PDA

View Full Version : What is DRS, KRS ?

Charles Gillen
19-06-2015, 05:23
Just curious as the Merc DTM car apparently has DRS and I have mapped a button to it but I dont see any result from using it. I know that KRS is an enrichment to the fuel system, delivering added HP in straights. But the DRS is escaping me here.

I just started working with the Merc DTM car and was doing some TT with it. If anyone can tell me what DRS is used for it would be greatly appreciated.

Charles

TheReaper GT
19-06-2015, 05:28
Krs is an electric booster that uses the energy generated by the brakes. Drs is the rear wing, when you activate it opens to reduce drag.

Charles Gillen
19-06-2015, 05:34
That make sense. Thank you.

Didn't think it was possible, but I like the DTM car even better now. I went from a 1:46.666 to a 1:45.575 on my out lap at Monza and I belive I can get more with a little time spent in the car.

Thanks again for the assist.

Charles

TheReaper GT
19-06-2015, 07:08
That make sense. Thank you.

Didn't think it was possible, but I like the DTM car even better now. I went from a 1:46.666 to a 1:45.575 on my out lap at Monza and I belive I can get more with a little time spent in the car.

Thanks again for the assist.

Charles
Glad to know that, keep up. Just never open that thing on the middle of a corner, you're gonna spin like a helicopter. Hahaha

OppaErich
19-06-2015, 07:36
Is the button toggle or does it just open DRS and I have to brake to close it ?

Siberian Tiger
19-06-2015, 07:36
AFAIK it will just open the Wing... Brake to Close it ;)

TheReaper GT
19-06-2015, 07:39
The button opens and closes but if you touch the brakes it will close too

BDR Daz
19-06-2015, 08:06

Oppa !! The same Oppa from Moto GP and Forza back in he day ?!?! (Dazteddy here as you may have known me)

DRS can be toggled on the button but braking does automatically close it, in some cars the "Kink" on Hockenheim (After the turn 4 Hairpin) is enough to spin the car with the DRS wing open, toggling it means you dont have to brake to close it :)

Ixoye56
19-06-2015, 08:39
Have tracks like Monza, Spa etc, specific DRS zones like in F1 ? I Haven't noticed any DRS signs yet !

Bealdor
19-06-2015, 08:40
Have tracks specific DRS zones like in F1 ? I Haven't noticed any DRS signs yet !

No, you can use it whenever you want.

OppaErich
23-06-2015, 13:45
Oppa !! The same Oppa from Moto GP and Forza back in he day ?!?! (Dazteddy here as you may have known me)

DRS can be toggled on the button but braking does automatically close it, in some cars the "Kink" on Hockenheim (After the turn 4 Hairpin) is enough to spin the car with the DRS wing open, toggling it means you dont have to brake to close it :)
Hi Daz,

yep that's me. XB1 & PS4 didn't appeal me, I think you get PC problems for console price tags. So I made the move to PC. Still have my XBL account but haven't powered the 360 for 4 months now.

The fastest right hander at Brands Hatch GP makes me spin because I don't brake there. I'll try the button...if I can get my hands off Dirt Rally.

Have fun !

bc525
23-06-2015, 16:31
A couple quick DRS and KERS questions:

+ In the default layout for the Xbox controller, which button opens/closes the DRS? Or do I have to specifically map a button for that? I seem to remember finding the button for KERS but I couldn't see anything for DRS.

+ Which cars in the game actually have DRS and KERS capabilities? I was thinking only the DTM and Formula A cars have this, but I could be wrong.

Dynomight Motorsports
23-06-2015, 16:31
I wish we weren't forced to Map it if we are in GT3 cars... :culpability:

DragonSyr
23-06-2015, 16:53
Kers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_energy_recovery_system
Drs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_reduction_system

Answer for the threat title question

OpticalHercules
23-06-2015, 16:54
I thought only the F/A had DRS, but now there's the DTM too. I'll kepe my eyes open for more.

Many cars have KERS, and many apply it differently. Caterham S/P300 LMP3 car has KERS that is a fixed limit per race, one push of button uses about 15% of the total charge, and it does not recharge. RWd/Marek LMP1 cars both use throttle to activate KERS: when over 70mph and at full throttle, KERS will be used but when backing off throttle it will not be used. It will recharge when under medium-heavy braking, and there is no limit to how much can be used per lap or per race. Formula B has a limit of 1 bar/charge per lap, and when you push the button it uses the entire charge, which is then refilled on the next lap. Formula A you have to hold down the button to use however much you like, it will recharge under braking, but you are limited to one bar's worth of power per lap.