be a possible compromise without sacrificing the physics (arguably the most important aspect of a racing sim as well).

spavatch
28-06-2015, 18:43
Well let's hope the NX does something to address the power issue
Let's hope it won't come until 2017, the current console still has a lot to offer, whether with or without pCars.

Robbo-92
28-06-2015, 18:46

Ah I didn't realise the tyre model required the game to run at 30fps to function properly, you never mentioned the tyre model in the previous post of your's I quoted.

Point is, if you simplify the tire model this game wouldn't be PCARS anymore. And this is not the kind of compromise SMS is willing to do.

Bealdor, just out of interest did you invest in the WMD and play various builds throughout? I've always thought that if not much is lost then a good compromise could be reverting the Wii U version back to the Brush model rather than SETA. Was there many differences between the two that were easily noticeable, obviously if a lot of 'feel' would be lost then I could understand why SMS wouldn't want to do this.

wraithsrike
28-06-2015, 18:47

Ok, I've had enough.

Diablo944
28-06-2015, 18:50
Ok, I've had enough.

Lol, me too

Race time

Bealdor
28-06-2015, 18:50
Bealdor, just out of interest did you invest in the WMD and play various builds throughout? I've always thought that if not much is lost then a good compromise could be reverting the Wii U version back to the Brush model rather than SETA. Was there many differences between the two that were easily noticeable, obviously if a lot of 'feel' would be lost then I could understand why SMS wouldn't want to do this.

Yes I'm a WMD member since 2012. The difference between the old Brush Tire Model and the new SETA Tire Model is massive. Switching back to make it run on WiiU would really make it a totally different game. It's not just a few nuances that you'd feel are different.
IMO it would be too big of a sacrifice to revert to the old tire model.

wraithsrike
28-06-2015, 18:55
Lol, me too

Race time

It's mind numbing it really is, thread after thread post after post, just repeating the same thing and still these Nintendo owner's don't grasp it. Your console cannot run Pcars it isn't powerful enough.

Robbo-92
28-06-2015, 19:13
Yes I'm a WMD member since 2012. The difference between the old Brush Tire Model and the new SETA Tire Model is massive. Switching back to make it run on WiiU would really make it a totally different game. It's not just a few nuances that you'd feel are different.
IMO it would be too big of a sacrifice to revert to the old tire model.

Thanks for your answer, I wasn't sure how big the differences were between the two models, sounds more like an entire rework and not just an upgrade!

It's mind numbing it really is, thread after thread post after post, just repeating the same thing and still these Nintendo owner's don't grasp it. Your console cannot run Pcars it isn't powerful enough.

To my way of thinking if this was the case then surely SMS would have cancelled it already? I'd say at the moment it's right on the limit due to no official cancellation and Ian saying it could still be classed as possible work if Nintendo don't announce a new console soon (which I'm guessing will be announced at E3 2016). SMS's lack of cancellation still gives me hope, however little it may be :)

Also discussing the Wii U version isn't mind numbing to Nintendo fans as we can't exactly play Project CARS yet! :)

3Dude
28-06-2015, 20:00
Why is it all false? I'm no tech know all but it all seems feasible to me.

Because that entire article is based on the assumption that the Wii U's eDRAM is running at an absurd speed that's faster than the processors could ever utilize. That article has been debunked over and over:

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/wii-u-hardware-discussion-and-investigation-rename.51528/page-273

wraithsrike
28-06-2015, 20:20
Thanks for your answer, I wasn't sure how big the differences were between the two models, sounds more like an entire rework and not just an upgrade!

To my way of thinking if this was the case then surely SMS would have cancelled it already? I'd say at the moment it's right on the limit due to no official cancellation and Ian saying it could still be classed as possible work if Nintendo don't announce a new console soon (which I'm guessing will be announced at E3 2016). SMS's lack of cancellation still gives me hope, however little it may be :)

Also discussing the Wii U version isn't mind numbing to Nintendo fans as we can't exactly play Project CARS yet! :)
But as of this moment there isn't a Nintendo version to discuss.

