PDA

View Full Version : Wheel opinions

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 13:22
Hello I know this has probably been asked, and before anyone says search it I did and spent 3hrs (at work so at least I was paid) going through the findings with no luck. I am going to be getting a wheel and wheel stand in August . I am looking at the T300RS or T500RS, G29 or the 911 GT2 with the club sport pedals V3 (This will set me up to eventually get a club sport box set up). The shifter will come at a later date. Any thoughts on which would be better with the least set up issues would be thankful.

Thanks for any advice that is given.

TimN
19-06-2015, 13:31
I brought the t300rs for this game. never had any issues, just works. i was going to get the t500 but its older, and been out a while.

i just looked at the compatibility list and brought the one at the top, its been really good. would prefer better pedals but you cant win them all. the ffb is strong and help full. i can feel the back of the car going and have learnt to counter steer automatically.

Honestly don't know what people on here are banging on about with force feedback issues, i did a new firmware update for it which helps keep it cooler but apart from that works out of the box and adds an extra dimension to the game

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 14:31
I brought the t300rs for this game. never had any issues, just works. i was going to get the t500 but its older, and been out a while.

i just looked at the compatibility list and brought the one at the top, its been really good. would prefer better pedals but you cant win them all. the ffb is strong and help full. i can feel the back of the car going and have learnt to counter steer automatically.

Honestly don't know what people on here are banging on about with force feedback issues, i did a new firmware update for it which helps keep it cooler but apart from that works out of the box and adds an extra dimension to the game

Thanks for the reply. It looks like a solid contender. I am already looking at about $550 between this wheel and the stand. The Fanatec will put me way above that. I would like to read a review of the G29 though. At least i have some time before I pull the plug. Would be nice if it were Xbox one compatible, but you can't have them all.

sirsilver1968
19-06-2015, 14:46
I ordered the g29 i used to have a dfgt which i loved so im really looking forward to this one :)

Gavin Thomas
19-06-2015, 14:57
Fanatec for the win, great wheels and I never had an issue with any of them.

But keep in mind you need to buy the pedals as well to go with the Fanatec wheel, but on the brightside of that if you plan on going Clubsport after that those pedals will work there too.

Luke Townsend
19-06-2015, 15:17
I have a T300RS and it's terrific. I had a Logitech DFGT and a lot smoother than that. I don't know how it compares to G25/G27/G29, or a Fanatec wheel. I am finding that the cost of the T300RS is just the start though - I've now ordered an upgraded pedal set, leather upgrade rim (not needed but very nice), and maybe later at an H-shifter. So worth considering the total outlay maybe when you choose. I suspect that all the wheels at the price you are looking at will be pretty darn good TBH,

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 16:04
Fanatec for the win, great wheels and I never had an issue with any of them.

But keep in mind you need to buy the pedals as well to go with the Fanatec wheel, but on the brightside of that if you plan on going Clubsport after that those pedals will work there too.

I was looking at the GT2 with the V3 pedals. Not bad for $580. I was also looking at the CS V2 base with the Xbox one and GT rim with pedals. just over $1200. It would serve both purposes, but is a tough price to swallow and get past the wife. Plus I need to get a wheel stand which is about another $200.

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 16:05
I have a T300RS and it's terrific. I had a Logitech DFGT and a lot smoother than that. I don't know how it compares to G25/G27/G29, or a Fanatec wheel. I am finding that the cost of the T300RS is just the start though - I've now ordered an upgraded pedal set, leather upgrade rim (not needed but very nice), and maybe later at an H-shifter. So worth considering the total outlay maybe when you choose. I suspect that all the wheels at the price you are looking at will be pretty darn good TBH,

I hope so. I would ideally like one that is compatible for both PS4 and Xbox one. I don't want to spend $1200 to $1400 when you also consider I need a wheel stand.

Fight-Test
19-06-2015, 16:45
I have the t300 with F1 rim, T3PA Pro pedals and love it. Never a issue and It for hours at a time. I will be ordering the load cell for the T3PA pedals soon also.

