PDA

View Full Version : [SEE PATCH 2.0] Playstation 4 button box

Pages : [1] 2 3

CPS-3
17-06-2015, 21:32
All of you who would like a button box, follow the link to the official Playstation support forum and reply in that topic AND hit that like button
The more people they see that would like a button box the more chance it will happen.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/Playstation-4-button-box/td-p/45224499

This topic is only for people who share this idea. If you want other things such as keyboard support or second controller, please make another thread and let's keep this one for the sole purpose what the title says. Thanks

Pink_650S
17-06-2015, 21:33
Whats a button box?

McKiernan
17-06-2015, 21:35
Whats a button box?

It's a box with buttons on it :p

Pink_650S
17-06-2015, 21:37
It's a box with buttons on it :p

What would l need that for?

CPS-3
17-06-2015, 21:38
Like he said :D
It's just a box with buttons so we can map more stuff to the buttons since we PS4 users have not enough buttons to map everything we would like.

McKiernan
17-06-2015, 21:40
What would l need that for?

Sorry I'm a little drunk & think I'm more funny than I actually am. A button box would basically provide extra buttons so functions (like DRS, KERS or whatever) could be mapped to them as there are not enough buttons on controllers or wheels. Sorry for the poor explaanation.

Pink_650S
17-06-2015, 21:43
Ohhh, so really just an external box with additional buttons? :eek:
I dont know. I would prefer something you can mount on the controller :)

PS: The link is not working for me.

McKiernan
17-06-2015, 21:45

Something like these http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/button-controllers.html

They're popular with PC sim racers.

madmax2069
17-06-2015, 21:46
This would really be up to the developer to add to the game, not sony. As support is really already there, it would just need to be added at the game level (as SONY left it up to the developers on what gets supported in a game).

CPS-3
17-06-2015, 21:48
The link is working fine with me though. Don't know why it isn't working at your end
And yes an external box with additional buttons :) Post your idea in that topic as well. A button box for DS4 users would come in handy too i guess.

CPS-3
17-06-2015, 21:51
This would really be up to the developer to add to the game, not sony. As support is really already there, it would just need to be added at the game level (as SONY left it up to the developers on what gets sWell someupported in a game).

Well somebody has to develop it, I don't really care who does it :) But If nobody starts to do something about it nothing will happen. That's why I started the two threads.

And if it's up to the developer what does that have to say with upcoming racegames like AC. If I follow your theory we would end up buying a button box for every sim racer since it's up to the developer to create them.

graveltrap
17-06-2015, 22:19
Isn't this really something for the wheel manufacturers to deal with!? It would be a very niche product but a few more buttons wouldn't go amiss ;)

madmax2069
17-06-2015, 22:22
Isn't this really something for the wheel manufacturers to deal with!? It would be a very niche product but a few more buttons wouldn't go amiss ;)

Not really. As more then just wheel manufacturers make button boxes for more then just racing games.

Well somebody has to develop it, I don't really care who does it :) But If nobody starts to do something about it nothing will happen. That's why I started the two threads.

And if it's up to the developer what does that have to say with upcoming racegames like AC. If I follow your theory we would end up buying a button box for every sim racer since it's up to the developer to create them.

Nothing really needs to be developed seeing that the PS4 already has USB keyboard support, and most button boxes are seen as a keyboard with a lot fewer buttons. it is just basically trying to get the game developer to enable support for other devices (like keyboards and such) in the game.

SpaceMonkeySalo
18-06-2015, 00:58
Why not just allow a second controller to be used? Admittedly not as cool as a button box but double the buttons and easy to implement, I would have thought?

Fre.Mo
18-06-2015, 04:53
Such box would be great

Katilla
18-06-2015, 06:11
Box = super idea
but it 100-150 EU
additional costs !!!

Why not support a second control ??

Steering wheel + yojstic
= Double buttons

Everyone is!

I recommend
second controller support for Pcars

opportunity exists
eg. PS3 and it works GT6

Please WMD team
answer
this is such an opportunity?

Thank you!

daddyboosive
18-06-2015, 06:22
It won't happen. Consoles aren't as configurable as pc's for a start.

vonb
18-06-2015, 06:41
Why you open the support link on the Playstation Site?

As i now, Sony allows to use external keyboards on the PS4.

So i think its on SMS to allow us to assign additional buttons to the external keyboard.

To allow as second controller will not work, i think.
If you use a wheel, the controller has no function in the game.

If we can assign the buttons to a external keyboard, we can just buy a cheap keyboard or make a diy buttonbox, or if you want to spend more money, just buy one from Derek Spears.

CPS-3
18-06-2015, 09:02
@daddyboosive
It is certainly doable. On ps3 you could use a DIY button box, so why would't it work with PS4... You saying "Consoles aren't as configurable as pc's for a start" is just nonsense. It's just a button box or like some others imply keyboard support, it's not rocket science.
@vonb
The title of this topic is PS4 button box, so why respond if you don't like the idea? I want a button box and not use a keyboard, simple as that.
Make yourself another thread that says " Keyboard support PS4"
The reason I started a topic on the Playstation Support site is also in my OP----> The twitter pic.

@Katilla
As for a second controller, how does that work exactly? ON a wheel you have more or less the same buttons as a controller. But for example if I map cross button on the wheel to KERS and I want to use the cross button on the controller for something else, the cross button already has been assigned so i highly doubt that the game will map another cross button.

Katilla
18-06-2015, 09:39
@ cps

OK got it
only idea is

I do not understand him

but

if you have 2 controllers (wheels & yoj)
We are what separate
then why not be assigned to another button?
10 wheels = function
10 other controller functions

if the same
not good
then
these? + 8 funktions

these
no
the wheel

CPS-3
18-06-2015, 09:47
Honestly I don't have any idea what you just said :) But it doesn't really matter since a wheel and DS4 are not useable at the same time and I highly doubt it would work.

Katilla
18-06-2015, 10:17
@CPS

but why not ??

PS3 / GT6 works!

controller setting -- secondary or primary

obsolete PS3 technology?

Katilla
18-06-2015, 10:24
but!

I would like to buttonbox or keyboard support!

I'm with CPS!

We are waiting for WMD response

CPS-3
18-06-2015, 10:25
I haven't played GT6 so i don't know how that works. And i didn't understand what you were saying.
All i know is that wheel + controller doesn't work in Driveclub or project CARS.
But even it could work i still would prefer a button box, and that's what this topics about. If you want other things, please make another thread and let's keep this one for the sole purpose what the title says. Thanks

Katilla
18-06-2015, 10:29
I am sorry
Sorry
I'm stupid
I look forward buttonbox! and I buy two!

SpaceMonkeySalo
18-06-2015, 10:43
Having a wheel and controller working at the same wouldn't be an issue. It would work the same as having two controllers on at the same time, like you would in a game of street fighter playing two player. SMS would just have to change the config screen to accommodate the extra buttons, but for the talented guys and gals working there I doubt that would be a problem? Then you could use the guts from a dualshock 4 inside a box, do a bit of custom wiring and Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt a button box!

CPS-3
18-06-2015, 11:40
I am sorry
Sorry
I'm stupid
I look forward buttonbox! and I buy two!

No problem. Please go to the link in the first post and click on the thumbs up button

JessicaWalter
18-06-2015, 11:53
im down with the button box. i already have a second controller tho so id prefer support for dual controllers.

honestly the only thing i need is an analog clutch as i have it set to L1 right now and use the right stick for shifting. neither of the above would solve that. i wish i had room for wheel/pedals

CPS-3
18-06-2015, 12:01
im down with the button box. i already have a second controller tho so id prefer support for dual controllers.

honestly the only thing i need is an analog clutch as i have it set to L1 right now and use the right stick for shifting. neither of the above would solve that. i wish i had room for wheel/pedals

A wheel and a wheelstand or Playseat Challenge doesn't take up that much space when folded. Maybe that's an option for you.

Rambo_Commando
18-06-2015, 18:40
Button box is a good idea but the most efficient approach would be to implement a "shift" button. When depressed the cross button, or any other, now serves another purpose.

madmax2069
18-06-2015, 18:52
I haven't played GT6 so i don't know how that works. And i didn't understand what you were saying.
All i know is that wheel + controller doesn't work in Driveclub or project CARS.
But even it could work i still would prefer a button box, and that's what this topics about. If you want other things, please make another thread and let's keep this one for the sole purpose what the title says. Thanks

See what you're failing to realize is that this would be one in the same thing regardless of if its by a button box, keyboard, or using a second controller.

We just need to get the devs to add or enable extra device support on project cars on PS4, and xbox one.

You do know that most button boxes act and are seen as a keyboard, so you add keyboard support for extra buttons it will bring with it button box support. Many DIY boxes use the internals of old USB controllers.

Fanapryde
19-06-2015, 13:50
I DO WANT to be able to use a button box, better today than tomorrow !
There are so many functions (thanks devs) and I am not able to use them because my wheel has not enough buttons.

Slicker_VR
19-06-2015, 15:37
to be honest, i don't care for the idea of a ps4-specific (licenced by sony) button box, as it would inevitably cost far more than a cheap usb keyboard. so i reckon either of the two options mentioned in this thread would be more acceptable and much more likely to happen. it's down to sms to add usb keyboard and/or second controller option to the game imo.
please...

Slicker_VR
19-06-2015, 15:39
oh, and as a bonus, keyboard support would automatically mean that any usb button box would work as well, i think

Fanapryde
19-06-2015, 16:06
to be honest, i don't care for the idea of a ps4-specific (licenced by sony) button box, as it would inevitably cost far more than a cheap usb keyboard. so i reckon either of the two options mentioned in this thread would be more acceptable and much more likely to happen. it's down to sms to add usb keyboard and/or second controller option to the game imo.
please...
Button box (from whatever manufacturer) will be much easier to use than a keyboard while racing.
It can also have rotary switches, two-way switches etc, something that a keyboard does not have.

wyldanimal
19-06-2015, 16:25
The Simple Solution is USB Keyboard Support in the Game So you can assign a Function to ANY key on the KeyBoard

With USB keyboard support in the game, it opens up a Whole World of Possibilities.
There are many standard USB keyborads that can be used then..

This for example
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834995516

and Also to Allow 2 controllers.

A wheel and a DS4 or 2 DS4's

Yes, it can be done.
In GT6, I can Have a Wheel and the DS3 active, and then Assign functions to the DS3 Buttons.
the Wheel for Driving, and the DS3 for the extra buttons works like a charm.

tmitch45
19-06-2015, 17:24
Box = super idea
but it 100-150 EU
additional costs !!!

Why not support a second control ??

Steering wheel + yojstic
= Double buttons

Everyone is!

I recommend
second controller support for Pcars

opportunity exists
eg. PS3 and it works GT6

Please WMD team
answer
this is such an opportunity?

Thank you!

I agree and then if you really want a button box you buy a second hand DS4 controller and turn that into a button box like people did on ps3

tmitch45
19-06-2015, 17:35
So when we get the ability to use a DS4 controller and a wheel at the same time you can do something like this:-

https://marcushwang.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/how-to-build-a-button-box-for-ps3-and-pc/

CPS-3
19-06-2015, 21:11
People please, read the OP when you reply to a thread. This is for people who want a button box. If you want something else make another topic and start the conversation there.
The keyboard is also a good option, but i prefer a button box and that's why I started this thread.

madmax2069
19-06-2015, 21:21
People please, read the OP when you reply to a thread. This is for people who want a button box. If you want something else make another topic and start the conversation there.
The keyboard is also a good option, but i prefer a button box and that's why I started this thread.