Honestly bud, all your answers are in this thread and threads like it, members really are going over and over the same ground telling you guys, if you do a search or even just read this thread everything is explained, whether SMS do or do not do a version for Nintendo only they know, you like us only know what we are told but to keep asking the same thing and for members to keep replying the same thing over and over again is apparently achieving nothing.

Only one guy can answer you guys and if he does great your have your answer but if he doesn't maybe it's time to consider getting a different system or just simply wait as your questions have now been answered more times that necessary.

Robbo-92
28-06-2015, 21:06
Because that entire article is based on the assumption that the Wii U's eDRAM is running at an absurd speed that's faster than the processors could ever utilize. That article has been debunked over and over:

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/wii-u-hardware-discussion-and-investigation-rename.51528/page-273

Ok, I'd not actually read further into it but still, I'd still argue the Wii U is more powerful than last gen consoles and by a fair bit as well (as I feel many Nintendo first party games have shown, Xenoblade Chronicles X springs to mind for a game that must push the console to it's limits), it just seems to have a strange way of extracting top performance which added to the lower power overall is probably one of the main reasons third parties are almost non existent on the Wii U. I'm sure I've read elsewhere that IBM (I think it's IBM who makes the PPC CPU for the Wii U) isn't overly keen in staying in the PPC market so I expect the NX will switch to X86. I think discussion about the Wii U's specs are so rife sometimes due to Nintendo not wanting to release any official specs for it.

But as of this moment there isn't a Nintendo version to discuss.

Honestly bud, all your answers are in this thread and threads like it, members really are going over and over the same ground telling you guys, if you do a search or even just read this thread everything is explained, whether SMS do or do not do a version for Nintendo only they know, you like us only know what we are told but to keep asking the same thing and for members to keep replying the same thing over and over again is apparently achieving nothing.

Only one guy can answer you guys and if he does great your have your answer but if he doesn't maybe it's time to consider getting a different system or just simply wait as your questions have now been answered more times that necessary.

Yeah I know my answers mean nothing in the grand scheme of things but SMS may consider it slightly more if they see there is an active community waiting for news about the Wii U version. Strangely enough I do have a PS4 available (note I don't own it and it's owner uses it an awful lot) so worst case scenario I'll get it for PS4 some months down the line.

321Respawn
28-06-2015, 21:19
What's a Nintendo ?

wraithsrike
28-06-2015, 21:27
Ok, I'd not actually read further into it but still, I'd still argue the Wii U is more powerful than last gen consoles and by a fair bit as well (as I feel many Nintendo first party games have shown, Xenoblade Chronicles X springs to mind for a game that must push the console to it's limits), it just seems to have a strange way of extracting top performance which added to the lower power overall is probably one of the main reasons third parties are almost non existent on the Wii U. I'm sure I've read elsewhere that IBM (I think it's IBM who makes the PPC CPU for the Wii U) isn't overly keen in staying in the PPC market so I expect the NX will switch to X86. I think discussion about the Wii U's specs are so rife sometimes due to Nintendo not wanting to release any official specs for it.

Yeah I know my answers mean nothing in the grand scheme of things but SMS may consider it slightly more if they see there is an active community waiting for news about the Wii U version. Strangely enough I do have a PS4 available (note I don't own it and it's owner uses it an awful lot) so worst case scenario I'll get it for PS4 some months down the line.

I'm not saying your answers mean nothing I'm saying your questions have been answered over and over.

Do you not think they know there is a community awaiting an answer from the team itself, Geez fella they do read the internet.

Robhd
28-06-2015, 21:28
What's a Nintendo ?

An underpowered toy?

Sorry... Can't stand all those ghastly twee games... As an adult they make me want to heave, but I am sure kids love em!

Robbo-92
28-06-2015, 21:30
I'm not saying your answers mean nothing I'm saying your questions have been answered over and over.

