PDA

View Full Version : Logitech G29?

darkfenor
23-06-2015, 13:45
Hello everyone.
Anybody who has got their hands on the new Logitech G29?;)
Impressions? There are already some reviews around?
Who tested it did comparisons with the Thrustmaster T500RS?:culpability:
Thanks!

Sebstinator
23-06-2015, 19:01
USE SEARCHBOX !!!111!!!

Martini Da Gasalini
23-06-2015, 22:38
Hello everyone.
Anybody who has got their hands on the new Logitech G29?;)
Impressions? There are already some reviews around?
Who tested it did comparisons with the Thrustmaster T500RS?:culpability:
Thanks!

hasn't come out yet, they're still in pre-order stages.

rocafella1978
24-06-2015, 02:26
japp was looked at on E3 and coming out beginning of July 2015 (G29) and the Xbox one in September 2015

Slaughter
24-06-2015, 23:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhcW3Rfc6qM

Diablo944
25-06-2015, 00:16
Lol, pc detects it as a g27
Yet another kick in the nuts for g27 owners wanting to use it on a ps4 when they know the pc sees it as their old wheel and not a g29

LordDRIFT
25-06-2015, 00:56
Wow. "Feels essentially the same as a g27". At what point does this become a moral issue?

Fre.Mo
25-06-2015, 10:00
It s a shame...

chig88
25-06-2015, 10:30
Wow. "Feels essentially the same as a g27". At what point does this become a moral issue?

Has been for a while already.

lordymatsuo
25-06-2015, 12:02
wow, this has just made my decision so much easier

LordDRIFT
25-06-2015, 13:35
wow, this has just made my decision so much easier

It made mine much worse. I currently own a 1 month old t300 that has died. I've seen the inards and I can tell you its amateur hour over at TM and not worth the price of admission. For a bespoke unit maybe. For mass production no matter the volume not so much. Logitech has proving reliable and they should have more state of the art manufacturing and assembly. I was all set to get the g29 instead of replacing the t300 thinking it would have some performance upgrades. So here is the kicker. Every review states that the g27 is a relic and the t300 is miles ahead. So essentially do I spend the $400 dollars on performance (that I actually rather like) or do I spend it on reliability and forever miss the feel of the t300? Will another t300 actually go the distance this time?

SketchyRacer
25-06-2015, 16:11
It made mine much worse. I currently own a 1 month old t300 that has died. I've seen the inards and I can tell you its amateur hour over at TM and not worth the price of admission. For a bespoke unit maybe. For mass production no matter the volume not so much. Logitech has proving reliable and they should have more state of the art manufacturing and assembly. I was all set to get the g29 instead of replacing the t300 thinking it would have some performance upgrades. So here is the kicker. Every review states that the g27 is a relic and the t300 is miles ahead. So essentially do I spend the $400 dollars on performance (that I actually rather like) or do I spend it on reliability and forever miss the feel of the t300? Will another t300 actually go the distance this time?

can you not get it repaired under warranty? especially it being 1 month old?

Diablo944
25-06-2015, 16:39

Cant seem to find any pics of the t300 innards so no way i can say much really. I do see people moaning about the fact it uses belts, which as a ducati owner just makes me smirk when i think what a tortuous route the cam belts take on a four valve duke and somehow they survive well enough, same goes for all those car drivers with cam belts. If the right belt is chosen for a task then its never an issue. But somehow i get the feeling your issue wasnt belt related. Either way, get in touch with tm, there must be a warrnty longer than 28 days in place

Steam
25-06-2015, 16:51
http://i.gyazo.com/76cff96fbd335678317b31c4ad0ca57a.png

thegt500
25-06-2015, 17:11
I've had my T300RS for four months now and not had a moments problem with it. Even when I first used it on GT6 and had the in game FFB force set to 10 (the setting I had to have my DFGT wheel on to get any feel) it was rock solid.
I too have read the tales of woe and dissatisfaction from owners, but I presume the faulty ones were a bad batch of early wheels and later ones seem to be better ? I don't feel I've made the wrong decision by getting a TM wheel rather than a Logitech as from my experience coming from the DFGT, the TM is a lot better in every aspect.
I can't comment on whether the T300 is better than a G27 as I never used one, but by other reports of comparison, the T300 is considered better. Also, there is the uproar of compatibility of the older Logitech wheels. I can't wait to hear Logitech's excuse for this. Maybe it'll be along the lines of "we wanted to ensure complete compatibility both in game and menus and our old wheels just couldn't' ?

