PDA

View Full Version : A genuine user experience and my disappointment with Project Cars

rich6826
22-06-2015, 23:15
Hi guys

I知 not normally the type to post in forums but I felt I wanted to share my user experience of Project Cars on the Playstation4 and why I知 honestly left disappointed with what appears to still be an unfinished product. This isn稚 a rant, but just a factual experience of the faults found within just a few hours of gameplay.

After hearing good things I purchased the Thrustmaster T300RS wheel along with the game. My initial huge disappointment with the game was pre the v1.4 update and I知 not going to detail that. The following was from using the game last week with the v1.4 update:

- Started a career in Renault Clio痴
- Decided on a favourite view (I liked the Gran Turismo style bumper cam)
- Steering was very unresponsive had to exit the game mode to go to options and remove the dead zone (I appreciate this is personal preference)
- Needed to turn the mirror on again had to exit the game mode to go to these options.
- Donnington - Enjoyed practice and qualifying and got 1st for both (default 80% difficulty)
- Enjoyed the first race and got my first win
- Started the second race pitted as request. Left pits to find the steering wheel went light and the car wouldn稚 respond to wheel movements. Noticed the tyres had turned red. [BUG1]
- After looking online I found this could be worked around using a saved pit profile which worked and allowed me to complete race 2
- Snetterton Enjoyed practice, quali, and races with wins all round.
- Silverstone Enjoyed practice and quali with pole
- Silverstone Race one (race distance now up to 25%) - 1st but noticed the AI were suddenly much quicker in the race. The one thing that caught my eye is that they were bizarrely fast at the Vale chicane. They could brake much later than was actually possible for myself resulting in them bumping into the back of me. Ultimately the AI痴 physics did not appear to be the same as mine. [BUG2]
- Silverstone race 2 Replayed this race a number of times but it was not possible to win as the winning AI car wasn稚 performing his mandatory pit stop (you could tell from the time he won by 20+ seconds over a 5 lap race). [BUG3]
- BUG1 caused me to not consider the fact that my saved profile was with slicks which meant I only managed 3rd at a very wet Oulton Park
- Completed other races in the season and enjoyed it but ultimately the experience felt let down by the Silverstone race and the issues I壇 seen in such a short time
- Had an invite to race in a RS1600. Bumper view for this vehicle was for some reason much lower than the Clio痴 so had to change to bonnet view. Handling was bizarre and the AI were much quicker in this car type. Had an issue with no sound (other than starting lights) which wouldn稚 resolve by restarting the race [BUG4]
- Didn稚 enjoy this final race and seemed to have no option to stop the classic races and move on to a new Season in Clio痴. Not played since.

So that has been my experience. 5 events in the Clio痴, and 4 problems found in such a short space of time. From looking online all 4 BUGS have been experienced by others. My actual biggest concern was of BUG2 (AI able to take a corner in a way that is impossible for user). A quick Google showed other players complain of the same issue at the same point. My concern is that this breaks the immersion and isn稚 simply a bug that can be fixed as the other 3 no doubt will be in the future.

As I said at the beginning, this isn稚 a viscous rant but purely my observations of a product that could be very good when completed. I appreciate certain bugs can be missed at launch and that software needs to quickly get to market so that sales can begin, but if I can experience all the above over just a few hours of gameplay from the beginning of a career mode, it makes me wonder what else is lurking ahead and why such simple things concerning the pit issues were not already discovered in development and testing.

I知 a normal 36 year old married guy with 2 young kids and 32 years of gaming, but also a reasonable amount of real life track time under my belt (3 seasons of karting around the UK, track days etc). I was really looking forward to this title but now I知 just left a little bit wondering what all the fuss is about

Hopefully this will be seen as a 都ensible post. I知 interested if others have in reality shared a similar experience or if it痴 all just been faultless for them. I致e also seen some staff from the team behind the game responding to people on here, and I was interested in any comments they had whilst trying to see it from the end user point of view.