Do you not think they know there is a community awaiting an answer from the team itself, Geez fella they do read the internet.

To be honest if the community sat dormant and silent then SMS wouldn't see the genuine passion some Nintendo fans are showing on here and around the web for Project CARS on Wii U.

madmax2069
28-06-2015, 21:31

The thing you seem to fail to realise is that Xenoblade doesnt have all the complex physics and other things going on in the background, yes it has AI and stuff but not everything else, which means they can do more because they dont have to spend CPU resources on other things that PC does.

Robbo-92
28-06-2015, 21:40
The thing you seem to fail to realise is that Xenoblade doesnt have all the complex physics and other things going on in the background, yes it has AI and stuff but not everything else, which means they can do more because they dont have to spend CPU resources on other things that PC does.

I don't fail to realise it at all as I was just using the upcoming Xenoblade game as an example. I do understand that it doesn't have anywhere near as complicated physics engines running in the background but it still looks a superb game on the Wii U, which according to some people is a very weak piece of hardware that produces game's that look barely better than PS3/Xbox 360 games.

wraithsrike
28-06-2015, 21:51
At first I thought you were stand-up kind of guy when you first posted but now the way your simply dragging this thread out I'm starting to think your a troll.

Robbo-92
28-06-2015, 22:03
Out of all the people on here you think I'm a troll? You're free to think whatever you want but it's not like I'm bumping my thread to get views and replies, I'm pretty much just coming back here to reply to people, I actually thought by yesterday this thread had slipped off everyone's radar and I was just going to wait for more news before taking the time to make a new thread.

Steam
28-06-2015, 22:11
Is there even any proper wheel compatible with the Wii U?

o2R Dsquared 07
28-06-2015, 22:55
At first I thought you were stand-up kind of guy when you first posted but now the way your simply dragging this thread out I'm starting to think your a troll.

Don't tell me you only just realised this dude is trolling? I have a strict 'don't feed the troll' policy but if you guys can't see this is trolling in motion...then someone needs to give y'all a shake.

stux
28-06-2015, 23:02
lol what these people never consider is the frame rate drop when it rains :) They are talking about normal weather circumstances with around 20 plus cars to achieve locked 30 fps. But let it rain then you will end up with 10 fps. They are not willing to understand and cannot accept that the Wii U is just not powerful enough.

I doubt that rain would be enabled in a Wii U version.

stux
28-06-2015, 23:13
Have you heard of E3 lately? Nintendo announced a bunch of cool new games for both Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.
http://static.metacritic.com/images/features/2012games/wiiu_box.jpg
If you've been to GameStop, EB Games or other places you'll know they sell Wii Us. Wii U is the successor to Wii. There was some consumer confusion, but I think they already knew and were trying to play dumb.

They stuffed up.

My original Wii broke. I went in to buy a replacement. If I had *known* that the Wii U was out and that it was full backward compatible I would of bought one.

But instead i got a great deal on a black Wii. It was only later I worked out that the reason the deal was so good was because the Wii U was out.

Seriously, their marketing this gen was non existent (at least in Australia)

stux
28-06-2015, 23:19
In my opinion the Nintendo games all look very nice! :) One of the reasons the Wii U had a less than stellar launch was due to to the lack of a must have title, due to this slow start even with great games being released it's never shown signs of catching up to the others which is a shame as it is a good console with a good library of games. I was actually hoping Nintendo would have announced a price cut at this years E3 but that failed to materialise as this would have helped drive sales.

Once again nobody knows how well a sim will sell on a Nintendo platform because there has never been a true racing sim released on a Nintendo platform.

That was kind of the reason I started this thread, to discuss what potentially would need to be downgraded/taken out for it to run on Wii U. As it's currently at 720p/23fps I wouldn't imagine it'd need a lot taking out so the core experience could well be the same across the board which is obviously what SMS would like.

They could make it work by removing one of the tyres from the players car.

