PDA

View Full Version : Profanity Filter Would Be Nice

Andrew_WOT
23-06-2015, 03:54
Surprised this board let post whatever swear words come to anyone's mind. Pretty disgusting.

jason
23-06-2015, 05:20
208791 I'm sorry I have said a bad word or 2 myself :(

ciderman9000000
23-06-2015, 06:44
http://thenewgay.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/millenials-old-lady-e1280417803329.jpg

Baron_Greenback
23-06-2015, 08:11
Oh well, then I must change the way I speak to suit the sensitive member of the forums.

chig88
23-06-2015, 10:56
You realise this is the internet, right?

Angst1974
23-06-2015, 10:58
I profanity filter would totally fucking awesome

Iamlegion
23-06-2015, 11:02
Surprised this board let post whatever swear words come to anyone's mind. Pretty disgusting.

I'm against censorship. We're all grownups here right?

Roger Prynne
23-06-2015, 11:08
I'm against censorship. We're all grownups here right?
Apparently not when you read some of the posts.

PTG Claret
23-06-2015, 11:46
The game is a Pegi 3 rating. So, yes, the official forums for a game that welcomes all from the age of 3 should be censored to reflect that.

It is possible to use the internet and be grown up without using obscenities.

Knightfall
23-06-2015, 12:10

Lol.... You are calling swearing on the internet disgusting?

You are going to have a tough, tough life.

Ally_bassman
23-06-2015, 12:12
You could hear profanities just by walking down the street.

The internet is just the same, turn a blind eye and ignore it..... Jeezzzz.

At the end of the day, they are mere words.

PTG Claret
23-06-2015, 12:23
Then where is the line drawn?

If its only words, you won't mind them being censored out so that under aged people don't have to see them.

Why is there such a backlash about a forum censoring swear Words.

Swearing is by definition the use of offensive language. Why provide a platform in a community driven game to needlessly offend?

Phishfinger
23-06-2015, 12:34
The game is a Pegi 3 rating. So, yes, the official forums for a game that welcomes all from the age of 3 should be censored to reflect that.

It is possible to use the internet and be grown up without using obscenities.

Please, won't somebody think about the children! :hopelessness:

It's possible to be a grown up and also use obscenities, the trick is not to over do it and try to use them with humor and the correct timing. I've not noticed anyone going too far with it while I've been a member on here though.

Liquid7394
23-06-2015, 12:49
Shit.

PTG Claret
23-06-2015, 12:57
Shit.
My point has been made by this "grown up"

PTG Claret
23-06-2015, 13:01

It's possible to be a grown up and also use obscenities, the trick is not to over do it and try to use them with humor and the correct timing. I've not noticed anyone going too far with it while I've been a member on here though.

Try that would be the case if the game was rated 18 - or for adults. But its not, the game is a Pegi 3. For people of all ages.

So yes. Think of the children. I know of at least two under 16s posting on here.

I'm pretty sure its the responsibility of the mods to protect forum users from offence. I.e swear wordsb

gtFOOTw
23-06-2015, 13:10
The freedom over here is a refreshing change from the heavy-handed dictatorship at Forzamotorsport.net.

Phishfinger
23-06-2015, 13:14
Try that would be the case if the game was rated 18 - or for adults. But its not, the game is a Pegi 3. For people of all ages.

So yes. Think of the children. I know of at least two under 16s posting on here.

I'm pretty sure its the responsibility of the mods to protect forum users from offence. I.e swear wordsb

Don't you have to be over a certain age to sign up to the forum though? There are disclaimers you agree too when you join although I don't remember them. Also if parents don't want their kids to see swear words on the internet they should take responsibility and use filters on their own computers.

PTG Claret
23-06-2015, 13:17
In fact, this is a direct quote from the forum rules, stickied at the top of General Discussion.

"- No rude language.
There are plenty of ways to get your point across in a decent manner, rude behavior will always invite more rude behavior, which solves nothing."

So I guess everyone swearing will at least receive an infraction for rude language?

Rules are rules after all. Theses a time and a place for swearing. On a public Forum linked to a professional developer is not that place.

And no, you do not have to be of a certain age to use the forums. Why would you when you only have to be 3 to play the related game. And you all agreed to the terns and services laid out on registration. You obviously forgot this:

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, ........"

So any swearwords are, by the forums own rules which you agree to, a slam-dunk infraction.

chig88
23-06-2015, 13:26

I assume 'under 16' means around 15 or so? If that's the case then I'm pretty damn sure they've already seen, heard and read worse than anything on here. And if they're much younger than that then, as Phishfinger points out above, their parents should be monitoring their internet usage. Not handing the responsibility off to a moderator on a forum.

