PDA

View Full Version : Arkham Knight

yusupov
23-06-2015, 00:25
so i got the brilliant idea to get this today so i could preload it & play, since my connections slow. apparently it unlocked early (or has been unlocked by some) & runs like trash. still got 90 mins of DL left.

anyway,

a)discus the game
b)dont preorder kids

UMadBro
24-06-2015, 07:32
Game is extremely broken on PC, no wonder the PS4 and Xbox One versions are so much better.

yusupov
24-06-2015, 07:42
can give my experience, which is that its not broken at all, pretty much exactly what id expect from a AAA open world game pre-patches. given the state of many high profile releases, possibly a better experience.

the 30 fps cap (which can only be removed by digging around .ini files) is truly silly & suggests to me they wanted some kind of artificial parity. if the game was going to be so demanding they thought a 30 fps lock would be the best default setting id understand, but its not a setting, its hardcoded into the game. other than that, my only problem has been occasional stutters/sharp frame drops; difficult to tell which. but i have all nvidia gameworks features on &, again, just the state of things if i turn those on i actually expect that (even tho i use an nvidia card & have a dedicated physx card).

ive also seen a lot of complaints about graphics, either downgrade from promos, which i paid zero attention to, or in comparison to ps4, where ive seen people say it has better textures for some reason. tbh i think its gorgeous, probably equivalent to what the first couple arkham games looked like on their release, if not better, while maintaining the same aesthetic. some of the complaints here, about chromatic aberration being forced on etc, again i cant say i share; i quite like the look in this case.

overall glad to say i dont regret buying it after all, but with everything taken into account, sad to see another shoddy launch of a major title on PC.

UMadBro
24-06-2015, 07:55
can give my experience, which is that its not broken at all, pretty much exactly what id expect from a AAA open world game pre-patches. given the state of many high profile releases, possibly a better experience.

the 30 fps cap (which can only be removed by digging around .ini files) is truly silly & suggests to me they wanted some kind of artificial parity. if the game was going to be so demanding they thought a 30 fps lock would be the best default setting id understand, but its not a setting, its hardcoded into the game. other than that, my only problem has been occasional stutters/sharp frame drops; difficult to tell which. but i have all nvidia gameworks features on &, again, just the state of things if i turn those on i actually expect that (even tho i use an nvidia card & have a dedicated physx card).

ive also seen a lot of complaints about graphics, either downgrade from promos, which i paid zero attention to, or in comparison to ps4, where ive seen people say it has better textures for some reason. tbh i think its gorgeous, probably equivalent to what the first couple arkham games looked like on their release, if not better, while maintaining the same aesthetic. some of the complaints here, about chromatic aberration being forced on etc, again i cant say i share; i quite like the look in this case.

overall glad to say i dont regret buying it after all, but with everything taken into account, sad to see another shoddy launch of a major title on PC.

First impression for those who haven't updated their drivers = Broken game. Needs to be extremely optimized. Also powerful PC rigs are rare.

Ian Bell
24-06-2015, 08:02
First impression for those who haven't updated their drivers = Broken game. Needs to be extremely optimized. Also powerful PC rigs are rare.

I was going to grab this, is the performance really that poor? I loved two of the series and heard it's back with the original developers?

odemode
24-06-2015, 08:07
I was going to grab this, is the performance really that poor? I loved two of the series and heard it's back with the original developers?

waiting for the "how dare you play another game, when yours is broke" quote now

Pink_650S
24-06-2015, 08:27

I follow this guy on YouTube. Apparently Rocksteady is in for some trouble...

http://youtu.be/dZMumIyUNVw

Ian Bell
24-06-2015, 08:34
Oh Dear.

dustyjo
24-06-2015, 09:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXLYqY5fyDI

yusupov
24-06-2015, 09:36
the story at the moment is that pc optimization was sourced to some small team called iron galaxy who had no real experience &, even if they did, it probably wouldnt have mattered bc they werent given much time. dunno how true any of that is...but it sure rings true.

anyway, the result is very beefy requirements & the game is softlocked to 30 fps, with dips being common no matter. but aside from that....its a really good game!

UMadBro
24-06-2015, 10:58
the story at the moment is that pc optimization was sourced to some small team called iron galaxy who had no real experience &, even if they did, it probably wouldnt have mattered bc they werent given much time. dunno how true any of that is...but it sure rings true.

anyway, the result is very beefy requirements & the game is softlocked to 30 fps, with dips being common no matter. but aside from that....its a really good game!

And the DLC! $$$ Back in my younger years there was no such thing as DLC. We got what we got. Now we are being sold cheap bug riddle with content cut in half games for over $100-$60. We've even got micro-transactions!

SpeedLimitUnknown
24-06-2015, 12:02

Just get make sure to get it on PS4 Ian!

I got the PC version free with my Gtx 970. Long story short, I had to download it 3 separate times due to an issue on the steam servers where it would delete the game and start the DL all over again, this happened to anyone who paused their download or verified the cache. 90 GB later and I finally have the game running but performance is Terrible. A lot of the effects can't even be turned off since they're combined with each other, even when doing ini edits. For now I've just left it locked at 30 fps and pretend my PC is a console lol.

