PDA

View Full Version : Overtaking is too risky in racing games

sergiumtz
25-06-2015, 05:20
I feel like 70% of the time, whenever I am in a position to overtake someone, especially the top 3-5 of the race, they either try to block me repeatedly or just flat out hit me once the we get to the braking zone. Ruins my race and sometimes it pisses me off so bad that I want to wait for the guy to hit him hard.

Do you have the same feeling?

JDFSSS
25-06-2015, 06:03
I feel like 70% of the time, whenever I am in a position to overtake someone, especially the top 3-5 of the race, they either try to block me repeatedly or just flat out hit me once the we get to the braking zone. Ruins my race and sometimes it pisses me off so bad that I want to wait for the guy to hit him hard.

Do you mean when racing online in public lobbies? Your best bet is probably to just play it cool and not try anything risky. Most likely they will go flying off the track and you will be able to pass them with 0 risk. I know it can be annoying though. I don't bother to do online public lobbies. I get more enjoyment out of offline racing or trying to set leaderboard times.

Sasquatch
25-06-2015, 06:10
Yes. But i've found to just hold back and be patient. Simply exist in the mirror, because if they're aggressive like that. Their blood is pumping, and they're very anxious. It's simply theirs to lose, and most of the time they'll mess it up.

Overtaking is an psychological art form.

sergiumtz
25-06-2015, 06:13
Thing is, I get 0 excitement doing offline racing. With all the chaos in online lobbies, it's a different feeling passing humans than a preset AI. Just my opinion. With the AI, you pretty much figure out what he'll do. A real player though can take corners different every single lap.

@sasquatch: yup, noticed that as well. Started to brake as late as possible, faking the inside lane overtake, but not going for it. Most often than not, over a lap, they will brake way too late and that'll be that.

Sasquatch
25-06-2015, 06:35
The big difference is between offline AI and online Randy's of course is that the whole field of AI won't quit out on the 2nd lap of a 5 lapper on the Nordschleife. :p

Panopticism
25-06-2015, 06:35
Don't try to overtake people like that. Wait for them to make a mistake, or force them to make a mistake. I usually bluff the overtaking manoeuvre a couple of times and eventually they get too focused on trying to anticipate which side the attack is going to come from that they out-brake themselves. You want to make sure that you can overtake and have a bit of a cushion, because the kinds of people who will block you repeatedly will also collide with your back bumper.

Lawndarts
25-06-2015, 06:52
You should try it in real life! Racing games need a financial component, that fear of wrecking the car... 98% of racing in real life is all about money... Only about 5% of drivers don't have to worry about crashing, but what they paid already to get there is astronomical.

Without fear or penalties that go beyond the race itself, people are always going to push things a bit to far. Race with friends and have some rules beyond what the game can enforce.

tankyx
25-06-2015, 07:13
I never had a problem to overtake. Stay in the slipstream, and overtake while braking. If they hit you, they will spin.

sergiumtz
25-06-2015, 08:42
Funny but doesn't happen often. I once hit someone from behind in real life when he slammed the brakes to avoid a damn cat and i didn't spun at all. During online races i've been involved in it rarely happens

RTA nOsKiLlS
25-06-2015, 09:34

On Grid Autosport, YES, I did have the same feeling. I got sooooo fed up with crap racers, I started putting them on YouTube. I have a playlist with 103ish videos of idiots, who swear they are clean racers, yet that could not keep it clean.

I've forgotten the number of times I was hit with a precision hit, from supposedly the finest players on that game, which results in me off the track, and them sailing off into the distance. That used to piss me off. Then when you ask them or msg them, they denied everything. They drive bonnet cam, and somehow didnt notice their front end contact my rear quarter???? I very quickly grew tired of this type of racer. It became a case of recognise the name, and put them in the wall, or the dirt, as you pass. If you dont, they will race you "clean" at the next turn and what do you know.......you get binned for your clean pass.

So yes, I completely understand your frustration.

If you are SOOOO pissed off by a particular player, I could not blame you for waiting for them. Its the only way some people learn. (It may take 3-4 months of that though) But It will only get you a bad name, as witnesses to your retaliation are always very quick to tell the ENTIRE lobby, how dirty you are, even though you hit someone else who well deserved it.

I've not encountered anyone on the Xbox one version, after I have blocked them.......yet. Report and block them, hopefully you wont see them again.

Its always amusing to have the footage of the particular noob/dirty racer, if they turn up on a forum, asking for their favourite weapon to be made faster, or looking for other clean players to race with.