Diablo944
25-06-2015, 17:20
Logitech probably wont comment on the compatibility thing, especially now they have fixed the g27 issue with the ps4 by releasing the g27b. Its a g27 with hall effect instead of optical sensors, obviously now called the g29 to save confusion.
That eighteen months to change from optical to a couple of magnets must really have pushed the development team hard. Not forgetting how expensive those new sensors must be, when you consider they no longer include the shifter in the deal and the g29 cost to buyers over the older model.
They must be so glad that brand loyalty still exists for some customers out there.

JeyD02
25-06-2015, 17:25
Logitech probably wont comment on the compatibility thing, especially now they have fixed the g27 issue with the ps4 by releasing the g27b. Its a g27 with hall effect instead of optical sensors, obviously now called the g29 to save confusion.
That eighteen months to change from optical to a couple of magnets must really have pushed the development team hard. Not forgetting how expensive those new sensors must be, when you consider they no longer include the shifter in the deal and the g29 cost to buyers over the older model.
They must be so glad that brand loyalty still exists for some customers out there.

That's not a problem, but the price justification?

Diablo944
25-06-2015, 18:13
That's not a problem, but the price justification?
In a tongue in cheek way, that was kind of what i was having a dig at them for. Minor tweak to g27 design, loss of shifter and a price that puts it in the t300 bracket rather than where the g27 was originally aimed at price wise. I understand that a couple of years have passed and that there is a certain amount of price increase involved. But with the loss of the shifter that should have reduced the price considerably so the wheel/base should have been cheaper than the g27? People keep saying the logitech stuff was reliable, so why even change the optical sensors to hall effect? Surely if they were already reliable then leave the design alone and just build a g27 mark two for the ps4 (which in reality they pretty much did). I am sure that if logitech had said they were going to build a revised g27 that worked with the ps4 at the original price point of the g27, it would have still angered the original g27 owners, but would have made buying the new version significantly less painful in terms of cost, while giving value for money to new adopters. Instead they put a g27 in new clothes, took away the shifter and then priced it at a figure way beyond a g27. I appreciate there are set up costs in manufacturing a new design of case/wheel, which brings you straight back to the same thought process, why not tweak the g27 and price it accordingly rather than fully redress the old design and charge high? People would still have bought a tweaked g27 even if it were near identical to its older non ps4 compatable model and at a g27 price 'with or without a shifter' it would have actually been seen as value for money.

The g29 is just shady to me. The fact the pc sees the g29 as a g27 just rubs salt in the wound. All that and I didnt even get into the fact the new shifter has less buttons than the old one.

chig88
25-06-2015, 18:21
"I'd like to thank Chris Pate from Logitech for putting his hand up my backside and working me like a sock puppet."
- Darin Gangi, Inside Sim Racing, June 2015

LordDRIFT
25-06-2015, 19:02
Cant seem to find any pics of the t300 innards so no way i can say much really. I do see people moaning about the fact it uses belts, which as a ducati owner just makes me smirk when i think what a tortuous route the cam belts take on a four valve duke and somehow they survive well enough, same goes for all those car drivers with cam belts. If the right belt is chosen for a task then its never an issue. But somehow i get the feeling your issue wasnt belt related. Either way, get in touch with tm, there must be a warrnty longer than 28 days in place

I started the process on Monday. Not playing pcars for the past week has been unbearable (though I have caught up on my movie screenings and im riding my mountain bike again, and seeing my kid, and my wife, and eating, and sleeping....) so I don't think I will wait for it to play out. I'll shop as soon as I make up my mind. If it get replaced or fixed I will sell the unit.

Slaughter
25-06-2015, 19:17
As far as price is concerned I see this being a mutual understanding between Sony, thrustmaster, and Logitech. I don't think Logitech would of obtain licensing if they under cut thrustmaster prices. Sooner or later there will be a sale or discount available for the G29. The question is "Who is going to sit around and wait on it?" Logitech knows that they will sell a shit load of units at that price until Christmas. Notice the release is hitting into the back to school window and the start of Christmas shopping window which starts around August and September these days. They are no major racing titles being released for the PS4 until October or November if EA doesn't push back their NFS release. So the options on very limited and if you're not a PC gamer also; you are wasting your money on a PS4 wheel.