MartinMWWebb
24-06-2015, 12:08
I got a free copy with my new card so thought oh goody and decided to register the key rather than move it on, having played an hour or so of the first batman game recently and really enjoyed it seemed like a no brainer.

Ill wait it out see if the patches resolve the issues as from the other XB/PS reviews its down to be a great game lets just hope they sort the PC port.

MillsLayne
24-06-2015, 23:05
I got it on XBox One and I'm loving it. It plays almost identically to the last gen games in the series, but the overall world is a lot bigger. Plus, having someone like Scarecrow and the new Arkham Knight as the main antagonist instead of the Joker is pretty refreshing because, while I love the Joker, it gets old after a while and Scarecrow is a pretty cool character himself.

Oh yeah, and the Batmobile is pretty fun, too.

MisterO
25-06-2015, 08:07
Oh boy, now they've suspended PC sales alltogether ... that's one serious screw up, especially considering the fact that it's the final episode of a great trilogy. I'd be intereset to maybe one day hearing the real, no bullshit-insider story how they screwed this up.

Things were looking pretty well for me in the first three hours but now I seem to have hit a point where the reported problems are showing up for me as well :-(

jgaganas
25-06-2015, 15:55
Pulled from Steam... unbelievable :)

yusupov
25-06-2015, 15:59
an amazing precedent though, good on them.

Umer Ahmad
25-06-2015, 18:30
Wow so bad they stopped selling it?? WTF?

TROLL DIVISION ELITE: "READY. FIRE. AIM!" ;)

http://www.cnet.com/news/pc-glitches-prove-to-be-batmans-bane-as-arkham-knight-gets-taken-off-steam/

“Despite a warm reception by fans and critics alike, gamers who were playing the title on PC soon took to message boards complaining of audio glitches, frame rate drops and even freezing. The problems seem to be particularly prevalent for people using AMD graphics cards in their gaming PCs.”

Lets how AMD-guy tweets his way past this one!

Making more popcorn if anyone needs me.

Umer Ahmad
25-06-2015, 18:34
Interesting, the PC version was not made by Rocksteady but rather out-sourced to a certain "Iron Galaxy Studios" based in....wait for it....Chicago! Nice, maybe i'll stop by their office to cheer them up.

irongalaxystudios.com (Not too far from downtown, nice neighborhood actually)

Umer Ahmad
25-06-2015, 18:41
Oh lord. If the studio survives this i'll be impressed:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2940412/batman-arkham-knight-how-bad-are-the-issues-pretty-bad.html

“To find out just how bad it was, I fired up Batman: Arkham Knight on the most powerfulgaming PC I had on hand: a 4-way SLI GeForce Titan X rig with a Core i7-5960X overclocked to 4.5GHz, RAIDed SSDs, and 16GB of DDR4/2666 RAM. What does $11,000 worth of fire-breathing, meat-eating metal get you? How about 30 frames per second?

And no, that's not at surround 4K or straighforward 4K resolution. WB Games decided to lock Arkham Knight down to 30 fps no matter what hardware you're running. Whether it's a GeForce GTX 960 or a four-way GeForce Titan X setup, this game will max out at 30 frames per second running on a PC”

chig88
25-06-2015, 19:04
Obviously started work on a sequel too soon. Wookie, sorry, rookie mistake ;)

Ian Bell
25-06-2015, 19:07
Obviously started work on a sequel too soon. Wookie, sorry, rookie mistake ;)

I see what you did there :)

marcdxn
25-06-2015, 19:12
I have arkham knight (PC) and im 3 hours in with no crash or anything i don't know how i got so lucky.

Enjoying it because i love batman! but its also a shame to see steam pulled it from sale must be affecting a lot of people for them to take it off sale
I got mine for free funnily enough at Scan computers ProjectCars event (well it was an nvidia event but i only went to play Pcars on the simulator to try and win a GTX980! I came 4th overall top 3 won prizes i was quite gutted!)

Umer Ahmad
25-06-2015, 19:51
Wow, 12 guys. Twelve.

"It's been discovered that only 12 people were in charge of handling the PC port of Batman: Arkham Knight over at Iron Galaxy Studios."
http://www.shacknews.com/article/90184/batman-arkham-knight-pc-was-outsourced-and-ported-by-12-people-rocksteady-issues-statement

I <3 SMS

Umer Ahmad
25-06-2015, 19:53
I have arkham knight (PC) and im 3 hours in with no crash or anything i don't know how i got so lucky.

Enjoying it because i love batman! but its also a shame to see steam pulled it from sale must be affecting a lot of people for them to take it off sale
I got mine for free funnily enough at Scan computers ProjectCars event (well it was an nvidia event but i only went to play Pcars on the simulator to try and win a GTX980! I came 4th overall top 3 won prizes i was quite gutted!)
Well then you're obviously a fanboi so STFU !!!1one

;)

marcdxn
25-06-2015, 22:34
Well then you're obviously a fanboi so STFU !!!1one

;)

hush hush you umer! ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5bsnH52ncs&feature=youtu.be

Its a pretty good game, i do feel sorry for the peeps who paid for it and it doesn't work what so ever for them though.

