PDA

View Full Version : Road america, very surprised at the surface

TrevorAustin
18-06-2015, 21:39
Drove it for the first time tonight. Very surprised! Looks like its in the middle of being resurfaced :) what a very ugly track, abandoned airfield with a few buildings, not at all what i expected!

Back to the european circuits for me.

LordDRIFT
18-06-2015, 21:43
Admittedly ovals get way more love than road courses here. Understandably but unfortunately so.

Schnizz58
18-06-2015, 21:51
Sure you were on the right track? I'm pretty sure Road America was originally built on public roads not an abandoned airfield. Many of the tracks in the UK on the other hand...

Now Sebring is a different story. That track is garbage but that's part of the challenge.

RDogg
18-06-2015, 21:59
You race for the scenery? Pft. Concentrate on how fast you are going, not what the countryside looks like.

TrevorAustin
18-06-2015, 22:01
Partly yes, that was one of the biggest selling points of this game :) otherwise we might as well go back to a few lines of vector graphics and not worry about all this computing power, lol.

xXDoc187Xx
18-06-2015, 22:01
Now Sebring is a different story. That track is garbage but that's part of the challenge.

You can't be serious, Sebring is way better than Road America.... I don't know whats the deal with Americans and going fast on long straightaways.....

TrevorAustin
18-06-2015, 22:02
Sure you were on the right track? I'm pretty sure Road America was originally built on public roads not an abandoned airfield. Many of the tracks in the UK on the other hand...

The surface looks worse than an abandoned wwII airfield in my opinion yes:)

DoctorKajita
19-06-2015, 00:19
I quite like Road America. Challenging and dynamic with all the elevation changes.

Sonoma and Laguna are also favorites of mine, partly because I used to race / ride there. May not be the prettiest, but the imperfections are what make them charming.

It would be a shame not to have them part of the game.

MutantOctane
19-06-2015, 00:53
Never much liked Road America. Much prefer Road Atlanta, circuit Americas, Watkins, or Infineon

yusupov
19-06-2015, 00:56
You can't be serious, Sebring is way better than Road America.... I don't know whats the deal with Americans and going fast on long straightaways.....

sebring looks like trash & as schnizz says drives like trash, but that is what makes it sebring. its a great track.

i have no idea what OP is talking about, i think he mixed up RA with silverstone possibly. road america is quite beautiful as are many american tracks (surprisingly).

Slowsley
19-06-2015, 01:53
I don't know whats the deal with Americans and going fast on long straightaways.....

You're high. You gotta be high, right? I'm trying to come up with major circuits outside of the U.S. with at least one reasonable straight and like, every single one comes to mind.

bc525
19-06-2015, 05:57
Drove it for the first time tonight. Very surprised! Looks like its in the middle of being resurfaced :) what a very ugly track, abandoned airfield with a few buildings, not at all what i expected!

This just doesn't make sense to me. Road America (Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin) is a purpose built race track (definitely not an abandoned airfield and definitely not in the middle of resurfacing), and it wanders through the countryside. I've been to this track in person many times, and it's a fantastic track with very nice facilities and a great atmosphere.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding TrevorAustin here, but there's no way that the OP is describing Road America.

TrevorAustin
19-06-2015, 06:57
Lol, I'm giving my personal subjective opinion of the track named road america i drove a few uninspiring laps of last night.

I didn't mix it up with anything else.

Yes the countryside was lovely, but the track, imo, looked like a very old abandoned unsurfaced concrete mess. That is what roads over here look like whwn the surface has been removed ready for a completely new surface.

If you disagree and love it fine, you drive it and i won't.

bc525
19-06-2015, 07:10
No worries. Yeah, I disagree - Road America is one of my favorite tracks. Not a big deal, I was just a bit confused by your "abandoned airfield" comment. To me that meant the track was way out in the middle of nowhere with just a few buildings present.

Racer4711
19-06-2015, 07:30
One of my favourite Race Tracks (since i have seen it for the first time on TV with Indycars 20 years ago), great location and surroundings IMHO.
Some nice elevations and - most important - a fantastic track layout. I'm in love and more than happy, that RA is within PC, who cares about the surface...

BCFCBristolRed
19-06-2015, 08:03
Road America is wonderful to drive. I love every twist, turn, elevation change and straight. Awesome track.

stux
19-06-2015, 08:17
No worries. Yeah, I disagree - Road America is one of my favorite tracks. Not a big deal, I was just a bit confused by your "abandoned airfield" comment. To me that meant the track was way out in the middle of nowhere with just a few buildings present.

