PDA

View Full Version : Do all wheels vibrate and make weird noises via their motors during FFB clipping?

SeanB793
24-06-2015, 16:48
Hello,

Strange question I know, but there is a reason.

You see, I own a Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE. Now after an extended session of driving on about 80% or more FFB strength in-game, I notice FFB clipping coming into play. This realization comes from the white line that appears on my telemetry while turning it left or right along with the accompanying vibration and noise that some one here described as that of a beard trimmer.

Moreover I've noticed that once this occurs, the noise stays even after pausing the game albeit intermittently. The beard trimmer noise will kick in for a second or two and turn off even when not using the wheel. Hence, I'm wondering if all wheels, more specifically the Fanatec wheels behave as such during FFB clipping? Or is this an issue particular to my Thrustmaster wheel or all Thrustmaster wheels for that matter?

Also, what's strange is that FFB clipping occurs even when I bring down the Fy slider to not provide any FFB when turning the wheel. Yet still, the noise, white line and trimmer noise turn up. I thought that clipping occurs only when the wheel is being pushed and if so, why is it occuring when there's no FFB forces acting on it whatsoever?

Again, does this occur with other wheels too?

Thank you in advance!

Mr.Smoke
24-06-2015, 17:17
The white line is canned FFB from my understanding & isnt clipping. At least thats what ive read. Im not sure exactly what clipping is though to be honest. Never experienced it on my T100 as far as i know. Without knowing what clipping is though, its hard to say for sure if ive had it or not, but i dont think i have.

SeanB793
24-06-2015, 17:23
The white line is canned FFB from my understanding & isnt clipping. At least thats what ive read. Im not sure exactly what clipping is though to be honest. Never experienced it on my T100 as far as i know. Without knowing what clipping is though, its hard to say for sure if ive had it or not, but i dont think i have.

Thanks for getting back man. No worries, what is canned FFB anyway? I've heard it's mention quite a bit.

Mr.Smoke
24-06-2015, 17:40
Thanks for getting back man. No worries, what is canned FFB anyway? I've heard it's mention quite a bit.

Im not really sure. From my understanding the canned effects werent supposed to be in the final release though.

Maybe a more knowledgeable person on the subject can chime in with more info.

kligson
24-06-2015, 19:16
I can't help you with the rest of your question (mine doesn't make noises on clipping), but i can tell you what canned effects are: They are FFB effects that don't rely on the physics simulation for the determination of their strength/feel. In other words: It generates the same feel in all situations (it's premade, predetermined and is only on/off).
For instance, if there would be a canned effect for rumble strips, it would feel the same for all rumble strips, regardless of how they actually look.

Hope that clears things up

SeanB793
25-06-2015, 07:11
Aah, I understand now.

And so these canned effects, which according to my research should be available only in developer builds, still turns on in the customer's game due to a bug? Obviously now, the noise I was describing was due to the canned effects and has nothing to do with clipping at all.

Does your wheel exhibit the same behaviour when these effects go active?

Thanks for your help kligson!

kligson
25-06-2015, 07:46
I don't see any canned effects active when I play. And you shouldn't either. But I'm using a different wheel. I don't know if there are any settings in your wheel's configuration settings that might influence this, but there shouldn't be any canned effects active.

That white line in the FFB meter only comes on after a certain amount of time? Or is it there on a fresh start?
I do hope someone that has the same wheel as you wants to chip in on the discussion, because i don't think i can help you much beyond this point :(

LondonCri
25-06-2015, 11:38
Hi SeanB,

I've had the effect you mention at least 3-4 times now , it's a feeling as if you're bottoming/scraping (which you're not ). It usually happens after quali sessions , in the race. Quali is ok , but s soon as the race starts it appears.
I've had it in Brno and Silverstone GP so far. I didn't change anything in the car setup to make me think that it could be the cause.
The FFB feels different too , maybe i'm distracted by the vibrations , but it does feel different.
Before patch 1.4 i would lose FFB at the beginning of the race , immediately as the green light came on. Now , instead , i get the canned effect and the big vibrations.
Seems to happen in SilverstoneGP more frequently.

Same wheel , T300 GTE

SeanB793
25-06-2015, 19:13
Hi SeanB,

I've had the effect you mention at least 3-4 times now , it's a feeling as if you're bottoming/scraping (which you're not ). It usually happens after quali sessions , in the race. Quali is ok , but s soon as the race starts it appears.
I've had it in Brno and Silverstone GP so far. I didn't change anything in the car setup to make me think that it could be the cause.
The FFB feels different too , maybe i'm distracted by the vibrations , but it does feel different.
Before patch 1.4 i would lose FFB at the beginning of the race , immediately as the green light came on. Now , instead , i get the canned effect and the big vibrations.
Seems to happen in SilverstoneGP more frequently.

Same wheel , T300 GTE

Hey LondonCri!

Hmmm, strange. I did a bit of driving today and it showed up in Snetterton during the race only, not in qualifying or practice. What's stranger is that during the race I realised, the grinding effect occurred even when the white line wasn't appearing even though it wasn't as strong. It was mild yet quite perceptibly there.

Just in case you are wondering, I've had a Logitech Driving Force GT owner report the same effect and so it's not an issue exclusive to our Thrustmaster T300 GTE's alone.

Check out this thread created by another user - http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29236-FFB-T500RS-About-that-wierd-white-line&p=1014657#post1014657

Any idea of what extent the issue has been reported and talked about?

wyldanimal
26-06-2015, 05:26
The DS4 has built in rumble
Some wheels have built in vibration ( a Canned effect )
When the White Line shows it, it is usually front Wheel Scrub, and it triggers the Built in Canned Vibration.

Clipping, Has No Feeling... Clipping is when the FFB signal Has Gone Higher than the Wheel is capable of reproducing the Effect.

You See it on the YELLOW graph, when it Flat Lines at the top, or Flat Lines at the bottom of the Yellow Graph area.

If your FFB is Flat lined, then you no longer feel anything but resistance. The Bungee Cord effect.

edit:
here is a video I made when the White Line shows up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71QpxTAFizM

SeanB793
26-06-2015, 09:02
The DS4 has built in rumble
Some wheels have built in vibration ( a Canned effect )
When the White Line shows it, it is usually front Wheel Scrub, and it triggers the Built in Canned Vibration.

Clipping, Has No Feeling... Clipping is when the FFB signal Has Gone Higher than the Wheel is capable of reproducing the Effect.

You See it on the YELLOW graph, when it Flat Lines at the top, or Flat Lines at the bottom of the Yellow Graph area.

If your FFB is Flat lined, then you no longer feel anything but resistance. The Bungee Cord effect.

edit:
here is a video I made when the White Line shows up.

Thanks for getting back wyldanimal!

Front wheel scrub being their overheating, yes?

Does this mean then, the canned vibration is a welcome effect in terms of realism? If so, their intermittent nature is a bug of sorts when they should exist throughout?

Fre.Mo
26-06-2015, 12:44
I already had this and I felt as this white line was correlated with the Mz component when front tyres pressure is a bit low. Maybe clipping in Mz?

Awong124
26-06-2015, 17:29
I've been told that that vibration due to canned effects is a bug. It happens to me once in a while, but goes away if you restart the session.

Depending on what your FFB settings are, clipping can produce a noticeable vibration in the wheel. It feels different, and is much lower in magnitude than the canned bug thing.