PDA

View Full Version : F1 Monaco

Akamag
19-06-2015, 16:49
I give up it does not matter what I do I cannot get round this track in an F1 car I've never had an issue on this track with any other racing game but on P Cars I just can't get rid of the understeer and cannot get round the tight grand hotel hairpin no matter what I try
I've tried all different setting adjustments but just cannot get the car to turn in enough for this hairpin the understeer on this track for an F1 car is mental
Ive played all the codemaster F1 games and never had this issue

:-(

agentbeef
19-06-2015, 17:13
have you tried increasing steering ratio in the tuning setup?

Raven403
19-06-2015, 17:16
Using a wheel? Controller? Are you on Xbone, ur profile says PC.

Megalomanic87
19-06-2015, 17:36
Steering ratio is cranked up, along with Downforce, Ride Height, A solid suspension, and something no mechanic can tune; A good racing line.

Monaco is very unforgiving, especially the hairpin, i've always found to run it out almost to the point of hitting the barrier, and turning it in on first view of the kerb, works no problem, considering you're going under 40mph!

Try the soft compound tyres too.

Akamag
19-06-2015, 17:41
Using a wheel? Controller? Are you on Xbone, ur profile says PC.

I'm using madcatz pro racing wheel on the Xbox one

Akamag
19-06-2015, 17:44
[QUOTE=Megalomanic87;1002909]Steering ratio is cranked up, along with Downforce, Ride Height, A solid suspension, and something no mechanic can tune; A good racing line.

Monaco is very unforgiving, especially the hairpin, i've always found to run it out almost to the point of hitting the barrier, and turning it in on first view of the kerb, works no problem, considering you're going under 40mph!

Does increasing the steering ratio reduce cornering ?

agentbeef
19-06-2015, 18:21
[QUOTE=Megalomanic87;1002909]Steering ratio is cranked up, along with Downforce, Ride Height, A solid suspension, and something no mechanic can tune; A good racing line.

Does increasing the steering ratio reduce cornering ?
think it does mate or decreasing it speeds up your steering rack like I said I think.

Akamag
19-06-2015, 18:43
still can't get it right has anyone got a setup I can try

I'm playing care so time trial setup probably won't work but if anyone has a decent overall setup for that would be great

Outlaw Peet
19-06-2015, 18:50
I give up it does not matter what I do I cannot get round this track in an F1 car I've never had an issue on this track with any other racing game but on P Cars I just can't get rid of the understeer and cannot get round the tight grand hotel hairpin no matter what I try
I've tried all different setting adjustments but just cannot get the car to turn in enough for this hairpin the understeer on this track for an F1 car is mental
Ive played all the codemaster F1 games and never had this issue

:-(

Hi there, I am a F1 fan and raced monaco a lot in previous games didn't try it in Pcars. I will try it tommorow and let you know my experiences

OpticalHercules
19-06-2015, 19:04
A lower ratio (9.0:1) will turn your front wheels more relative to steering wheel input, while a higher ratio such as 15.0:1 will turn them less relative to wheel input. I'm not sure if a lower ratio actually decreases turning radius, but it definitely does speed up your turn-ins. Personally I run all my cars between 9.0:1 and 11.0:1, with F/A being something like 9.6:1 on tracks with hairpins. I will give it a go and report back. [ I may have the higher and lower on ratio definitions. I don't remember my schooling if 9:1 is Higher or Lower than 15:1 ]

I haven't played F/A on Monaco yet, but I will give it a go and see if I can find a starting place, or at least try to fix some of your understeer issue. Are you understeering on corner entry, apex, or the whole thing? What are some examples of tuning changes you have made? A little info could help us point you in the right direction.

Outlaw Peet
19-06-2015, 20:39
Hi there, I am a F1 fan and raced monaco a lot in previous games didn't try it in Pcars. I will try it tommorow and let you know my experiences

Hi, can you post your best lap ?

