PDA

View Full Version : Mr Bell,....Is there plans for a manual?

OverHaased
18-06-2015, 21:48
I for one would pay cash money for a comprehensive user manual. Seriously I would even subscribe to a monthly magazine style periodical that could have clubs, leagues and events advertised. You could produce this in house with simple desktop publishing applications.

Think of the revenue stream, not just from us subscribers but the wheel, pedal and cockpit manufactures, as well as XBONE, PS and even some of the specialized PC builders.

I realize you folks are dang busy and all but if this went live it should easily become yet another first for Project Cars.

If you do make millions off this idea you think you might get me a deal on Project Cars 2?:beguiled:

bizmo
18-06-2015, 23:33
I would settle for, maybe prefer, mouseovers.

Beagle Five
18-06-2015, 23:57
Or how about a free forum on the internet!

Please stop this "mr bell" stuff, lets just have an ordinary forum. If he or anybody else from the studio answers then thats great but please dont ask for it. What are you going to do if he doesnt answer? Sell the game? Start a boycot thread?

OverHaased
19-06-2015, 00:04
Or how about a free forum on the internet!

Please stop this "mr bell" stuff, lets just have an ordinary forum. If he or anybody else from the studio answers then thats great but please dont ask for it. What are you going to do if he doesnt answer? Sell the game? Start a boycot thread?

Lighten up Frances, geesh.

I was not complaining, I was asking if a complex game could have a user manual. My Barbecue came with a manual. I even said I would pay for it.

This "free" Forum is friggen awesome and I have had so many questions answered using it. But a Manual is a completely different thing and would be an answer to all these multiple threads that keep popping up asking the same questions over and over.

The SMS staff and all the Moderators could have a default link they would just post when one of us ask another serial question.

Hope you have a better day, and I mean that.

crunchy1X
19-06-2015, 01:16
I'd be happy just to get some help info on the screens that are missing it. A few of the setup/configuration/tuning screens have good information on each of the options. Other screens are completely void of any description of what an option does or how it works.

It would definitely be cool to start including some information on these screens in coming patches. ;)

Dynomight Motorsports
19-06-2015, 02:13
I would like recommended starting points for the FFB which is still a mystery to me. I never got that physics degree in College.

Nubooo
19-06-2015, 08:06
It would be nice to know what each of the settings do in controls option, for example controller filtering, steering sensitivity, some sound straight forward, but no reason why next to them it cant say what they do

PTG Claret
19-06-2015, 08:13
A manual - printed or a downloadable PDF would be the nuts. There are quite a few settings that I have absolutley no idea what they do.

It would be nice to have it all written down to reference.

STEELJOCKEY
19-06-2015, 08:44
It would be nice to know what each of the settings do in controls option, for example controller filtering, steering sensitivity, some sound straight forward, but no reason why next to them it cant say what they do

+1

Actually that might be +a few hundred going by all the threads and questions

Beagle Five
19-06-2015, 11:11

I was not complaining, I was asking if a complex game could have a user manual. My Barbecue came with a manual. I even said I would pay for it.

This "free" Forum is friggen awesome and I have had so many questions answered using it. But a Manual is a completely different thing and would be an answer to all these multiple threads that keep popping up asking the same questions over and over.

The SMS staff and all the Moderators could have a default link they would just post when one of us ask another serial question.

I think you read to much negativity into my reply.
And the "mr bell" wasnt directed towards you but all who asks for Ian all the time.
I am pretty sure everybody agrees that a manual would have been great, but feels like its to late at this point.

Sonic6L
19-06-2015, 11:17

Have you tried searching?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23153-Xbox-One-Controller-Configuration-Guide
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad

Even a Google Search brings it up:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=439605295%0APs4

Brent G
19-06-2015, 12:57
[QUOTE=OverHaased;1001327]Lighten up Frances, geesh.

A user manual would be great but there's not a chance in hell I'd pay cash money for it. Did you have to pay for the one that came with your BBQ?

FA RACING 01
19-06-2015, 13:09
[QUOTE=OverHaased;1001327]Lighten up Frances, geesh.

A user manual would be great but there's not a chance in hell I'd pay cash money for it. Did you have to pay for the one that came with your BBQ?

Then there's "no chance in hell" that you will get one. The forum guides and the ones referred to by Sonic6L are it. Sorry mate - it is how it is, but most around here will gladly guide you on your problems.

Ian Bell
19-06-2015, 13:30
We intend for this site to be a constantly updated living breathing 'manual'. Well, not literally but you get my meaning.