Like I said before it doesn't matter if its a second controller, a keyboard, or a button box. They are asking for the same darned thing regardless of what the device is. A button box is basically a keyboard, most are seen and used as a keyboard, a few DIY button boxes use generic USB controllers, heck some DIY button boxes use the insides of a keyboard.

So again regardless if they're asking for a controller, or a keyboard they're asking for the same darned thing.

Just about every button box that ive seen require no software to run and use basic USB communication protocols (meaning if the device has a USB port a button box will work). There is nothing special they would have to do to the game to get a button box to work over a keyboard. So of they enabled keyboard support it would automatically bring button box support.

Fanapryde
19-06-2015, 21:31
So again regardless if they're asking for a controller, or a keyboard they're asking for the same darned thing.

Just about every button box that ive seen require no software to run and use basic USB communication protocols (meaning if the device has a USB port a button box will work). There is nothing special they would have to do to the game to get a button box to work over a keyboard.
Beg to differ.
I have never seen keyboards that have rotary switches, two way switches, switches with safety caps or even space to label...
A button box is very specific and can be hard mounted to a rig, so it is easy to operate while racing with a wheel. Try that with a controller or keyboard...

madmax2069
20-06-2015, 07:52
Beg to differ.
I have never seen keyboards that have rotary switches, two way switches, switches with safety caps or even space to label...
A button box is very specific and can be hard mounted to a rig, so it is easy to operate while racing with a wheel. Try that with a controller or keyboard...

A button box isnt as specific as you want to believe. All button boxes can be made using keyboard internals, or even a generic USB controller, or a tool board (all of which requires no additional software to make work because it uses a standard USB protocol)

A two way toggle, even a rotary switch can be wired up to a keyboards internal board, but without the keyboards length. And just because it might be seen as a keyboard doesnt mean it can only be used for on off switches.

You might think a button box requires special software, but it doesn't.

If a device has USB ports it can use a button box, unless such things are blocked by the devices software, But on PS4, heck even PS3 can use them without much hastle (just as long as the game itself supports multiple input devices like keyboards, generic USB controllers and so on, as support is already there on PS4).

You're just not seeing the big picture.

Just look at this http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1078636

Its a button box made with a generic USB controller and a project box. it has a rotary dial, switch with safety cap, and other buttons. he could have even put a two way switch if he wanted (a two way switch is nothing special).

Fanapryde
20-06-2015, 08:15
You might think a button box requires special software, but it doesn't....

You're just not seeing the big picture......
Some do, but anyway, I am aware of all this. The link you posted shows a selfmade BUTTON BOX.

Great (not that I am capable of making one myself), but there are a lot of very nice dashboards and button boxes to use in racing games, together wit a wheel. And in fact: THAT is what I want to use.
For now, none of the BB's on the market can be used on PS3/PS4 in combination with a racing game/sim, right ?

Sprite20001
20-06-2015, 08:31
Some do, but anyway, I am aware of all this. The link you posted shows a selfmade BUTTON BOX.

Great (not that I am capable of making one myself), but there are a lot of very nice dashboards and button boxes to use in racing games, together wit a wheel. And in fact: THAT is what I want to use.
For now, none of the BB's on the market can be used on PS3/PS4 in combination with a racing game/sim, right ?

You just don't get the point of what madmax2069, it is that what you want, because a lot of the BB's out there are working like an USB keyboard, you will be able to use them if a keyboard is supported.

Not all of them because that will be not possible on PS4, but it is the best way to use a BB on this console.

Fanapryde
20-06-2015, 09:34
You just don't get the point of what madmax2069, it is that what you want, because a lot of the BB's out there are working like an USB keyboard, you will be able to use them if a keyboard is supported.

Not all of them because that will be not possible on PS4, but it is the best way to use a BB on this console.
OK, please tell me how any of the button boxes on the market can be used on a PS3 or PS4 (while keyboards are supported) in racing games ?
All of the manufacturers - I know of - specifically state that their boxes CAN'T be used on consoles !

Anyway, I don't care how they do it, or who has to do it for that matter, but what I want (and many others I guess) is to be able to use a button box together with my wheel on PS4/Project Cars, so I can play the game using all the available options...

Gaz B 007
20-06-2015, 10:54
One bad thing about wheels on consoles is you always run out of buttons to map, I'd welcome a button box for sure.

CPS-3
20-06-2015, 11:46
Madmax, I understand perfectly what you are saying, but I can't make myself a BB and I just want to buy one.
I understand that SMS just has to enable keyboard support for us and that we can use a keyboard or BB.
But the reason I started this thread was to get votes and let Sony see that there are plenty of people who want a BB developed that works perfectly with PS4.
Saying that if Sony has to develop it it will cost more money, well I came across some very expensive BB already without the name Sony on it.

And that's why I said several times that if you guys want keyboard support or something else, make another thread where people can discuss that. And leave this one for people who want a BB.
Like I said i understand that keyboard support=BBsupport, but this is for us people who wants a BB developed or made.

Too bad we only got 7 votes so far on the PS support forum, seeing the thread has over 1000 views

Wayfastwhitey26
20-06-2015, 13:13
Just allow us to use keyboards in game...tons of buttons

Slicker_VR
20-06-2015, 13:29
Like I said before it doesn't matter if its a second controller, a keyboard, or a button box. They are asking for the same darned thing regardless of what the device is. A button box is basically a keyboard, most are seen and used as a keyboard, a few DIY button boxes use generic USB controllers, heck some DIY button boxes use the insides of a keyboard.

Just about every button box that ive seen require no software to run and use basic USB communication protocols (meaning if the device has a USB port a button box will work). There is nothing special they would have to do to the game to get a button box to work over a keyboard. So of they enabled keyboard support it would automatically bring button box support.

some of the peeps in this thread don't seem to understand this - not sure why - it's been said about 6 times :confused:

CPS-3
20-06-2015, 13:45
Are you serious??? I just said 2 post back that I completely understand and think the most do. But we want a button box made that works perfectly with ps4. Sure the keyboard allowance will work as well if SMS enabled it for us, BUT this thread isn't for that.

If they allowed keyboards then a button box works as well, I understand that by now.... like I said several times.

But once again, this thread is NOT for SMS to allow keyboards but to vote on the PS support forum for a BB being developed for PS4 that works perfectly. A DIY is not for me, and there a so many BB available...

We just want a BB for PS4 that we don't have to customize or something like that to make it work and run smooth and without errors.

The Title of this topic is "PS4 button box"

If you want SMS to allow keyboards, make another thread thats says " Please SMS, allow PS4 users to use keyboards" or something like that. They will notice it a lot sooner then discussing it in a topic that is about people wanting a BB.

madmax2069
20-06-2015, 17:26
Are you serious??? I just said 2 post back that I completely understand and think the most do. But we want a button box made that works perfectly with ps4. Sure the keyboard allowance will work as well if SMS enabled it for us, BUT this thread isn't for that.

If they allowed keyboards then a button box works as well, I understand that by now.... like I said several times.

But once again, this thread is NOT for SMS to allow keyboards but to vote on the PS support forum for a BB being developed for PS4 that works perfectly. A DIY is not for me, and there a so many BB available...

We just want a BB for PS4 that we don't have to customize or something like that to make it work and run smooth and without errors.

The Title of this topic is "PS4 button box"

If you want SMS to allow keyboards, make another thread thats says " Please SMS, allow PS4 users to use keyboards" or something like that. They will notice it a lot sooner then discussing it in a topic that is about people wanting a BB.

Again it sails right over your head.

Fanapryde
20-06-2015, 17:57
Again it sails right over your head.do you even read answers ?
My guess is that the ignorant one is you.
Once again: it does not matter if they allow keyboards or not.
If they do, button boxes WILL NOT WORK as far as manufacturers state.
Though I have not tried myself, why should I doubt ?
I can use my KB on PS4, even navigate (to a certain point) in the PCars menu's.
I could on my PS3 / GT6 too, but that does not mean BB's are working.
How hard is that to understand ?

madmax2069
20-06-2015, 18:49
do you even read answers ?
My guess is that the ignorant one is you.
Once again: it does not matter if they allow keyboards or not.
If they do, button boxes WILL NOT WORK as far as manufacturers state.
Though I have not tried myself, why should I doubt ?
I can use my KB on PS4, even navigate (to a certain point) in the PCars menu's.
I could on my PS3 / GT6 too, but that does not mean BB's are working.
How hard is that to understand ?

1. Yes I do read them
2. So we resort to throwing around insults around when we dont like the answers
3. Yes actually it would, but obviously not if they're not fully supported in game (which most console games dont have full support, let alone for multiple input devices).
4. Most console games only support controllers (and some like this game dont support more then one input), and this is what those manufacturers see and go by, you'd be really surprised on what consoles do support out of the box, especially when a game allows it.
5. Again most console games dont support additional input devices.
6. Many people used button boxes on GT5/GT6 on PS3 on their racing setup, both DIY and manufactured, again how could this be
7. Obviously I understand a deal more then you do about this subject.

CPS-3
20-06-2015, 18:56
Again it sails right over your head.

Explain what is sailing over my head...

Fanapryde
20-06-2015, 21:35
1. Yes I do read them
2. So we resort to throwing around insults around when we dont like the answers
3. Yes actually it would, but obviously not if they're not fully supported in game (which most console games dont have full support, let alone for multiple input devices).
4. Most console games only support controllers (and some like this game dont support more then one input), and this is what those manufacturers see and go by, you'd be really surprised on what consoles do support out of the box, especially when a game allows it.
5. Again most console games dont support additional input devices.
6. Many people used button boxes on GT5/GT6 on PS3 on their racing setup, both DIY and manufactured, again how could this be
7. Obviously I understand a deal more then you do about this subject.

Well, English not being my first language, I may have used the wrong words ? By ignorant I meant that you failed to comprehend what was stated in OP. It was not meant as an insult. If it sounds like that I would apologize.

It is irrelevant whether I do or do not like the answers, but I like them being backed up with facts.
I know that DIY boxes can be used on consoles, as long as they are based on the internals of controllers.
I have no knowledge of manufactured off the shelve button boxes working on consoles, nor did I find proof of that on the internet.
Once again: manufacturers of button boxes I found, state that their boxes do not work on consoles (which you seem to agree with in your points 3-4-5).

For point 7: you could be right about that, I have very little knowledge about electronics, but could you show me ONE manufactured button box that works on consoles ?

Edit: from the SRH site: """Do your products work on PlayStation / Xbox ?
None of our products currently work with any consoles…. only PC’s"""

Katilla
22-06-2015, 14:26
available
licensed
device

1. wheel
2. controller (joy)

wheel = primary controller
joy = secondary controller

WMD or sony Is It Possible?

wyldanimal
23-06-2015, 19:47
A rotary Switch or 2 position switch, is nothing more than simulating Keyboard Key presses..

example: if a rotary swtich has 10 positions.
wire each position to the Keys like, a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j

each turn of the rotary switch, then sends a different keyboard key.

a two position toggle, use two key like R, S
in one position it sends an R in the other position it Send an S

Use the GUTS of the Keyboard, and some wires to all of your Switches, and Each Switch, Button, Rotary swtich,
is them sending a Key Stroke..