McKiernan
19-06-2015, 18:28
One thing you should bear in mind, if you do choose a T300, T500 or G29 you will need an adapter to use Fanatec pedals with these wheels. For Thrustmaster wheels you'll need this http://basherboards.com/CPX adapter, I have one myself & use it to run Fanatec CSR Elite pedals with my Thrustmaster T300RS & am very satisfied. I'm not sure what the adapter you would need to use Fanatec pedals with a G29 though, I think it may be from a company called Ricmotech (could be wrong).

I have just ordered a Fanatec Clubsport Wheelbase V2 & it should be delivered next week, will post my opinions after I've given it a good run out.

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 18:36
One thing you should bear in mind, if you do choose a T300, T500 or G29 you will need an adapter to use Fanatec pedals with these wheels. For Thrustmaster wheels you'll need this http://basherboards.com/CPX adapter, I have one myself & use it to run Fanatec CSR Elite pedals with my Thrustmaster T300RS & am very satisfied. I'm not sure what the adapter you would need to use Fanatec pedals with a G29 though, I think it may be from a company called Ricmotech (could be wrong).

I have just ordered a Fanatec Clubsport Wheelbase V2 & it should be delivered next week, will post my opinions after I've given it a good run out.

Thanks I will be looking for the update from you on the V2 base. Like I said previously that would be the perfect setup with the xbox one rim.

daddyboosive
19-06-2015, 19:04
I would definitely go for the top spec fanatec stuff if you can afford it. Thrustmasters are just budget wheels in comparison. The universal hub is pretty cool as well. Allows you to add pretty much any after market racing rim to it and also have all the xbox buttons etc.

2pfspiff
19-06-2015, 20:52
I would definitely go for the top spec fanatec stuff if you can afford it. Thrustmasters are just budget wheels in comparison. The universal hub is pretty cool as well. Allows you to add pretty much any after market racing rim to it and also have all the xbox buttons etc.

That is what I am eyeing up. I would have to wait till Feb of next year to buy it although I could start buying pieces no one at a time and just deal with the controller. I am close to a decent setup, but its does suck compared to a wheel. The whole set up will be about $1200 with out shifter. I could get the T300rs and fanatec sport pedals. At least that is one piece off the list then add the Xbox one hub and wheel later, then next year get the CSR V2 in Feb. That would be expensive, but might be worth it.

Gavin Thomas
19-06-2015, 21:22
I was looking at the GT2 with the V3 pedals. Not bad for $580. I was also looking at the CS V2 base with the Xbox one and GT rim with pedals. just over $1200. It would serve both purposes, but is a tough price to swallow and get past the wife. Plus I need to get a wheel stand which is about another $200.

I'd go with the GT2 and V3 pedals at least to start with.

Lots of things could mean the price isn't justified for the higher end stuff, like time, enjoyment etc.
So going all out straight away ain't the best move, but in time you might know it is and you'll find it easy selling on a cheaper wheel than a more expensive wheel.

But if it grabs you like it did me, you won't think twice about buying a Clubsport base, rim and pedals at a later date.

i'm currently putting money aside for the base, because I know it will last me year and I'll get hundreds of hours of use out of it now.
But when looking at my first wheel it wasn't something I was 100% sure about. so could never have invested that kind of coin.

TrevorAustin
19-06-2015, 22:28

You really haven't used the top end thrustmasters have you :) Ive tried everything up to an accuforce and have absokutely no doubt in my personal opinion what the top end wheelsetup is, and the guy that owns fanatec agreed:) the thrustmaster t500 wheel and thr clubsport v2 pedals, amd probably the 3s now too.

Most of the too end wheels are great but for me thst was the best. The G27 was sloppy and notchy compared to the fanatecs and tms, no surprise as it's nor belt driven. And all of the tm pedals i disliked, and I've tried every single current set.

The gt2 was a nice wheel, but not a patch on the tx or t500. I eas so convinced i would never use it i gave it away so it isn't like I'm speaking from a fan base like most other people.