Thanks and sorry it痴 such a long winded message

Kitt
22-06-2015, 23:22
The same,much frustration here

MetheadMan
23-06-2015, 00:55
Since purchasing the game I have not touched the career mode once. It's not that I don't want to be frustrated with bugs like yourself, I just have no desire to race pre-made modes in a linear fashion. Hated doing the career mode in Forza and I'll hate doing it here. I have only played quick race mode to my specific tastes with the cars, tracks, weather and distances I want to race in. I want pure customization and this game absolutely offers it. And you know what I have had an absolute blast playing in those races. The minimal amount of issues I've had in quick race mode (mainly the AI) keeps me playing it along with a few online races in between and I'm satisfied.

eclap
23-06-2015, 01:02
OP, you're full of it, the game was developed with the help of 80k racing sim fans, it's perfect. It was even delayed a couple of times because they wanted to get it right and they did. Everything works as intended. Can't wait for pCARS 2, that will be another peach! Bring it.

loslogo
23-06-2015, 01:05
OP, you're full of it, the game was developed with the help of 80k racing sim fans, it's perfect. It was even delayed a couple of times because they wanted to get it right and they did. Everything works as intended. Can't wait for pCARS 2, that will be another peach! Bring it.

You're an idiot.

I'll leave it at that.

Helmethead1031
23-06-2015, 01:15

I believe you are in the minority with your disdain for SMS and your disdain for this game. While I will agree this game has bugs that need to be fixed, I have personally experienced nothing that makes it unplayable. It is IMO a great game and I believe it will be better in the future with patches and DLC. I also look forward to PCars 2.....I've read your posts in other threads and they seem to have a consistent theme regarding your opinion of the potential PCars 2 so need to debate it.

eclap
23-06-2015, 01:21
I believe you are in the minority with your disdain for SMS and your disdain for this game. While I will agree this game has bugs that need to be fixed, I have personally experienced nothing that makes it unplayable. It is IMO a great game and I believe it will be better in the future with patches and DLC. I also look forward to PCars 2.....I've read your posts in other threads and they seem to have a consistent theme regarding your opinion of the potential PCars 2 so need to debate it.

no need indeed.

MULTIVITZ
23-06-2015, 02:25
So you're driving adainst Ai at 80% difficulty, in a car tuned at 10% and wonder why they were hitting you up the back.......Ok.
I must say my experience of career was different, the tunes wouldn't save sometimes and I eventually got stuck because the season kept repeating. So career is off limits for me. The caster force don't feed back into wheel self centring so driving with a thumbstick is not as enjoyable as it could be. It's hard driving hard without burning the front tyres. Tunings slow from all the button pressing.
I need a wheel really but haven't the space to store one. I've heard motion controller and telemetry app are not going to be implemented now, no ones said anything to the contrary. Good tyres, questionable physics engine, stunted crash sequences, tiny fonts on everything, broken career, no surround sound, no paint, fantastic tracks, good sound effects, over strained GPUs, lawless multiplayer mode, not thumb stick friendly after years of development, no race engineer, I won't mention the pit, etc.
When I have a car with a 50 point fault list, thats normal, I get on with it and complete my work mandate in an ordered fashion.
I want to be delighted with this game, but I'm waiting. How long? Only time will tell and any reassurances recieved in the mean time will ease my discomfort. A forty man crew should easily sort this game out, its the other parties logistics and technological limits that are hindering progress. How over strained the GPUs are is anyones guess!

Helmethead1031
23-06-2015, 02:37
So you're driving adainst Ai at 80% difficulty, in a car tuned at 10% and wonder why they were hitting you up the back.......Ok.
I must say my experience of career was different, the tunes wouldn't save sometimes and I eventually got stuck because the season kept repeating. So career is off limits for me. The caster force don't feed back into wheel self centring so driving with a thumbstick is not as enjoyable as it could be. It's hard driving hard without burning the front tyres. Tunings slow from all the button pressing.
I need a wheel really but haven't the space to store one. I've heard motion controller and telemetry app are not going to be implemented now, no ones said anything to the contrary. Good tyres, questionable physics engine, stunted crash sequences, tiny fonts on everything, broken career, no surround sound, no paint, fantastic tracks, good sound effects, over strained GPUs, lawless multiplayer mode, not thumb stick friendly after years of development, no race engineer, I won't mention the pit, etc.
When I have a car with a 50 point fault list, thats normal, I get on with it and complete my work mandate in an ordered fashion.
I want to be delighted with this game, but I'm waiting. How long? Only time will tell and any reassurances recieved in the mean time will ease my discomfort. A forty man crew should easily sort this game out, its the other parties logistics and technological limits that are hindering progress. How over strained the GPUs are is anyones guess!
FYI, motion control is implemented on PS4.....