Maintaining this costs us more than a manual would, but it's better as it's interactive and non static.

I suspect the head of your barbecue company isn't on the forum all the time answering questions.

Raven403
19-06-2015, 13:42
We intend for this site to be a constantly updated living breathing 'manual'. Well, not literally but you get my meaning.

Maintaining this costs us more than a manual would, but it's better as it's interactive and non static.

I suspect the head of your barbecue company isn't on the forum all the time answering questions.

Perhaps, and I'm spit balling here, we can start a thread where commonly confused features and options were explained (by knowledgeable forum members) and it could serve as a FAQ thread that once complete could be stickied and maybe avoid the constant pop up of repeat threads?

On second thought there are already so many stickied threads I think the answers are already there, ppl just need to look

Davie675
19-06-2015, 13:47
I think a game that works would be better than any manual

PTG Claret
19-06-2015, 13:51
Have you tried searching?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23153-Xbox-One-Controller-Configuration-Guide
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad

Even a Google Search brings it up:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=439605295%0APs4

It's alot easier to have a manual to reference rather than googling everything. Most don't have a laptop next to their Xbox

OverHaased
19-06-2015, 13:51
I apologize if my request came off as some slight towards this forum, it was not. I am old school and being able to grab a book and look up what I need is just more "on the spot" then leaving my living room and getting on my computer and spending quite a bit of time diffusing the minutia while searching for an answer to a question as simple as; How the heck does the KRS system work? as an example. Or other equally banal queries.

I use this forum but the interactive attributes you mentioned actually make getting an answer quickly impossible.

There are several Gaming magazines out there and this game is becoming pretty popular so maybe one of them will focus a single issue to this and I will buy that.

Thank you for answering my question, and now could you point me towards that Barbeque Forum? I need to go see who has the best antiflare up recipe for a Porterhouse.

Ian Bell
19-06-2015, 14:08
I apologize if my request came off as some slight towards this forum, it was not. I am old school and being able to grab a book and look up what I need is just more "on the spot" then leaving my living room and getting on my computer and spending quite a bit of time diffusing the minutia while searching for an answer to a question as simple as; How the heck does the KRS system work? as an example. Or other equally banal queries.

I use this forum but the interactive attributes you mentioned actually make getting an answer quickly impossible.

There are several Gaming magazines out there and this game is becoming pretty popular so maybe one of them will focus a single issue to this and I will buy that.

Thank you for answering my question, and now could you point me towards that Barbeque Forum? I need to go see who has the best antiflare up recipe for a Porterhouse.

Excellent :)

Ixoye56
19-06-2015, 14:20
A monthly magazine (Digital) which highlights all the news, DLC, racing storys, club events, etc .. would be nice, I would pay for such a magazine.

Ian Bell
19-06-2015, 14:28
A monthly magazine (Digital) which highlights all the news, DLC, racing storys, club events, etc .. would be nice, I would pay for such a magazine.

To be made? :)

JessicaWalter
19-06-2015, 14:30
im too old to appreciate digital magazines. give me an old nintendo power or electronic gaming monthly and ill be occupied for hours

OverHaased
19-06-2015, 14:43
There was a recent DLC sold right?

If 1/4th of all the folks that bought the game bought the dlc that would still be well over a million bucks realized by SMS. Now for the same price as the DLC a person could have a manual mailed to them....

I really believe in my cold black heart that these would end up in the houses of at least 1/4 of the game owners if not twice that.

Now couple this potential boat load of earnings with the fact that the cost to produce and distribute this could easily be carried by advertisers such as ThrustMaster etc.....The Business owner inside me gets all goosebumpy over such a potential bananza.

Ian Bell
19-06-2015, 14:52
There was a recent DLC sold right?

If 1/4th of all the folks that bought the game bought the dlc that would still be well over a million bucks realized by SMS. Now for the same price as the DLC a person could have a manual mailed to them....

I really believe in my cold black heart that these would end up in the houses of at least 1/4 of the game owners if not twice that.

Now couple this potential boat load of earnings with the fact that the cost to produce and distribute this could easily be carried by advertisers such as ThrustMaster etc.....The Business owner inside me gets all goosebumpy over such a potential bananza.

I'll cut the winnings 50/50 with anyone who wants to create a 'for sale' manual.

Raven403
19-06-2015, 15:06
I'll cut the winnings 50/50 with anyone who wants to create a 'for sale' manual.