And the csw v1 and even the v2 are great, but the t500 just feels more attached to the car I'm pretending to be in:) and is significantly more powerful.

The accuforce is in a different league, but i wasn't willing to wait 4 months. It still might happen at some time though!

daddyboosive
20-06-2015, 06:50
You really haven't used the top end thrustmasters have you :) Ive tried everything up to an accuforce and have absokutely no doubt in my personal opinion what the top end wheelsetup is, and the guy that owns fanatec agreed:) the thrustmaster t500 wheel and thr clubsport v2 pedals, amd probably the 3s now too.

Most of the too end wheels are great but for me thst was the best. The G27 was sloppy and notchy compared to the fanatecs and tms, no surprise as it's nor belt driven. And all of the tm pedals i disliked, and I've tried every single current set.

The gt2 was a nice wheel, but not a patch on the tx or t500. I eas so convinced i would never use it i gave it away so it isn't like I'm speaking from a fan base like most other people.

And the csw v1 and even the v2 are great, but the t500 just feels more attached to the car I'm pretending to be in:) and is significantly more powerful.

The accuforce is in a different league, but i wasn't willing to wait 4 months. It still might happen at some time though!

You forgot about the Leo Bodnar too. I know there are better wheels than even Fanatec and Thrustmaster. Doubt they'd be compatible with Pcars though.

Sasquatch
20-06-2015, 21:49
I had a seemingly bulletproof Logitech DFGT before & upgraded to the T300RS a couple months ago. So far i'm satisfied with the purchase, it is a wonderful wheel for PCARS. I've had hiccups now and then with it i'll say. Nothing really to completely shadow my enjoyment though.

You can't go wrong with the Fanatec 911 GT2 w/ Clubsport V3's. A buddy has this setup exclusively with iRacing play and it's utterly fantastic.

2pfspiff
29-07-2015, 12:54
Well I think I decided which way I am going with the steering wheel pedal set up. I am going to get the Thrustmaster 458 italia edition which is basically a T300rx wheel. I am also going with the T3PA pro pedal add-on, TM 28 gt rim and the GT omega wheel stand. I will pick up project cars for the Xbox One. With Forza 6 coming out in September it just makes sense. After thinking about it I can't justify $1500 between the fanatec clubsport setup and the wheel stand. It's just too much money to spend on a racing wheel. I can do the xbox one setup and a T300rx with stand for the PS4 for the same amount of money. I may go with a Fanatic pedal setup with an adapter and start to piece together the club sport setup before Gran Turismo comes out in 2017. Not sure yet. Thanks for all the help you all gave me.

Mr.Smoke
29-07-2015, 14:51
I love my G29 and highly suggest it. Never had or used fanatech or a T300, but with the G29 there is no need to buy additional rims or pedals. One purchase gets you all quality pieces in one box, except for the shifter. Cant say enough good things about the G29, especially the beautifully wrapped, real leather rim.

I had a very bad experience with my T100 which ruined Thrustmasters chance of getting more of my money. Especially since the wheel rim is coated in rubber, included pedals are garbage and the incredibly high amount of threads reporting failures with them.

Logitech tech in the wheel is proven reliable & durable. I would buy it again & again without regretting the decision. It screams quality & care, right down to the way its packaged!!

2pfspiff
29-07-2015, 23:41
I love my G29 and highly suggest it. Never had or used fanatech or a T300, but with the G29 there is no need to buy additional rims or pedals. One purchase gets you all quality pieces in one box, except for the shifter. Cant say enough good things about the G29, especially the beautifully wrapped, real leather rim.

I had a very bad experience with my T100 which ruined Thrustmasters chance of getting more of my money. Especially since the wheel rim is coated in rubber, included pedals are garbage and the incredibly high amount of threads reporting failures with them.

Logitech tech in the wheel is proven reliable & durable. I would buy it again & again without regretting the decision. It screams quality & care, right down to the way its packaged!!

