PDA

View Full Version : Oculus Rift User feedback

Krieger_Rift
18-06-2015, 08:26
Hi,

New to the forums. I've had pCars since the live release (have the Hall of Fame done, working on the other stuff) and play it most days on my Oculus Rift / DFGT+custom paddles setup.

Frankly its amazing, so - thanks!

Some feedback points as a VR user as I can't see a feedback forum section. A couple of things that would be nice to see.

1 - Render to Rift only for Race. So by default you have to set the Rift as Primary Display and use the On/Off button when loading up a race to play in VR. It'd be good if the main game opened on the main 2D monitor and when you clicked 'Race' the game rendered to the Rift/Secondary monitor.

2- I assume menus in race are being looked at because it's painful right now. I appreciate that main menus might be trickier and am more than happy to utilise the Rift's On/Off button to move the game between monitors for now but when in the race, if you hit Escape you can't see any menu options at all.

3- VR loading screens. Real easy this one. If Oculus Rift is set up then the loading screens (those 2D loading images of the circuit) should be set for VR/Stereoscopic. I have a VR stereoscopic image on my desktop wallpaper so when I put my rift on for demos the static image of my wallpaper is actually a 3D screenshot of a game i was playing. Hurts the brain a LOT less and is a really easy/quick win.

4- Start lights. These are currently in the centre of the screen for a flat screen user and a VR user. You simply can't see the start lights clearly. Just a hint that they're there. You see a pixel or two in the centre of your FOV and wait for it to disappear to signal a race start.

Some of those things are easy and some are likely hard but I can tell you what you've already heard, I'm sure, this game is pure gold on VR.

One general point I'd like to make on just the game. Is it possible that at the end of a race you can see your individual race broken down by laps and sectors? Currently you only see your best lap/sector and gaps which isn't great if you're working on a hot lap or working on consistency.

My favorite race setup is Marek LMP1 / Leman 24 hours / 20 laps / Pro setup+ABS / Time progression 40x start 18:00 - Best way to spend 90 minutes :D

menidi
18-06-2015, 08:43
Hey Krieger - can you please share your PC specs? I have real troubles running my newly bought dk2.

Krieger_Rift
18-06-2015, 08:53
Sure!

AMD FX8350 Black Edition
AMD R290X 4Gb
16Gb Corsair Ram (not sure which speed. I think 1300?)
ASUS FX Sabretooth MOBO

Runs for me no problem using latest Oculus Runtime 0.6.

What problems specifically are you having?

I expect you need a bigger graphics card to be honest. 750TI is OK for LFS I'd expect but you need something a bit more beefy for a game like this.

TrevorAustin
18-06-2015, 09:13
Hey Krieger - can you please share your PC specs? I have real troubles running my newly bought dk2.

Have you read the reply i gave to your other post?

Krieger_Rift
18-06-2015, 09:42
I did actually have on point I wanted to raise that I forgot from my OP:

Can you put in fuel gauges please? On the dashboard. I don't care really what my Oil or Water temp is, even though these are often given a lot of steering wheel real estate. I have no idea what my fuel level is at, or what my lap number is. I'd like to see these on an LMP1 steering wheel. Fuel / Lap counter allows me to judge my stint length, when I should be pushing the last out of my tyres etc.

The Marek LMP1 steering wheel display does show lap deltas (although it doesn't update anywhere often enough) and best lap time, as well as current track position.

Fuel level and Lap Counter are much much much much more important, to be honest.

If Fuel level can't be put in car can you at least get the Pit crew to call me in when I get low? I've run to empty a few times on long races and it's annoying that all the pit crew tells me is to 'try to overtake on the last corner' when the AI is 15 seconds in front.

Naz
18-06-2015, 10:17
Hi Krieger

Agree with your points and from what I've read in various boards most of those issues are being worked on I believe.

Regarding the fuel indicator/lap times etc; ... I haven't spent much time in a LMP1 car but in most cars that have a motec display there are several "pages" of information available on the display that you can cycle through. There is a button in your controls menu which you can bind to your wheel buttons which will change the motec display page...try that and cycle them through next time you drive.

Again, I haven't spent time in those cars so I am not sure if they have that particular info but I'd be surprised if they don't.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
:)

davideliasirwin
18-06-2015, 11:02
It would be nice for them to update their build to use the new oculus 0.6.0.0 sdk and implement the new features that came with it(most notably timewarp).

