PDA

View Full Version : Is the T300 (dead unit risk) as high as people make it sound

lordymatsuo
25-06-2015, 19:24
I have been thinking about getting the T300 for some time now but seen quite a few reviews of people saying there unit died within the first 6 months. I know it would be covered under warranty but just wanted to ask here from guys who have been using the T300 so far have you had any technical issues other than the issues in game which is being patched?

LordDRIFT
25-06-2015, 19:41
I have been thinking about getting the T300 for some time now but seen quite a few reviews of people saying there unit died within the first 6 months. I know it would be covered under warranty but just wanted to ask here from guys who have been using the T300 so far have you had any technical issues other than the issues in game which is being patched?

My T300:
Brake pedal DOA.
Dpad down went out week two
Start of week 3 loss of force; funky smells
End of week three - Literally blew itself apart.

lordymatsuo
25-06-2015, 20:11
My T300:
Brake pedal DOA.
Dpad down went out week two
Start of week 3 loss of force; funky smells
End of week three - Literally blew itself apart.

Yikes those are the kinds of horror stories i keep hearing. Expensive kit to have breaking that easily :( any other horror stories are good stories to out weigh the bad?

csam
25-06-2015, 20:27
The sensor plate on the back of the engine did shake loose after a couple of month for me. The result was that the wheel didn't stop the calibration process and just turned back and forth.
Didn't wan't to send it back so I opened up the wheel and managed to glue it back in place.

Before and after that the wheel has worked just fine

Torped
25-06-2015, 20:31
Before ps4... I have the ps3 with the logitech g27,played gt 5&6
It was the best
Now i have the ps4 and i have to buy another wheel and i bought the trustmaster t300rs.
I have the wheel for about a year and i have no problems at all,but the g27 is for me the best

LordDRIFT
25-06-2015, 20:52
Before ps4... I have the ps3 with the logitech g27,played gt 5&6
It was the best
Now i have the ps4 and i have to buy another wheel and i bought the trustmaster t300rs.
I have the wheel for about a year and i have no problems at all,but the g27 is for me the best

why do you prefer the g27? (this is actually the first I've hear a vote swing this way)

LordDRIFT
25-06-2015, 20:53
Yikes those are the kinds of horror stories i keep hearing. Expensive kit to have breaking that easily :( any other horror stories are good stories to out weigh the bad?

Oh that's not the half. I paid over $500 dollars due to lack of availability and price gouging. Im feeling pretty ass raped.

Diablo944
25-06-2015, 21:05
So far, no issues with my t300. And like the g27, the supplied pedals will never ever wear out and can only go on to prove how reliable they are (replaced with a set of t3pa pro pedals, so the original two pedal set are in a box next to my old logitech wheel that is also never likely to be used on a ps4).

Joking aside, no issues so far on my t300

Fight-Test
26-06-2015, 00:56
Mines running like a tank, no probs. Only one in our group has had issues with his thrustmaster and it was ffb fade.

jason
26-06-2015, 00:58
Get a T500 .....awesome for project cars.

arthurino
26-06-2015, 03:40
Have had mine for about nine months...almost daily use...no problems (knock on wood). I would look at the number of members with the t300 versus problems reported and my suspicion is it would be low though not a scientific assessment.

Diablo944
26-06-2015, 04:04
Have had mine for about nine months...almost daily use...no problems (knock on wood). I would look at the number of members with the t300 versus problems reported and my suspicion is it would be low though not a scientific assessment.

A thread for that very distinction:-
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32988-T300-wheel-working-fine-or-broken-Lets-get-some-balance-here

Awong124
26-06-2015, 04:12
No problems yet, but only had it for less than 2 months.

dopeyj86
26-06-2015, 04:29
Mine is still running like a champ. no issues at all. I was sitting on the fence for a while myself hoping they would add g27 support to the ps4 but i decided to bite the bullet and get a t300. And i must say it paid off greatly. Im loving it.