The Box can be built to LOOK anyway you want it...
but Inside, it's still just the guts of a Keyboard circuit, sending Key Strokes.

So if pCars enabled USB KeyBoard support.
There would Be Many Different Button Boxes built you could by..

you don' t have to DIY do it yourself,

all we are saying is give us USB keyboard support, and the rest will happen..

edit:
we'd have the Best of both worlds...
On the Low cost end, a simple USB key pad for under $20 gives 16 to 20 extra buttons to assign...

on the Sim / High end, Custom Button Boxes in the $150 to $500 range would crop up.
with the look and feel of a race car Panel....

geb69
23-06-2015, 20:25
And the DS4 option as second controller, please - as every wheel user has one ($0) and has it in reach (to enter text and shutdown the game or console).

Umer Ahmad
24-06-2015, 15:13
This would really be up to the developer to add to the game, not sony. As support is really already there, it would just need to be added at the game level (as SONY left it up to the developers on what gets supported in a game).

It won't happen. Consoles aren't as configurable as pc's for a start.

but!

I would like to buttonbox or keyboard support!

I'm with CPS!

We are waiting for WMD response

Just allow us to use keyboards in game...tons of buttons

DONE. READ PATCH 2.0 NOTES in my signature. SMS has added support for all active controllers in the game meaning you can simoultaneously use wheel/pedals with gamepad, keyboard and (to be confirmed) generic USB button-boxes AS LONG AS THE PS4 CAN RECOGNIZE THEM.

Say thanks!

Fanapryde
24-06-2015, 15:25
Thanks thanks thanks thanks ...

I_am_Joker
24-06-2015, 17:43
This definitely sounds very promising now!

GregT_1903
24-06-2015, 17:48
Wouldn't it just be better if Sony would make something like the XBone Elite Controller?
I would be much more in favor of that then having a 'buttonbox'.

Fight-Test
24-06-2015, 17:55
greg, good idea but really not the same topic. If using a wheel, a controller is pointless and even a keyboard sucks as buttons are too close together and is hard to hit buttons without looking. A button box would allow us to have all the extra control at our finger tips right next to wheel. If you a controller only racer then I can see how a controller like that would help. Just does nothing for wheel users.

How will we know if a generic button box will work? Will it just be a trial and error thing or is there a way to know what the ps4 will recognize.

TheReaper GT
24-06-2015, 18:02
greg, good idea but really not the same topic. If using a wheel, a controller is pointless and even a keyboard sucks as buttons are too close together and is hard to hit buttons without looking. A button box would allow us to have all the extra control at our finger tips right next to wheel. If you a controller only racer then I can see how a controller like that would help. Just does nothing for wheel users.

How will we know if a generic button box will work? Will it just be a trial and error thing or is there a way to know what the ps4 will recognize.

I keep imagining an virtual button box on a mobile app for the controller users, that would be awesome.

copes24
24-06-2015, 18:09
DONE. READ PATCH 2.0 NOTES in my signature. SMS has added support for all active controllers in the game meaning you can simoultaneously use wheel/pedals with gamepad, keyboard and (to be confirmed) generic USB button-boxes AS LONG AS THE PS4 CAN RECOGNIZE THEM.

Say thanks!

The patch notes say it is just for menu navigation. Are you saying we can use both during a race too??

Fanapryde
24-06-2015, 18:17
The patch notes say it is just for menu navigation. Are you saying we can use both during a race too??
I think that is the goal.
My BT keyboard already worked fine for navigating in the menu's...

Fanapryde
24-06-2015, 18:29
Wouldn't it just be better if Sony would make something like the XBone Elite Controller?
I would be much more in favor of that then having a 'buttonbox'.
Your profile shows that you are on PC, meaning you can use any button box you want. You also can use a controller if I'm right. Why would you want Sony to make another controller ?
I was thinking about switching to PC, just to be able to use a buttonbox, but since it looks like console users will get the possibility to use other devices together with the wheel, I'll stick to the PS4 for now.

copes24
24-06-2015, 18:52
I think that is the goal.
My BT keyboard already worked fine for navigating in the menu's...

Just re-read the notes, I missed this part, "Enable support for USB keyboards to be used for in-game controls."

Hopefully a controller can be used the same way. Otherwise I will have to buy a keyboard.

Fight-Test
24-06-2015, 20:37
Sorry double post

Fight-Test
24-06-2015, 20:42
I doubt that the wheel and controller would work at same time while racing. It would be like having 2 first players. I could be wrong though. I do think that on ps3 that gt5 let u have two first player controllers so its possible

Umer Ahmad
24-06-2015, 20:44
Well you could only map each function to 1 button, trigger or axis. You could NOT map braking to 2 buttons for example, the game will not allow it.

This patch allows simply more devices to be accessible to the game but the basic "1 function 1 button" rule still applies

diesel97
24-06-2015, 21:58
Well you could only map each function to 1 button, trigger or axis. You could NOT map braking to 2 buttons for example, the game will not allow it.

This patch allows simply more devices to be accessible to the game but the basic "1 function 1 button" rule still applies

Does that mean if i am using a wheel i cants use my DS4 D-pad for seat up or back or use the x button for TCS on/off on the DS4 if it is already mapped to say whipers on the wheel

Fight-Test
24-06-2015, 22:24
I think he's saying if u have something mapped to the x button on wheel u can't map something different to the x button on controller. That's why we are getting the keyboards and why we want button boxes. If u go into the config menu on the game it will make more sense

diesel97
24-06-2015, 22:38
I think he's saying if u have something mapped to the x button on wheel u can't map something different to the x button on controller. That's why we are getting the keyboards and why we want button boxes. If u go into the config menu on the game it will make more sense

Thats the way i read it also,but i would like a dev to write it in black and white. Alot of people think that the BT keyboard and the DS4 are the samething. I'm just trying to defuse the sh*t storm that has 2 weeks to brew.

We all know people have a habit of reading what they WANT IT TO SAY not what it really says.If this is the case SMS should put a note on the patch list that your DS4 CAN NOT be used as a button box.

Umer Ahmad
24-06-2015, 22:48
I saw 2 statements from SMS today:

1. Gamepads can be used to navigate menus while wheel is plugged in
2. Keyboards can be used for button mapping while driving

Will get more clarity from SMS

diesel97
24-06-2015, 22:53
I saw 2 statements from SMS today:

1. Gamepads can be used to navigate menus while wheel is plugged in
2. Keyboards can be used for button mapping while driving

Will get more clarity from SMS

Thanks that what i read also and the patch notes state the same

jerry555
24-06-2015, 23:41
This is looking very good. I have already started to build my button box...

Fanapryde
25-06-2015, 06:40
This is looking very good. I have already started to build my button box...
Starting from the internals of a controller, or .... ?

TheReaper GT
25-06-2015, 06:41
Starting from the internals of a controller, or .... ?

A USB keyboard, cheap and efficient. One numeric keyboard should be enough

Fanapryde
25-06-2015, 06:55
I hope it turns out that the button boxes that are available will work also, because I don't have any electronics fiddling know how.
I'll stick with my BT keyboard until I know they work, before ordering one (from DSD most likely).

TheReaper GT
25-06-2015, 06:57
I hope it turns out that the button boxes that are available will work also, because I don't have any electronics fiddling know how.
I'll stick with my BT keyboard until I know they work, before ordering one (from DSD most likely).

I think most of those are just keyboards rearranged into another form, you should be fine with them

Fanapryde
25-06-2015, 07:08
I think most of those are just keyboards rearranged into another form, you should be fine with them
Earlier in this topic I mentioned that manufacturers I know of, all state that their boxes do not work on consoles...
Why would they say so. It is clearly not in their interest ?

TheReaper GT
25-06-2015, 07:10
Earlier in this topic I mentioned that manufacturers I know of, all state that their boxes do not work on consoles...
Why would they say so. It is clearly not in their interest ?

Because console games do not accept their keyboard inputs, until the next patch. I think their statement will change a bit

Fanapryde
25-06-2015, 07:14
Because console games do not accept their keyboard inputs, until the next patch. I think their statement will change a bit
I REALLY hope you're right !
That will make me very happy ;)

TheReaper GT
25-06-2015, 07:16
I REALLY hope you're right !
That will make me very happy ;)

Me too. I hope microsoft go in that same path and let us use the keyboard inputs

vds2001
25-06-2015, 07:19
Hi Guys,

Here is an idea for you:

http://zeal.co/box-of-buttons/

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112242

Making a button box from an old keyboard.

Cheers

Voxen
25-06-2015, 07:30
I have a T300RS wheel and I'm wondering if I will be able to assign the wheel's X button to something and the DS4's X button to something else?
If so I don't think I'll need to connect a keyboard, the DS4 has enough buttons to complete the wheel ones.

TheReaper GT
25-06-2015, 07:33
I have a T300RS wheel and I'm wondering if I will be able to assign the wheel's X button to something and the DS4's X button to something else?
If so I don't think I'll need to connect a keyboard, the DS4 has enough buttons to complete the wheel ones.

I don't think so. X is X no matter what input method.

Seubi42
25-06-2015, 07:54
If someone knows a button box which works as a keyboard it can be very cool :)
Otherwise the simplest solutions is maybe to buy a usb numeric keypad first.

TheReaper GT
25-06-2015, 07:56
If someone knows a button box which works as a keyboard it can be very cool :)
Otherwise the simplest solutions is maybe to buy a usb numeric keypad first.
I don't have plans to buy a wheel so I'm going to make a button box to attach on the xbox controller of they let us use the keyboard on xbox

Seubi42
25-06-2015, 08:26
Maybe FPS keyboard will be fine too :

For example this one : Delux FPS
- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQSGEAC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=165N55VY9E0PV93P7179&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Or that
- http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/T9-FPS-with-one-hand-wired-USB-Gaming-Keyboard-backlight-LED-CF-CS-Warcraft-DOTA-Free/1780873703.html

jimmyb_84
25-06-2015, 08:58
I have a couple of keyboards around the house I shall give them a go once the update has landed.

I'm quite excited about having more mappable buttons

J.P.Montoya
27-06-2015, 03:12
Is there any way SMS could support generic arcade fighting sticks like Ultra Street Fighter 4 for PS4 does? This question may sound weird, but guess what: Their bigger buttons is better to use alternate functions then a keyboard, and the Stick could be used as a Shifter ;)

TheReaper GT
27-06-2015, 03:14
Is there any way SMS could support generic arcade fighting sticks like Ultra Street Fighter 4 for PS4 does? This question may sound weird, but guess what: Their bigger buttons is better to use alternate functions then a keyboard, and the Stick could be used as a Shifter ;)

That would be recognized as a normal controller.

TheReaper GT
27-06-2015, 03:16
I have a couple of keyboards around the house I shall give them a go once the update has landed.

I'm quite excited about having more mappable buttons

I know, right, I don't have a PS4 and I'm thrilled for you guys. Again, lets hope moneysoft follow that same path.

wyldanimal
27-06-2015, 03:49
The Simple Solution is USB Keyboard Support in the Game So you can assign a Function to ANY key on the KeyBoard

With USB keyboard support in the game, it opens up a Whole World of Possibilities.