I know what you mean by the surface, was my first impression too

Thing to remember is that often American interstates are like that too... concrete not ashphalt

(not saying its a problem, its probably utterly realistic)

http://www.quora.com/In-the-United-States-why-are-most-highways-made-of-concrete-while-most-streets-are-made-of-asphalt

Alan Dallas
19-06-2015, 08:54
I know what you mean by the surface, was my first impression too

Thing to remember is that often American interstates are like that too... concrete not ashphalt

(not saying its a problem, its probably utterly realistic)

http://www.quora.com/In-the-United-States-why-are-most-highways-made-of-concrete-while-most-streets-are-made-of-asphalt
Road America is not concrete. The original surface is a VERY light asphalt. Has to do with the aggregate that was used in making the asphalt. It does have patches of darker asphalt in some corners were sections were replaced because of rutting and aggregate polishing. Hence it can look a bit patch work even though its very smooth.

TrevorAustin
19-06-2015, 09:06
Road America is not concrete. The original surface is a VERY light asphalt. Has to do with the aggregate that was used in making the asphalt. It does have patches of darker asphalt in some corners were sections were replaced because of rutting and aggregate polishing. Hence it can look a bit patch work even though its very smooth.

I think that's the overall impression i got, surprised it's asphalt, but makes sense as grip was ok. Wasn't a big fan of the layout either, but that's the beauty of having ao many tracks, something for everyone

Panopticism
19-06-2015, 10:35
I absolutely love that track, and they've done a really good job recreating it in the sim. It feels just right. If they'd added the ability to get eaten alive by flying insects the moment the sun begins to tuck behind the trees, I'd swear it were the real thing.

What didn't you like about the layout? The track has almost everything. Long straights, short straights, slow speed corners, high speed corners, increasing radius, decreasing radius, kinks, elevation changes that keep braking interesting... the only things it doesn't have are classic hairpins and textbook multi-apex corners. It even has some run off.

How many airfields have you seen with that sort of elevation change, and dense forestry? It's also obviously not going to have the space-age architecture of a modern Grand Prix circuit.

Mahjik
19-06-2015, 15:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHOBIBf84e8

It's a great track for multi-class racing as well as the higher horsepower cars. Not a lot of fun driving RA with something like a Miata, but any track is better than no track. ;)

TrevorAustin
19-06-2015, 15:10
I absolutely love that track, and they've done a really good job recreating it in the sim. It feels just right. If they'd added the ability to get eaten alive by flying insects the moment the sun begins to tuck behind the trees, I'd swear it were the real thing.

What didn't you like about the layout? The track has almost everything. Long straights, short straights, slow speed corners, high speed corners, increasing radius, decreasing radius, kinks, elevation changes that keep braking interesting... the only things it doesn't have are classic hairpins and textbook multi-apex corners. It even has some run off.

How many airfields have you seen with that sort of elevation change, and dense forestry? It's also obviously not going to have the space-age architecture of a modern Grand Prix circuit.

I think that's probably where I'm spoilt, I thought the actual track surface looked cheap and uncared for, the scenery lovely and I am spoilt by GP circuits, I've grown up loving F1 and that's pretty much ALL the Motorsport I've ever watched except for a couple of years of Le Mans.

yusupov
19-06-2015, 15:11
dont ever look at sebring, you may get physically ill :)

Howie
19-06-2015, 15:54
Ya'll might be interested in watching this (http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/118172-pirelli-world-challenge-returns-to-america-s-national-park-of-speed-over-100-drivers-set-to-battle-at-road-america) at Road America next weekend. I believe it'l be streamed? Maybe on YouTube. World Challenge TV

SpaceGhost1911
19-06-2015, 16:04
I personally love the tracks like Road America, Mid-Ohio, and Sebring (just to name a few). COTA to me is absolute rubbish. It's no more than a huge plot of asphalt with a race track painted onto it. This movement of racetracks and their acres of painted runoffs is just disgusting (in my opinion). With that being said though to each their own. There are some of us that like the old school circuits and there are others that like the new style circuits. Thankfully pCARS has provided a great mix of both!

RomKnight
19-06-2015, 16:10
IT is not that I dislike RA but Sebring is much better indeed.

Visually speaking I only look at the tarmac far ahead or the mirrors :p

Schnizz58
19-06-2015, 16:38
I personally love the tracks like Road America, Mid-Ohio, and Sebring (just to name a few). COTA to me is absolute rubbish. It's no more than a huge plot of asphalt with a race track painted onto it. This movement of racetracks and their acres of painted runoffs is just disgusting (in my opinion). With that being said though to each their own. There are some of us that like the old school circuits and there are others that like the new style circuits. Thankfully pCARS has provided a great mix of both!
Agreed. I'm enjoying all the old classic British tracks like Oulton Park, Donnington, Snetterton and especially Brands Hatch. I'd love to see Road Atlanta in the game though. Mid-Ohio would be another good one.