Same when project cars came out and we had an immense amount of moaning mine had some bugs, but it wasn't the end of the world and still played fine for me - sometimes i wonder how much people blow things out of proportion and stir up a frenzy online, i don't know if they really had to pull the game from steam or if that was overkill the game does have plenty of positive user reviews on steam.

p.s! no fan boy love just trying to look at this from my point of view... 4.5 hours in without any issues ;-)

winet
25-06-2015, 23:11
Game is extremely broken on PC, no wonder the PS4 and Xbox One versions are so much better. Running on NVidia GTX 970 with no issues so far. Guy I know completed the main plot without a problem on a PC

MisterO
26-06-2015, 07:22
To be fair, that 30 fps cap can be changed in an ini-file.

marcdxn
26-06-2015, 07:26
Yeah changed the ini file to 9999 as per some instructions that only took a minute to find when googling 30 fps batman.

Pc gamer has done an article on all this now and what they think about it, apparently a lot of this has been brought on by steams new refund policy well possibly.

http://www.pcgamer.com/broken-bat-finding-the-good-and-bad-in-the-arkham-knight-debacle/

TrevorAustin
26-06-2015, 08:10
Wow so bad they stopped selling it?? WTF?

TROLL DIVISION ELITE: "READY. FIRE. AIM!" ;)

http://www.cnet.com/news/pc-glitches-prove-to-be-batmans-bane-as-arkham-knight-gets-taken-off-steam/

“Despite a warm reception by fans and critics alike, gamers who were playing the title on PC soon took to message boards complaining of audio glitches, frame rate drops and even freezing. The problems seem to be particularly prevalent for people using AMD graphics cards in their gaming PCs.”

Lets how AMD-guy tweets his way past this one!

Making more popcorn if anyone needs me.

So AMD have dropped the ball AGAIN. Can't say I'm surprised, and, despite loving the look and sound of the factory watercooled Fury X, why I've just ordered an ACX 980Ti.

UMadBro
26-06-2015, 08:37
Oh lord. If the studio survives this i'll be impressed:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2940412/batman-arkham-knight-how-bad-are-the-issues-pretty-bad.html

“To find out just how bad it was, I fired up Batman: Arkham Knight on the most powerfulgaming PC I had on hand: a 4-way SLI GeForce Titan X rig with a Core i7-5960X overclocked to 4.5GHz, RAIDed SSDs, and 16GB of DDR4/2666 RAM. What does $11,000 worth of fire-breathing, meat-eating metal get you? How about 30 frames per second?

And no, that's not at surround 4K or straighforward 4K resolution. WB Games decided to lock Arkham Knight down to 30 fps no matter what hardware you're running. Whether it's a GeForce GTX 960 or a four-way GeForce Titan X setup, this game will max out at 30 frames per second running on a PC”

Head into the game's folders to unlock the fps!

TrevorAustin
26-06-2015, 08:39
And just got my batman code from overclockers, don't suppose it's usable?

UMadBro
26-06-2015, 10:18
And just got my batman code from overclockers, don't suppose it's usable?

Test it.

TSells31
27-06-2015, 08:28
Runs perfectly fine on PS4 and is probably the most fun game on the console to this point, minus Project Cars and GTA V.

Roger Prynne
27-06-2015, 09:42
Just spent 12hrs downloading this.... and then I read this thread!

Micas
27-06-2015, 17:30
Codes are still able to be redeemed for the game, and you can play it right away.

It's running great for me, but I still think it's completely stupid that if I use my dedicated physx GPU, my other GPUs will not run in SLI. That's the first game I've ever seen do that.

Too.. much... batmobile. I don't mind it as an alternative means (to grappling) of transportation, but having to use it to pull down walls and such is a bit much.

Micas
27-06-2015, 20:43
New Nvidia driver hot-fix (http://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvidia-geforce-353-38-hotfix-driver-released-fixes-chrome-crashesfreezestdrs/) fixed the SLI problem I was having in Arkham Knight. Others are reporting over-all improvements in performance.

MisterO
28-06-2015, 08:13
First small patch is out:

- Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game

- Fixed a bug which disabled rain effects and ambient occlusion. We are actively looking into fixing other bugs to improve this further

- Corrected an issue that was causing Steam to re-download the game when verifying the integrity of the game cache through the Steam client

- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when turning off Motion Blur in BmSystemSettings.ini. A future patch will enable this in the graphics settings menu

There's still a lot on there TO-DO list:

- Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu

- Fix for low resolution texture bug

- Improve overall performance and framerate hitches

- Add more options to the graphics settings menu

- Improvements to hard drive streaming and hitches

- Address full screen rendering bug on gaming laptop

- Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage

- NVIDIA SLI bug fixes

- Enabling AMD Crossfire

- NVIDIA and AMD updated drivers

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/June-27-Update-on-PC-Version-of-Arkham-Knight/m-p/581700#U581700