As for being offended, I think it's pretty much up to you what you choose to be offended by. Personally, I haven't seen anything even remotely offensive on here, and if I was offended I think I'd focus on developing a thicker skin.

PTG Claret
23-06-2015, 13:29
I assume 'under 16' means around 15 or so? If that's the case then I'm pretty damn sure they've already seen, heard and read worse than anything on here. And if they're much younger than that then, as Phishfinger points out above, their parents should be monitoring their internet usage. Not handing the responsibility off to a moderator on a forum.

As for being offended, I think it's pretty much up to you what you choose to be offended by. Personally, I haven't seen anything even remotely offensive on here, and if I was offended I think I'd focus on developing a thicker skin.

It doesn't matter one dot what you find offensive. Vulgar language is against the for Ts and Cs and rude language is against the forum rules.

Prej
23-06-2015, 13:33
You all should get infractions. And IP bans.

Because.

chig88
23-06-2015, 13:40
It doesn't matter one dot what you find offensive. Vulgar language is against the for Ts and Cs and rude language is against the forum rules.

Perhaps not. But my opinion is just as worthwhile as yours. And given the responses above it seems that those backing a profanity filter are in the minority (highlighted by the fact that Umer, a Mod, liked a post including the word f**k - censored for your butter-wouldn't-melt benefit).

Also would you care to point out a post that includes 'vulgar' language and has gone unpunished? You seem to have got your panties in all sorts of a bunch without actually having anything to get 'offended' by.

PerFixAlot
23-06-2015, 13:41
I don't think anything is gained by filtering content, it just makes it so much more rewarding and spectacular for "provocateurs" to bypass them.

Also, many common words in one language are profane in another, so in the game there are some names filtered out because they are similar to English profanities, although it might even be a real name.
In essence this is the Scunthorpe problem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem
Even Google can't solve this problem, as Youtube comments often reveal.

Then you have the cultural differences, what one region of the world finds normal, even desirable, can be highly offensive in another.
Personally I find the "bleeping" in American TV shows far more offensive than any word could ever be.

And finally, swearing has health benefits too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoalgesic_effect_of_swearing

As an IT worker, my solution would be that those who want to filter content install a filter on their side, as filtering the source is a can of worms that just isn't worth opening.
Google "Browser profanity filter" and you should find plenty of plugins and software for that.

PTG Claret
23-06-2015, 13:54
Why should I bother with all that, when the terns and conditions of the website you, I and 108,311 more people ticked a box to agree with say:

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, .…..."

I'd like to here what a moderator thinks about the use of foul language on here.

Why is it not moderated?

PTG Claret
23-06-2015, 13:58
Perhaps not. But my opinion is just as worthwhile as yours. And given the responses above it seems that those backing a profanity filter are in the minority (highlighted by the fact that Umer, a Mod, liked a post including the word f**k - censored for your butter-wouldn't-melt benefit).

Also would you care to point out a post that includes 'vulgar' language and has gone unpunished? You seem to have got your panties in all sorts of a bunch without actually having anything to get 'offended' by.

There are at least two posts is this thread alone containing vulgar language.

Read them if you like. 1 post is nothing but one swear word.

chig88
23-06-2015, 14:06
Why should I bother with all that, when the terns and conditions of the website you, I and 108,311 more people ticked a box to agree with say:

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, .…..."

I'd like to here what a moderator thinks about the use of foul language on here.

Why is it not moderated?

Yes, why would you even bother to be offended? Much easier to just pretend and then rant on about it anyway.

As I pointed out above, given the fact that it Umer (a mod) has been in the thread it obviously is moderated. It's just that nobody seems to be getting quite as worked up about it as you are.

I don't think I've posted anything outside the rules, but if I have and the mods want to give me an infraction for it, I'll happily apologise.

Also, the discussion is about whether a profanity filter should be implemented, not about whether people are following the terms and conditions. If a profanity filter was implemented I wouldn't really be bothered, it's just that I find discussions over censorship quite interesting.

FMS
23-06-2015, 14:20
Some sociologists aim for an anaemic society... That said, are these not profane times? There is much sickness, much litigation... :)

PTG Claret
23-06-2015, 14:20
I never said anyone in particular did anything. Not even mentioned you. Sorry if you feel I did.

And sorry for evolving the discussion as the thread moved. Maybe I should start another thread asking if it is acceptable to use swear words on this forum, despite it saying in a) the Ts and Cs, and b) in the forum rules that it is not allowed.

We all know swearing is likely to offend. That's why you are warned about it in films, on TV before watershed, and on websites, you have to be of a certain age if "adult language" is to be used. This forum does none of that, yet the rules infer there will be no foul, vulgar or rude language on here.

