PDA

View Full Version : 5 min qualifying

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
22-06-2015, 19:56
Anyone else think 5 minute qualifying is pointless for 90% of the tracks and should be removed?

ImStylinOnYaBro
22-06-2015, 20:24
only because for some reason when the time expires, you're done. even if you're on a flying lap.

tmitch45
22-06-2015, 20:30
only because for some reason when the time expires, you're done. even if you're on a flying lap.

I thought you could finish the lap you were on?

Stevesixty7
22-06-2015, 20:32
Yeah, you should at least be allowed to complete your lap, as in real life.

Stevesixty7
22-06-2015, 20:35
Not online at least, ImStylinOnYaBro.

Scuderia Paul
22-06-2015, 20:45
The good thing about the 5min qualifying sessions is that you may get one flying lap which bumps up the pressure and tension. It is infuriating when you mess-up your lap but the elation if you snatch pole is great.

It is stupid when people choose it for Circuit de La Sarthe or Nordschleife though.

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
22-06-2015, 22:22

exactly, 5 mins normally only gives you 1 lap to set a time because even if you cross the line before the time runs out it just ends. Pretty stupid really. And because of how harsh invalid times can be, as well as staying clear of other people, there's often 2/3rd's of the grid without a time.

ImStylinOnYaBro
22-06-2015, 22:30
can you finish flying laps offline? yeah, its not too bad for me anymore, but when i first got the game i was always going off the road. now in most sessions that are 5 minutes me and 1-3 other people log a time.

Flaw3dGenius
23-06-2015, 00:10
It's worse when someone sets 10 mins for qualifying then the race is just 3 laps long :dejection: Qualifying ends up longer than the god dam race :mad:

Panopticism
23-06-2015, 05:25
I wish more people on the PS4 version were interested in races longer than 3-5 laps. I've had a few lobbies with 15+ lap races and long quali and practice sessions, and those are more interesting to me.

5 minute qualifiers are also a pain because it's hard to get a flying lap in before the timer expires. And also because by the time you get into a race, check to make sure that your setup has actually loaded, verify that you're not stuck in bumper cam, you're probably better off just sitting there and waiting for the race.

tgrey
23-06-2015, 07:01
can you finish flying laps offline? yeah, its not too bad for me anymore, but when i first got the game i was always going off the road. now in most sessions that are 5 minutes me and 1-3 other people log a time.

On PS4 it seems like I can not finish a flying lap after the time expires.

fido996
23-06-2015, 11:22
I wish more people on the PS4 version were interested in races longer than 3-5 laps. I've had a few lobbies with 15+ lap races and long quali and practice sessions, and those are more interesting to me.

5 minute qualifiers are also a pain because it's hard to get a flying lap in before the timer expires. And also because by the time you get into a race, check to make sure that your setup has actually loaded, verify that you're not stuck in bumper cam, you're probably better off just sitting there and waiting for the race.

I too prefer the longer race. The trouble is most people racing online are there for the quick fix ( look at how many quit after a couple of laps through incidents ). They try to bump and crash their way to the front. When it doesn't work, they disappear.

As for the 5 minute qualifying, on circuits that allow, its like a Super pole lap. Everyone get one shot for pole. How you go about it is up to you.

As for set up, try using a general set up where only minor tweaks maybe needed. This can be done from your garage and then you needn't worry about timely setting up before qualifying. Just turn up and go for it.

Machinist90
23-06-2015, 11:28
20 mins quali for 24 HOURS of lemans..you have about 4 laps to put your best time (invitational,in endurance championship it's 1 hour)

Sasquatch
23-06-2015, 15:09
I've been noticing people setting up 5min qualifying on the Nordschleife lately? Little comical, because it's a complete waste of time. Then it's sad when majority of the people back out of a 2 lap run.

Panopticism
23-06-2015, 21:24
I too prefer the longer race. The trouble is most people racing online are there for the quick fix ( look at how many quit after a couple of laps through incidents ). They try to bump and crash their way to the front. When it doesn't work, they disappear.

As for the 5 minute qualifying, on circuits that allow, its like a Super pole lap. Everyone get one shot for pole. How you go about it is up to you.

As for set up, try using a general set up where only minor tweaks maybe needed. This can be done from your garage and then you needn't worry about timely setting up before qualifying. Just turn up and go for it.

I do have general setups for all of the GT3 cars, but often times the game fails to load your custom setup and you've gotta work with the game's default setup for that car.

ChrisK
24-06-2015, 01:52
exactly, 5 mins normally only gives you 1 lap to set a time because even if you cross the line before the time runs out it just ends. Pretty stupid really. And because of how harsh invalid times can be, as well as staying clear of other people, there's often 2/3rd's of the grid without a time.

For online lobbies you need to make it a time limit rather than when you finish your lap cos there will be trolls that just park their car on the final lap and not cross the finish line at all.

The 5 minutes quali is good for a flying lap on short tracks or for making very quick adjustments to car before race. Especially fuel load and aero and the like.

danpinho
24-06-2015, 02:24
The OP couldn't manage to finish his arguing in one single post. Why bother about finishing a Q? :)
Sorry buddy, I didn't resist.
Back to topic, well, a lot of tracks have a 2min lap time or even less. I can get it done pretty easily.
But you right about the flying lap.

rjohns
24-06-2015, 16:47
More annoying is having to qualify with other cars on the track.