PDA

View Full Version : Dead t300...a couple of revelations

zennmeister
17-06-2015, 23:10
So my 6 month old t300 recently died.

I won't go into detail of my wheel saga but the past few weeks I've had a couple of revelations, one of which we can participate here.

The first revelation is that Thrustmaster needs to release a diagnostic tool. Having a comprehensive diagnostic tool would alleviate so much speculation and give us more power to pinpoint where/what the problems are. Presently there's no way to tell if we're experiencing a software or hardware failure, or if it's a potential PS4, developer or TM issue. It would also streamline customer service inquiries don't you think? I'll also mention that TM needs a course in creating good user interfaces.

The second revelation is we need a centralized database (TM, Fanatec, Logitech so far) for users to report their successes and wheel failures. This one we can do something about but requires a large bank of user input. I know there's a lot of grey area as each experience is personal but presently there is absolutely no data. We have to compile experiences from various sources and find the trends ourselves.

Since most PS4 wheel owners are playing Project Cars, this forum is a great platform to start a wheel survey (I know I hate that word too). Right now I'm not too sure how to go about it but at least we have a centralized space to look. Since I'm on PS4 exclusively, that's a where I can begin unless directed otherwise.

Here's a start:

1. Wheel manufacture and model
2. Approximate date of purchase
3. Average hours/day or hours/week of wheel use
4. Overall wheel performance on a scale of 0-10 (0=brick; 10=excellent)
Optional: Those with problems, please list and briefly describe them (including those experienced in other games)
Optional: Those with a positive experience, briefly describe why.

*** NOTE: This thread is NOT the survey. I'll start the actual survey thread if the response is positive and with WMD's blessing. ***

So what say you?

IrideGravity
18-06-2015, 02:24
Have you ever seen a thrustmaster rep around here to stand behind their products? Try an instill confidence for their future? Buyers are already trying to unload these on ebay and thrustmaster could care less about addressing it.

I said awhile ago this might get ugly, there'd be failures, and I was worried these were not top quality wheels. Seen nothing but SMS create distance and a nonexistent TM presence. Despite the steady increase in negative noise surrounding them.

"I'd say" were looking at an inferior product, with lackluster customer support to go with it from what "I've seen" posted around here and through experience with my t300.

zennmeister
18-06-2015, 03:13
I'm not really here to vent since it counterproductive. It is what it is.
I just thought a centralized database of both good and bad experiences is needed.
The results could be revealing provided enough users participate.

IrideGravity
18-06-2015, 03:29
I'm not really here to vent since it counterproductive. It is what it is.
I just thought a centralized database of both good and bad experiences is needed.
The results could be revealing provided enough users participate.

I was speaking directly to the reality of anyone seeing or paying attention to proposed list. Not a vent. Just observations bud. I've never vented here yet.

zennmeister
18-06-2015, 05:02
The manufacturers have no reason to pay attention unless there's enough data to affect purchasing decisions. Why would they?
It's up to the user base to compile this data. And like you said "what you've seen posted" are bits and pieces of information culled from various sources.
10 posts on a forum makes little impact. 100 user input does. Add time and frequency of use and there, you have some usable data.

I'd like to think that potential and existing customers would like to know if a certain product has a reported failure rate of 40% or 10% after 6 months or 2 years.
I can't convince you to see value in this. You have to see it yourself.

Voxen
18-06-2015, 05:03
Just return your wheel for exchange under warranty. Why trying to make simple things complicated?

IrideGravity
18-06-2015, 09:20
The manufacturers have no reason to pay attention unless there's enough data to affect purchasing decisions. Why would they?
It's up to the user base to compile this data. And like you said "what you've seen posted" are bits and pieces of information culled from various sources.
10 posts on a forum makes little impact. 100 user input does. Add time and frequency of use and there, you have some usable data.

I'd like to think that potential and existing customers would like to know if a certain product has a reported failure rate of 40% or 10% after 6 months or 2 years.
I can't convince you to see value in this. You have to see it yourself.

I appreciate and applaud your efforts. Truly noble cause and I concur. Sorry if I was blunt in pointing out how stuff like this just gets ignored anyway. I'm frustrated.

zennmeister
19-06-2015, 00:00
@Voxen...I've been in the process of striking a deal for a CSW V2 and the t300 is already gone. Whether this happens or not has no bearing on me.
My efforts were only to support all wheel users.

Since only one has voiced any opinion after 24 hrs, I'll bump this once and let it die on the vine.

lordymatsuo
19-06-2015, 07:50
This is my main reason why I am yet to buy a wheel. I was hoping to get the G29 but after hearing all crap about that I'm now leaning back to the T300 but worried about the number of dead units which I have seen reported on forums etc.

