PDA

View Full Version : Patrience Grasshopper, Patience.....

Charles Gillen
23-06-2015, 04:27
So I'm learning something valuable here....

Silverstone in F/C, thirty laps starting about eighteenth in a field of twentyfive cars. After at least seven or eight restarts, I begin to realize that the AI are not the problem. It seems I've been Forzafied. I'm trying to win the race in three laps. Resulting in my pushing the car to the point that mistakes are being made.

A lot of players have come to the forums complaining that the AI are just retarded. But after watching my own replays I'm seeing a different story here. If I just wait for the opportunity to pass the race goes much smoother.

In the past, one had to "push it" to get to the front then just holdout for one or two laps for the win. Or chase the one inhumanly fast AI driver for the remainder of the short sprint race.

In PCARs, one must learn that the race is gonna take a little while and actually settle in to the pace, taking passing opportunitys as they are presented. No guaruntee that your going to win every race.. Only the promise that you were actually RACING.

So when anyone wants to come here and complain about the "stupid" AI, first they should look at a replay and decide if AI are actually the problem.

Well, thats my daily rant. I'll be at Silverstone trying to actually finish with a whole car. Cheers

Charles

TheReaper GT
23-06-2015, 04:45
Great post Charles. Kudos

jason
23-06-2015, 05:18
Yep ! its a tricky habit to break . good post .

Royall58
23-06-2015, 09:51
Great post! I found the same thing, I had to break the habit. As soon as I changed my style to suit PCars with setting a pace I was passing the 10+ cars much easier over race distance compared to trying at the first corner. Only problem with this you get into the zone and forget things... like picking your girlfriend up from work oooops.

Luke Townsend
23-06-2015, 10:10
Yes, excellent post!! Treat AI like tough humans that want to win as much as you do, and it works so well! Some people aren't used to AI being feisty. But 95% of the time the AI are fair. When people complain they seem to think the AI should vanish into thin air to let them by. ;)

nissan4ever
23-06-2015, 10:46
Only problem with this you get into the zone and forget things... like picking your girlfriend up from work oooops.

LOL, good one.

o2R Dsquared 07
23-06-2015, 12:42
I've usually zero interest in racing against the AI in racing games, yet I find it quite enjoyable to race PCars AI on 100%. You can have a decent race with them. Not like Forza AI which is just braking at the merest sight of a corner

Fractured Life
23-06-2015, 12:49
I thought they were horrible the first few races I tried but eventually came to the same conclusion about them. I investigated some more and found through deduction and watching replays that I drive like a dick at the start of the race.

Now I notice that if I've followed them correctly through a sector and have the speed to get alongside on the next straight, they go out of their way to leave me the space to pass, even to the point that they WILL drive off track if I veer towards them when alongside.

nissan4ever
23-06-2015, 12:53
Very true. FM5 did make us bad racers. Only literally a couple laps to come from the back to get to first. You have no choice but to drive like a nut. With Project CARS, race like they do in real life, you have very enjoyable races with the AI. Will get even better in patch 1.5 :)

o2R Dsquared 07
23-06-2015, 13:02
Very true. FM5 did make us bad racers. Only literally a couple laps to come from the back to get to first. You have no choice but to drive like a nut. With Project CARS, race like they do in real life, you have very enjoyable races with the AI. Will get even better in patch 1.5 :)

Something happening with AI in patch 1.5?

Neil Bateman
23-06-2015, 13:08

The AI are a work in progress so will probably see AI updates in a few but not all patches.

nissan4ever
23-06-2015, 13:13

Doug from SMS has stated that they've improved how far ahead the AI looks for danger/things in its path. They've lowered it & has improved AI performance.

MartinMWWebb
23-06-2015, 13:23
Great post and i found exactly the same also, i dont mind (too much) if i dont win every race now its about the racing.

Dominic Mako
23-06-2015, 13:24
Reading these posts now I see why the drivatards were so bad in FM5. Yeah, you shouldn't blitz the pack on turn 1 and ram cars out of the way. You know a good way to break that habit? Join a league or a club. Ram people off the track and you'll find yourself racing alone with the AI again pretty quickly.

nissan4ever
23-06-2015, 13:28
Reading these posts now I see why the drivatards were so bad in FM5. Yeah, you shouldn't blitz the pack on turn 1 and ram cars out of the way. You know a good way to break that habit? Join a league or a club. Ram people off the track and you'll find yourself racing alone with the AI again pretty quickly.