This for example

Yes, it can be done.
In GT6, I can Have a Wheel and the DS3 active, and then Assign functions to the DS3 Buttons.

I've already mentioned this back on Post 36
all you need is a cheap numeric Keypad.. Use it AS IS.. and you got more than enough Buttons.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?31840-SEE-PATCH-2-0-Playstation-4-button-box&p=1002738&viewfull=1#post1002738

wyldanimal
27-06-2015, 03:59

Does that mean if i am using a wheel i cants use my DS4 D-pad for seat up or back or use the x button for TCS on/off on the DS4 if it is already mapped to say whipers on the wheel

the DS4 will function as a separate device. X on the DS4 will be Different than X on the Wheel.

So each button on the Wheel, and Each button on the DS4 can be assigned a Function.

What you CAN NOT do, is assign the Same Function to More than One Button..
For Example - Lets use Look left..

you can't have D-Pad Left on the Wheel = Look Left, and Also have D-Pad Left on the DS4 = Look Left..

Look Left, can Only be Assigned to One Button..
One Function to One Button..

but you can do this,
D-Pad Left on DS4 = Cycle HUD
D-Pad Left on Wheel = Look Left

Fanapryde
27-06-2015, 05:39
I've already mentioned this back on Post 36
all you need is a cheap numeric Keypad.. Use it AS IS.. and you got more than enough Buttons.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?31840-SEE-PATCH-2-0-Playstation-4-button-box&p=1002738&viewfull=1#post1002738
OK wyldanimal, I am aware of what you wrote there and I know it would certainly be a step in the right direction.

But let's just take the seat settings: up/down/forward/backward/incline fw/incline bw. That means six buttons right ? For the seat settings alone... !

If you want to map all available functions a numeric pad will simply not do.

Moreover: if you are going to want to use these functions while racing (that is almost pure on touch because there is not enough time to look), how would a keypad do ? Not well I think.

ChrisK
27-06-2015, 08:58
This is a pretty exciting possibility. I wonder thugh with the ability to change settings, how can you keep track of this without the hud telling you what you've adjusted ? Ie: if you allocate a button for + and - roll bar, then how do you know what setting you currently have ? It would be hard to keep track of wouldnt it ?

Mascot
27-06-2015, 13:24
Does anyone know for sure whether wireless USB numeric keypads will work with PS4..? These can be had for around £11 from eBay.

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Q1QeHVXXXXX3XFXXq6xXFXXXn/New-USB-Wireless-Laptop-Keyboard-MC-Saite-SK-51AG-Wireless-Non-synchronous-Notebook-Computer-Numeric-Keyboard.jpg

Fanapryde
27-06-2015, 13:35
Does anyone know for sure whether wireless USB numeric keypads will work with PS4..? These can be had for around £11 from eBay.
I'm not sure it is relevant, but my wireless Pulse headset (also uses a dongle) works flawless with my PS4.

Mascot
27-06-2015, 18:16
I'm not sure it is relevant, but my wireless Pulse headset (also uses a dongle) works flawless with my PS4.

Good to hear - thanks.

diesel97
27-06-2015, 23:44
the DS4 will function as a separate device. X on the DS4 will be Different than X on the Wheel.

So each button on the Wheel, and Each button on the DS4 can be assigned a Function.

you can't have D-Pad Left on the Wheel = Look Left, and Also have D-Pad Left on the DS4 = Look Left..

but you can do this,

Can you provide a link from a dev with this answer ? I asked this question earlier and a WMD was going to ask a dev about this.

vds2001
28-06-2015, 09:31

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Q1QeHVXXXXX3XFXXq6xXFXXXn/New-USB-Wireless-Laptop-Keyboard-MC-Saite-SK-51AG-Wireless-Non-synchronous-Notebook-Computer-Numeric-Keyboard.jpg

I have a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard, It works (except the touchpad part),

I think every std keyboard function will work, not sure the Num Lock will act as a programmable button, it's more an internal function of the numpad.
But if it works as a switch between number and arrow, then that's perfect , it adds 10 buttons!

I ordered a USB numpad, will test it soon.

EDIT: it works with a microsoft wireless keyboard in the chat text box

tgrey
28-06-2015, 09:51
What manufactured button boxes are there that operate as a keyboard?

Also, how does a keyboard based controller keep continuity of their position? For example, if your settings in game have TCS on, but the switch gets moved to OFF position while powered down, wouldn't you have controls out of sync when it turns back on? I thought that's why the better button boxes report as controllers, not keyboards... they can respond to real time state not just individual presses.

Either way, I'm really to see what button box options come our way!

Raikku
28-06-2015, 19:13
So how this would work? Could you connect it separately to PS4 and pCars would recognize it as second usable controller? I use Derek's this:
http://www.hgsitebuilder.com/files/writeable/uploads/hostgator518901/image/hpim1432-01.jpg

Dumahim
28-06-2015, 19:49
For those of us using the controller and with keyboard support coming, would this work then?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61eDcVA%2Bd5L._SL1000_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Megadream%C2%AE-Bluetooth-Wireless-Controller-Playstation-4/dp/B00NL4EC1U

copes24
29-06-2015, 12:29

but you can do this,

I hope this is true.

Fight-Test
29-06-2015, 14:50

but you can do this,

How will this work with button config screen in the game? It currently doesn't let u program more than one button to a command. So x button on wheel is no different than on controller. No way to differentiate in the config screen. I know what ur saying that once in game the controller will read as a different periphial but will the game itself allow two x buttons from different sources and how? How was this done in any previous game that allowed it in regard to the in game config screen?

Umer Ahmad
06-07-2015, 13:41
Patch is NOW AVAILABLE. Someone can test this out finally and report here if it's working?

Liquid7394
06-07-2015, 14:18

but you can do this,

This isn't true, you cannot map the controller separately from the wheel.

tgrey
06-07-2015, 14:22
Patch is NOW AVAILABLE. Someone can test this out finally and report here if it's working?

Patch doesn't appear for me yet, but according to http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34129-Project-CARS-PS4-Patch-2-0-Release-notes&p=1032750&viewfull=1#post1032750 keyboards are working for assigned buttons.

Fight-Test
06-07-2015, 15:08
we need someone with a button box to check it out.

wyldanimal
06-07-2015, 15:17

but you can do this,

This isn't true, you cannot map the controller separately from the wheel.

Says Who?
lets look at it from a developer perspective, each device is different, and each button on each device is also different.
Device 0 button 1
Device 1 button 3
Device 2 button 5

So yes, each device can be mapped independent of the others.

Think about a two player game, each player using their own Controller.
Would Player 1's X button be the same as Player's 2 X button?
IF the X button is the same no matter what controller it is pressed on,
How would you Every have a Multiple player Game?

Each Controller is independent,
So X on Device 0 is not the same as X on Device 1.

tgrey
06-07-2015, 15:18
we need someone with a button box to check it out.

any keyboard based boxes will work. everyone that keeps holding out hope for DSD boxes is going to be sorely disappointed tho.

Liquid7394
06-07-2015, 15:23
Says Who?
lets look at it from a developer perspective, each device is different, and each button on each device is also different.
Device 0 button 1
Device 1 button 3
Device 2 button 5

So yes, each device can be mapped independent of the others.

Think about a two player game, each player using their own Controller.
Would Player 1's X button be the same as Player's 2 X button?
IF the X button is the same no matter what controller it is pressed on,
How would you Every have a Multiple player Game?

Each Controller is independent,
So X on Device 0 is not the same as X on Device 1.

Says me. I tried to map the DS4 and it doesn't work, in fact the DS4 doesn't function at all while in game.

Fanapryde
06-07-2015, 15:23
any keyboard based boxes will work. everyone that keeps holding out hope for DSD boxes is going to be sorely disappointed tho.
Which brand will work ?

Fight-Test
06-07-2015, 15:25
which boxes are usb based? I know that DSD has some boards that use the same functions as a usb keyboard. So does Leo Bodnar. Just don't know if or which boxes are made like this. If you know of any let us know. If not Ill just make one but hoping there are some out there already.

wyld, what we are saying is there isnt a way to pick different configs for each device. Unless they added some pages to the config screen. So i have the f1 wheel and the t300 base. I know this is one device but if I hit the R3 button on the base it programs a function, then if I hit R3 on wheel it overwrites in config screen. So your saying that each device will have its own config screen even though its all considered 1st player? I just don't see a workaround for the config screen unless they added tabs to it.

Fight-Test
06-07-2015, 15:26
I think the ds4 is only supposed to work in menus and not in game anyway. but if its not working at all, even in menus you might have a issue.

tgrey
06-07-2015, 15:32
which boxes are usb based? I know that DSD has some boards that use the same functions as a usb keyboard. So does Leo Bodnar. Just don't know if or which boxes are made like this. If you know of any let us know. If not Ill just make one but hoping there are some out there already.

I don't know what brands will work, honestly when I looked before it seemed like most pre-made boxes work as controllers, and most of the keyboard based ones are home-made.

I had looked into DSD hoping they were keyboard based, but I found some driver info about some that were controller based... but I don't know if that's all, or just some of his line. If any are keyboard based, I'd be *THRILLED*, so if you know of one/some, please share!

Liquid7394
06-07-2015, 15:32
I think the ds4 is only supposed to work in menus and not in game anyway. but if its not working at all, even in menus you might have a issue.

It's works fine in menus like SMS stated, that's not an issue, I didn't expect to be able to use the DS4 to map extra buttons. However, wyldanimal is claiming that you can which just isn't true.

tgrey
06-07-2015, 15:38

Just looked this up for another thread on the DSD site FAQ, underlined important section for emphasis:

Q6 – Can I connect more than one box to my computer?

A – Yes, and we have personally verified that iRacing will use multiple boxes, a wheel with pedals and another USB game pad simultaneously. The USB components we manufacture are fully compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8. They are recognized as simple game controllers. Any Windows 7/8 title which will use a game controller will see DSD USB devises.

Fight-Test
06-07-2015, 15:48
yes that what I have seen in regard to the button boxes also. I know leo bodner has two boards that read as USB keyboards. I think DSD has one also. Thats why I was wondering if any of their boxes actually use that board.

gubasx
06-07-2015, 17:43
You don't need that .. just map the functions you may need to different areas of the touchpad ..and there you go ;)

madmax2069
06-07-2015, 17:50
You don't need that .. just map the functions you may need to different areas of the touchpad ..and there you go ;)

I dont think the touchpad on the DS4 works with absolute positions (I think I used the wrong term) like it does with a touch screen on a smart phone. The DS4 can detect swipes and control a mouse but I dont think it can act like a touch screen.

I do know that the touch pad has two different buttons (one on the left and one on the right) but those are actually physical buttons under the touchpad (the touch pad is hovering above them).

vds2001
06-07-2015, 18:01
quick update on numpad:

usb numpad (very cheap one)= recognized

Every touch ok except:
- 000 acts as 0 : no surprise
- Num Lock : transform any number and . in an unique VerrNum affectation

Something I noticed too, arrows of the numpad act as look right / left and up AND as affected in the panel,

so for example I put Seat position down on the [left arrow / number 4] on the numpad, when I press it it looks left an lower the seat.