OpticalHercules
19-06-2015, 20:58
Ok Akamag, Have some info for you after spending about an hour on Azure Circuit with the F/A. Let me first say my only experience on this track was in LMP1 Career, and I have not touched it since. I do not know this track half as well as some others, so I went into this completely blind. I have done some F/A races, but I don't know this car inside and out either. In fact I learned a little bit about this car myself. Before you get into tuning though, do me a favor and re-calibrate your wheel following some guide and make sure your 90* setting is correct. I play on the 458 Spider wheel, so this may not translate over exactly to your setup. Previously I had my 90* setting at 214 or 218* and had understeer problems on every car I drove. Just two days ago I finally read a guide and re-calibrated it to the proper 90* = 240* reading and that significantly changed my cornering issues. I also don't know if FFB on your wheel may be playing a part in the understeer, and I have no way to test this myself.

I did this testing with fuel usage, tire wear, and damage off. I was aiming for consistency, not realism here.

I started off with the stock tune, only lowering my fuel level from 99L to 39L. Unless you are planning an endurance race, you likely wont ever have 99L of fuel in the tank, while 39 is a more reasonable race level. with the stock tune, I really did not notice much understeer in that hard left hairpin (which is why I suggest the calibration first). So long as I did not stat my turn-in over ~35mph, the car would drop to about 26mph at corner apex and start rolling on throttle as I brought my wheel back to straight.

Steering Ratio: stock is 10.9:1 I lowered it to 9.0:1 but immediately starting having understeer problems on slow corner exit, so I brought it back up to stock for the remainder of the test.

Caster Angle: 3.4* --> 2.4* I tried both extremes of this scale, 2.4 & 4.4* 4.4 created stability issues, while 2.4* felt quite nice. This made the car's turning more responsive compared to stock, and this track does not allow high enough speeds for this low of a setting to create a problem.

Front Toe-In: -0.1 --> +0.2 I first lowered this to -0.3 and made the understeer even worse. Then I brought it to +0.1 which was better, then +0.3 which created too much braking instability. +0.2 felt right, allowed sharper turn-ins and actually allowed me to increase my speed a little in that Left Hand Hairpin. entry speed around 38mph and apex around 29mph. This setting will affect your braking stability, so consider moving your brake balance further to the rear.

Rear Ride Height: 75mm --> 65mm Not really important for this turn, but this prevents the rear end from fishtailing/spinning quite so much on acceleration after a slow corner exit.

Limited Slip Preload: 50 --> 20 this is more preference here, but this made the car slow down more when letting off the throttle, reducing the need for braking during turn-in or apex when you don't brake enough for the turn. Kind of an engine-brake feel, using the torque of the engine to lower speed rather than brakes.

I know this isn't much, but I'm not creating a Time Trial tune here, just giving a starting place to make further adjustments later on. From what I felt of the stock tune on this track, I am more inclined to think your understeer problems are related to either: Calibration, too fast corner entry, or improper braking. I'm leaning most towards the first two, as you don't really have the chance to build that much speed prior to entering this corner, but it is very possible to not brake enough on the downhill. Try to make sure you finish your braking before starting your turn-in, and then try to rely on the Limited Slip Preload above to further slow the car if needed.

(Edit) For reference on skill with this car and track, my fastest time here was 1:23:110. Definitely was not pushing the whole track, but did try to push start line through the left-hairpin as much as I could. I would usually enter that hairpin at around 27 seconds into the lap.

Outlaw Peet
20-06-2015, 15:12
Hi there did a few laps on Monaco. First i had a basic tune from another circuit and i think i experienced same problems with understeer. First of all downforce should be max i drove with 11/12 .Tire pressure lowered by 10 on all tires 118/114. Steering ratio i always drive FA with 9.0:1 and the most important i think is the Toe-in i set it at -0.2/0.2 just a few rough settings that makes a clean lap possible of 1.24 not great but the hairpins worked very well. Dont forget to change one thing at a time! Tell us how you are doing!