MLT24
26-06-2015, 05:28
Use mine 4-5 times a week for 3-5 hours, no problems at all, knock on wood. Got it about a month ago.

jason
26-06-2015, 05:39
The reviews for this wheel (t300) have been outstanding , seems everyone has one.

A lot of reviewers were using t500 and swapped to t300 as they are not as notchy or heavy on the wheel e.g a lot smoother . I thought about getting one myself but I will stick with my t500 as it is very robust.

thegt500
26-06-2015, 06:26
My T300RS is coming up to 5 months old now without fault. I used the supplied 2 pedal set for the first month (no probs with them either) then I got some T3PA's with a TH8A shifter ready for pCARS release.
Everything just works, and feels a helluva lot better than my previous DFGT wheel and, some people rate it above the Logitech G27 in everything apart from the pedals !
I haven't regretted getting my T300, it's been a revelation for me with GT5~6 on the PS3, but in a different league with pCARS on the PS4 even with the ongoing FFB/centre spring but issues in game (not a fault of the wheel) but hopefully that'll be sorted in the new patch and the FFB feel will be even better?

lordymatsuo
26-06-2015, 08:12
Thanks guys for all your comments, this is definitely turning more positive than negative. I guess I will just wait until they are in stock with a trusted stockist like Amazon or somewhere that warranty is dealt with efficiently.

I almost bought a second hand one but with no warranty was worried about these dead unit reviews I have been seeing.

Luke Townsend
26-06-2015, 08:18
I have a T300RS and going fine (touch wood!) Thrustmaster hardware has a 2 year warranty, so if all their wheels were dying then they would go out of business. I don't think they are that silly, and if yours does fail in 2 years then it will get fixed. Like everything in life, you normally only hear from people when something goes wrong. Sorry for the ones that do, but many, many more that have no issues. Yes, decent idea getting from Amazon to smooth things through if you do have to return.

SketchyRacer
26-06-2015, 08:42
the only "issue" i get with my wheel is the DPAD buttons seem to stick (only the right and down button) however i don't tend to use them heavily.. so when i do use them to navigate menus i put a little pressure on the back of the wheel and the buttons "click" ... other than that... it's great... i bought mine used and it was about five months old...

rams1de
26-06-2015, 08:45
I happily recommend Amazon. My T300 came with faulty pedals and I had a replacement in a couple of days - the original wasn't even packed up ready for return.

No other problems in over 4 months.

Don't rush if you're on PS4, we're not getting the best from the wheel with the centre spring issue and you might feel let down if you are expecting awesome FFB. Although you'll be more than happy if you want to give your arms a good physical work out.

jason
26-06-2015, 09:32
With regards to the dead on ps , with the gt wheels the Allen keys come lose , which makes the wheel wobble and the dpad doesn't work as it should , screw them firm and alls should be good

Voxen
26-06-2015, 10:13
What's worrying me is the calibration process when I plug the wheel to the PS4. It violently hits both stops (left and right) and in the long term I'm scared something breaks inside.

joking_aura
26-06-2015, 10:26
I have 2 issues with mine at the moment.

1. Gas pedal: heard crunching noise and now only have very light resistance. Working through warranty process is cumbersome. They asked for a video of issue. How do you send video of feel?

2. The wheel is not calibrating right on power up if the wheel is turned right past center. If I turn it left of center it works as it should.

Iamlegion
26-06-2015, 11:28
My GTE works fine. One month old about.

Don't forget that people with negative experience are more likely to post than people who don't have any problems. You would need to look at sales total to get an impression.

This of course doesn't mean that problems don't exists, just they are probably less likely than its appears.

daddyboosive
26-06-2015, 11:32
Get a Fanatec. Had nine for over 5 years now. Not had any issues with it.