Obviously this was regarded as a step too far ;)

stux
28-06-2015, 23:21

Here we agree. An interesting thing with Pcars is that it's one of the few games which can be CPU bound. A powerful gpu won't solve CPU issues

ps: that article is bull.

Bealdor
29-06-2015, 06:30
Stux, the edit button is there for a reason. ;)
No need to make 5(!) posts in a row please.

UMadBro
29-06-2015, 06:42
They stuffed up.

My original Wii broke. I went in to buy a replacement. If I had *known* that the Wii U was out and that it was full backward compatible I would of bought one.

But instead i got a great deal on a black Wii. It was only later I worked out that the reason the deal was so good was because the Wii U was out.

Their marketing division guy quit before the Wii U came out, which is why you didn't see any marketing in Australia. But, oh, I sure did. On the internet.

mrbrownnose
29-06-2015, 07:14
Will Pcars2 be out on phones and tablets?:very_drunk:

Wolfe
29-06-2015, 07:15
Out of all the people on here you think I'm a troll? You're free to think whatever you want but it's not like I'm bumping my thread to get views and replies, I'm pretty much just coming back here to reply to people, I actually thought by yesterday this thread had slipped off everyone's radar and I was just going to wait for more news before taking the time to make a new thread.
It's not your fault if others lack the self-control to avoid participating in a thread with a subject they don't want to hear about.

They stuffed up.

The name is possibly the worst thing to have happened to it. With the original Wii it was just weird, but I couldn't believe it when they followed up with "Wii U". Even "Wii 2" would have been a considerable improvement.

I read somewhere that the 'U' part of the logo is supposed to be a finger pressing the touchscreen, which would have been forever lost on me if someone hadn't pointed it out. In combination with the pronoun pun, Nintendo tried too hard to be "clever" about it.

UMadBro
29-06-2015, 07:20
It's not your fault if others lack the self-control to avoid participating in a thread with a subject they don't want to hear about.

The name is possibly the worst thing to have happened to it. With the original Wii it was just weird, but I couldn't believe it when they followed up with "Wii U". Even "Wii 2" would have been a considerable improvement.

I read somewhere that the 'U' part of the logo is supposed to be a finger pressing the touchscreen, which would have been forever lost on me if someone hadn't pointed it out. In combination with the pronoun pun, Nintendo tried too hard to be "clever" about it.

I knew straight from the moment the Wii U was the successor to the Wii.

rbmoura
29-06-2015, 07:24
Ok, I've had enough.

Im sure its wonderfull to know theres all this complicated phisycs going on on your tires, but at the end, all this complicated physics kinda cancel each other and, sorry, but it doesnt make the astronomical diference in the moment that u gotta change the tyres, in comparison to other simplier tyre models...u just got upset because ive put some "reality check" into your head

As ian bell has said himself, the wii u is more then capable to provide the "core experience" of project cars, so, yes, go race, and stop dedicating yourself to opposing the wii u version of the game, its not u who are going to enjoy the game, regardless of how "inferior" it might be. Its me and i will appreciate very much everything SMS manage to achieve.

Good bye, im out.

Wolfe
29-06-2015, 07:49
Im sure its wonderfull to know theres all this complicated phisycs going on on your tires, but at the end, all this complicated physics kinda cancel each other and, sorry, but it doesnt make the astronomical diference in the moment that u gotta change the tyres, in comparison to other simplier tyre models...u just got upset because ive put some "reality check" into your head

As ian bell has said himself, the wii u is more then capable to provide the "core experience" of project cars, so, yes, go race, and stop dedicating yourself to opposing the wii u version of the game, its not u who are going to enjoy the game, regardless of how "inferior" it might be. Its me and i will appreciate very much everything SMS manage to achieve.