Other than that, I occasionally get a sort of flicker where it seems to flash a render of the drivers body a few feet in front of where it is supposed to be.

TrevorAustin
18-06-2015, 12:46
I did actually have on point I wanted to raise that I forgot from my OP:

Can you put in fuel gauges please? On the dashboard. I don't care really what my Oil or Water temp is, even though these are often given a lot of steering wheel real estate. I have no idea what my fuel level is at, or what my lap number is. I'd like to see these on an LMP1 steering wheel. Fuel / Lap counter allows me to judge my stint length, when I should be pushing the last out of my tyres etc.

The Marek LMP1 steering wheel display does show lap deltas (although it doesn't update anywhere often enough) and best lap time, as well as current track position.

Fuel level and Lap Counter are much much much much more important, to be honest.

If Fuel level can't be put in car can you at least get the Pit crew to call me in when I get low? I've run to empty a few times on long races and it's annoying that all the pit crew tells me is to 'try to overtake on the last corner' when the AI is 15 seconds in front.

My pit crew are always annoying me telling me I have to pit 2 laps before I actually do. Can't even cancel it, so I spend the last 2 laps of every race being nagged!

TrevorAustin
18-06-2015, 12:48
It would be nice for them to update their build to use the new oculus 0.6.0.0 sdk and implement the new features that came with it(most notably timewarp).

Other than that, I occasionally get a sort of flicker where it seems to flash a render of the drivers body a few feet in front of where it is supposed to be.

The first part I understand is in an imminent patch.

I get that, a white flash every now and again, can't work out what it is.

The other thing that drives me crazy is the sun shining THROUGH the roof of a closed car and completely blinding me:)

davideliasirwin
18-06-2015, 13:02
In my opinion it seems that the "flicker" is caused by the dk2 camera re-initializing. I feel like the camera -> re-initializes -> gets the coordinates set by the user -> set position at those coordinates. It happens very quickly, but given the fact that I can see the driver body for a split second leads me to believe that this is the bug.

TrevorAustin
18-06-2015, 13:31
In my opinion it seems that the "flicker" is caused by the dk2 camera re-initializing. I feel like the camera -> re-initializes -> gets the coordinates set by the user -> set position at those coordinates. It happens very quickly, but given the fact that I can see the driver body for a split second leads me to believe that this is the bug.

That might well be what it is, although I felt it happens at specific places on a track to me, but I've not really been concentrating on it.

davideliasirwin
18-06-2015, 13:43
I have never noticed a connection between position on track and occurrence of the bug, I will definitely pay more attention to that. Thanks

Krieger_Rift
18-06-2015, 14:45
Hi Krieger

Agree with your points and from what I've read in various boards most of those issues are being worked on I believe.

Regarding the fuel indicator/lap times etc; ... I haven't spent much time in a LMP1 car but in most cars that have a motec display their are several "pages" of information available on the display that you can cycle through. There is a button in your controls menu which you can bind to your wheel buttons which will change the motec display page...try that and cycle them through next time you drive.

Again, I haven't spent time in those cars so I am not sure if they have that particular info but I'd be surprised if they don't.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
:)

Thanks alot. If this work's ill be very happy!

Krieger_Rift
18-06-2015, 14:46

Yup I get this too. Only a frame but it's immersion breaking. I can live with it if they address other issues though.

davideliasirwin
19-06-2015, 11:54
I have never noticed a connection between position on track and occurrence of the bug, I will definitely pay more attention to that. Thanks

I tested this last night and I can confirm that I did not see a relationship between track position and occurrence of the bug.

Krieger_Rift
19-06-2015, 14:26
Agree, I tested last night and did not see any correlation between track position and this issue. I did it on Circuit de Sathe, so it's a long circuit with many corners. It happened randomly over the circuit over a 2 hours race. Maybe 4-5 occurences from memory.

davideliasirwin
19-06-2015, 17:59
Agree, I tested last night and did not see any correlation between track position and this issue. I did it on Circuit de Sathe, so it's a long circuit with many corners. It happened randomly over the circuit over a 2 hours race. Maybe 4-5 occurences from memory.

I tested on road america with Formula C, I was getting the bug 3-4 per lap.

Naz
20-06-2015, 10:27
Hi again Krieger

Just to let you know I tried a LMP1 car today (the RWD one I think it was). Cycling through the motec displays was available in that car and all the information you wanted was indeed present.

Have fun :)