70/30

OverHaased
19-06-2015, 15:10

This is just the seed money my encompassing barbecue forum needs for its start up.

Sonic6L
19-06-2015, 15:47
It's alot easier to have a manual to reference rather than googling everything. Most don't have a laptop next to their Xbox

File, Print.

Brent G
19-06-2015, 15:48

Yup, all the help I could'a asked for is right here, infact I'd be screwed if not for the forum.

RomKnight
19-06-2015, 15:49
I don't think i've ever read the manual for a game :\

Maybe the short objectives list on pinball machines? then again... shoot ramps for this, hit bumpers for that became repetitive :D I guess i stopped reading game's manuals there :D

Lagoa
19-06-2015, 16:07
If manual would come out, I'd guess about a 50% less visitors and questions on this forum :P

PTG Claret
19-06-2015, 18:48
File, Print.

Tried it.

Said I needed to connect to a printer for it to work.

I don't have one.

diesel97
19-06-2015, 19:09
An offical guide like Prima (i think thats the name ) puts out for a lot of games would be good . It could go into detail about FFB,cars, tracks ,etc with histoty of the tracks and cars . A season by season write up on the carear mode and invitionals . If a open world game like fallout can do it so can SMS and i am sure WMD would be more than willing to help.

JessicaWalter
19-06-2015, 20:05
An offical guide like Prima (i think thats the name ) puts out for a lot of games would be good...

yeah prima and brady but i think prima owns and absorbed brady recently.

it would be good if it was accurate but they already have problems with technical information in games that don't get updated (or the tech info/numbers don't get updated) as often as pcars (so if a cars stats or handling or anything gets updated, any accurate info the guide has immediately becomes useless). car speeds and the effects of mod parts etc was horribly imprecise in gta v.

birel
19-06-2015, 20:55
Who reads these big chunks of paper things? All I need to read are + and - split times.

Snowowl
19-06-2015, 22:10
The problem with a manual is it would be constantly changing as the game is updated. That takes a staff to maintain, and test what is in the manual to make sure it actually works and doesn't break something.

The problem with a "monthly magazine" is lead time for publication, which is normally about 90 days from submission to arrival on the retail scene. It would be outdated before being available.

The solution: A forum like this, adjustable minute-by-minute, hour-by-hour, day-by-day. Everyone participates and we work out issues together.

Simple.

OverHaased
19-06-2015, 22:35
The problem with a manual is it would be constantly changing as the game is updated. That takes a staff to maintain, and test what is in the manual to make sure it actually works and doesn't break something.

The problem with a "monthly magazine" is lead time for publication, which is normally about 90 days from submission to arrival on the retail scene. It would be outdated before being available.

The solution: A forum like this, adjustable minute-by-minute, hour-by-hour, day-by-day. Everyone participates and we work out issues together.

Simple.

Several internet based monthlies that do not have a 90 day delay.

Plato99
19-06-2015, 22:49

Did the barbecue manual tell you how to change the sensitivity of the controls?!

OverHaased
19-06-2015, 23:13
Did the barbecue manual tell you how to change the sensitivity of the controls?!

Yes, it also came with instructions on how to order their newest model that was coming out in a few months

ashasha
20-06-2015, 00:31
What I would think would rule would be if there was a way to take a few laps and then have your virtual pit engineer go through a series of questions, i.e, is it oversteering, is it understeering, is it unsettled at speed, etc. Maybe with a slider to choose "how much" for each issue and then either changes are made to the car automatically for us to try or even have it take us straight to the settings with a little explanation of what we are doing.

It won't be perfect, but it could get us closer faster and if we could see what was being changed based on our problems then we could probably learn. As it is I labor over trying to decide if I need to mess with my sway bar or the rebound or bump stop and it does get to be overwhelming deciding where to start.

diesel97
20-06-2015, 12:39
What I would think would rule would be if there was a way to take a few laps and then have your virtual pit engineer go through a series of questions, i.e, is it oversteering, is it understeering, is it unsettled at speed, etc. Maybe with a slider to choose "how much" for each issue and then either changes are made to the car automatically for us to try or even have it take us straight to the settings with a little explanation of what we are doing.

It won't be perfect, but it could get us closer faster and if we could see what was being changed based on our problems then we could probably learn. As it is I labor over trying to decide if I need to mess with my sway bar or the rebound or bump stop and it does get to be overwhelming deciding where to start.

