PDA

View Full Version : Tips & Tricks for beginners

Kart14
21-06-2015, 18:22
I am looking to get Project Cars when I get my PS4 (soon).

So I can be good (better) at it when I first start does anyone have any tips for me?

If it helps I will be using the Thrustmaster T300 RS Official Force Feedback steering wheel. Also is the handling like real like? If so thats good because I have the record at karting.

MULTIVITZ
21-06-2015, 19:35
Read some books on chassis tuning?

Bubbs
21-06-2015, 19:41
I'd suggest jumping in to the OFFLINE stuff first.

Mainly cos the online can at times be a case of 'dodge the car flying towards you' :)

I've only got a controller though so I'm not sure how 'realistic' the handling feels with a wheel. I wheely (see what I did there?) need to get a wheel though, cos obviously I don't drive my own car with a DS4 controller.

JessicaWalter
21-06-2015, 19:48
...I don't drive my own car with a DS4 controller.

be a lot cooler if you did. you could sit in the back seat and play ProjectLIFE on a tv in the back of the headrest.

pimpin

Kart14
21-06-2015, 20:25
I'd suggest jumping in to the OFFLINE stuff first.

Mainly cos the online can at times be a case of 'dodge the car flying towards you' :)

I've only got a controller though so I'm not sure how 'realistic' the handling feels with a wheel. I wheely (see what I did there?) need to get a wheel though, cos obviously I don't drive my own car with a DS4 controller.

I was going to. I don't really want to pay for a PSN subscription since I play offline mostly anyway. Looking at some gameplay you still get flying cars offline too! Lol

Kart14
21-06-2015, 20:26

I think I would get bored half way through! How much detail can there be? :O

m3lover1
21-06-2015, 20:39
Enough where even the smallest minute change to suspension/gearing/pressure/aero can be the difference between first and second

Kart14
21-06-2015, 20:48
Really? :eek: I have a lot of learning to do. :( I normally copy other users setups or use the defaults. *sigh*

Oh well, should make it harder for me then!

Luke Townsend
21-06-2015, 21:07
Check out the series of "Race Control" videos on the Project Cars Unofficial channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectCARSTV/videos

Short and sweet, and plenty of hints and tips for new and old drivers. :) Episode 4 is on tuning but watch them all - you'll pick up loads!

Have fun while you are learning and don't rush yourself - it's so satisfying realising a few days/weeks later that you can control your car a lot better than you did at the start.

Finally, start with the slower cars (Formula Rookie is great, so is Clio Cup). Things happen slower in the slower cars so you have more time to react. The slower cars are just as much fun (or more fun) as the fast ones in my opinion anyway.

Luke Townsend
21-06-2015, 21:10
Really? :eek: I have a lot of learning to do. :( I normally copy other users setups or use the defaults. *sigh*

Tuning does make a difference but at the start the big, big improvements in lap time come from driver skill. E.g. make sure you hit the apexes of the corners and you start and finish corners at the outside of the track. There are seconds to be gained by things like this, and that's purely by concentrating and practicing.

loslogo
21-06-2015, 23:11

Not really I use default tunes all the time and win consistently.

stux
22-06-2015, 01:48
Don't overdrive. It's better to handle the car better and more consistently than to push and do a bad job, and then you'll be able to go faster anyway

MULTIVITZ
22-06-2015, 02:04
I think I would get bored half way through! How much detail can there be? :O

There's a website opening soon that will store anyones tunes, so you can get improved setups from there.
Maybe some driving tutorials on Utube then:rolleyes:

Kart14
22-06-2015, 11:01
Could you maybe give me some good free e-book suggestions (have no kindle and no PC so has to either be online or a Mac downloadable. No PC applications) or other good tuning guides then please?

Bubbs
23-06-2015, 15:48
be a lot cooler if you did. you could sit in the back seat and play ProjectLIFE on a tv in the back of the headrest.

pimpin

I have often joked with one of my friends (who has never learned to drive) that the only way I'd get him into the drivers seat of a real car would be by replacing the steering wheel and pedals with a Playstation controller :)

Also @Kart14 - check out the thread in the Tuning section called 'Project Cars Tuning Guide : 3f and case studies now live!'

I spent an hour and a half just going around Barcelona GP circuit yesterday playing with settings in search of that elusive extra 0.010 of a second.

Kart14
23-06-2015, 17:57
You could sit in the back seat and play ProjectLIFE on a tv in the back of the headrest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvHbDy6XRA8Skip to 1:32

Jd42
26-06-2015, 03:28
Don't feel bad I did the same. But I also make fine adjustments to get it where I feel it suits my style while using the DS4.

OperatorWay
26-06-2015, 03:36
Sticky: Develop Your Skills [Safe is Fast] (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28168)