PDA

View Full Version : Frame rate after latest patch

Sergi01978
20-06-2015, 16:22
Since the latest patch the frame rate is dire when cornering. The car seems to judder and makes steering a real pain.
I had issues with the CTD before but this is worse! Anyone having the same issue and is there anything I can do?
Cheers

Ian Bell
20-06-2015, 16:26
Since the latest patch the frame rate is dire when cornering. The car seems to judder and makes steering a real pain.
I had issues with the CTD before but this is worse! Anyone having the same issue and is there anything I can do?
Cheers

Please change your forum listed 'Platform' to Xbox.

Restart your system after setting 'power saving' mode. This will remove some background operations that compete for the 'new' core that we're using. In fact I think we're one of the first games using it fully, hence some issues that we're learning about.

Once done you'll be able to enjoy the 6% or so of improvement. The next patch will bring another 15% (yes, it's 1 more!) as well as asset optimisations in the hardest hit track areas.

InfectedJerk
20-06-2015, 16:28
I have the same problem. I turned off my system and unplugged it for 15 to 20 seconds and plugged it back in. then fired up Pcars and its fine. give it a try.

Sergi01978
20-06-2015, 16:36
Thanks guys. I am using energy saving mode but I'll try again later and unplug etc.
I uninstalled the game and reinstalled today but it made no difference.

Fun9u5
20-06-2015, 17:01
First post here. I had frame rate issues after the patch, came here looking for answers.

Thank you Mr. Bell, the info you just provided worked beautifully, it plays better than ever, simply amazing!

Ian Bell
20-06-2015, 17:03
First post here. I had frame rate issues after the patch, came here looking for answers.

Thank you Mr. Bell, the info you just provided worked beautifully, it plays better than ever, simply amazing!

You're very welcome. Glad it helped.

Sergi01978
20-06-2015, 17:44
You're very welcome. Glad it helped.

I pulled the plug for 5 mins and it seems to have worked. Only had a quick blast as my curry was ready:)
Thank's again for the prompt response chaps

tarbat
20-06-2015, 19:56
Restart your system after setting 'power saving' mode. This will remove some background operations that compete for the 'new' core that we're using.

What are these background operations that only run in "Instant On" mode?

The problem with turning off "Instant On" mode is the lack of updates when powered off. I used to use Power Save mode, but found that whenever I went to play a game, I had to wait several hours for the latest update, by which time I'd lost interest. It's not really practical for those of us with slow internet connections.

Maybe Microsoft need to allow specific games to disable these "background operations" whilst the game is running?

Also, since the 7th core is also used for Kinect processing, would turning Kinect off also help?

jjcuff1
20-06-2015, 20:17
Does that mean I have to enable power saving mode or disable it?

Schnizz58
20-06-2015, 20:22
Does that mean I have to enable power saving mode or disable it?
Enable it. Run power save mode rather than Instant On mode.

Brent G
20-06-2015, 20:51
What are these background operations that only run in "Instant On" mode?

The problem with turning off "Instant On" mode is the lack of updates when powered off. I used to use Power Save mode, but found that whenever I went to play a game, I had to wait several hours for the latest update, by which time I'd lost interest. It's not really practical for those of us with slow internet connections.

Maybe Microsoft need to allow specific games to disable these "background operations" whilst the game is running?

Also, since the 7th core is also used for Kinect processing, would turning Kinect off also help?

I also have this dilema, so (may sound like a div here) would it help to switch to energy saving just while playing project cars? Then I could swap back after to avoid the aformentioned problems that crap broadband speeds bring.

Schnizz58
20-06-2015, 20:55
I also have this dilema, so (may sound like a div here) would it help to switch to energy saving just while playing project cars? Then I could swap back after to avoid the aformentioned problems that crap broadband speeds bring.

Try it, I think it's worth a shot.

Paul52uk
20-06-2015, 20:58
Done that but still the same, game is all over the place freezing up on corners you end up crashing into cars as if there is loads of lag, I'm 58 years of age and used to play TOCA 2 every night with only normal broadband it was brilliant, but this game is a complete shambles on the Xbox 1 I don't know what to do, help required??

Schnizz58
20-06-2015, 21:05
I wonder if there's an app that's installed that consumes system resources even when it's not running in the foreground. I don't know if that's feasible or not, just trying to think of ways that some people have this issue and most don't.

Brent G
20-06-2015, 21:16
I wonder if there's an app that's installed that consumes system resources even when it's not running in the foreground. I don't know if that's feasible or not, just trying to think of ways that some people have this issue and most don't.