The pit crew cant get the tires right YET , I 'll be damned if i'm going to let adjust major settings haha

stux
20-06-2015, 13:30
There is a help file included with the xbox version... Like most help files it's completely useless

Navigate to options -> controls, expecting to then drill down to ffb and find out what Wheel Position Smoothing is

Instead

"allows you to configure the control options"

Duh.

Pretty much the whole help file is like that.

SweeetFA
20-06-2015, 17:38
I can see it now. A Haynes Manual for Project Cars. :cool:

JessicaWalter
20-06-2015, 18:24
I can see it now. A Haynes Manual for Project Cars. :cool:

i was at Barnes &Noble lookin for it yesterday

Nickname85
21-06-2015, 00:17
I would really like to see a manual also. Because a lot of stuff isnt really easy to understand... Simple things like how does the pit crew werk, How to change your tires at start of match, or how to see the full lay out of a map when you are choosing your track... It is al stuff that a lot of people had problems to find out. I like the forum but i have to say that it is not easy to go trough a lot of posts (or search trough them) just to (maybe) find am answer to some basic questions. Or maybe we as a community could make a big sticky that would become the manual...

I just think that i am spending to much time on the forum searching for some small problems /options that arent really explained in the game!

I just want to spend most of my time on the track

MULTIVITZ
21-06-2015, 00:52
Yeah there's loads of things that aren't immediately noticable. Give it 6 months and someone will write a manual for a pay check.

yopp90
21-06-2015, 04:38
You can Google research what each function and adjustment does, learn to internet.

PTG Claret
21-06-2015, 07:09
You can Google research what each function and adjustment does, learn to internet.
Why not have the information infront of us? Most don't have a big geek set-up, with a computator next to the Xbox.

The whole idea of a manual is to have the information on hand to be referenced as required for conveniece. Firing up a computer everttime you want to know what a setting does is far from that.

And Google isn't always right - we've already seen here on these forums people stating one thing does a certain, only for other toto say it does another thing.

Sonic6L
22-06-2015, 08:09
Tried it.

Said I needed to connect to a printer for it to work.

I don't have one.

Sad times. Print it at work.

PTG Claret
22-06-2015, 10:10
Sad times. Print it at work.
Even sadder times. Not everyone has access to a printer a work. Including me.

Maybe you could mail me something? Just make sure it includes a good rundown of all the features and options available in the game and what each one does - with particular attention to the I credibly in-depth FFB system, both game master and car specific.

Also, a brief explanation of each tunjng element would be incredibly helpful, not only detailing what effects the adjustment would have on the car, but also any knock on effects. Id be specially interested in how the brake temps affect tyre temps and then the grip and wear in turn.

I did try googling this at work, but my boss wasn't happy at me using his computer. I dont have one that works, and its incredibly hard on the crappy mobile phone I have.

Cheers.

Sonic6L
22-06-2015, 10:18
Even sadder times. Not everyone has access to a printer a work. Including me.

Maybe you could mail me something? Just make sure it includes a good rundown of all the features and options available in the game and what each one does - with particular attention to the I credibly in-depth FFB system, both game master and car specific.

Also, a brief explanation of each tunjng element would be incredibly helpful, not only detailing what effects the adjustment would have on the car, but also any knock on effects. Id be specially interested in how the brake temps affect tyre temps and then the grip and wear in turn.

I did try googling this at work, but my boss wasn't happy at me using his computer. I dont have one that works, and its incredibly hard on the crappy mobile phone I have.

Cheers.

EVEN SADDER TIMES!

Tell your boss to get your computer fixed, or pass it on to IT, surely a non working computer is affecting your productivity at work?!

Without the sarcasm now and in all seriouness, did you look at the thread that I linked you to? That's a good starting point.

PTG Claret
22-06-2015, 10:27
I never said I have a computer at work - cant think of any reason for me to be given one. Not everyone works indoors. And I doubt my boss is going to fix my home PC.

And yes, I tried the link. It's very hard to read the wall of text on my Nokia 225.

Sonic6L
22-06-2015, 10:29
Navigate to it on your Xbox?

OverHaased
22-06-2015, 14:18
Short sighted business model. I imagine there are employees at SMS that could generate this Manual that are currently coasting waiting for the next fire to put out.

Come on Mr. Bell. delegate like a boss, crack the whip and have this interactive industry leading customer perk. created.

Delete this thread and take full credit for the idea.

We all win then.

Ryzza5
23-06-2015, 03:21
I thought most car fans/video gamers are men, and men don't read instructions :)

It would be just as handy to have a stickied FAQ thread here, with extra links to advanced dev posts.