PDA

View Full Version : First impressions

slicker55
19-06-2015, 15:18
This is not the best way to create a good impression but I'm speaking the truth so take from it what you will...

Why is it that we spend more time researching problems, fixes, patches etc every time we get a racing sim/game rather than just enjoying the damn driving?

I've been eagerly awaiting pCars and in the meantime promoting it's release to friends within the racing scene.

Take iRacing... within minutes of signing up, my triple screen (5760 x 1080) Eyefinity setup, Trackir5 and Fanatec GT2 / CSP v1 was all recognised and I was racing 'that night'....woahhhh.... never!

Same with my flight simulation software (X-Plane, DCSW World, CLOD) with respective Saitek flight controllers, to name but a few and even Euro Truck Simulator 2 but the minute I come back to try racing titles, it's the same old .... read this, alter this, do this, try that....ahhhhhhh - it's bloody nonsense!

Last night I purchased pCars (limited edition) via Steam just to check it out - as soon as I hit the controller setup screen I could find no way to calibrate the pedals - 5 minutes later... on Google for 15 minutes to learn how to do this...I have every confidence pCars will be a winner - it looks great but I have no intention of putting up with all the frustration I've had in the past with other racing titles...

My patience clock is now ticking! - rant over (ooooh, I feel better for that)

:(

FoxMulder
19-06-2015, 15:28
Because people don't learn from their mistakes and keep pre-ordering/buying all these unfinished games. Same goes with cutting out game content and selling it as DLC. The gaming industry became such a huge market over the last decade, so much money involved etc., so they can get away with almost anything now.
Sure you get the occasional complainers but the majority is just being a sucker for anything the industry throws at them.

Luke Townsend
19-06-2015, 15:30
Anyone who can get X-Plane going without googling for days gets the utmost respect from me!! Wow, that X-Plane UI is mega-crazy! I use Microsoft FlightSim X and every time I start it I have to tweak something or other (I have loads of hardware and software add-ons for it). Shame you had trouble spotting the calibration pedals option in Project Cars. Have fun with the game now you have pedals working. :) BTW for your TrackIR to work in Project Cars, select Helmet Cam as your view - it works automatically in that view (TrackIR is disabled in other views).

Umer Ahmad
19-06-2015, 15:48
I heard it takes 2 minutes to do the correct pre-flight sequence in ARMA to get the helicopter just to take off.

The pCARS UI has everything, there are guys like you playing 3x screens with TrackIR (and a host of other instruments). Perhaps it (the UI) needs some adjustments to make it easier to find things.

Good news is once you're setup you never have to visit those screens again. I have not touched the Calibrate screen in over 1 year (just recognizes my G27 perfectly) nor the button mapping screen since game release

DragonSyr
19-06-2015, 15:57
I heard it takes 2 minutes to do the correct pre-flight sequence in ARMA to get the helicopter just to take off.

i have all arma series and there is not preflight sequence for vehicles..... wht do you mean with pre seq?????
it is not a real flight sim.... did you mean advanced flight model on arma3??? again is far from flight sim .

Umer Ahmad
19-06-2015, 16:07
i have all arma series and there is not preflight sequence for vehicles..... wht do you mean with pre seq?????
it is not a real flight sim.... did you mean advanced flight model on arma3??? again is far from flight sim .
Sorry military games and FPShooters are not my genre. I mean this AMRA3 mod

http://youtu.be/1as8lIwjRBM
I respect that level of sim however, great stuff.

Mahjik
19-06-2015, 16:18
Moved to General Discussion since there is no technical question being asked. Also clarified the title....

DragonSyr
19-06-2015, 16:19
ok . this is a mod and not the arma3 original flight model
i understand now what pre seq you say :)

slicker55
19-06-2015, 17:23
Guys,
I love forums and have actively contributed to many over the years - this first post is not my normal way of saying 'Hi', but I am very impressed with your reactions. i'm sure you're right when you say it will all be OK once everything is setup - it's just such a PITA reading of all the issues devoted supporters of the genre have to continually contend with. Anyway, enough said, I'm pleased that some (if not all) of my views are shared by others too - must have been or else I would have had a right slagging! Happy racing guys... hope to see you on the black stuff soon... :)

Gavin Thomas
19-06-2015, 17:27
Why is it that we spend more time researching problems, fixes, patches etc every time we get a racing sim/game rather than just enjoying the damn driving?