Sankyo
19-06-2015, 07:55
Moved to Off Topic since not related to pCARS directly.

IrideGravity
20-06-2015, 19:12
This is my main reason why I am yet to buy a wheel. I was hoping to get the G29 but after hearing all crap about that I'm now leaning back to the T300 but worried about the number of dead units which I have seen reported on forums etc.

Which is the crap your hearing about Logitech.? That it's just the same as the g27? That means it's a proven winner! It's too expensive now? I promise you someone, ahem (Sony), is forcing the price increase because the market will bear it. Wheels have cost about the same since ps2 days and a lot of them are bulletproof and still running. They needed a lower quality wheel at a higher price to increase profit margins. Sony made sure TM got licensed, charged higher prices, and used a less robust design. then setup Logitech to come in and clean it up after TM goes away. There's a reason Logitech are not following in TM's footsteps with the dual belt design. It's crap. They have no problem selling you a unit after TM's break, and neither does Sony. That's why Sony made Logitech late to the party and setup TM first.

IrideGravity
20-06-2015, 19:30
Moved to Off Topic since not related to pCARS directly.

Haha. Does this work to nerf a thread?. I noticed this thread does not count tallies viewed or replied to. also does not update and move back to top when replied to. Why is that! Why would a mod intentionally hide or devalue a thread like this?
What's happening here. Is this collusion between TM and PCars? Are you intentionally burying negative TM threads? That's what this looks like or appears to be. Do you have an agreement of some kind with TM?
Never mind. Does what it's supposed to in off topic.
I see what u did here. Just not why. Other than to nerf or hide a thread. But I know the why doesn't matter to a mod or employee of SMS. Shady. Not off topic at all. Haha.

Remco. I know you might come in here with some reason or excuse for moving it, but at the end of the day it happened to the OP while he was playing "project cars on playstation 4".
Hilarious and ever so transparent.
Move it to off topic instead of technical support. :confused: Yeah ok, nothing to see here.

Mark Quigley
20-06-2015, 19:45
Haha. Does this work to nerf a thread?. I noticed this thread does not count tallies viewed or replied to. also does not update and move back to top when replied to. Why is that! Why would a mod intentionally hide or devalue a thread like this?
What's happening here. Is this collusion between TM and PCars? Are you intentionally burying negative TM threads? That's what this looks like or appears to be. Do you have an agreement of some kind with TM?
Never mind. Does what it's supposed to in off topic.
I see what u did here. Just not why. Other than to nerf or hide a thread. But I know the why doesn't matter to a mod or employee of SMS. Shady. Not off topic at all. Haha.

Remco. I know you might come in here with some reason or excuse for moving it, but at the end of the day it happened to the OP while he was playing "project cars on playstation 4".
Hilarious and ever so transparent.
Move it to off topic instead of technical support. :confused: Yeah ok, nothing to see here.

I have never seen this reaction to a mod moving a post before, are you ok? :p

IrideGravity
20-06-2015, 19:54

Yeah I'm fine. Just looking for an explanation as to how something that happened in "project cars on playstation 4" got removed from a thread with EXACTLY that title. Can't help you if it went over your head and you miss the point. Read it and respond appropriately or don't waste a post IMO.
I'm asking why the move was appropriate or needed.? And voicing concerns about the legitimacy of doing it to this particular post which clearly fits and belongs in the main "project cars on ps4" thread

TrevorAustin
20-06-2015, 20:27

I wish you hadn't quoted that:) defeats some of the forum functionality, lol.

Mark Quigley
20-06-2015, 20:33
What I read in the opening post was, tell us what wheel you are using and your experiences.
I'm sure the op would like to know my experiences with the t300 but I am a pc user, I see you are too.
I think there are quite a few issues with thrustmaster, project cars, ps4 and how the ffb works, I think the op wants to nail the problems down.
I think some problems with project cars and the t300 are not exclusive to the ps4, to put this type of post in the ps4 section will exclude other t300 users.

Rustyjaw
22-06-2015, 18:11
My TX is a year old and still working as new so not all TM products are bad. I had a T500 before this and again, no issues. Sorry to hear about the T300 though.

I'll also chime in that my T300 is over 6 months old now, played a LOT of hours on it, and no issues. Of course people who have no problems are unlikely to post about it...

zennmeister
24-06-2015, 20:19
lol, I haven't checked this thread since it was moved.
One of my hopes was to identify which "batches" exhibit more problems than others or if the PS4 interface is more problematic than other platforms.

In any case, thanks for the input but I doubt this will get much traction in the basement.