Schnizz58
23-06-2015, 02:40
Rich, I think all of the issues you've brought up are not unique and in fact are being experienced by a number of players out there. Some I think have had even worse problems than you. Personally I have put career mode on hold until these things get sorted and I'm spending time tweaking things like FFB, steering, car tunes and just generally getting a feel for the game. I get the sense that SMS are taking most, if not all, of these problems to heart and that there will be solutions forthcoming. It's disappointing to have such high expectations and then to encounter these types of issues. But try to see what potential there is rather than the limitations and I think it'll end up being worth it in the end.

CRobby22
23-06-2015, 02:52
I would recommend turning a few laps in Formula Rookie. I tried the Clio too and struggled a ton. But the FR is just a bit easier to drive and get used to everything. I use the PS4 and had to make a good number of adjustments to get it to work the way I wanted. After doing that I was able to go back to the metal tops and do much better. Just dont give up yet.

MULTIVITZ
23-06-2015, 08:37
FYI, motion control is implemented on PS4.....

FYI, where the hell is it in the menus then??(thanks in advance)

I have made a mint clio tune, and I haven't given up, just slowed down a little for a few months!

I have patience and have been enjoying the game, please don't think my post is the result of a sad misguided fool, who needs cheering up!
Its not perfect, I don't think the car physics returns caster self centring. One reason I think this is the case would be the way the car swerves unnaturally when steered with the controller. FFB has it's own page for every car, why can't we have a better controller mode and have a few sliders for the thumbstick/motion controller?
Or at least someone reply to the matter, I keep bringing it up, maybe I should check my other posts.

Dam351
23-06-2015, 09:15

Looking for good settings for motion steering with PS$ controller, if anyone knows of any?.
i had a little try with the motion control ps4 ds controller. I could get used to driving that way, but id need a 'users manual' or similar to set the turning movement right. BONUS-extra buttons can be mapped. CONS- im not 1 for extra effort just to 'play' a game.

Has anybody begged borrowed stolen or just found a good settings for the motion steering? I'm talking about the sensitivity and dead zones etc. Not the button mapping as i have 2 layouts ready to try.

Dam351
23-06-2015, 09:16
FYI, where the hell is it in the menus then??(thanks in advance)

I have made a mint clio tune, and I haven't given up, just slowed down a little for a few months!

I have patience and have been enjoying the game, please don't think my post is the result of a sad misguided fool, who needs cheering up!
Its not perfect, I don't think the car physics returns caster self centring. One reason I think this is the case would be the way the car swerves unnaturally when steered with the controller. FFB has it's own page for every car, why can't we have a better controller mode and have a few sliders for the thumbstick/motion controller?
Or at least someone reply to the matter, I keep bringing it up, maybe I should check my other posts.

Just goto the screen where u map buttons, and map the tilt motion to steering :)

MULTIVITZ
23-06-2015, 09:21
Oh thanks so much, I couldn't see it and someone had said it wasn't ready. I think I was hypnotised by the haters lol.

I will experiment and find settings to suit a style or two, I may start a thread with my findings. Give me a day of testsing the motion control.

Dam351
23-06-2015, 09:39
Oh thanks so much, I couldn't see it and someone had said it wasn't ready. I think I was hypnotised by the haters lol.

I will experiment and find settings to suit a style or two, I may start a thread with my findings. Give me a day of testsing the motion control.

Yeah no worries mate. I tested with gulf no assists at Laguna Seca. Only a few laps, but timing was the thing that i couldn't fix by changing view. For example the slight left kink, as track starts to rise at the corner before the corkscrew.

Anyways if you wanted to test send me FR on ps4 & il give u a hand mate.