Swearing isn't called swearing because its nice or necessary. Swear words by definition are used to cause offence. So he's, I would like a profanity filter so people offended by swear words, don't have to be offended.

Reinart86
23-06-2015, 14:31

PerFixAlot
23-06-2015, 14:32

Why is it not moderated?

I don't think anyone should bother with all of that, though if you insists on filtering content it seems the most effective approach, from an information management point of view.
If we had a system that allowed anyone to choose what should be shown it would be close to perfect, I guess.

It's not perfect, but neither is the universe we live in. Blame entropy, relativity, broken symmetry, evolution, bounded rationality.. in any case the result is complexity, balancing on the edge of chaos.
There simply isn't a simple universal solution, only very resource demanding workarounds, and in my opinion it just isn't logistically viable to uphold moderation effectively, or a high priority for that matter.

So, in a way I agree, you shouldn't have to bother, but only as much as we shouldn't have to bother with burglars, traffic accidents, earthquakes, etc. We really shouldn't, but what can you realistically do?

Liquid7394
23-06-2015, 14:34
My point has been made by this "grown up"

The fact that you're upset by a supposedly profane word that had absolutely no context is pretty pathetic. Let me ask you, would you be as offended if I had said poo instead? Afterall they have the exact same meaning.

Swear words are harmless unless they are used in an offensive way, so take your self-righteous attitude somewhere else. A 'grown up' wouldn't cry over such petty things.

lmntr
23-06-2015, 14:47
There is a report icon on the bottom of all posts. That would be the most efficient way to do this. Just one question, do you get identified to the perpetrator if you do this?

chig88
23-06-2015, 14:48
There are at least two posts is this thread alone containing vulgar language.

Read them if you like. 1 post is nothing but one swear word.

You see what you did there? Follow the same process, only report it to a mod instead of a bunch of other users who obviously couldn't care less and are not offended by such a trivial matter.

Tip: use the triangle button with an exclamation mark in it (at the bottom of the 'offensive' post) to report.

Phishfinger
23-06-2015, 14:59
Some rules aren't enforced because they're not very important in the grand scheme of things.

It is still an offence to beat or shake any carpet rug or mat in any street in the Metropolitan Police District, although you are allowed to shake a doormat before 8am.

Strangely, this law actually turned out to be true under the Metropolitan Police Act 1839, section 60 and for other districts; Town Police Clauses Act 1847, section 28. The following five laws were also initiated by the same section 28 and are still in force.

http://britainexplorer.com/feature-articles/item/170-curious-british-laws

mcscott
23-06-2015, 15:01
Hahahaaa I would LOVE to see what a moderator thinks of this argument!

Phishfinger
23-06-2015, 15:05
If you're going to start banning swear words you need to first identify which words are taboo. May I suggest George Carlin's 7 words...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbZhpf3sQxQ

J00N10R
23-06-2015, 15:25
I would rather see enforcement of proper grammar before swearing.

Fractured Life
23-06-2015, 15:26
I know of at least two under 16s posting on here.

And their parents let them access the internet and expect them not to see profanities?

Take this for example. The word c*** in the U.S.A. is incredibly offensive. Yet in Ireland I can call my pops a stupid c*** and my mum will piss herself laughing with me. Its almost a term of endearment.

If this really is a huge deal for you I'm sure there are others of a like mind who you could talk to about it, instead of on an actual forum where it appears most people don't see this as an issue. People who get offended by swearing often get offended by, amongst other things: gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia, people with a different opinion, other religions and so on and so forth. So those might be some places to visit to find others who maybe can help you organize a petition, or help you organize a picket at the home of the company who hosts the forum. T and C's....LMAO
In "god's" apparent T and C's we should love one another and be forgiving and understanding but somehow that translates to hating gays and anyone who wants to take away our guns. Gotta love the human condition

On topic though...most swearing I have seen has been ranters directing it at the developers, or the other 90% of us having some Banter. Words are just words. They fit into two categories. Words for conversation, and words to incite hatred. Profanities often fall into the first category unless they are specific to the second category. If that sounds clever it shouldn't cos I just made that shit up on the spot.

Awong124
23-06-2015, 15:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

GamingCanuck
23-06-2015, 15:48
Watch your profamity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpigjnKl7nI

ciderman9000000
23-06-2015, 15:52
Swear words by definition are used to cause offence.

So by the very definition then, if somebody were to use the words 'shit', 'fuck' or 'willy' without meaning to cause offence, then those words cannot reasonably be defined as swear words.

I can tell you honestly that I use those words all the time and very rarely mean any offence by it. So by definition, when used by myself, they would only very rarely be considered as being swear words.