RMpage
25-06-2015, 19:32
As far as price is concerned I see this being a mutual understanding between Sony, thrustmaster, and Logitech. I don't think Logitech would of obtain licensing if they under cut thrustmaster prices. Sooner or later there will be a sale or discount available for the G29. The question is "Who is going to sit around and wait on it?" Logitech knows that they will sell a shit load of units at that price until Christmas. Notice the release is hitting into the back to school window and the start of Christmas shopping window which starts around August and September these days. They are no major racing titles being released for the PS4 until October or November if EA doesn't push back their NFS release. So the options on very limited and if you're not a PC gamer also; you are wasting your money on a PS4 wheel.

Pretty sure that would be illegal price fixing. I think it is more likely that Logitech feels the market will pay that price when looking at the pricing of its competitors. Especially since they must be aware that there seems to be a T300 shortage.
"This looks like a job foooor Captain Cash-Grab and Oscar the Opportunist!" NaNa-Na-Nat, Na-Nuh...

Whisky
25-06-2015, 19:43
the Price of the g29 is way to high for a Remake of a g27.
anyway there are alot of People which would buy a logitech over a thrustmaster and since you can use the wheel for ps4 and pc this wheel will sell like crazy.
moneygrab tho, very old technic of the ffb

Diablo944
25-06-2015, 19:48
the Price of the g29 is way to high for a Remake of a g27.
anyway there are alot of People which would buy a logitech over a thrustmaster and since you can use the wheel for ps4 and pc this wheel will sell like crazy.
moneygrab tho, very old technic of the ffb

But if you are going to use it for pc rather than a ps4? Best bet then is the cheaper g27, second hand, with a shifter thrown in :-)

LordDRIFT
26-06-2015, 01:11
Okay ..TM .. replied they will not warranty ebay purchase. Case closed. If the will not stand behind their 1 month old product then they made the decision for me. They will only get my money once. It was a fun ride while it lasted.

stux
26-06-2015, 01:18

Buy a t300 from a retailer with an extended warranty program...

stux
26-06-2015, 01:24
Okay ..TM .. replied they will not warranty ebay purchase. Case closed. If the will not stand behind their 1 month old product then they made the decision for me. They will only get my money once. It was a fun ride while it lasted.

There is a thread on isrtv forums on repairing thrustmaster bases (and upgrading the internal components too). Should check it out, even if it's just to sell a dead t300 to someone

Diablo944
26-06-2015, 01:34

Well that sucks. Though good to know for others, glad i bought mine from them direct now just in case anything does crop up

Diablo944
26-06-2015, 01:59
There is a thread on isrtv forums on repairing thrustmaster bases (and upgrading the internal components too). Should check it out, even if it's just to sell a dead t300 to someone
I wouldnt mind seeing that thread but cant find it. Dont really want to join yet another forum just to read one thread. Any chance of a link? If its not something we can do in a public forum then via pm? Sorry if i sound lazy, i am not, i am just aware that my digital footprint is now about the size of australia.

Scrap that, found it

SketchyRacer
26-06-2015, 15:49
I wouldnt mind seeing that thread but cant find it. Dont really want to join yet another forum just to read one thread. Any chance of a link? If its not something we can do in a public forum then via pm? Sorry if i sound lazy, i am not, i am just aware that my digital footprint is now about the size of australia.

Scrap that, found it

link :)

Spitfire77
26-06-2015, 18:39

That is known for almost any product - resellers and auctions sites - warranty is not transferable. Pretty much goes for anything bought on ebay. It is seen the same as buying the wheel from a garage sale. Only verified retailers can transfer the warranty. Thrustmaster is not responsible for a sale on ebay - who knows what that seller did to the product before they sent it to you?

I bought my T300 on amazon - it developed an issue after 41 days of use - I sent TM all the info needed and they mailed me a shipping label to RMA it. It sucks but they honor their product and warranty when it is valid.

LordDRIFT
26-06-2015, 18:45
That is known for almost any product - resellers and auctions sites - warranty is not transferable. Pretty much goes for anything bought on ebay. It is seen the same as buying the wheel from a garage sale. Only verified retailers can transfer the warranty. Thrustmaster is not responsible for a sale on ebay - who knows what that seller did to the product before they sent it to you?

I bought my T300 on amazon - it developed an issue after 41 days of use - I sent TM all the info needed and they mailed me a shipping label to RMA it. It sucks but they honor their product and warranty when it is valid.

Okay.