Rogerslack
23-06-2015, 10:26
Hi
I agree with a lot of what you say. I think that there is a difference having realism in a game and having too much realism. I find PC is not user friendly ie: having to exit game mode to make tuning changes etc. It seems to me that a lot of posts on here are from racers who have hours and hours to spend tuning, setting up etc. That is fine, each to their own, but I expect the vast majority of racers want to spend their time racing not tuning etc.
I like tuning but there is too much, a more basic tuning would be better, with my personal preference of more variance of gear tuning. Tuning things like bump stop make minimal difference, and any gain is minimised by the slightest difference by the racer racing round the track.
We should be able to save multiple set ups for each car, much easier than remembering what track you saved a set up on.
I have said many times that the handling of the cars is not as realistic as it could be. It's not bad but I also have 25yrs experience of racing and a lot of modern games do not have that "earthy" quality that earlier games had. For older racers a bit like the raw rock "n" roll. Having bought various game over the years my favourite was the good old Race Driver 3 which stood the test of time without doubt.
My fear is that PC preaches to the converted and will be played by a diminishing number of people who have the time to spend tuning instead of racing.
I also feel that there is not much online community and I think that this will determine the longevity of the game.
Good luck to all
Roger

Whisky
23-06-2015, 11:53
i'm getting very frustrated aswell.
in alot of aspects i really love this game, but somehow i'm spending more time with dirt Rally and ac since 1.4 did release.
the game wasn't perfect at release and still isn't like most games nowadays. it makes me sad that this game got even worse with 1.4.
since the patch the ffb is horrible (atleast for logitech wheel users, can't talk for others).
the ffb issues in Addition to the carrer mode bugs + multiplayer bugs are killing the fun completly.
i really really hope 1.5 will fix the most of the Problems right now because i want to Play this game...

Umer Ahmad
23-06-2015, 11:58
[BUG1] Too hot tyres is known and a priority fix
[BUG2] and [BUG3] AI behaviors are being adjusted in upcoming patches
[BUG4] sound is also being investigated

Thanks for the bug reports, keep them coming and also review the known issues lists in my signature.

wusuku
23-06-2015, 13:18
I do think to that there is too much tuning to do. I'm not an engineer, and I (as I asume most people) don't know that much about this.
I'm 45 and have spent much of my 20エs and 30`s racing (karting, motorbike and as rallies co-pilot) but I never were involved in set-up, usually i would rely on techincal staff: tell them what I needed and they changed it

I believe that we could have a dual system where you can finetune you could have presets for cars & circuits, lets say you could chose 2 or 3 presets and then fine tune (or complete tune) as you like. At lest it should be a specific preset for each circuit/car and then we could pick from there

I understand that there are people that enjoy fine-tuning their cars, but there also are people that don't have the knowledge and/or the time to do it, plus I don't think fine-tuning and presets are incompatible (just like we can choose between auto-tire or the tyre we want)

wusuku
23-06-2015, 13:28
And about setting FFB values
-The FFB valued set on every car don't feel right
-We have to google for FFB values (that's how I got to this forum)
-We do have settings like Jack Spade's PC Tweaker files

Would it be that difficult to have those sets of values implemented, so we could chose directly what we want and tweak from there? (Just like I was saying in my last post)
I really love the game, but wasting that much time adjusting FFB per car, meaning adjusting the controller so it feels right... thats something that should not be happening

Feels like old discussion Linux vs Windows vs Apple

Lawndarts
23-06-2015, 15:09
This is a good thread and it echo's my experience. I'm exactly where the op is in career and had the same issues. It's about as constructive as possible considering the end result is that many cant play the game the way they want. Most big publisher QA groups would kick pcars out of QA for not being able to "travers the critical path" and just shy of calling it a show stopper only because it doesn't crash.

I think the expectations for patch 1.5 are incredibly high, but we need to fix and get past these game breaking issues so focus can shift to features and the community can start delving deeper into tuning and other more advanced topics.

