PDA

View Full Version : Tunes keep resetting to default

ciderman9000000
17-06-2015, 19:36
Can somebody please explain the process of saving tunes during practice and perhaps give me an indication of what I'm doing wrong here?

I'm racing GT3 career and have been trying to set up a tune for the first event at Leguna Seca. I'll go into practice and do a few laps on default settings, then I'll return to the garage and adjust tyre pressures/suspension etc. to give myself a better ride before heading out to do a few more laps.

Now, when I return to the garage the second time and upon entering tuning settings, instead of my first set of changes remaining in place my car seems to have magically reverted to defaults again. To further fine tune my car then I'm having to remember all my initial changes first, something which usually proves to be impossible.

By the time the practice session is over I've invariably made very little headway since I've found myself constantly battling to remember all previous changes upon each visit to the garage.

What am I doing wrong here? Why do any changes I make reset to default every time I enter the garage?

I'm new to tuning and am very keen to learn but just can't get my head around how to keep changes I've made.

Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

ciderman9000000
17-06-2015, 22:05
Nobody?

Mr.Smoke
17-06-2015, 22:10
Are you certain you are saving the changes & not exiting without saving? Ive had zero issues with tuning variables resetting to default.

Schnizz58
17-06-2015, 22:13
You realize there's a bug there right? It was partially fixed in 1.4 but there are still cases where the settings aren't saved. Maybe try doing your tuning in free practice rather than the race practice session.

Mellowyellow
17-06-2015, 22:36
I've had this happen occasionally when changed a setup in free practice (main menu). Gear ratios are the clue that something strange has changed! Either all set short as possible or long as possible!

ciderman9000000
17-06-2015, 22:36
Are you certain you are saving the changes & not exiting without saving? Ive had zero issues with tuning variables resetting to default.

Yeah the changes are in effect when I head out onto the track from the garage, but when I return to the garage for further fine-tuning everything is reset to default again.

You realize there's a bug there right? It was partially fixed in 1.4 but there are still cases where the settings aren't saved. Maybe try doing your tuning in free practice rather than the race practice session.

A bug? Seriously?

FFS!

Schnizz58
17-06-2015, 22:43
Well I thought there was...I can't find the thread now so maybe I'm talking out of my ass or was thinking of a different issue.

ETA: Found it 4th or 5th post -> http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30887-PC-Patch-1-4-Release-notes

ciderman9000000
17-06-2015, 22:48
It'd be easier to make a thread of things that work in this game. That'd be a very short OP.

ex_
18-06-2015, 02:19
You realize there's a bug there right?

that's just it. It takes a lot of research in this game to figure out how to configure it, and so it is not so easy to know when something is a "bug" and when it is user error. Then, one must research for hours on many opinions of users and devs about what may be wrong...

no. Most people don't know what all the "known bugs" are, and don't have the time to spend trying to learn. I want to play my game. That's really all I want!!!

Schnizz58
18-06-2015, 04:02
@ex

I feel you but it is what it is. We can either do the best we can with what we've got or we can sit around and gripe about it. I did a fair amount of griping and then I decided to just get on with it and become part of the solution instead of part of the problem. I just installed 1.4 a little while ago and at first I was upset that it felt so bad. 30 minutes of tweaking helped immeasurably and now I'm feeling things in the tracks that I didn't even know were there. And I'm learning stuff in the process which is always a good thing. This game has soooo much potential. If it didn't I'd have walked away from it weeks ago. But I think it's going to be special. Heck it's special now and it still has a lot of room for improvement. In the technology business this is what is known as disruptive. It makes all the competition rethink things. Notice that Forza isn't even really trying to compete with this. They're heading off in a different direction to carve out their piece of the pie because they can't compete with this.

ciderman9000000
18-06-2015, 05:22
But I think it's going to be special. Heck it's special now.

Nice motivational speech, but in what sense is the game special? I can't even tune my car. A fairly fundamental aspect of a racing sim, wouldn't you say? Yet in pCars it just doesn't work. Special needs, perhaps.