If someone is being a complete dick, record a clip, report them and tell microsoft or sony/steam about the clip. Then block them.

Its worked for me so far. :D

chig88
25-06-2015, 09:51
I know it's been said a million times before, but the only real sure fire way to avoid this nonsense is to join a regular league. I know it's not for everyone due to time constraints etc, but having a league full of people you know you can trust yields the most enjoyable racing.

Even if you think you're having a fair, clean race with a random you've always got the possibility of them doing something idiotic.

I recently thought I'd got into a good lobby - was having a fantastic race with some guy in Formula Gulf for about 10 laps. We were switching positions about twice a lap, and going into the second to last corner on the last lap we were side by side. He/she was on the inside and could have easily taken the corner ahead of me, but decided to swipe across in the other direction to take me off. Luckily they took them self off as well and I was able to recover quicker and finish ahead, but it ruined what had been a positive experience up until that point. You can't account for stupidity.

Phishfinger
25-06-2015, 10:11
Funny but doesn't happen often. I once hit someone from behind in real life when he slammed the brakes to avoid a damn cat and i didn't spun at all. During online races i've been involved in it rarely happens

I don't think cats running across the track will be in added untill PCars 2 so it shouldn't be happening online at all, if you're getting cats in the game (even rarely) now, they must be bugs, either that or they're chasing the bugs.

Joeri Blootacker
25-06-2015, 11:42
I never had a problem to overtake. Stay in the slipstream, and overtake while braking. If they hit you, they will spin.

+1

Just like in real life, you have to build up to your overtake move... check where you are faster, and where there is a chance to overtake without compromising your cars health ;)
as for defending... just like in real life, you won't get it just like that.

MrFlibble81
25-06-2015, 11:51
If you're behind me in an online race, I'm not going to make it easy to pass but you also won't have to wait too long before I fuck up and outbrake myself leading to an easy pass for you.

I did that the other night whilst racing around Silverstone, I'd managed to get up from 5th to 1st by the end of the 2nd lap and I had a couple cars behind me and I was trying to get cocky and brake late instead of just hitting my normal braking points and I went off twice and ended up back down in 3rd! Pissed me off but I guess that's racing! lol

Scuderia Paul
25-06-2015, 12:16

When I get bashed aside I do get that feeling and have been known to use some colourful language. However, I have never intentionally hit somebody as that makes me as bad as them. I would rather get revenge by beating them by racing properly.

One of the sweetest feelings I have ever had in any game happened on the night of PCars launch. I was in a GT3 race, in the gorgeous PedAce Audi R8, at Circuit de la Sarthe. On L1 I was purposefully side-swiped coming through the esses after Dunlop Chicane and sent spiralling into the huge gravel trap. On L2 I came up behind the same moron just after Tetre Rouge, slipstreamed him and got along side. Just as I arrived beside him he veered toward me but I slammed the brakes in time to see him fly across by path and slam the Armco. The best part was when the wheel flew off the car and went further than the car managed. I got an expletive-ridden message on PSN for that. Felt so good!

That is the issue with public lobbies.

icebear
25-06-2015, 12:47
You should try it in real life! Racing games need a financial component, that fear of wrecking the car... 98% of racing in real life is all about money... Only about 5% of drivers don't have to worry about crashing, but what they paid already to get there is astronomical.

Without fear or penalties that go beyond the race itself, people are always going to push things a bit to far. Race with friends and have some rules beyond what the game can enforce.

This is a great idea actually.
A penalty system based on damages of the front of the car (hello rammers) like a financial limit daily or weekly.
If out of money because you broken too much, no more online races until the end of the week..
We would have clean races really fast :D

MartinMWWebb
25-06-2015, 12:52
I feel your pain but patience is the key. Prime example, 7 laps round bathurst last night with a public group, ive not race the course before so during quali learned the track the best i could but with off tracks qualified last - advised the group before the race i would be at the back and slow.

First lap i was 10/12 after first corner incidents, several more offs on the first couple of laps with me braking cautiously saw me to 7th, had a great race with a random, i had to pull out of an overtake move as i clipped the grass but eventually made a move stick when they slightly outbreaked themselves

through the rest of the laps some unforced errors/drop outs i managed to get myself into 2nd place by the finish out of 7 drivers (first online podium for me in a public lobby).. keep it cool and just relax

Tompo
25-06-2015, 12:55
This is a great idea actually.
A penalty system based on damages of the front of the car (hello rammers) like a financial limit daily or weekly.
If out of money because you broken too much, no more online races until the end of the week..
We would have clean races really fast :D

1 problem.
what if you smash into the barriers yourself and the game will think that you rammed somebody. you will be punished for nothing.

