PDA

View Full Version : How Hard Is It To Get a License For a Car?

RDogg
24-06-2015, 11:28
Out of curiosity, I always hear for all kinds of games "We need a license for XYZ, etc..". I know why obviously, but how hard is it? Does it cost quite a lot?

I was just wondering about it today with people asking about DLC, free cars, etc..

Whisky
24-06-2015, 11:32
Out of curiosity, I always hear for all kinds of games "We need a license for XYZ, etc..". I know why obviously, but how hard is it? Does it cost quite a lot?

I was just wondering about it today with people asking about DLC, free cars, etc..

in the first place it costs alot, also some licenses are impossible to get because they have Agreements with another developer.

PTG Claret
24-06-2015, 11:34
I'd love to know the exact answer, but doubt the devs and car companies would ever disclose such information.

On one hand, its advertising for a car maker, the other, its a selling point for the game.

Deffinately be interesting to know.

Ingo_Schwartz
24-06-2015, 11:35
I think it depends on what manufacturer you are dealing with.

I know Ferrari were pretty hard on Test Drive Unlimited 2 with upgrading and tuning the cars as they did not allow it at all, then there are others that are easy to deal with.

I think the smaller companies would be easier to deal with, not sure as I'm not in this business, would be fun to know :)

It also depends on preexisting deals with other game companies like Porsche/EA for example :)

s1yfa
24-06-2015, 11:51
Apparently the Porsche deal Turn10 have with EA was six figures. I think Ferrari charge a six figure sum generally as well. I guess it comes down to how well the dev's legal teams can negotiate the terms of the licence, but I wouldn't think it is unbelievable to expect licencing costs for a game the size of PCars to reach into the millions.

danowat
24-06-2015, 11:53
There is no exact answer, and even if there was, I'd assume much of it would be under NDA.

But I do know that a certain Italian marques license is circa six figures.

bjosim
24-06-2015, 12:07
Then again, some manufacturers pay to have their cars in a game (Gran Turismo for instance)

Trooper117
24-06-2015, 12:10
Just make a car that looks like say a Porsche, and call it something else... No wait!

AB_Attack
24-06-2015, 12:19
Yeah put Limbourginos, Ferraros and Perches in the game. Because it so happens they look very similar, so I'm thinking: "why not?" :)

Alan Dallas
24-06-2015, 14:00
Yes, it's costs a lot. The price of which they pay will probably never be publically disclosed. The Studio's lawyers and the car mfg lawyers do all the hammering out of the agreements. And you know how lawyers are about confidentiality.

hdh
24-06-2015, 14:41
Ferrari also has a habit of putting silly restrictions on their license. A good example is the two F1 cars in gt5. You couldn't race them against any other car than the other Ferrari f1 car.

RDogg
24-06-2015, 15:12
Yes, it's costs a lot. The price of which they pay will probably never be publically disclosed. The Studio's lawyers and the car mfg lawyers do all the hammering out of the agreements. And you know how lawyers are about confidentiality.

Yeah, I wasn't looking for too much detail in that regard. I know that stuff stays well locked away, probably in Ian's draw in his office! (I'm assuming he at least has his own office..?) :friendly_wink:

Riccardo De Rosa
23-06-2016, 15:26
open to modding it is free :)

http://assetto-db.com/tracks/latest

havocc
23-06-2016, 15:29
Yeah put Limbourginos, Ferraros and Perches in the game. Because it so happens they look very similar, so I'm thinking: "why not?" :)

Or Pes with team "Chamartin" with Roberto Larcos and Ranoldo :D

Stewy32
29-09-2016, 20:03
Think about it though, if you were creating a game, would you rather have Porsche or Van Deiman (FF1600 manufacturer)or both.Well, obviously, unless you are different to about 99% of the world's opinions, you would go both, then Porsche, then Van Deiman so Porsche take advantage of this opinion and charge more as people will pay it.

bradleyland
29-09-2016, 23:31
Just make a car that looks like say a Porsche, and call it something else... No wait!

Ruf is an actual manufacturer of automobiles that use Porsche chassis. There are several Ruf cars that I would take over any Porsche with the exception of the Carrera GT.

JessicaWalter
30-09-2016, 05:45
Ruf is an actual manufacturer of automobiles that use Porsche chassis. There are several Ruf cars that I would take over any Porsche with the exception of the Carrera GT.

i feel similar about a good number of Alpinas. I wouldn't trade Bimmers for 'em, but I'd trade all the new Bimmers for 'em.

DreamsKnight
30-09-2016, 12:43
What is "six figures" ? Five zeros?

bradleyland
30-09-2016, 14:52
What is "six figures" ? Five zeros?

Yes, $100,000 or more.

t0daY
30-09-2016, 15:00
Yes, $100,000 or more.

Well without valid "proof" it is just a number which says nothing^^

Zpectre87
30-09-2016, 18:48
i feel similar about a good number of Alpinas. I wouldn't trade Bimmers for 'em, but I'd trade all the new Bimmers for 'em.

Alpina is also a distinct manufacturer.

People don't like them as much because Alpina likes to put automatic transmission in their cars, but their cars aren't supposed to be as "raw" as BMW Motorsport, they're more luxury and exclusive.