Schnizz58
23-06-2015, 15:26
I think the expectations for patch 1.5 are incredibly high, but we need to fix and get past these game breaking issues so focus can shift to features and the community can start delving deeper into tuning and other more advanced topics.
Yep, I certainly agree. In the meantime I think the community still has a role to play. We can provide valuable feedback for the devs who are trying to fix these issues. The hardest part of fixing a bug often is duplicating it. So if we can give information about how to recreate a certain issue that makes it a great deal easier to fix and also to verify that it's fixed. We can also support each other by providing known good settings for things like FFB, steering sensitivity and also there's work that can be done in tuning setups.

chase66down
23-06-2015, 16:06
I think car tuning would be ok if there was a good defaults, loose tight and wet and that are still open to tweaking, but the ffb adjustments are just a joke, tune them to taste!? Its a racing sim thats what people want to do race. I think back to the first toca on pc played in 1998, microsoft sidewinder wheel ffb was fantastic, moved to console nothing come close since. Then Pcars comes along pc based sim on ps4 great l think at last......... The ffb is broken, its a major part of the game l hope it can be fixed but why was the ffb and all other bugs problems missed. Sorry for being negative but the punters feedback is given but the punters dont really get feedback back. Please tell us ffb will is being sorted with an explaination/plan of action then we can sit tight knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Schnizz58
23-06-2015, 16:13
I have to disagree. The FFB is much better now since the 1.4 release and I wouldn't describe it as broken even before 1.4. And we've gotten lots of good input from SMS about what problems are being worked on and what will be in each upcoming release.

Lawndarts
23-06-2015, 16:27
My FFB is the same prior to 1.4 and its OK. I removed jacks files during update but it all still feels the same. I think those with major FFB problems are the ones that reset their profiles and have yet to be able to restore them, or reset them up.

So there is a large contract in helping with FFB. Since mine is the same its tweaking, those that reset profiles have a whole other mess to sort out.

But I also use a CSW v2, perhaps some of those issues are wheel defendant.

Schnizz58
23-06-2015, 16:38
Absolutely it's wheel dependent. Every wheel feels different and are going to need different settings to feel "right", which is itself a very subjective thing.

rich6826
23-06-2015, 23:35
I think car tuning would be ok if there was a good defaults, loose tight and wet and that are still open to tweaking, but the ffb adjustments are just a joke, tune them to taste!? Its a racing sim thats what people want to do race. I think back to the first toca on pc played in 1998, microsoft sidewinder wheel ffb was fantastic, moved to console nothing come close since. Then Pcars comes along pc based sim on ps4 great l think at last......... The ffb is broken, its a major part of the game l hope it can be fixed but why was the ffb and all other bugs problems missed. Sorry for being negative but the punters feedback is given but the punters dont really get feedback back. Please tell us ffb will is being sorted with an explaination/plan of action then we can sit tight knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel.

A lot of good comments on here (and a couple of peculiar ones) but I had to comment that I also played that same first TOCA with a Sidewinder wheel back when I was 17 and I loved it! It was the fact that people said this game captured the essence of that old series that I spent 」300 on Project Cars and a new wheel. Ultimately until it works properly I'm now left looking forward to seeing what F12015 will be like when it's launched next month. It just feels a bit unethical that I've spent my money, yet I can't use the product as intended (although I have no doubt that many months from now all will be resolved).

I guess when all's said and done it's just a game. With a fast growing 3 year old lad, Mario Kart is probably the only driving game I'm going to get to play in the future anyway...

Cheers guys

UMadBro
24-06-2015, 07:31
Game needs to be delayed to be enjoyable which is why players aren't really play P. Cars right now... Been like this for most of the gaming community for around 10 years or so.

MULTIVITZ
26-06-2015, 07:01
Game needs to be delayed to be enjoyable which is why players aren't really play P. Cars right now... Been like this for most of the gaming community for around 10 years or so.

I don't understand your use of 'delayed', and your link is to a film clip of a screaming roaster? Very strange.

I've stopped playing it tbh, I will have a play with the motion sensor, it might make the game more playable for me. I've been too busy lately tuning real cars!

rams1de
26-06-2015, 07:49
It's been a tough start for console users.

Like the OP, I'm using the T300 and PS4 which is not a great combo for PCARS with the centre spring issue and inability to set some of the sliders in the same increments as on pc.

I'm holding off career until a few more of the bugs are sorted, fine tuning is a waste of time at the moment given the way FFB is on the T300 and online needs a few features added to make it a good experience.

The big issues are documented and given SMS commitments to the game I'm hopeful it will live up to it's billing over the course of the next few months.

Meanwhile, as one of the posters above pointed out, there is a lot of fun to be had in Quick Race Weekend with a great selection of tracks to learn and cars to drive round them.