To be honest I rarely get any FPS drops and if I do there minimal. I try to keep my console as barebones as possible, no apps I dont use and uninstall any games I dont wish to play. Wonder if this is why Ive not had the problems that others have experianced? Ive had some bugs raise their heads, at worst they've been annoying but never game breaking.

Schnizz58
20-06-2015, 21:27
Exactly the same with me. My box is pretty minimalist and since changing to Power Save mode I haven't had any frame rate issues. That got me thinking that maybe some of the ones that are having problems have a lot of stuff installed on their machines. Or maybe there's one particular app that's eating part of the system even when it's not running in the foreground. Microsoft are not exactly famous for their prowess at writing system code.

Brent G
20-06-2015, 21:39
Exactly the same with me. My box is pretty minimalist and since changing to Power Save mode I haven't had any frame rate issues. That got me thinking that maybe some of the ones that are having problems have a lot of stuff installed on their machines. Or maybe there's one particular app that's eating part of the system even when it's not running in the foreground. Microsoft are not exactly famous for their prowess at writing system code.

You might be on to something there mate, would explain why theres such a broad spectrum when it comes to peoples experiances with the game.

MMM1978
20-06-2015, 22:48
Things I've noticed is.....

Always restart the game when you play it, never resume it.

Capturing a dvd vid will screw things up

Even a quick jump out to the xbox home and straight back in, will screw things up.

Sergi01978
20-06-2015, 23:18
Pulled the plug for 5 mins and it has solved the frame rate issue.
Tried hard shutdown and even uninstalled the game but it didn't work.
Don't know why pulling the power would solve the problem but hey if it works it works!

nissan4ever
20-06-2015, 23:42

Unplugging kinect won't change anything. This game doesn't use kinect. That's why the 3 red lights aren't on when you play Project CARS. This game is using the resources that kinect was using per Microsoft SDK update from last year. That frees up some processing power for high demanding games. FM5, the kinect 3 red lights are on. On Project CARS, FH2 & GTAV for example, the 3 red lights on kinect are off.

Umer Ahmad
20-06-2015, 23:49
XB1 guidance here (including avoiding Instant On mode)
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28540-Having-Problems-with-Project-Cars-This-MAY-help!

pk4425
21-06-2015, 03:38
Well, I had uninstalled this game tonight and was ready to return it, exasperated by inconsistent framerates after patch 1.4. But Project Cars is so much fun to drive in the times everything works well that I thought it was worth one more salvage attempt.

So I followed the instructions in this thread, with one exception: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28540-Having-Problems-with-Project-Cars-This-MAY-help

My exception: I kept the game on my internal drive instead of putting it on my external drive. Some of my framerate problems earlier this week seemed to worsen when I moved the game to my external drive.

I changed my Xbox's power settings to Power Save instead of Instant On, which is cool because I don't use Kinect or my Xbox as a TV tuner. I cleared the persistent cache in the Blu-Ray menu and unplugged my power brick for a hard reboot. Then I reinstalled the entire game.

Mea culpa: This worked.

Framerates still seem a tad slow, but they're consistent. No more chugs and hyperspurts. This game is playable again. I'm just keeping it on the default controls and learning to drive various cars without worrying about 41 different possible controller permutations I've tried.

So far, so good. Thanks for the tips.

Zero7159
21-06-2015, 04:59
Good tips guys. Doing a power cycle worked for me. FFB feels great with the TX wheel now that Patch 1.4 is live and the new firmware has been released.

tarbat
21-06-2015, 07:01
Unplugging kinect won't change anything. This game doesn't use kinect.

The game may not use Kinect, but the Kinect uses the 7th core for voice command processing. That's why I wondered if turning off Kinect, which also turns off Kinect voice command processing, would help relieve pressure on the "new" 7th core that pCARS is using.

Restart your system after setting 'power saving' mode. This will remove some background operations that compete for the 'new' core that we're using.

What are these background operations that only run in "Instant On" mode, but don't run in "Power Save" mode?

MMM1978
21-06-2015, 09:54
I don't have / use Kinetic and I still get issues..... Problems go away though if, as stated, energy saving is on, and never resume the game. Don't use capture, and don't ever exit to xbox home. If you do, you need to quit and restart the game.

tarbat
21-06-2015, 10:14
Okay, so we can rule out the Kinect. That just leaves these mysterious background operations that Ian says only run in "Instant On" mode, but don't run in "Power Save" mode. Would like to know what these are.

PzR Slim
21-06-2015, 10:25
Okay, so we can rule out the Kinect. That just leaves these mysterious background operations that Ian says only run in "Instant On" mode, but don't run in "Power Save" mode. Would like to know what these are.