LordDRIFT
27-06-2015, 00:47
So I did a thing today while I grapple with my pending decision. I launched gt6 and had a proper drive for the first time since 2015 started. I hooked up my trusty DFGT. You know what? I did not puke. It felt pretty good in comparison to the t300. Obviously not as strong. But I dialed back the FFB (lateral forces) on the t300 because it was unrealistically strong. Since the wheel overheats at high forces and looses strength anyway , doesn't make much difference. So while it is more powerful I don't need all that power. Is it smoother?..heck yea. But it wasnt to the point where I was like ugh I could never use the Dfgt after playing with the t300 (the pedals are another story). I was also happy to use the dpad on the wheel without leaving an imprint on my thumb (that wont matter when 2.0 comes around though).

So what I'm saying is, while Ive never driven with the g27, it must be better than the dfgt. Though the t300 may be better than the g27, If I would be willing to live with the dfgt , then the g29 should more than do. So out of 40% principle and 60% belief that the t300 is not well made I think I'll get the g29. If I owned a g27 though , those same principles would have me looking at the fanatecs.

Psychomatrix
27-06-2015, 01:06
The wheel was a bad joke and the price is over the top. 250 euros will be ok and they never must pay 150 euro license to sony or ms. Everbody who gives logitech nearly 500 euro with shifter deserve nothing better. they really think people are so stupid and don't realize that this a wheel with 10 year old technical features. Ive expected more from logitech.

Diablo944
27-06-2015, 01:58
So I did a thing today while I grapple with my pending decision. I launched gt6 and had a proper drive for the first time since 2015 started. I hooked up my trusty DFGT. You know what? I did not puke. It felt pretty good in comparison to the t300. Obviously not as strong. But I dialed back the FFB (lateral forces) on the t300 because it was unrealistically strong. Since the wheel overheats at high forces and looses strength anyway , doesn't make much difference. So while it is more powerful I don't need all that power. Is it smoother?..heck yea. But it wasnt to the point where I was like ugh I could never use the Dfgt after playing with the t300 (the pedals are another story). I was also happy to use the dpad on the wheel without leaving an imprint on my thumb (that wont matter when 2.0 comes around though).

So what I'm saying is, while Ive never driven with the g27, it must be better than the dfgt. Though the t300 may be better than the g27, If I would be willing to live with the dfgt , then the g29 should more than do. So out of 40% principle and 60% belief that the t300 is not well made I think I'll get the g29. If I owned a g27 though , those same principles would have me looking at the fanatecs.
I wouldnt buy a logitech after their dumping their previous user base and not either sorting or explaining the lack of compatability for g27 on ps4. Its all well and good people touting non disclosure as the reason for silence, but owners still got shafted.
Now the g29 is out which is a glorified g27 but at a massive price increase over the wheel its based on. We already know there is no proprietary chip in there, so the cost is just ridiculous.
I think we would all understand why you personally have a downer on thrustmaster, you dont want expensive gear failing so quickly, but as far as I am aware, much as i like the quality of fanatec stuff, its compatability is dictated by the software developers rather than with a ps4 as a given. I doubt any manufacturer wouod want heir wheel left out, or any games maker doing a racing game leave out the fanatecs. But solely on a 'most likely' scenario, i would expect devs to support the official wheels before fanatec. I may be massively wide of the mark, but my initial thoights on getting fanatec stuff were influenced by the possibility that sms might be a rarity in supporting the fanatec stuff on ps4.

Either way, you vote with your wallet, whichever you choose is the right one for you at the time

LordDRIFT
27-06-2015, 02:10
I wouldnt buy a logitech after their dumping their previous user base and not either sorting or explaining the lack of compatability for g27 on ps4. Its all well and good people touting non disclosure as the reason for silence, but owners still got shafted.
Now the g29 is out which is a glorified g27 but at a massive price increase over the wheel its based on. We already know there is no proprietary chip in there, so the cost is just ridiculous.
I think we would all understand why you personally have a downer on thrustmaster, you dont want expensive gear failing so quickly, but as far as I am aware, much as i like the quality of fanatec stuff, its compatability is dictated by the software developers rather than with a ps4 as a given. I doubt any manufacturer wouod want heir wheel left out, or any games maker doing a racing game leave out the fanatecs. But solely on a 'most likely' scenario, i would expect devs to support the official wheels before fanatec. I may be massively wide of the mark, but my initial thoights on getting fanatec stuff were influenced by the possibility that sms might be a rarity in supporting the fanatec stuff on ps4.

Either way, you vote with your wallet, whichever you choose is the right one for you at the time

Rock and a hard place man. When did it get like this?

Diablo944
27-06-2015, 04:09
Rock and a hard place man. When did it get like this?
When profits became more important than customer satisfaction and support