I thought about that and the G920 for the xbox one is one wheel i was thinking about. The problem is that I have both consoles and I am a die hard Forza guy. God only knows when GT7 will be released. I also want a brushless system/belt system because it is smoother. The G920 and the G29 use a helicut gear drive. It is reliable, but not as smooth as the belt system with the brushless.

Gravit8
30-07-2015, 00:12
I thought about that and the G920 for the xbox one is one wheel i was thinking about. The problem is that I have both consoles and I am a die hard Forza guy. God only knows when GT7 will be released. I also want a brushless system/belt system because it is smoother. The G920 and the G29 use a helicut gear drive. It is reliable, but not as smooth as the belt system with the brushless.

Sounds like you need two wheels anyway if PS4 racing is imminent anyway? Get both and report if the g29 or the TM300 fails first? Smart money is on the g29 to last. Brushless motors and drive belts are in first gen and already exposed as prone to failure. Highly advise you look around and dig a little more. Learn about the center spring it has and whether you will like it.
T300 user myself. Love the speed and ffb, but the build quality is suspect. Not happy with the d pad either. Poor quality of input and click response. Have no confidence it will last over a decade and put in the half a million virtual miles my DFGT has lasted. They already had to nerf the ffb via update in PCars to help the underpowered motors from overheating. Wish I would have waited for reviews and long term feedback on the 300

2pfspiff
30-07-2015, 00:53
Ultimately my game plan is to piece out a fanatec clubsport with xbox one hub and V3 pedals. I can get away with a little here and a little there, just can't justify it all in one shot. Until then, I can get a cheaper set up for X one. I had the logitech MOMO back in the Nascar 2003 seasons days. Loved the wheel and never had a hick up out of it. I had that for 10 years with no issue. I will look at the G920 and compare with the TX 458 Italia edition wheel from Thrustmaster. I have time to research further, won't pull the plug until mid August. Trying to con the wife into getting it for me. She still owes me a fathers day present.

Gravit8
30-07-2015, 01:58
Ultimately my game plan is to piece out a fanatec clubsport with xbox one hub and V3 pedals. I can get away with a little here and a little there, just can't justify it all in one shot. Until then, I can get a cheaper set up for X one. I had the logitech MOMO back in the Nascar 2003 seasons days. Loved the wheel and never had a hick up out of it. I had that for 10 years with no issue. I will look at the G920 and compare with the TX 458 Italia edition wheel from Thrustmaster. I have time to research further, won't pull the plug until mid August. Trying to con the wife into getting it for me. She still owes me a fathers day present.

Just a heads up. While I do like the increased realism of a faster wheel. Testing it vs my old DFGT on ps4 GT6 proves that it isn't any faster on track or anything. If anything, the realism adds to the difficulty. What I mean to say is that an expensive wheel doesn't yield faster lap times. Maybe a $100 wheel with helical gears will get you by in the short run, or maybe even be fine permanently.
Think your making a good choice picking up something cheap and waiting. Markets getting hustled/abused right now & prices are too high. It will com down and you will be able to get more components/shifters! at same price points.

2pfspiff
30-07-2015, 06:34
Just a heads up. While I do like the increased realism of a faster wheel. Testing it vs my old DFGT on ps4 GT6 proves that it isn't any faster on track or anything. If anything, the realism adds to the difficulty. What I mean to say is that an expensive wheel doesn't yield faster lap times. Maybe a $100 wheel with helical gears will get you by in the short run, or maybe even be fine permanently.
Think your making a good choice picking up something cheap and waiting. Markets getting hustled/abused right now & prices are too high. It will com down and you will be able to get more components/shifters! at same price points.

I hope. I looked at the G920 and the release date is Oct 14 2015. I am not going to wait that long for a wheel. I will probably opt for the TX from Thrustmaster for the Xone. Like I said, I cant wait until 2017 for GT7 when Forza 6 is coming in Sept with night and rain racing. It stinks because I do love the PS4 better then the Xone, but I like The Forza series better the GT series. Does GT6 work on the PS4?

Gravit8
30-07-2015, 21:46
No. It's ps3. PCars is the only sim for ps4 at the moment.