MrFlibble81
25-06-2015, 13:06
1 problem.
what if you smash into the barriers yourself and the game will think that you rammed somebody. you will be punished for nothing.

And what if somebody rams you intentionally, would you get a penalty then too?

sp0q
25-06-2015, 13:06
1 problem.

I'm fairly certain that the game can perfectly determine wether you rammed the barriers or another car : P

edit. AND which side was the car rammed from, AND what where the vectors of each car. It would just be a pain to program and debug.

icebear
25-06-2015, 13:09
1 problem.

overdriving, taking too much risk and finally ruin race of others sometimes may deserve some punishment too maybe ?
and a rammer would spend his budget very fast while occasionnal accidents could be budgeted

well i dont say it is a perfect solution or easy to implement.
I already imagin some annoyers braking to death just for the "fun" of exploiting the penalty system. But at least, i have a little chance to avoid someone breaking even unfairly while it is far more difficult to avoid a rammer....

sp0q
25-06-2015, 13:12
overdriving, taking too much risk and finally ruin race of others sometimes may deserve some punishment too maybe ?
and a rammer would spend his budget very fast while occasionnal accidents could be budgeted

well i dont say it is a perfect solution or easy to implement.
I already imagin some annoyers braking to death just for the "fun" of exploiting the penalty system. But at least, i have a little chance to avoid someone breaking even unfairly while it is far more difficult to avoid a rammer....

This case could also be covered - you know the position of each car on the track, you know where they are supposed to brake hard, if they do so outside of certain parts, with an opponent behind, it can be interpreted as malicious behaviour. It's a ****load of work though :E

Lawndarts
25-06-2015, 13:40
A crash is a crash whether you hit someone or the wall on your own. So if all the drivers had the same risks things would level out. This is pretty much what iRacing does, even there first idea was a cost for crashes but they never really explained why it was ruled out.

But this system would need to be tied into gameplay and would need pit/crew management and R&D functions to make that loss of money/crash have some effect on gameplay. It could ramp up in complexity from club racing to F1... You could form your own little team etc. it would mirror real life minus all the wrenching time.

If we make the cars into what they really are, expensive tools, and made them very valuable, I think we would see a drastic change in driver behaviors and even "wreckers" might get inspired to learn to race well. And it's also easy enough to leave "arcade play" in as a separate mode for the traditionalists.

Iamlegion
25-06-2015, 13:48
A crash is a crash whether you hit someone or the wall on your own. So if all the drivers had the same risks things would level out. This is pretty much what iRacing does, even there first idea was a cost for crashes but they never really explained why it was ruled out.

But this system would need to be tied into gameplay and would need pit/crew management and R&D functions to make that loss of money/crash have some effect on gameplay. It could ramp up in complexity from club racing to F1... You could form your own little team etc. it would mirror real life minus all the wrenching time.

If we make the cars into what they really are, expensive tools, and made them very valuable, I think we would see a drastic change in driver behaviors and even "wreckers" might get inspired to learn to race well. And it's also easy enough to leave "arcade play" in as a separate mode for the traditionalists.

How about every time you wreck a car online, it is deleted from your game or locked. When all the cars are gone you can either shelve the game or buy new cars via DLC. This would make for some very timid driving and gain instant support from devs :)
Like a kind of hardcore mode.

sp0q
25-06-2015, 13:51
How about every time you wreck a car online, it is deleted from your game or locked. When all the cars are gone you can either shelve the game or buy new cars via DLC. This would make for some very timid driving and gain instant support from devs :)
Like a kind of hardcore mode.
Oh man, I'd actually make up excuses to not boot the game at all :E

JeyD02
25-06-2015, 14:01
Stick to them and give them pressure, if they are noobs and rammer they will eventually mess up and crash because of pressure if they keep calm then it's a sign they are polite and might make it a fair race.

schneterz
25-06-2015, 14:16

that is so true. Another good feature would be a guy sitting next to each driver, simulating the impact of each crash by punching them in the stomach or hitting the back of their heads. ;)
This would change online lobbys a lot.

MrFlibble81
25-06-2015, 14:21
sitting next to each driver, simulating the impact of each crash by punching them in the stomach or hitting the back of their heads. ;)
This would change online lobbys a lot.

I can think of a few people I'd like to do that too! Lol