I want to clarify my earlier statement about Sebring. It's a mix of concrete and asphalt and it's very bumpy in places. That last turn is a real booger to get right. It's not what you'd end up with if you started out today and designed a purpose-built track. On the other hand it's got quirks and idiosyncrasies that give it tons of character. So I'm not a Sebring hater; I enjoy the challenge of e-racing there.

Gamingoneasy
19-06-2015, 17:07
Remember taking on one of my Daughters friends on Road America on the first Forza game years ago.

Teenager thought he was gonna kick butt , ha didnt happen he couldnt get near me. Love this track, great for hot laps.

Jezza819
19-06-2015, 20:52
It's a great track for multi-class racing as well as the higher horsepower cars. Not a lot of fun driving RA with something like a Miata, but any track is better than no track. ;)

One of the better finishes at Road America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDvdRlSlYA0

funknerraw
19-06-2015, 21:33

Wow, that was a sick finish. Only wish I could sim race like that lol

Kitt
19-06-2015, 21:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDvdRlSlYA0 Got no nails left after watching that lol

John Hargreaves
19-06-2015, 22:26
There are some pretty big ruts just behind the kerbs that can grab you and chuck you off, so you need to treat them with respect, I guess this adds to the atmosphere and character of the track.

Grim80
19-06-2015, 22:57
I'm doing Road America in my GT3 career in the RUF, it's a challenging track and I'm struggling to get on 100% AI pace, I love the American tracks in general though, Laguna, Watkins, Sebring and Road Atlanta are awesome.

hoodi4cars
19-06-2015, 23:04
Just raced Road America for the first time too, and I got to agree that this tracks looks a bit.. comic-like imo. Maybe it is because of the track textures, which seem very bright and not realistically illuminated. At least that was my initial impression when the track loaded up. Don't know, but somehow you have the feeling the track is from a whole other game when you compare it to the other tracks. Except for willow springs, which also looks kind of ugly. But I guess in that case it's really because of the dead environment there.

But anyways, if there is one thing that you really cannot complain about in pCARS, it is its huge, varied and high-class track selection. I've never seen that many so fun-to-drive tracks in any game (maybe iRacing when you spent a few hundred bucks). My favorites so far are Zolder, Barcelona, Wood Park, Sakkuti (or whatever it is called), and Sonoma. :)

Martini Da Gasalini
19-06-2015, 23:08

Back to the european circuits for me.

We like our Road courses old and decrepit :)

Unless it's Circuit of the Americas

Martini Da Gasalini
19-06-2015, 23:19

Fricken WOW :eagerness:

Alan Dallas
20-06-2015, 03:31

Whoa! Now there's a blast from the past. I watched that race live. :D

Jezza819
21-06-2015, 03:03
Whoa! Now there's a blast from the past. I watched that race live. :D

I did too. That's why that finish has always stayed with me.

Stones
21-06-2015, 04:37
I think if you go to the track as I do, every year (Hawk International Challenge), you appreciate the track in game much more.
It's actually quite a scenic place. Check it out, if you get a chance.

Linus27
21-06-2015, 08:30
Well I am biased as Sebring is my all time favourite track and I would love to have it in Pcars but I do like Road America.

I hope we get more American/Canadian tracks and the ability to create our own championships. My choice would be,

Sebring
Mid Ohio
Watkins Glen
Long Beach
Road America
Mosport
Infineon
Road Atlanta
VIR
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Umer Ahmad
21-06-2015, 08:37
I think if you go to the track as I do, every year (Hawk International Challenge), you appreciate the track in game much more.
It's actually quite a scenic place. Check it out, if you get a chance.
agree, I'll be there in August for TUDOR. The PWC weekend @ end of JUNE looks to be pretty action packed too. I just love walking around the infield to all the sections of the track.

jsykes
21-06-2015, 22:09
I think the textures in the game are a give it the pretty gritty feeling which gives it the concrete look. Its just a really light asphalt and actually pretty smooth. Here are a couple photos of it.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52253e13e4b01cea4fd95883/5225411fe4b05ca11e679b88/522544a0e4b00ee5ef2d5f3c/1378174120104/Road+America+08_3175.jpg

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52253e13e4b01cea4fd95883/5225411fe4b05ca11e679b88/52292fbae4b0abcfdb46c74a/1378430908966/_DSC0382.jpg