PDA

View Full Version : How to be quick off the line?

OnyxD
25-06-2015, 10:35
I have been multiplayer racing and despite qualifying top 4 in most races I am getting absolutely smoked off the start. I will usually lose 4 or 5 places each time.

I use manual gears. auto clutch. My current technique is to give it full or nearly full revs, wait for green, then stick in first. GT3 cars with real aids so I have traction control.

Does anyone have any tips here?

(Or is this a bug affecting host only as I am host for nearly every online game I have played?)

jimmyb_84
25-06-2015, 10:41
I have been multiplayer racing and despite qualifying top 4 in most races I am getting absolutely smoked off the start. I will usually lose 4 or 5 places each time.

I use manual gears. auto clutch. My current technique is to give it full or nearly full revs, wait for green, then stick in first. GT3 cars with real aids so I have traction control.

(Or is this a bug affecting host only as I am host for nearly every online game I have played?)

I do the same its just pot luck, I hold full revs though and have aloud more slip on my TC setup

tankyx
25-06-2015, 10:41
Remove TCS, Manual clutch

EDIT : TCS - ESP - ABS is retarded in GT3 btw

Tompo
25-06-2015, 10:44
I use manual clutch, i hold it, stick it in first gear and hold the gas pedal. As soon as it goes green i release the clutch and i don't lose any places

tankyx
25-06-2015, 10:47
I use manual clutch, i hold it, stick it in first gear and hold the gas pedal. As soon as it goes green i release the clutch and i don't lose any places

Stick to neutral before green, clutch pressed. Because if you engaged a gear, the car will start rolling (e.g on Spa)

Marrrfooo
25-06-2015, 10:47

It's often (but not always) better to manually pick the clutch up and have 1st gear selected on the grid as the lights come up. When you're ready you can drop the clutch and make a strong getaway. Obviously if you use a button for the clutch (as you mention you otherwise use auto-clutch) the drop is unsophisticated and just jumps the full clutch in one go. If you had a clutch pedal you could of course drop the clutch more delicately for maximum drive/torque balance.

The challenge with this is the when you pick up the clutch if the starting box you are in is on a hill the car will roll - meaning you have to press a button to hold the clutch, press brake to stop the rolling, select first gear and then simultaneously release the brake and the clutch to get your good start when the lights go out.

Of course certain cars react better to this than others. With GT3s you should get reasonable starts doing what you're doing at the moment because the transmission/gear change speed is so fast you won't lose much whilst the game auto-clutches for you between N and 1. Less sophisticated cars will have longer auto-shifts and thus you'll suffer using that method as the manual clutch hold means you can negate the delay in gear shift and simply go when you drop the clutch...

danowat
25-06-2015, 10:49
Jump the start, it's what everyone else does online, you can jump it by quite a bit without getting a penalty.

tarbat
25-06-2015, 10:49
With auto-clutch. Apply full footbrake. Wait for first red lights, put in 1st gear. When 3rd red lights come on, give full throttle, and release the brake when green light.

OnyxD
25-06-2015, 10:52
Thanks for the replies so far. I don't have clutch on my pedals so that isn't an option for me.

I can't believe that all the people overtaking me are using manual clutch, I will often be overtaken at start by people who are 10secs per lap slower so are probably using gamepads and are still learning the game.

I'm getting more convinced that there is an online synchronisation problem between clients for the start, affecting the host. I'll do some more tests tonight and file a bug report if I can reproduce it.

Baron_Greenback
25-06-2015, 10:53
Guestimate the timing of the green light.
I can't seem to find a sweet spot on the throttle for launch, so I floor it in neutral and feather the throttle slightly when I select first and pull away.

OnyxD
25-06-2015, 10:54
It's often (but not always) better to manually pick the clutch up and have 1st gear selected on the grid as the lights come up. When you're ready you can drop the clutch and make a strong getaway. Obviously if you use a button for the clutch (as you mention you otherwise use auto-clutch) the drop is unsophisticated and just jumps the full clutch in one go. If you had a clutch pedal you could of course drop the clutch more delicately for maximum drive/torque balance.

The challenge with this is the when you pick up the clutch if the starting box you are in is on a hill the car will roll - meaning you have to press a button to hold the clutch, press brake to stop the rolling, select first gear and then simultaneously release the brake and the clutch to get your good start when the lights go out.

Of course certain cars react better to this than others. With GT3s you should get reasonable starts doing what you're doing at the moment because the transmission/gear change speed is so fast you won't lose much whilst the game auto-clutches for you between N and 1. Less sophisticated cars will have longer auto-shifts and thus you'll suffer using that method as the manual clutch hold means you can negate the delay in gear shift and simply go when you drop the clutch...

Thanks, that's great advice I'll give that a go. I shouldn't be losing as much time as I am with my current method though.

Marrrfooo
25-06-2015, 10:56
Thanks, that's great advice I'll give that a go. I shouldn't be losing as much time as I am with my current method though.

What controller/input do you use? Controler/wheel/keyboard/etc.?

OnyxD
25-06-2015, 11:03
What controller/input do you use? Controler/wheel/keyboard/etc.?

Wheel / pedals with auto-clutch.

MartinMWWebb
25-06-2015, 11:11
Hey OnyxD - i was with you last night, some good racing but i have no issue on the starts, i'm manual gears auto clutch on a wireless speed wheel, leave it in neutral jam the throttle and whack it in gear as it goes green.

Some good clean racing last night - may catch you tonight if your about for some more - add me on steam :)

Tompo
25-06-2015, 11:15
Stick to neutral before green, clutch pressed. Because if you engaged a gear, the car will start rolling (e.g on Spa)

on the flat surface only about half a meter or so. I will put it in neutral if i ever get to play spa or another track with a hill start.
Thanks for the tip

justonce68
25-06-2015, 11:20
If its not on a flat surface I engage 1st and hold the clutch and brake down with same foot, drop the clutch and release brake at same time (T3PA pedals)

RDogg
25-06-2015, 11:33
Some good tips in here.

Another question. Anyone ever found the Ginetta G55 reeaally bogs down at the start? Currently I'm using auto-clutch, but none of the other GT3 cars I have used, which is mainly the Bentley or the SLS, have this issue. And I use the same procedure on all.

Scuderia Paul
25-06-2015, 11:45
Without sounding arrogant I am pretty good at starts. You hear people revving and dropping full power when it goes green. All they do throw up lots of smoke and quite often squirm sideways.

What I do is rev the car and see what it red-lines at. I then hold the revs at 50% of that number and feed the power in over 2s when the lights go green. It is very rare for me to loose places off the start and I usually get a decent lead or gain several places.