VR_Green
06-07-2015, 18:12
has anyone actually successfully mapped a keyboard button whilst using a steering wheel as there primary controller. doesn't seem to work for me. My keyboard works in the menus, although i haven't found the buttons mapped for R1, L1, R2, L2. and I use my logitech usb keyboard on other playstation applications no problem - so i know my keyboard works!

The only button it will register in the assignment page is ENTER

I can not also map my pad with my wheel as the primary controller, this doesnt seem to work if!

If is does work, i made a guide of what i was going to do

http://vrroom.org/index.php/messageboard/computers-technology/2184-make-your-own-button-box-guide#17269

wyldanimal
06-07-2015, 18:20
It's works fine in menus like SMS stated, that's not an issue, I didn't expect to be able to use the DS4 to map extra buttons. However, wyldanimal is claiming that you can which just isn't true.

and your basis for that is?

go read my post here:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?33122-Button-Box-on-PS4&p=1019973&viewfull=1#post1019973

read this post:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-2-0-Release-notes&p=1012539&viewfull=1#post1012539

then read this one:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-2-0-Release-notes&p=1012797&viewfull=1#post1012797

let me summarize it:
Controls – All platforms
* Added support for the use of all active controllers for ... input.

Stephen Viljoen
Game Director/Designer

"No need to reword the patch notes, they mean exactly what you hope they do "

or maybe, as a developer myself, I just understand what has been posted.
I don't need to ask, and re-ask the same question a dozen different ways to get the same answer.

to me that Means that each active Controller, ( Wheel, DS4, Keyboard ) will function as an input Device.
and can have their Buttons Mapped as inputs for the assigned functions.

it has worked that was on all prior generations of consoles.
it currently works that way on the PS3.
the PS4 is No Different, Each input device is treated as a separate device.
So If SMS has coded to be able to use all Active Controllers as Input Devices
then each device can have it's own set of buttons assigned to the functions.
as a developer I wouldn't expect it to work any other way.

diesel97
06-07-2015, 18:32
and your basis for that is?

go read my post here:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?33122-Button-Box-on-PS4&p=1019973&viewfull=1#post1019973

read this post:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-2-0-Release-notes&p=1012539&viewfull=1#post1012539

then read this one:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-2-0-Release-notes&p=1012797&viewfull=1#post1012797

let me summarize it:
Controls – All platforms

Stephen Viljoen
Game Director/Designer

or maybe, as a developer myself, I just understand what has been posted.
I don't need to ask, and re-ask the same question a dozen different ways to get the same answer.

to me that Means that each active Controller, ( Wheel, DS4, Keyboard ) will function as an input Device.
and can have their Buttons Mapped as inputs for the assigned functions.

it has worked that was on all prior generations of consoles.
it currently works that way on the PS3.
the PS4 is No Different, Each input device is treated as a separate device.
So If SMS has coded to be able to use all Active Controllers as Input Devices
then each device can have it's own set of buttons assigned to the functions.
as a developer I wouldn't expect it to work any other way.

You keep saying that over and over but have you tried it ? I asked the question when this all started and never got a answer . I guess i never got and answer is because it says that you can use the DS4 to scroll menus and that all it says .

Fight-Test
06-07-2015, 18:33
wyld, it might help if you looked at correct patch notes.

here is the patch note from the ps4 list * Added support for the use of all active controllers for menu input. You can for example now use a steering wheel to race, and a gamepad to control the menus and photo mode.

Pretty sure thats we are all thinking that the pad will only work in menus and why the keyboard will work in the game. Still you havent explained how we will be able to map this in the config screen. What im saying is, if the game allows us to use a second controller in game how will the ingame config screen work in regards to the buttons. If I use the x button on wheel for pit and then program the x button on pad for seat up it will replace in the config screen. Are they giving us tabs in the config screen to assign different tasks?

Umer Ahmad
06-07-2015, 18:37
Take a matrix of "m" devices each with "n" mappable buttons.

Then there can only be 1 single (i, j) coordinate in that matrix for each game function (change camera)

**Cannot map 2 buttons for change camera!

vds2001
06-07-2015, 18:45
Take a matrix of "m" devices each with "n" mappable buttons.

Then there can only be 1 single (i, j) coordinate in that matrix for each game function (change camera)

**Cannot map 2 buttons for change camera!

Except for numpad as I mention on my post, the arrows still act as view left/right/up even when there is a function assigned to the corresponding number (number 4 for arrow left, etc.)

Something for next patch?

andycass
06-07-2015, 18:50
After some messing finally got my usb button box to work. 210927

LIONITUSofSPARTA
06-07-2015, 18:51
After some messing finally got my usb button box to work. 210926

attachment link is invalid

TheReaper GT
06-07-2015, 18:58
After some messing finally got my usb button box to work. 210927

What's the chrome lever for?

andycass
06-07-2015, 19:00
What's the chrome lever for?
Not sure yet they were all momentary buttons i had at hand so shoved them in the box.

Fight-Test
06-07-2015, 19:07
did you make that from the guts of a keyboard? This should also work not problem as it is reading as a keyboard and has wireless button you can place anywhere on panel. http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_105d.html

madmax2069
06-07-2015, 19:57
did you make that from the guts of a keyboard? This should also work not problem as it is reading as a keyboard and has wireless button you can place anywhere on panel. http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_105d.html

But that requires extra software to work. It will work on PC but probably not on a PS4 being that it needs extra software to function.

Fight-Test
06-07-2015, 20:11
it reads just like a keyboard. Supposed to be a keyboard. Newer version require no software as I think i linked something pretty old. I haven't researched much into it, just know they worked last gen somehow. Maybe its something you have to do on the cpu and then hook up to the ps4 once you map the buttons you attach.

WarriusZero
06-07-2015, 20:34
I confirm Diesel's findings. I have my T300 plugged in and I have mapped a number of actions to it, and to a USB keyboard (i.e. a full keyboard, I've ordered a small numeric one). But while I can use the DS4 in the menus, I cannot map any of the DS4's buttons. Incidentally, when the pop up to pick a button to assign is shown, the DS4's Option button does not cancel the pop up.

I also confirm that the keys 2, 4, 6 and 8 get confused and do the same thing as the Up, Down, Left and right buttons. (see EDIT!!)
Also the key between 0 and Enter ( . Del ) does not work.

I will try some more with my numeric only keyboard tomorrow. It doesn't have a Num Lock button so I hope that 2, 4, 6 and 8 won't get mapped to Up, Down, Left and Right.

Note also that the P key pauses the game, without showing the Option menu.

EDIT: The keys 2, 4, 6 and 8 are always mapped to looking up, down ,left and right, regardless of what is mapped on the steering wheel, or, if I get it right, on the dedicated up, down, left and right buttons of the keyboard. They can also do something else at the same time if you map them to do so.

TheReaper GT
06-07-2015, 20:37
I confirm Diesel's findings. I have my T300 plugged in and I have mapped a number of actions to it, and to a USB keyboard (i.e. a full keyboard, I've ordered a small numeric one). But while I can use the DS4 in the menus, I cannot map any of the DS4's buttons. Incidentally, when the pop up to pick a button to assign is shown, the DS4's Option button does not cancel the pop up.

I also confirm that the keys 2, 4, 6 and 8 get confused and do the same thing as the Up, Down, Left and right buttons.
Also the key between 0 and Enter ( . Del ) does not work.

I will try some more with my numeric only keyboard tomorrow. It doesn't have a Num Lock button so I hope that 2, 4, 6 and 8 won't get mapped to Up, Down, Left and Right.

Note also that the P key pauses the game, without showing the Option menu.

That's great feedback right here. Since a button box will have far less buttons than keyboard people can adapt it to their needs.

WarriusZero
06-07-2015, 20:53
Note my EDIT, I now better understand what's going on with 2, 4, 6 and 8. They always map to looking in the 4 directions, but ALSO do whatever you may have mapped them.
To make sure I was getting it right, I had mapped 4 to the automatic clutch. When I pressed 4, (and provided I had the engine running and a gear engaged, of course) the car would stall as well as looking left.

What I will do is leave these buttons unmapped and map the T300's D-pad to something other than looking around.

VR_Green
06-07-2015, 23:20
I am experiencing a similar problem, in that button mappings seem to be getting confused, one second they work then next they don't work. I tried to map my ignition and start button, no problem. "I" and "S" respectively. Then when i do it again, it doesn't let me map anything. Shut the game down and do it again it works, but one time only. My keyboard is a Logitech Internet 350, and i know it works fine, works in the menus, and in other playstation applications, and i use it when i dock my laptop.

i do intend on trying another keyboard tomorrow!

Kidney
07-07-2015, 06:07

U do have this
http://m.ebay.com/itm/301670582796?nav=SEARCH

vds2001
07-07-2015, 08:39
I recommend this numpad:

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Numeric-Keypad-Black-AKP10US/dp/B002NURRL0

No Num Lock and thus no issue with arrows!

vds2001
07-07-2015, 08:40
And wireless version:

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Wireless-Numeric-Keypad-AKP11US/dp/B002NUYTCA/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EKYW8YA131C93EZ7CH2

WarriusZero
07-07-2015, 08:51
I ordered that exact same keyboard. I will let you know ASAP but I'm not as 'optimistic' as you are, because the state of the Num Lock has no effect on the arrows' behaviour.
Whatever happens, though, I'm still happy to have more buttons available.

WarriusZero
07-07-2015, 14:01
I recommend this numpad:

I've received it and I can confirm that the arrows behave exactly like on the standard keyboard.

Umer Ahmad
07-07-2015, 14:21
SO has anyone yet tried a buttonbox on PS4 since yesterday? Did I miss the post about it?

tgrey
07-07-2015, 14:27
SO has anyone yet tried a buttonbox on PS4 since yesterday? Did I miss the post about it?

Point me at a quality button box that is known to work as a USB keyboard, I'll purchase and test it ASAP ;)

Umer Ahmad
07-07-2015, 14:36
ah man, that sucks. But aren't some guys using home-made USB buttonboxes on PC? Hopefully someone will be successful with this soon.

tgrey
07-07-2015, 14:43
ah man, that sucks. But aren't some guys using home-made USB buttonboxes on PC? Hopefully someone will be successful with this soon.

There hopefully are a few with both a full PC rig and a PS4, but personally if I had a PC sim rig I doubt I'd bother picking up any racers for PS4.

falm
07-07-2015, 15:09

There hopefully are a few with both a full PC rig and a PS4, but personally if I had a PC sim rig I doubt I'd bother picking up any racers for PS4.

Did a bit of research over the last days on the topic. As it seems most (all that I found) button boxes mimic a GamePad on PC.
This will not work on PS4, since the box needs to look like a keyboard for the PS4.

Nonetheless there seems to be a do-it-yourself solution:
--> http://simple-solutions.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=13
This is also mentioned one of the other Threads here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?33850-I-Blame-the-team-at-Project-CARS/page3.

Second option is to dissemble a Keyboard and reuse the built in circuit boards.

--> Ordered the one above now and will set up a prototype as soon as it arrives. Will keep you updated in this thread.

jerry555
07-07-2015, 17:55
I was hoping to have mine wired yesterday, but I managed to mess the track on the keyboard circuit board.
I found another keyboard at work, I will solder this one another way.