:glee:

Fractured Life
23-06-2015, 13:37
An example of things that were going wrong due to my driving :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPBDjZd5zqs

Doug from SMS has stated that they've improved how far ahead the AI looks for danger/things in its path. They've lowered it & has improved AI performance.

So thats why the yellow guy at the end just kills me! lol

Doug914
23-06-2015, 13:53

It's not earth shaking, but we all feel its an improvement. Because of the organic-ness of the AI, changes like this can also come with some regression in other area's. So be mindfull of that when you give feedback on it. No bashing :). But i struggled to see any negative effects from the changes. Then again there's no substitute for a couple of hundred thousand testers to flesh out missed details ;)

OverHaased
23-06-2015, 14:38

It was a mercy killing;)

Sankyo
23-06-2015, 14:46
So I'm learning something valuable here....

Silverstone in F/C, thirty laps starting about eighteenth in a field of twentyfive cars. After at least seven or eight restarts, I begin to realize that the AI are not the problem. It seems I've been Forzafied. I'm trying to win the race in three laps. Resulting in my pushing the car to the point that mistakes are being made.

A lot of players have come to the forums complaining that the AI are just retarded. But after watching my own replays I'm seeing a different story here. If I just wait for the opportunity to pass the race goes much smoother.

In the past, one had to "push it" to get to the front then just holdout for one or two laps for the win. Or chase the one inhumanly fast AI driver for the remainder of the short sprint race.

In PCARs, one must learn that the race is gonna take a little while and actually settle in to the pace, taking passing opportunitys as they are presented. No guaruntee that your going to win every race.. Only the promise that you were actually RACING.

So when anyone wants to come here and complain about the "stupid" AI, first they should look at a replay and decide if AI are actually the problem.

Well, thats my daily rant. I'll be at Silverstone trying to actually finish with a whole car. Cheers

Charles
So much (common) sense in that posting that my brain couldn't handle all of it at once.

Plato99
23-06-2015, 15:56

Thats a real shame. I've just gotten used to knowing how far to stick out my elbows to make the AI take to the grass / gravel traps !!!

agentbeef
23-06-2015, 15:58
An example of things that were going wrong due to my driving :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPBDjZd5zqs

lol you dead.

Fractured Life
23-06-2015, 18:21
POW! Rite in the Kissa!

MonK3Y
24-06-2015, 00:20
I've had the game since day one, I don't care much for the career I mostly do time attack and the odd racing week-end. I play in the highest difficulty level and had to put TCS and ABS on because some cars are just mental. Anyway. To this day, I've never earned a pole position, podium or race win. It may not happen in a long time and my stats are appaling but the pursuit of speed and consistency is very gratifying.

OpticalHercules
24-06-2015, 01:07
Only problem I see with respecting the AI like this is the backmarkers still don't respect, and maybe don't even receive, Blue Flags to let the leaders by. They still fight as if it were for position. In a longer race with mandatory pit stops getting stuck behind a backmarker for a few laps will absolutely screw your race once you make your pit.

I know the AI behavior is on the table for patching, I just hope this is part of it, else I'm forced to either lower difficulty or lower race duration for the time being.

The Doctor 46
24-06-2015, 15:54
Only problem I see with respecting the AI like this is the backmarkers still don't respect, and maybe don't even receive, Blue Flags to let the leaders by. They still fight as if it were for position. In a longer race with mandatory pit stops getting stuck behind a backmarker for a few laps will absolutely screw your race once you make your pit.

I know the AI behavior is on the table for patching, I just hope this is part of it, else I'm forced to either lower difficulty or lower race duration for the time being.

They do actually get blue flags and will move out of the way, or at least they do for me eventually (perhaps I'm just more popular than you in AI circles :p). The problem lies in that they still RACE you till they've got all three flags it seems. They should in no way defend there position from you at all, really.

OT: I completely agree with the OP. I still get a bit prang when one turns in on me when I'm 3/4 ahead in the braking zone, but I normally calm down and accept that I was probably driving like a bellend.

capitaobarreto
24-06-2015, 20:45
A little bit of this "change" of driving style... this is an online race with 15 guys in lobby and look how start is careful ! And we have a great race, with weather varation, 18 laps and a lot of challenges !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSWSerS_fWM

Keep walking guys !