If anybody were to use those words on here in an offensive manner then I'm sure the mods would take action (in fact, I've seen it happen) just as they'd rightly take action against anybody doing anything else in a particularly offensive manner, but since in the vast majority of cases no offence is meant then the item in the T&C's you keep referring to simply wouldn't apply.

TrevorAustin
23-06-2015, 16:00
Oh yes, we're all adults on here.

5 pages of arguing about the right to be able to swear just because that's how people live their lives. Absolute proof in that, oh dear.

NemethR
23-06-2015, 16:13

Today's parents have to worry about 2 things regarding th Internet.

1.) What their boys download.
2.) What their girls upload.

FA RACING 01
23-06-2015, 16:16
Yeah, some very interesting arguments on moral values around here.

PTG Claret
23-06-2015, 16:24
And their parents let them access the internet and expect them not to see profanities?

Take this for example. The word c*** in the U.S.A. is incredibly offensive. Yet in Ireland I can call my pops a stupid c*** and my mum will piss herself laughing with me. Its almost a term of endearment.

If this really is a huge deal for you I'm sure there are others of a like mind who you could talk to about it, instead of on an actual forum where it appears most people don't see this as an issue. People who get offended by swearing often get offended by, amongst other things: gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia, people with a different opinion, other religions and so on and so forth. So those might be some places to visit to find others who maybe can help you organize a petition, or help you organize a picket at the home of the company who hosts the forum. T and C's....LMAO
In "god's" apparent T and C's we should love one another and be forgiving and understanding but somehow that translates to hating gays and anyone who wants to take away our guns. Gotta love the human condition

On topic though...most swearing I have seen has been ranters directing it at the developers, or the other 90% of us having some Banter. Words are just words. They fit into two categories. Words for conversation, and words to incite hatred. Profanities often fall into the first category unless they are specific to the second category. If that sounds clever it shouldn't cos I just made that shit up on the spot.

As a gay man, I'm not offended by gay marraige, but find it pathetic beyond belief that you assume anyone offended by swear words is often homophobic.

By that logic, the fact you advertise you play with a spliff would indicate your at the bottom of society.

Your thoughts would certainly indicate that.

jpmmuc
23-06-2015, 16:36
The whole discussion has absolutely nothing to do with Project CARS so please would it be possible to close this discussion or at least move it to the off topic section.

chig88
23-06-2015, 17:16
the fact you advertise you play with a spliff would indicate your at the bottom of society.

Yep, it's not okay to say shit in case it offends someone, but it's fine to say someone is at the bottom end of society. Because that's definitely not offensive, right?

Your world view is pretty damn skewed.

Flaw3dGenius
23-06-2015, 18:01
Lets not turn this place into the censorship/dictatorship that the Forza forums have become over the years!

PTG Claret
23-06-2015, 18:04
Yep, it's not okay to say shit in case it offends someone, but it's fine to say someone is at the bottom end of society. Because that's definitely not offensive, right?

Your world view is pretty damn skewed.

Conveniently missed off the first part of that paragraph.

Context is a wonderful thing.

chig88
23-06-2015, 18:11
Conveniently missed off the first part of that paragraph.

Context is a wonderful thing.

Literally no idea what you're on about now.

You, sir, are a *****.

Stag
23-06-2015, 18:31
Swearing makes you sound tougher and impresses the girls. A couple a sentence is usually enough IMO

Fractured Life
23-06-2015, 18:35
As a gay man, I'm not offended by gay marraige, but find it pathetic beyond belief that you assume anyone offended by swear words is often homophobic.

By that logic, the fact you advertise you play with a spliff would indicate your at the bottom of society.

Come to Ireland dude. You'll learn the finer points of using vulgar language AND we allow gay marriage with the same rights under the law as hetero's. And if my thoughts and like of a good toke put me at the bottom of society, I'm completely cool with that.

PTG Claret
23-06-2015, 18:47
Literally no idea what you're on about now.

You, sir, are a *****.

So, instead of quoting me properly, you cut off the first part of the sentence, the part which shows that I'm not saying he is the bottom of society, but that if I used his logic he would, and and then result to a cheap, direct insult.

Kudos to censoring it out though ;-)

Bealdor
23-06-2015, 18:55
Dafuq did I just read? Are you guys seriously insulting each other while discussing how insults should be handled on this forum? It's really not that hard folks:

1) Stay away from insults, even if you heavily disgree with the other member
2) If you feel offended or insulted use the Report button
3) We will not filter out/censor any swearing on this forum. We're counting on the maturity of every individual.

4) Thread closed because you guys can't refrain from insults while discussing them (sigh)