This is what my box looks like so far, I have added the other buttons, so hoping the wiring works this time..

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?33122-Button-Box-on-PS4&p=1029305&viewfull=1#post1029305

madmax2069
07-07-2015, 18:04
Did a bit of research over the last days on the topic. As it seems most (all that I found) button boxes mimic a GamePad on PC.
This will not work on PS4, since the box needs to look like a keyboard for the PS4.

Nonetheless there seems to be a do-it-yourself solution:
--> http://simple-solutions.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=13
This is also mentioned one of the other Threads here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?33850-I-Blame-the-team-at-Project-CARS/page3.

Second option is to dissemble a Keyboard and reuse the built in circuit boards.

--> Ordered the one above now and will set up a prototype as soon as it arrives. Will keep you updated in this thread.

A generic USB controller that doesnt require software to work will work just fine on the PS4, I just dont know about in this game. But I use a pc usb flight stick on the ps4 in War Thunder, as well as my old generic USB controller.

vds2001
07-07-2015, 20:28
I've received it and I can confirm that the arrows behave exactly like on the standard keyboard.

Did you get the TARGUS or a standard one?

On the TARGUS there is no arrow and no Num Lock.

VR_Green
07-07-2015, 22:25
made this guide if anyone is interested

http://vrroom.org/index.php/kunena/computers-technology/2184-make-your-own-button-box-guide

WarriusZero
08-07-2015, 01:19
Did you get the TARGUS or a standard one?

On the TARGUS there is no arrow and no Num Lock.

It is the Targus.

falm
08-07-2015, 07:53
made this guide if anyone is interested

http://vrroom.org/index.php/kunena/computers-technology/2184-make-your-own-button-box-guide

Thanks for the link, this was the 2nd option that I was thinking about. Still learning how this can be done - but will give it a try.
Your tutorial looks rather straight forward, thanks for writing this up.

falm
08-07-2015, 08:11
Dear community,
to sum up the feedback from VR_Green, madmax2096, jerry555 - reusing a old USB Keyboard will work with PS4.
So let's move on and build something nice.

BR Markus

vds2001
08-07-2015, 13:50
How about that:

http://www.amazon.com/XK-24-USB-Programmable-Keypad-Windows/dp/B003MB780E/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/X-keys-Stick-Keys-programmable-keys/dp/B009ROIFQ6/ref=pd_sim_147_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1K5YTDYYFTEFJXE4K2RE

Programmable keys and backlight!

TheReaper GT
08-07-2015, 13:54
How about that:

http://www.amazon.com/XK-24-USB-Programmable-Keypad-Windows/dp/B003MB780E/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/X-keys-Stick-Keys-programmable-keys/dp/B009ROIFQ6/ref=pd_sim_147_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1K5YTDYYFTEFJXE4K2RE

Programmable keys and backlight!

Wow, the strip look sweeeeet to put in the base of a wheel :D

hairy balz-on-ya
08-07-2015, 16:36
it would be great to have a button box for the wheels that dont have all the buttons needed.... this could be the thing that comes with the ps4 called the dual shock 4....

Cabriojoschy
08-07-2015, 19:43
it would be great to have a button box for the wheels that dont have all the buttons needed.... this could be the thing that comes with the ps4 called the dual shock 4....

I think you don´t get the point. We want to have a button box because this is more race car feeling. I have mapped all functions to a bluetooth keyboard but it dos not feel the same as my good old button box, which I made for GT6... Using the Dual Shock 4 would have no benefit for me.

jerry555
08-07-2015, 19:48
Nearly finished, still waiting for the other buttons, tested on the PC as per the video, will test it on PS4, at the weekend, although there shouldn't be any problems.
Labels to finish it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KLlCrsuaA

falm
08-07-2015, 20:30
Nearly finished, still waiting for the other buttons, tested on the PC as per the video, will test it on PS4, at the weekend, although there shouldn't be any problems.
Labels to finish it off.

Awesome job, hope it will work on PS4 as planned.

Voxen
08-07-2015, 20:51
I recommend this numpad:

I got this one and have the arrows issue.

wyldanimal
09-07-2015, 03:06
Labels to finish it off.

Nice looking Project Box.
Did it come with that Carbon Look or did you add that?

I'm working on a Similar project for the PS4.
using the Circuit out of a full size USB keyboard, and a Project box..
Haven't figured a way to add LED lamps to it yet..
Well I have, but I wanted it to be cost effective to build..

I can use a basic stamp or Similar device, have it process all the switches,
then it can turn on the Outputs as needed.

Also Maintained Toggles, like the Start and Ignition Switches, don't work well with a Keyboard input..
the Key has to be a momentary press.
So I guess some sort of in between processing is required..

Key Selections:

"P" seems to be hard coded as a Pause..
anyone else finding the same?

jerry555
09-07-2015, 05:27
Nice looking Project Box.
Did it come with that Carbon Look or did you add that?

I'm working on a Similar project for the PS4.
using the Circuit out of a full size USB keyboard, and a Project box..
Haven't figured a way to add LED lamps to it yet..
Well I have, but I wanted it to be cost effective to build..

I can use a basic stamp or Similar device, have it process all the switches,
then it can turn on the Outputs as needed.

Also Maintained Toggles, like the Start and Ignition Switches, don't work well with a Keyboard input..
the Key has to be a momentary press.
So I guess some sort of in between processing is required..

Key Selections:

The carbon fibre is just an adhesive sheet I bought off ebay.
Didn't know about the P button, but I can always change that one.
Not sure about lights, because it doesn't give out any outputs for them.
The Ignition switches I might not use anyway, because I wasn't sure about them being permanently switched on, so I will leave them blank for now.

Fanapryde
09-07-2015, 07:15
Key Selections:

Yes, whatever I try to map to the P key, it always pauses the game (it freezes the screen, you don't get the menu overlapping though).

Fanapryde
10-07-2015, 14:43
Some observations after mapping functions to keys on my keyboard:

- brake bias (increase and decrease) does not work.
- changing roll bars does not work either.

Since there is no visual control (would be nice to have) I checked the settings while in the pits. While driving I tried to change these settings, but could not feel any difference.
Went back into the pits and all settings were still the same, no change.

Changing seat settings etc... work without problems.

Bealdor
10-07-2015, 17:36
Some observations after mapping functions to keys on my keyboard:

- brake bias (increase and decrease) does not work.
- changing roll bars does not work either.

Which cars did you test? GT4 series for example don't allow setting brake bias on the fly, even though you can see the setting in the Motec display.

Fanapryde
10-07-2015, 17:47
Which cars did you test? GT4 series for example don't allow setting brake bias on the fly, even though you can see the setting in the Motec display.Only two cars for now:
RWD P30 LMP1
Ginetta GT3

pjgreg04
11-07-2015, 07:48
Finished putting together my arduino button box together yesterday it emulates a keyboard built it for iracing but tried it on the ps4 and all seems to work fine.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/pjgreg04/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0226.jpg (http://s216.photobucket.com/user/pjgreg04/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0226.jpg.html)

Just need to add some labels and finish tweeking what buttons do what in the code.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/pjgreg04/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0228.jpg (http://s216.photobucket.com/user/pjgreg04/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0228.jpg.html)

Fanatest
12-07-2015, 14:55
I'd buy one of these button boxes, if you go into business!

For those who don't have button boxes (and are using USB numpads) some good quality keyboard stickers are a must.

I'm going to knock a set up (when I next get some free time) much like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ableton-Live-Shortcut-Keyboard-STICKER/dp/B001TDWLN6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436712384&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Gaming+keyboard+shortcut+stickers

Each sticker and set will represent a PCars function and carry a colour code and appropriate symbol etc.

All you'll need is to print them out, I just need to find some time :-/

Fanatest
14-07-2015, 10:25
Getting there:

Just finishing up the icons for the other features etc (including proper TC/ABS/ESC etc and then coating them in glow in the dark "blue" ink for those night races ;)

http://i.imgur.com/HiQKYCh.png

medse87
14-07-2015, 10:34
That looks nice.

Fanatest
14-07-2015, 10:47
Cheers ;)

It should look even better when it's finally complete, I'm just trying to find time to finish all the icons etc.
I'll pop em up for anyone wants them, when it's complete.

Then just print them out and pop 'em on ;)

A slight blue glow (red for the hand brake) from my glow in the dark pens, and a few more tweaks here and there are needed to get it just right, but it's getting there :)

lancashirelad
14-07-2015, 14:57
Hi
Thinking of making my own button box for project cars.
Do any of you tech heads know if this will work with PS4 before i fork out on it and a load of buttons?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-PS3-USB-ARCADE-CONTROLLER-INTERFACE-FOR-2-JOYSTICKS-AND-22-BUTTONS-/261947826603?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cfd4ea1ab

Any help welcome.

TheReaper GT
14-07-2015, 14:58
Nope, it has to be keyboard based.

Lots of good info here (Ignore the I know everything douche in the midle):

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?31840-SEE-PATCH-2-0-Playstation-4-button-box&highlight=button+box

lancashirelad
15-07-2015, 17:04
Nope, it has to be keyboard based.

Lots of good info here (Ignore the I know everything douche in the midle):

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?31840-SEE-PATCH-2-0-Playstation-4-button-box&highlight=button+box

What about this then?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111710681864?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

TheReaper GT
15-07-2015, 17:08
What about this then?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111710681864?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's confusing, the title says keyboard but the description says two controllers

lancashirelad
15-07-2015, 17:26
It's confusing, the title says keyboard but the description says two controllers

I know, i just want a circuit board with no solder wires included that will work with PS4 and then i can start buying the other stuff.

TheReaper GT
15-07-2015, 17:29
I know, i just want a circuit board with no solder wires included that will work with PS4 and then i can start buying the other stuff.

maybe you can use those wires in an old keyboard circuit board.

stevemontuno
15-07-2015, 19:13
just buy a Titan one or Cronus max and any button box will work,,

TheReaper GT
15-07-2015, 19:17
just buy a Titan one or Cronus max and any button box will work,,

Sure about that? Seems like both have programs for original controllers. Button boxes are generic controllers. If they have a remap funciton where you can remap controller buttons to be recognized as keyboard inputs by the console, it could work.

Fight-Test
15-07-2015, 19:24
this is the board you need to make your own box. Its the one shown a few posts back. I also believe the Micro from Arduino will work the same. Then buy your project box and momentary switches.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Arduino/A000052/?qs=JYLCs0CWXI0EuuE9AXNMFg%3D%3D&kpid=891725427&gclid=CjwKEAjwiZitBRCy0pb3rIbG9XwSJACmuvvzTKfFey0AG5HynPFd98Fj0EAuyJET7Vh7QDA3CHAtOhoC1wfw_wcB

stevemontuno
15-07-2015, 19:27
Sure about that? Seems like both have programs for original controllers. Button boxes are generic controllers. If they have a remap funciton where you can remap controller buttons to be recognized as keyboard inputs by the console, it could work.

Use MaxAim plugin to map it ,,,job done.

TheReaper GT
15-07-2015, 19:28
Use MaxAim plugin to map it ,,,job done.

Nice, maybe it will help some people. :D

jerry555
15-07-2015, 19:55
Other buttons fitted, mounts made and covered in carbon fibre.

Having to redo the labels because the first ones were too small.