Speak for yourself, I've spent 100's of hours driving already and probably less than 2 trying to fix an issue. :p

Luke Townsend
19-06-2015, 17:31
Speak for yourself, I've spent 100's of hours driving already and probably less than 2 trying to fix an issue. :p

Same here. OP hasn't actually said what his current problem is now, just he couldn't find pedal calibration to begin with. Hopefully he is now busy playing the game and discovering why it is such a good racing sim like so many of us already know.

Baron_Greenback
19-06-2015, 17:40
This is one of the few games I haven't needed to start a bitching thread about. The issues I faced on first play were well documented, and after a little reading and tweaking the game runs fine.
After 1.4 even the default FFB worked great.

slicker55
19-06-2015, 17:52
Speak for yourself, I've spent 100's of hours driving already and probably less than 2 trying to fix an issue. :p There's always one!

slicker55
19-06-2015, 18:02
Same here. OP hasn't actually said what his current problem is now, just he couldn't find pedal calibration to begin with. Hopefully he is now busy playing the game and discovering why it is such a good racing sim like so many of us already know.Thanks for your support guys.. mine was just a general rant about racing sims in general. this latest one just re-lit the touch paper... I consider myself to be quite computer savvy and usually find myself supporting other's with their problems once I've got mine setup right. I really do feel that it shouldn't be necessary to resort to researching stuff on forums and the net just to get a sim up and running ... yeah... great resource for 'fine tuning' but not as a pre-requisite just to get things up and running... that's where a intuitive menu comes in handy! (I'm not the first to say they couldn't see how to calibrate the pedals).

You're right... I didn't specify a particular issue ... maybe someone can advise... when I calibrate the pedals, the clutch and accelerator go to 100% but the brake only shows about 19% when fully depressed - shouldn't this go to 100% as well? (it does in the Fanatec wizard thingy)

EHM
19-06-2015, 18:34
I wouldn't accuse them of disc-locked content. Some of the assets I saw in-game before the DLC release via glitch (Bentley GT3 for example) seemed to not be finished, as in one case having messed up LOD models.

mire2
19-06-2015, 19:34
Wow.....seems like you play almost all simulation games that exist on the world......cant understand why you jist simulate it and dont do it in real life, like driving a truck....or doing a job like something like that, when you are annoyed about bugs and patching and all those things.......my first SIM i ever played.....when i would just play simulations, i would try to get a job for the real simulation vehicles....

mire2
19-06-2015, 19:35
Play simulations with fun.....

LordDRIFT
19-06-2015, 19:37
This is not the best way to create a good impression but I'm speaking the truth so take from it what you will...

I've been eagerly awaiting pCars and in the meantime promoting it's release to friends within the racing scene.

Take iRacing... within minutes of signing up, my triple screen (5760 x 1080) Eyefinity setup, Trackir5 and Fanatec GT2 / CSP v1 was all recognised and I was racing 'that night'....woahhhh.... never!

Same with my flight simulation software (X-Plane, DCSW World, CLOD) with respective Saitek flight controllers, to name but a few and even Euro Truck Simulator 2 but the minute I come back to try racing titles, it's the same old .... read this, alter this, do this, try that....ahhhhhhh - it's bloody nonsense!

Last night I purchased pCars (limited edition) via Steam just to check it out - as soon as I hit the controller setup screen I could find no way to calibrate the pedals - 5 minutes later... on Google for 15 minutes to learn how to do this...I have every confidence pCars will be a winner - it looks great but I have no intention of putting up with all the frustration I've had in the past with other racing titles...

My patience clock is now ticking! - rant over (ooooh, I feel better for that)

Welcome aboard. We've been expecting you...

slicker55
19-06-2015, 20:00
Welcome aboard. We've been expecting you...Sorry to have kept you waiting :D

Luke Townsend
19-06-2015, 21:13
Thanks for your support guys.. mine was just a general rant about racing sims in general. this latest one just re-lit the touch paper... I consider myself to be quite computer savvy and usually find myself supporting other's with their problems once I've got mine setup right. I really do feel that it shouldn't be necessary to resort to researching stuff on forums and the net just to get a sim up and running ... yeah... great resource for 'fine tuning' but not as a pre-requisite just to get things up and running... that's where a intuitive menu comes in handy! (I'm not the first to say they couldn't see how to calibrate the pedals).

You're right... I didn't specify a particular issue ... maybe someone can advise... when I calibrate the pedals, the clutch and accelerator go to 100% but the brake only shows about 19% when fully depressed - shouldn't this go to 100% as well? (it does in the Fanatec wizard thingy)

Good luck with that brake pedal issue. If you haven't sorted it yet, maybe do a post in the Technical Support sub-forum - It may catch the eye of someone that knows what the trouble could be.