LordDRIFT
26-06-2015, 14:18
Yes people with broken wheels will be vocal. For me though, there are some other facts to consider. Like OP I too asked the question 1 month ago. I considered the commentary, decided to pull the trigger and got burned. Now I've had a look at the insides of the wheel, pedal box and base - and came away unimpressed and feeling a little cheated at what I saw. So what you have is basically a dice roll whether or not this poorly made (albeit great performing wheel) will actually stand the test or grenade. I lost the roll, however, if the unit was well made I would have no issues getting another; knowing what I do I just cant do that - especially since TM hasn't even offered to back their product in some way or form. I've had companies back products outside of the warranty window because it was short enough to be considered a matter of principle (items costing many thousands). Even if I have a breakdown in the future from a non eBay purchase - TM appears to communicate much more quickly when shutting down a claim vs actually honoring one. I don't want that hassle. For me its "once bitten, twice shy" or "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".

Good luck with your choice and/or purchase and I hope the folks with working wheels enjoy many more years. In my experience if you have had your wheel for sometime I think you will be okay. These sorts of things normally (but not always) crop up early on duds).

joking_aura
26-06-2015, 14:35
TM has a 2 year warranty. How much more could you ask for?

Diablo944
26-06-2015, 15:35
Lordrift, you say poorly made, any chance of showing us pictures of the insides? I for one would like to see what you are referring to. What has actually failed? Is it a visible component failire? I am guessing you took it apart ( which wouldnt help a wrranty claim much either) which is how you know what it looks like in there. Honestly cant remember the details in relation to your issues

LordDRIFT
26-06-2015, 16:55
Lordrift, you say poorly made, any chance of showing us pictures of the insides? I for one would like to see what you are referring to. What has actually failed? Is it a visible component failire? I am guessing you took it apart ( which wouldnt help a wrranty claim much either) which is how you know what it looks like in there. Honestly cant remember the details in relation to your issues

There are no security features so no way of knowing I took it apart (in any case I wasn't too worried about, its what I was willing to do to prevent down time). Every time I've opened it up it was to check out and/or fix a defect. For the base it started to bang violently during calibration, then it wouldn't calibrate and that violent banging left to right eventually broke the steering shaft housing , which causes the wheel to seize midway through its travel. I also discovered a burned capacitor which explains the funky smells and possibly loss of force. Ventilation is also very inadequate - not sure why there aren't more slots to vent and ducting for the fan. I'll be going back in to see if I can salvage it. Ill take pics when I do.

The pedal box materials are cheap and joint solders and overall assembly is a joke.

The steering - looks jury rigged. D pad uses bits of foam to float the pad and contact the actual switch. the foam is not dense enough and the pad contact point is too aggressive. This causes the foam to compress. that why the dpad feels so harsh. After awhile the foam compresses so much that the contact point can no longer sufficient let move the foam to contact the switch.

Traser
01-07-2015, 07:47
My 7 week old T300rs lasted a month before it started trying to destroy itself during the calibration cycle. Thrustmaster support want me to send it back for repair which will leave me without a wheel for an unspecified amount of time. I'm not pleased having had a perfectly good, reliable G27 for years so I have pre ordered the G29 so hopefully it's an improvement on the G27 and doesn't break!

florent71
01-07-2015, 08:18
I own a T300RS for 2 months now, it work like a charm, I've upgrape the pedal set with the T3PA, all work fine.

One concern was the dpad on the rim, same problem that others, left and down where too stiff with no "clic" sound", so I made a video and and get a new rim in less than a week :-)

I've use a fanatec CSR elite and a fanatec GT2 for 3 years before, and the T300RS is definitively better in everything (exept the design, more "toy" aspect than the metal/carbon from fanatec), otherwise the FFB is smother, the rim is quicker, more silent and deliver some effects that I've never felt with fanatec.

IMO this is a good wheel with a good support (in France).

lordymatsuo
01-07-2015, 12:15
very mixed opinions thanks for all the feedback. not made my decision any easier yet lol

With the G29 on the verge of release I think I'll wait for inside sim racing to do a side by side comparison as you just know they are going to :)

LordDRIFT
01-07-2015, 12:38
My 7 week old T300rs lasted a month before it started trying to destroy itself during the calibration cycle. Thrustmaster support want me to send it back for repair which will leave me without a wheel for an unspecified amount of time. I'm not pleased having had a perfectly good, reliable G27 for years so I have pre ordered the G29 so hopefully it's an improvement on the G27 and doesn't break!