Should have them for tomorrow.

Version 2.0 in progress....

TheReaper GT
15-07-2015, 19:59
Other buttons fitted, mounts made and covered in carbon fibre.

Having to redo the labels because the first ones were too small.

Should have them for tomorrow.

Version 2.0 in progress....

Looking awesome. Imagine if the consoles get the API access one day... A little motec tablet would fit like a glove on your setup.

jerry555
15-07-2015, 20:06
Looking awesome. Imagine if the consoles get the API access one day... A little motec tablet would fit like a glove on your setup.

I wish...
I'm so tempted to mount my tablet on the other side just in case.
I could always use it for browsing or setups.....

TheReaper GT
15-07-2015, 20:07
I wish...
I'm so tempted to mount my tablet on the other side just in case.
I could always use it for browsing or setups.....

sure thing, it's gonna look awesome.

andycass
15-07-2015, 20:48
What about this then?
This should work . Iv'e got one simular in my jukebox and my ps4 recognises it as a keyboard.

Fight-Test
15-07-2015, 21:57
Here is the guide for the Leonardo and micro. Both work.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoLeonardoMicro?from=Guide.ArduinoLeonardo

TurboSenna
16-07-2015, 16:27
Quote Originally Posted by lancashirelad View Post
What about this then?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1117106818...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This should work . Iv'e got one simular in my jukebox and my ps4 recognises it as a keyboard.

Was thinking of getting this but looking at the wiring diagram it looks like this becomes a usb gamepad and not a keyboard.

So I'm currently thinking about either a keyboard hack or a keywiz adapter (http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_80&products_id=303). The latter will start to cost a bit so might just see how I get on with a generic keypad for a while before spending much....

therealzissou
16-07-2015, 18:57
Is there some resource some one could point me towards about learning wiring? I'm keen to try the keyboard hack and have been looking to build a button box for a while so if any one could suggest any books or online sources to understand the basics of wiring and how circuits work that would be great! Thanks.

TheReaper GT
16-07-2015, 19:00
Is there some resource some one could point me towards about learning wiring? I'm keen to try the keyboard hack and have been looking to build a button box for a while so if any one could suggest any books or online sources to understand the basics of wiring and how circuits work that would be great! Thanks.

I've learned a lot with a book called Electronics for Dummies. I'm sure there's a epub version somewhere.

therealzissou
16-07-2015, 19:12
I've learned a lot with a book called Electronics for Dummies. I'm sure there's a epub version somewhere.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Fanatest
16-07-2015, 20:32
There is a serious gap in the market here ;)

Fight-Test
16-07-2015, 20:58
There is a serious gap in the market here ;)

only for a short time. Ive talked with most of the button box makers. wont be long guys, just doesnt make since for them make a box for ps4 only so they are working on solutions to easily go back and forth.

If you want a quick DIY just contact a button box maker you like, ask them to send you a box with not circuit board in it and switch any button or switch that is not momentary with one that is and buy your own board. The ones I previously listed will work fine. Hook up the wires and you are good to go.

jerry555
18-07-2015, 06:57
Going to redo labels, there not big enough.....

Fanapryde
18-07-2015, 07:29
Nice work though...
Wouldn't color codes add some ease to finding the right button ?

jerry555
18-07-2015, 10:46
Nice work though...
Wouldn't color codes add some ease to finding the right button ?

Hopefully it shouldn't take me very long to remember what each button does.
Also i'm working on version 2.0.
Taking out the safety switches, adding larger toggle switches and adding different size and colour buttons.

Bluemoonie
19-07-2015, 08:58

This for example

Yes, it can be done.

Can you use a bluetooth version of this to eliminate the wires

Bluemoonie
19-07-2015, 09:00
Where do I get one ?

Bluemoonie
19-07-2015, 09:01

Where do I get one

Fanapryde
19-07-2015, 11:59
Where do I get one ?
Did you even read this topic ?
It has been said several times that a BT keyboard will work.

Where do you get a button box like that ? You will have to make one yourself, as @jerry555 did.
These button boxes are not for sale (yet)...

tgrey
19-07-2015, 12:06
Hopefully it shouldn't take me very long to remember what each button does.
Also i'm working on version 2.0.
Taking out the safety switches, adding larger toggle switches and adding different size and colour buttons.

Looks awesome Jerry555! Out of curiosity, why are you losing the "safety switches"?

therealzissou
19-07-2015, 15:32
Right, so I've been reading this thread and others and decided to try and build my own button box. I have the keyboard and soldering iron just about to order the switches and wire. I'm pretty much a noob with this but have spent all weekend reading up on circuits and wiring so I'm fairly confident how it'll all work.

Just a quick question to anyone who can offer advice: I plan on putting 10 push button and 10 toggle switches on off on that snap back to the centre, but I'm unsure what to use for the missile style switch? Ideally I'd have a 2 way on off toggle switch (mostly just for looks), would this be momentary when connected? i.e. once flicked up for on it doesn't keep the button pressed? And flicking it back to off maintains its off state rather than closing the circuit again?

Apart from this I'm pretty much set and can't wait to have one of these, especially if I can get it to look like Jerry555's!

Thanks

jerry555
19-07-2015, 20:17
Looks awesome Jerry555! Out of curiosity, why are you losing the "safety switches"?

The safety switches I don't use they are just for show, I was going to connect them but wasn't sure how the ignition switch in the game works so I didn't bother...
I might put 1 in when I get round to my next box, I must admit that they do look good.....

Right, so I've been reading this thread and others and decided to try and build my own button box. I have the keyboard and soldering iron just about to order the switches and wire. I'm pretty much a noob with this but have spent all weekend reading up on circuits and wiring so I'm fairly confident how it'll all work.

Just a quick question to anyone who can offer advice: I plan on putting 10 push button and 10 toggle switches on off on that snap back to the centre, but I'm unsure what to use for the missile style switch? Ideally I'd have a 2 way on off toggle switch (mostly just for looks), would this be momentary when connected? i.e. once flicked up for on it doesn't keep the button pressed? And flicking it back to off maintains its off state rather than closing the circuit again?

Apart from this I'm pretty much set and can't wait to have one of these, especially if I can get it to look like Jerry555's!

Thanks

I wasn't sure also about switches being maintained, so I didn't wire those switches up.
The missile switches, are those the red safety switches that I use.
With these switches, when the covers are up you can switch them on, (switch up) but when you put the switch cover back down, the switch will go off, (switch down)..
Have fun with you box, don't forget to put all pics up, so we can see how you are doing....

TheReaper GT
19-07-2015, 20:27
There are secure switches with only one position and return spring.

therealzissou
19-07-2015, 23:30
I wasn't sure also about switches being maintained, so I didn't wire those switches up.
The missile switches, are those the red safety switches that I use.
With these switches, when the covers are up you can switch them on, (switch up) but when you put the switch cover back down, the switch will go off, (switch down)..
Have fun with you box, don't forget to put all pics up, so we can see how you are doing....

Yeh, I think I'll probably do the same then. I'll definitely put the missile covers on even if the switches aren't fully functional as they really complete that 'race car' look. Hopefully should have the stuff in the next few days so I should have something by the end of the week. And I will of course put up some pics :) Cheers

Yeh SOI TheReaper, I think i'll try and get ones like that, thanks.

TheReaper GT
19-07-2015, 23:37
Yeh, I think I'll probably do the same then. I'll definitely put the missile covers on even if the switches aren't fully functional as they really complete that 'race car' look. Hopefully should have the stuff in the next few days so I should have something by the end of the week. And I will of course put up some pics :) Cheers

Yeh SOI TheReaper, I think i'll try and get ones like that, thanks.

See if you find a red emergency button, those tha have a little wall outside, like this (maybe map for P, to pause your game):

Those switches are easily found in industrial machinery shops.

wyldanimal
20-07-2015, 03:17
Unless you're interfacing with a small PLC or something like an Arduino,

All the Switches are connected to a Keyboard interface..

On a Keyboard, The Keys are all momentary.

So using a keyboard interface you rightly can't use Maintained missile Switches, with out some type of circuit.

I started a keyboard based box, but decided to Abandon that..

Here's what I ordered to start my button Box..
Arduino based..
with 6 rotary switches..
CW = +
CCW = -
1 for each of the seat adjustments, brake bias, and front / rear sway bars

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11286 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/6/9/5/3/11286-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11966 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/4/6/11971-11966-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11968 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/4/8/11968-11973-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11969 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/4/9/11969-11974-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11993 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/8/5/11993-01..jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11967 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/4/7/11967-11972-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11996 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/8/8/11996-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9278 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/2/7/7/9/09278-2.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9276 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/2/7/7/7/09276-1.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11310 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/6/9/9/0/11310-01b.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11992 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/8/4/11992-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9182 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/2/6/1/8/09182-03-L.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10982 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/6/2/1/9/10982-01a.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10597 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/5/2/4/0/10597-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11059 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/6/4/3/1/11059-01a.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10063 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/4/3/3/7/10063-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11187 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/6/7/2/4/11187-01a.jpg

I'll post pics as the project progresses.

Bluedice
20-07-2015, 05:20
I've been using a Apple iMac Bluetooth wireless keyboard and it's working fine, so I guess that any BBox that is recognized as a keyboard will work just fine without any work being required by the devs side.

tgrey
20-07-2015, 13:13

So using a keyboard interface you rightly can't use Maintained missile Switches, with out some type of circuit.

Arduino based..
with 6 rotary switches..
CW = +
CCW = -

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11286 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/6/9/5/3/11286-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11966 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/4/6/11971-11966-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11968 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/4/8/11968-11973-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11969 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/4/9/11969-11974-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11993 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/8/5/11993-01..jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11967 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/4/7/11967-11972-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11996 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/8/8/11996-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9278 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/2/7/7/9/09278-2.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9276 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/2/7/7/7/09276-1.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11310 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/6/9/9/0/11310-01b.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11992 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/8/4/8/4/11992-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9182 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/2/6/1/8/09182-03-L.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10982 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/6/2/1/9/10982-01a.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10597 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/5/2/4/0/10597-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11059 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/6/4/3/1/11059-01a.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10063 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/4/3/3/7/10063-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11187 https://cdn.sparkfun.com/r/92-92/assets/parts/6/7/2/4/11187-01a.jpg

Very cool, I like the light up color coordinated buttons, great for racing in the dark. What's your plan for the joystick?

wyldanimal
20-07-2015, 17:01
Very cool, I like the light up color coordinated buttons, great for racing in the dark. What's your plan for the joystick?

the Joystick might be physically too big. So I also have the Miniature 5 way switch.

it will be the same as the Arrow Cursor keys, and Numeric keypad keys 2,4,6,8 = Look Left, Right Up, Down..

the 5 way switch also has a center (press ) button, no plan to use that.

Edit:
Had a better Idea for the rotary encoders..
I can use one rotary Selector Switch, to select the 6 different adjustment Modes.
then use One Rotary encoder for CW + and CCW - adjustments.

it will cut back on the number of encoders, the wiring, and Inputs needed.

we'll see as I start to build it how it goes.

tgrey
26-07-2015, 11:27
the Joystick might be physically too big. So I also have the Miniature 5 way switch.

it will be the same as the Arrow Cursor keys, and Numeric keypad keys 2,4,6,8 = Look Left, Right Up, Down..

the 5 way switch also has a center (press ) button, no plan to use that.