Good bye, im out.
Although I would be happy enough with the Brush Tire Model, if it was the pivotal element to allow SMS to complete the Wii U version (even as a stickler for physics and handling dynamics)...the tire model is a very significant part of a sim and it does make considerable differences in the way a sim plays. In my experience, the difference between tire models is most noticable at high slip angles and in oversteer situations, and even some respected racing sims fall apart in those cases due to shortcomings in their tire model. For drifting, it's best to have the most accurate tire model possible.

PCARS was originally built around the BTM, and Ian has said that returning to the BTM for the Wii U version is not completely out of the question, but it wouldn't quite be the same simulation, which is why it's not their first choice for a solution.

rbmoura
29-06-2015, 09:13
Although I would be happy enough with the Brush Tire Model, if it was the pivotal element to allow SMS to complete the Wii U version (even as a stickler for physics and handling dynamics)...the tire model is a very significant part of a sim and it does make considerable differences in the way a sim plays. In my experience, the difference between tire models is most noticable at high slip angles and in oversteer situations, and even some respected racing sims fall apart in those cases due to shortcomings in their tire model. For drifting, it's best to have the most accurate tire model possible.

PCARS was originally built around the BTM, and Ian has said that returning to the BTM for the Wii U version is not completely out of the question, but it wouldn't quite be the same simulation, which is why it's not their first choice for a solution.

Thanks, and sorry for getting a little irritated. This bashing and excessive depreciating of the wii u hardware sometimes annoys too much. I appreciate every element of simulation of this game, but im prepared to accept a simplier version for the wii u if it ever comes out.

Its a wonderfull, deep, game and im not buying another console, nor playing on pc.

SpitTake
29-06-2015, 09:21
You don't really get to decide whether or not you want to make it or not. Some people backed Project Cars with the expectation that they receive a Wii U version

Ian Bell
29-06-2015, 10:22
You don't really get to decide whether or not you want to make it or not. Some people backed Project Cars with the expectation that they receive a Wii U version

Please tell me who that was?

We had an approach from four people, after we'd stopped taking in funding, after we announced we'd try to make a WiiU version asking about it. All four, even though being honest and telling us they didn't fund because of WiiU, were offered a full refund.

Please be careful what you post.

Toxic
29-06-2015, 11:20

Is that comment aimed at SMS?

If so... the weather is lovely on my planet today, how is it on yours?

UMadBro
29-06-2015, 11:34
Please tell me who that was?

We had an approach from four people, after we'd stopped taking in funding, after we announced we'd try to make a WiiU version asking about it. All four, even though being honest and telling us they didn't fund because of WiiU, were offered a full refund.

Please be careful what you post.

You went along with us, hyped us up, then you announced you were moving to the PS4 and Xbox One, they (the Wii U users) felt like they have been stabbed in the back. Even though some of us didn't fund the game itself, we're most likely having the game skip Wii U, just like all other games and dev companies calling the Wii U 'underpowered' and calling out Nintendo, even making fun of us. You did joke around quite a fair bit, thus offending some members of the Wii U community. Me? I'm tough as nuts.

OrenIshii BE
29-06-2015, 11:43
then you announced you were moving to the PS4 and Xbox One

like i mentioned before, it is unfortunate
but i suggest you move on as well, you're just wasting time and effort discussing a Wii U version.

Ian Bell
29-06-2015, 11:54
Drivel post above.

The members voted for the move to next gen.

Aldo Zampatti
29-06-2015, 17:34
Drivel post above.

The members voted for the move to next gen.

I must relate that I voted against moving to next-gen consoles, but a few weeks after poll closed (next-gen won) I was all-in with the Next-Gen work. My mind changed 180 degrees and luckily the members voted next-gen. I'm thankful of those votes.

Even if I weren't still not confident with that, I got the refund choice which was CLEARLY offered. So I must back Ian here. SMS didn't ventured on their own decisions, WMD did.

swansea_karl
06-07-2015, 20:21
Any news on the Wii U version?

Bealdor
06-07-2015, 20:25
Threads merged (I know this one's closed).

This has been discussed to death already, feel free to browse through this thread.