Do you have a ship date?

VBR
01-07-2015, 13:29
very mixed opinions thanks for all the feedback. not made my decision any easier yet lol

This might be of some help: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/poll-thrustmaster-t300rs-gte-reliability-poll.329969/

:)

Traser
01-07-2015, 13:52
Do you have a ship date?

Not yet unfortunately. I got the order confirmation this morning but no date. I emailed them anyway and asked when's the release date or when it will be announced but they haven't replied yet.

J4M35_R
01-07-2015, 14:15
My 7 week old T300rs lasted a month before it started trying to destroy itself during the calibration cycle. Thrustmaster support want me to send it back for repair which will leave me without a wheel for an unspecified amount of time. I'm not pleased having had a perfectly good, reliable G27 for years so I have pre ordered the G29 so hopefully it's an improvement on the G27 and doesn't break!Calibration problems for me also. I brought my wheel on the 8th May and Thrustmaster have told me to return the base for an engineer to repair.

I'm at the stage of giving them my address and telephone number which has taken 4 days so far, I seem to be getting 1 email a day so I will probably find out the next step of the return process tomorrow.

I have no idea how long this is all going to take, maybe someone could let us know how quickly problems are resolved with Thrustmaster Support.

I still think it's a very good wheel and look forward to getting it fixed but my advice is keep your proof of purchase for the warranty.

This is the same problem as mine :-

https://youtu.be/qIe7JNaRM8k

LordDRIFT
01-07-2015, 14:41
This might be of some help: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/poll-thrustmaster-t300rs-gte-reliability-poll.329969/

:)

good to see im not crazy (or sad depending on perspective). 50% is unacceptable.

Traser
01-07-2015, 14:55
Calibration problems for me also. I brought my wheel on the 8th May and Thrustmaster have told me to return the base for an engineer to repair.

I'm at the stage of giving them my address and telephone number which has taken 4 days so far, I seem to be getting 1 email a day so I will probably find out the next step of the return process tomorrow.

I have no idea how long this is all going to take, maybe someone could let us know how quickly problems are resolved with Thrustmaster Support.

I still think it's a very good wheel and look forward to getting it fixed but my advice is keep your proof of purchase for the warranty.

This is the same problem as mine :-

https://youtu.be/qIe7JNaRM8k

Calling them is quicker. They were good when I rang and didn't wait at all.

I really like the wheel, such a shame with these issues. Mine has the same as in the vid too.

J4M35_R
01-07-2015, 15:11
Calling them is quicker. They were good when I rang and didn't wait at all.

I really like the wheel, such a shame with these issues. Mine has the same as in the vid too.

I started with a phone call then they got my email. Fingers crossed an engineer fixing it is better than getting a new one sent and having the same problems over again.

LIONITUSofSPARTA
01-07-2015, 21:56
I have the T300RS and the TX; zero issues over the last 10 months

LordDRIFT
02-07-2015, 12:39
I'm a weak pathetic person. After checking the logitech site daily with no update and not playing pcars for 2 whole weeks I reluctantly caved and bought another t300. Out of the box it's better than the last one. The dpad feels better and is actually accurate. The FFB feels even better than the last one but my Wheel was dying slowly so I may have just gotten use to the degradation. I'm running much lower master scale settings and it's still stronger than anytime I remember. Good to be back. Hopefully this one has better QC and actually lasts. Wish me luck.

Wildie
02-07-2015, 15:34
the cheapest option for us and voting with my money was not to buy into tm or the new g29 for ps4, went and bought pcars for pc, saved a lot of cash and having more fun due to the lack of RAMers in all races. :P

florent71
02-07-2015, 15:51
IMO apart some faulty unit, the TH seems more reliable than fanatec, and keep in mind that TM use a new way to create FFB system (dual belt) with servo brusthless motor, instead of a 10 year old or more technology in the logitech (noisy and less precise)