Edit:
Had a better Idea for the rotary encoders..
I can use one rotary Selector Switch, to select the 6 different adjustment Modes.
then use One Rotary encoder for CW + and CCW - adjustments.

it will cut back on the number of encoders, the wiring, and Inputs needed.

we'll see as I start to build it how it goes.

On the rotary encoder idea, I don't think I'd sacrifice ease of use during a race for ease of circuit design and implementation... I'd rather only have to fiddle with one knob at a time if possible. But that's my opinion, do what works for you.

Interesting idea with the joystick, I have a direction pad on my wheel I use for that. I couldn't imagine taking my hand off the wheel to look a direction. Again tho, that might just be me. If I do a build tho, I might use a similar idea for moving the seat.

Keep us updated as the build goes on!

Fre.Mo
04-08-2015, 18:09

Arduino based..
with 6 rotary switches..
CW = +
CCW = -

Interesting set of parts, I look forward to seing the progress of your project.
How will you use the toggle switch on/off? Is it always on or momentary?

BistoKid
04-08-2015, 22:14
Hi all, thinking of my first keyboard based button box and was wondering where to get vinyl stickers featured in another post. They were white on black and could be coloured with glow pens. I'm in the UK, any ideas??

TheReaper GT
04-08-2015, 22:30
Hi all, thinking of my first keyboard based button box and was wondering where to get vinyl stickers featured in another post. They were white on black and could be coloured with glow pens. I'm in the UK, any ideas??

Go to any print bureau, they can make it for you in any material, including glow print.

madmax2069
04-08-2015, 23:38

You can find a cheap label maker and do what you want. They have electric and manual versions. The lable itself can be different colors, as well as printed or stamped.

BistoKid
05-08-2015, 16:29
Thanks for the info Soi & MadMax

Fanatest
05-08-2015, 17:08
Thanks for the info Soi & MadMax

Are you on about the ones I made in Photoshop?

Fight-Test
05-08-2015, 19:43
http://www.ignitioncontrols.com/category-s/103.htm

good stickers

BistoKid
05-08-2015, 20:16

Yes Fanatest these are the ones I was referencing. Presumably I could set these up in Photoshop and get output to a vinyl adhesive sheet supplier?

Thanks Fanatest !!

tgrey
05-08-2015, 20:20
http://www.ignitioncontrols.com/category-s/103.htm

good stickers

Those do look really nice. A bit expensive considering how many I won't use, but very well done.

I don't know which ones you mean, got a link please?

Fight-Test
05-08-2015, 20:27
With permission from my good buddy over at Ignition Controls I would like to show you the three prototypes for PS4 which you can now order. They prototypes been tested and ready to go. I will further test mine when it arrives to make sure all is good and report back to him. He will be outta town for a few days and these are not listed on the site yet so shoot him a email if interested and he will get back to you.

Based on USB Keyboard quality lenovo boards. All include thick USB cable. They all have threaded holes for mounting including the diamond plate (two holes) from ram mount.

This one has 18 inputs. $69.95

This one has 16 inputs including the start button $69.95

This one has 28 inputs, cool rubber covered middle buttons and start button. $119.95

Two smaller ones ship for $10.00 worldwide while the larger is $15.00

Ill let you guys know how it works when it comes in and Ill post some pictures. You can go to the website and get the specs on the boxes as they are same size as the pc ones.

http://www.ignitioncontrols.com/default.asp

tgrey
05-08-2015, 20:45
With permission from my good buddy over at Ignition Controls I would like to show you the three prototypes for PS4 which you can now order. They prototypes been tested and ready to go. I will further test mine when it arrives to make sure all is good and report back to him. He will be outta town for a few days and these are not listed on the site yet so shoot him a email if interested and he will get back to you.

Based on USB Keyboard quality lenovo boards. All include thick USB cable. They all have threaded holes for mounting including the diamond plate (two holes) from ram mount.

This one has 28 inputs, cool rubber covered middle buttons and start button. $119.95

Ill let you guys know how it works when it comes in and Ill post some pictures. You can go to the website and get the specs on the boxes as they are same size as the pc ones.

I wish the buttons were varied in color like DSD, but different colored labels should do the trick.
Waiting for a review... but I think you just sold one right here!

Fight-Test
05-08-2015, 20:55
yea im just excited I wont have to make one myself. Im sure he will switch out the buttons for you. He asked me if I wanted him to add anything extra to mine so he must be pretty flexible.

Also the smaller ones only weighs 1.1 pound so you wont need a big ram mount or attachment if you plan on buying one.

tgrey
05-08-2015, 21:21
yea im just excited I wont have to make one myself. Im sure he will switch out the buttons for you. He asked me if I wanted him to add anything extra to mine so he must be pretty flexible.

That's awesome to hear! I was thinking some the two-way rotary encoders would be nice for things like brake bias and roll bar adjustments too. Would also probably make it feel a little less cramped... I usually race with gloves on and am a little worried the buttons will be too close together. Honestly, if I could just get the c1 or c2 controller for ps4, I'd probably do that.

Any idea how the non-momentary toggles are going to work? Do they keep sending the same key, or send once and quit? I honestly can't imagine a good use for a toggle since you'd have to return it to off, then flip it to on again to actually toggle something. Am I missing something with that?

Fight-Test
05-08-2015, 21:29
the longer ones go up or down and return to middle on there own. They are one function. The shorter two way toggles are one function up and a different one down and the switch returns to middle on its own. The Thrustmaster F1 rim has one way toggles that are the share, ps button and start button. They also return to middle. Rotary nobs should work fine also as I also know the 4 way encoder knobs will work.

these boxes are made just for PS4, the wiring is much different than the other boxes he sales but these will also work on a pc without any software.

tgrey
05-08-2015, 21:37
the longer ones go up or down and return to middle on there own. They are one function. The shorter two way toggles are one function up and a different one down and the switch returns to middle on its own. The Thrustmaster F1 rim has one way toggles that are the share, ps button and start button. They also return to middle.

Sorry, I'm really not *that* stupid... but I still don't understand ;) I don't know what you mean by longer and shorter... they look the same length to me. But that aside, I'll try rephrasing what you said, tell me if I am incorrect:

The momentary switches (shorter ones according to you) default in the middle position. Switching them up sends one key, switching them down sends a different key, and they returning to the middle on their own which sends nothing.

The one way toggles (longer ones according to you) also default in the middle position. Switching them up or down sends the same key, they will also return to the middle on their own which sends nothing.

Is that correct?

Fight-Test
05-08-2015, 21:43
I didn't do very good on the description, sorry about that. Yes correct, think of them just like a button.

tgrey
05-08-2015, 21:47
Cool thanks for your patience. Are you planning to do any sort of proper review (video or otherwise) when you get yours? I'm really excited to see these up close and in action.

Fight-Test
05-08-2015, 21:56
I will do some pictures and give my opinion on the quality and function for sure.

BistoKid
05-08-2015, 22:11
@tgrey. I don't know which ones you mean, got a link please?[/QUOTE]

Page 18 of this thread.

tgrey
05-08-2015, 22:24
@tgrey. I don't know which ones you mean, got a link please?

Page 18 of this thread.

Sweet, thanks. Those do look good!

Are you willing to/going to share a printable pdf? Not sure I'll use them yet, but I'm sure many people would.

edit: just realized you were the one who asked for them, not the one who made them ;)

Fanapryde
05-08-2015, 22:27
I will do some pictures and give my opinion on the quality and function for sure.
Can't wait...
Working on a scheme to see which would be best for my needs, some rotary's would be great...
So whenever I switch to PC, the box will still work ?

tgrey
05-08-2015, 22:31
Can't wait...
Working on a scheme to see which would be best for my feeds, some rotary's would be great...
So whenever I switch to PC, the box will still work ?

I don't see why this wouldn't work with a PC, it will basically just appear as a USB keyboard to the system, and sends key-presses. You can literally type with one if you open notepad or whatever.

As long as the PC game allows you to bind game functions to a keyboard it will work. May get a bit wonky if the game allows typing for chat, for example if you hit "c" to start chatting the button box would probably end up typing instead... but I'd imagine that's the worst of it.

Fanatest
05-08-2015, 22:50
@tgrey. I don't know which ones you mean, got a link please?

Page 18 of this thread.[/QUOTE]

I'll pop them up as soon as I get back from holiday :)
They arnt perfect but they are Great for a button box :)

ChrisK
06-08-2015, 01:01
I didn't do very good on the description, sorry about that. Yes correct, think of them just like a button.

Thanks for that link. Very interested.
May I just clarify for the longer switches; for a single switch, does it work like this...

If I push it up it will increase roll bar then return to middle,
If I push down it will decrease roll bar the return to middle.

Ie: one switch is programmable for 2 functions. In this case increase and decrease roll bar.

Thanks.

tgrey
06-08-2015, 01:08
Thanks for that link. Very interested.
May I just clarify for the longer switches; for a single switch, does it work like this...

If I push it up it will increase roll bar then return to middle,
If I push down it will decrease roll bar the return to middle.

Ie: one switch is programmable for 2 functions. In this case increase and decrease roll bar.

Thanks.

As I understood it, you've got it backwards. The *shorter* switches will do two functions, one for up, and a different one for down. The longer switches do the same function whether pushed up or down.

But yes, the shorter switches could be programmed to adjust roll bars + *or* - etc.

Same as the rotary encoders, turn left and you'll get -, turn right and you'll get +.

Fight-Test
06-08-2015, 13:36
As I understood it, you've got it backwards. The *shorter* switches will do two functions, one for up, and a different one for down. The longer switches do the same function whether pushed up or down.

But yes, the shorter switches could be programmed to adjust roll bars + *or* - etc.

Same as the rotary encoders, turn left and you'll get -, turn right and you'll get +.

yes this is 100% correct.

If you guys look at the Ricmotech button box you will see some rotary encoders that have 4 functions to them. So you could actually have, arb front on one and turn it up and down, then on the second you can have arb back on one, then brake bias on one and still have one left over. So 8 functions on one knob. These are compatible with what we need for ps4 as his boxes are based off a keyboard board and not a joystick board. Not sure where to find to order though. Alot of options out there.

ChrisK
06-08-2015, 13:49
Thanks guys.

tgrey
06-08-2015, 14:51
yes this is 100% correct.

If you guys look at the Ricmotech button box you will see some rotary encoders that have 4 functions to them. So you could actually have, arb front on one and turn it up and down, then on the second you can have arb back on one, then brake bias on one and still have one left over. So 8 functions on one knob. These are compatible with what we need for ps4 as his boxes are based off a keyboard board and not a joystick board. Not sure where to find to order though. Alot of options out there.

If you have 4 functions on a single rotary knob, how do you consistently adjust one function? It should be two per knob, one for up, and one for down... unless you're talking about a selector switch.

Fight-Test
06-08-2015, 16:44
They don't reset to zero physically but once u stop movement it auto zeros and stops adjusting. So right is always up and left always down. I don't know if I explained that well.

Fiz45
06-08-2015, 17:17

I wait for mine too ;) I will come back here to give my opinion after testing it.

Fanapryde
10-08-2015, 12:09
Somebody allready received / tested yet ??