I don't think it's a case of them only running in Instant On mode, sure there will be some, I think it's more a case of the longer the system is effectively on, which it always is in Instant On mode the more background processes end up running and the more that core is being utilised by other stuff which affects performance in PCars. There's a simple fix, what more is needed to be known?

tarbat
21-06-2015, 10:38
I don't think it's a case of them only running in Instant On mode, sure there will be some........

Ian specifically talked about some background operations that don't run in "Power Saving" mode:

Maybe if we knew what these are, we could disable them. For example, is it Notifications processing? Or Skype notifications? Or Kinect Xbox Voice detection? But I'm struggling to guess what background processes wouldn't run in "Power Saving" mode.

There's a simple fix, what more is needed to be known?

For me, using "Power Saving" mode is not a long-term solution, as it often means waiting hours to be able to play a game because there's an update waiting to download. I'd always assumed that doing a power reset before running pCARS was enough, but apparently this still means some background operations are running that don't run in Power Saving mode.

Ixoye56
21-06-2015, 10:44

Same for me, I rarely get any FPS drops and if I do there minimal, I also have my game installed on a External Drive, maybe that helps a little.

PzR Slim
21-06-2015, 10:46
Ian specifically talked about some background operations that don't run in "Power Saving" mode:

Maybe if we knew what these are, we could disable them. For example, is it Notifications processing? Or Skype notifications? Or Kinect Xbox Voice detection? But I'm struggling to guess what background processes wouldn't run in "Power Saving" mode.

For me, using "Power Saving" mode is not a long-term solution, as it often means waiting hours to be able to play a game because there's an update waiting to download.

Firstly at no point does he say they only run in Instant On mode, a full power down reset of my console without changing power mode got rid of the problem so having your console in instant on mode is not the issue, the issue is as I understand it your console effectively being on for an extended period causing a bottleneck in the newly used core. But there will for sure be processes running so that instant on works. And once again there is a simple fix, and if it's the only fix then it is a long term fix. SMS are using a core that has not been made available before to squeeze every last drop out of the console to give you the game you have got. It's your decision whether to from time to time carry out a power down reset to help PCars game performance.

tarbat
21-06-2015, 11:04
Perhaps we can get a definitive statement from Ian. Does the XB1 have to be in Power Saving mode to stop these background operations using the shared 7th core, or does just doing a full power off reset achieve the same thing?

PzR Slim
21-06-2015, 11:15
Perhaps we can get a definitive statement from Ian. Does the XB1 have to be in Power Saving mode to stop these background operations using the shared 7th core, or does just doing a full power off reset achieve the same thing?

I suspect a full power off reset clears a load of background tasks that start over a extended period of the console being on. The benefit of turning off instant on is that a power down reset happens everytime meaning you don't have to remember to do it or wait until stutter reappears before you do it.

tarbat
21-06-2015, 14:46
So, just a full power off reset, I still get stuttering. Set to Power Save mode, turn off Kinect, then full power off reset, and no stuttering.

Strakka
21-06-2015, 16:30
Stuttering or sudden visual speed ups stopped for me after doing this but then came back in the next race, i can't keep turning my xbox off after every race i do? This game is getting stupid now

Paul52uk
21-06-2015, 18:31
Totally agree with you

Sergi01978
21-06-2015, 19:04
Stuttering or sudden visual speed ups stopped for me after doing this but then came back in the next race, i can't keep turning my xbox off after every race i do? This game is getting stupid now

Did you pull the plug for a while? I tried this and it has worked so far. I tried everything else including uninstalling the game, hard shutdown etc but cutting the power has solved the issue for me.

Tekkart
21-06-2015, 21:57
Try this:
Go to Settings from xbox, energy&start, console restart(on the left side) this deletes the x1 cache. Works for me.

Oblivian
22-06-2015, 09:19
I really don't understand how there is so much inconsistency between different users gaming experience on the xbone, since the patch I have seen a big improvement regarding frame rate dropping!
Still getting the sound distortion to some degree, don't think that issue has been addressed yet? But it certainly doesn't seem to happen quite so often.
Over all other than a few AI, online bugs I'm having a blast on the game :)

nissan4ever
22-06-2015, 12:49
This gamersyde test of fps after patch 1.4, shows that the game is getting there. Azure Circuit (Monaco) with 18 AI cars in a storm. It dipped to 55fps once for a split second. Was at 60fps the majority of the time. The average fps for the lap was 59.47fps.

http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_35021_1_en.html

kyleen
22-06-2015, 17:09
has been bookmark, this seems like a very interesting thread
http://wigunpics.science/14/g.png