Why do you have such blind faith in SMS to one day get the game working? Every day I come across new bugs —really bad bugs— and every patch released after an eternity of waiting seems to provide a half fix for one thing whilst breaking another.

Since downloading v1.4 yesterday my car won't even enter the pits at Leguna Seca, it just drives right through and comes to a stop on the track on the other side.

'Don't worry, we'll fix that in v1.5'

So what's that then, another month or so before I'm even able to enter the pits at Leguna Seca? I can't tune and I can't pit. Well that does the world of good for my hopes of continuing anytime soon my already broken and boring solo career. What's so special about this game other than its special ability to ensure that everything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and that every long-awaited partial fix entirely breaks something else?

Why such faith in SMS to get things right eventually then? What are you basing that on? IMO they've clearly demonstrated that they're just not capable.

ex_
18-06-2015, 17:01
all games, especially racing games, are putting our fixes for fixes and other fixes, for at least a year post-release. SMS' situation is nothing new, but they do appear to be suffering through different challenges than the larger, more established franchises. However, I do not fault them for that, as this is their first major "go" at this type of a title doing things on their own.

There is every reason to believe that major bugs like this one will get fixed. It isn't the type of thing any company would just ignore and say "well, when our next game comes out...."

Just be thankful that games can be updated very easily and frequently via the internet!!!

Schnizz58
18-06-2015, 17:12
Why do you have such blind faith in SMS to one day get the game working?
Because it's the only productive thing I know to do. Things will either get fixed to our satisfaction or they won't. I'm going to act as if they will and try to make the best of it in the meantime. If you have a better idea, I'm open for suggestions.

ciderman9000000
18-06-2015, 17:35
all games, especially racing games, are putting our fixes for fixes and other fixes, for at least a year post-release. SMS' situation is nothing new, but they do appear to be suffering through different challenges than the larger, more established franchises. However, I do not fault them for that, as this is their first major "go" at this type of a title doing things on their own.

There is every reason to believe that major bugs like this one will get fixed. It isn't the type of thing any company would just ignore and say "well, when our next game comes out...."

Just be thankful that games can be updated very easily and frequently via the internet!!!

Even if it were an excuse, though all games do have bugs, all games certainly do not have bugs which fundamentally compromise the legitimacy of the experience as pCars does. So many of them too; a great many major bugs. As I said though, it's no excuse to say that 'other games do it too'. If this was a beta release (and it clearly is, there can be no argument about that) then it ought to have been advertised as such. IMO as consumers we have a responsibility to make our complaints known if we have them, because otherwise the situation with incomplete games being released under the guise of a working product will only worsen over time.

Schnizz58
18-06-2015, 17:58
Even if it were an excuse, though all games do have bugs, all games certainly do not have bugs which fundamentally compromise the legitimacy of the experience as pCars does. So many of them too; a great many major bugs. As I said though, it's no excuse to say that 'other games do it too'. If this was a beta release (and it clearly is, there can be no argument about that) then it ought to have been advertised as such. IMO as consumers we have a responsibility to make our complaints known if we have them, because otherwise the situation with incomplete games being released under the guise of a working product will only worsen over time.
You're quite correct that some of the issues have been inexcusable. However we are where we are. We can't change that fact, we can only try our best to offer constructive feedback. I think we've done a lot of that and SMS have responded in a very transparent and open manner. They've owned up to a lot of the mistakes (some others maybe not so much). At the same time there's been a lot of just plain bitching from us the user community. I'm not pointing fingers because I've done it myself. After a certain point, it's no longer constructive anymore.

I'm in the software business and so I have some empathy for what Ian and his team are going through. My software controls traffic and so when things go wrong, it can lead to massive congestion and in the worst case people die. Believe me, that's no fun. Software is complicated stuff these days and things do go sideways sometimes. Not trying to make excuses for Ian and SMS, just recognizing the reality of the situation. At least nobody is going to die from these issues.