Mahjik
20-06-2015, 00:00
slicker55,

Welcome to the forums. I'm not sure this will help with your pedals, but try going into the Edit Assignment page and manually assigning your brake pedal. Then see if you can calibrate it to 100%. This has worked for other pedal sets so it may help you.

Bufftheowl
20-06-2015, 09:23
I think It's worth it in the end. I had to spend ages copying my controller and video preference settings to my new PC from my Xbox version by having them both on and flicking back and fourth on the TV. Doh! headache but worth it in the end. Project Cars actually handled better than it did on the Xbox.

Gavin Thomas
20-06-2015, 09:42
There's always one!

Sorry, couldn't resist :rolleyes:

slicker55
20-06-2015, 11:01
Hi Guys,

I want to thank you all for such a warm welcome and give you a brief update (second impressions).

WOW...

pCars ROCKS and you SOAB's knew all along... Hahahahhhaa - nice one :)

Thanks for your patience... appreciated.

You'll guess I've now got everything setup including Jack Spades tweakers and ran a few laps before exploring the multiplayer mode and hosting a couple of on-line races which, incidentally, I found easy to set up, thanks to the menu's which are very user-friendly. Thinking more about the main menu's, I think the dev's should include info pop-up's when a user hovers over a menu item - I think this would be a very useful improvement - just saves having to make a note of whatever it is and going elsewhere online to find out what it does!

I must say I am very impressed with what I've seen so far... I'm very fortunate to be able to run on ultra settings which look very impressive on my setup - I've got no concerns over frame rates at the moment but the true test will be when online amongst a full field.

Haven't found a built-in fps counter yet - don't really want to install Fraps as it is known to interfere with one of my flight sims but I'll have to check what fps I'm getting just out of interest.

Just to show my support, I have purchased the additional DLC and looking forward to watching this baby grow.... iRacing.. watch your ass!

Baron_Greenback
20-06-2015, 11:58
If you're running an Nvidia card, Shadowplay has an FPS display that can be activated from the Geforce Experience program.

Roger Prynne
20-06-2015, 12:08
Steam has a FPS counter as well, not that I've ever used it though.

Luke Townsend
20-06-2015, 12:11
Haven't found a built-in fps counter yet - don't really want to install Fraps as it is known to interfere with one of my flight sims but I'll have to check what fps I'm getting just out of interest.

Great post and really happy to hear you've over the initial hurdles and enjoying the game! It really is awesome when it comes to the driving and the racing! :)

Re FPS counter, you can set Steam to display its template when playing and you'll see its FPS counter top-left. Only thing is though...I used to display FPS in the flight simulators I play (Microsoft X and Prep3red) and it became something of an obsession, chasing that extra FPS lol! Personally I don't show the FPS in Project Cars - if I can't see any flicker then its mine in my eyes, no need to fiddle lol! But entirely up to you. If your rigs plays your flight sims fine then Project Cars should be great FPS-wise I suspect. Have fun anyway! Maybe catch you on track when you play online! :)

GamingCanuck
20-06-2015, 12:22
Sorry military games and FPShooters are not my genre. I mean this AMRA3 mod

http://youtu.be/1as8lIwjRBM
I respect that level of sim however, great stuff.

It takes about 15 seconds to start up, at most. You just have to click 4 or 5 buttons. It is the best heli mod I've ever tried though, it's very highly detailed. If anyone has ARMA 3 it's a must have.

DragonSyr
20-06-2015, 14:11
i ll give it a try :)

slicker55
20-06-2015, 19:24
Thanks Luke Townsend...

I appreciate all the encouragement ... I'll use the Steam fps counter just out of curiosity but I do agree it's easy to get drawn into chasing higher frame rates when there ain't much up with them in the first place. I think a quick glance and you know whether some of the eye-candy has to go!

Luke Townsend
21-06-2015, 14:21
Thanks Luke Townsend...

I appreciate all the encouragement ... I'll use the Steam fps counter just out of curiosity but I do agree it's easy to get drawn into chasing higher frame rates when there ain't much up with them in the first place. I think a quick glance and you know whether some of the eye-candy has to go!

Ha, yes just take a look and you'll know what's what! :) Actually I think with your rig you could be ok! Nice graphics card you have there and CPU! Triple screen but with luck you've got enough uumph in your setup to go pretty much flat out. Turn off/down detailed grass as a first point of call if you need more fps. It's quite intensive apparently and doesn't add a lot to the experience (unless you're ploughing fields lol! :))