PDA

View Full Version : The Conundrum of Hot Lapping

Charles Gillen
26-06-2015, 05:59
Earlier this evening I decided to post a hot lap at Dubai International for the community challenge. This is not a track I've spent much time at, mainly because I find it boring. So I run my first laps in stock configuration to get a feel for the track and learn the "flow". Then I went and started a setup and hit the track again. After a few trys I managed to get to a 1:32.445, but heres the thing...Now I've been one of the more vocal here about track limits and "coloring inside the lines" as it were. But my fast lap at Dubai was not something I would proudly post on the boards.

Apparently at Dubai, the track limits seem to be more of a suggestion than a limit. So I found myself somewhat obligated to best my 1:32.445 with a much cleaner effort. Took a while and several setup changes later I managed a CLEAN 1:32.335. I may not have a record breaker here, but I know that my lap is a clean, legal by any standards. And I can live with that.

My evening rant here and I'm out............Charles

FA RACING 01
26-06-2015, 08:07
I really feel your pain mate. I managed a 1:27.9xx, but then realised my wheels on one corner is on the white line, so I redo it with a clean 1:27.820 which put me 1st on LB. Then the cheaters took over. I call them cheaters cause they dont cut, they much more give the track a total new layout that even my GPS wont be able to follow. So I'm done with this one too.

I will never follow that route, cause if you cheat here, your integrity in real life will not differ. Will never be convinced otherwise, neither accept the joke of an argument and excuse that cheating is allowed by the track. Might consider that argument for those that are on the borderline because track limits on the game is somewhat vague at the moment, but I'll never ever accept it for what these guys are doing. If you watch the four guys above me on the XBox LB you will understand what I mean when I offer them a GPS.

mikadri
26-06-2015, 15:42
:angel:

Joca63
26-06-2015, 16:14
I really feel your pain mate. I managed a 1:27.9xx, but then realised my wheels on one corner is on the white line, so I redo it with a clean 1:27.820 which put me 1st on LB...

Mate, I do not think hitting the white lines is a problem...even in real F1 there are tracks where half of the car is off track (normally at the curves entrance) or going a little wide when exiting, and that does not represent a problem (there are risks as the kerbs are normally too "high" for an F1). What we should not accept is cutting curves and chicanes or going 2 or more cars wide in a curve exit...that is unacceptable.

Look at 6:20 (exit) and 6:30 (inside cut)..perfectly legal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BiG5pjU9-8

arveena
26-06-2015, 17:08
I was at the WEC in Spa and let me tell you there were many many many DQed (especially in Quali) times in the national Porsche cups that were run there because the were not keeping two wheels inside the white line. Also these cuts are no where near the cuts the TT guys are doing in the game. If we would have rules like the Porsche Cup I would be happy. Also 90% of the cars where keeping it inside the line at the exit there and if it would be quali the 10% would not count. Of course you can go over the white line sometimes in a race but not in a TT or quali lap. That is why they are struggeling to implement these tracklimits

choupolo
28-06-2015, 04:52
Why don't we run a parallel community event on this thread (or a unique one), posting clean times only - and keep a mini leaderboard of our own that someone could keep updated? Maybe with videos for proof.

It's not ideal but maybe the best option for people who want to do the events fairly until the track limits are sorted out in the next patch.

It could be the way for all community events on tracks that are easily cut from now until the patch.

What do you think?

danpinho
30-06-2015, 02:14
I will never follow that route, cause if you cheat here, your integrity in real life will not differ. Will never be convinced otherwise, neither accept the joke of an argument and excuse that cheating is allowed by the track.
That! +1

danpinho
30-06-2015, 02:19
Of course you can go over the white line sometimes in a race…
That's what I'm worried about. Let's see what 2.0 will bring.

stux
30-06-2015, 07:28
Should be becoming obvious that there needs to be two circuit definitions for these tracks... the "Race Limits" and the "Qualifier Limits"

TT would use the Qualifier Limits

choupolo
30-06-2015, 07:39
Should be becoming obvious that there needs to be two circuit definitions for these tracks... the "Race Limits" and the "Qualifier Limits"

TT would use the Qualifier Limits

You'd have times invalidated by the white lines in both race and quali/TT and penalties for larger cuts deemed to gain an advantage during a race (either slow down or time added after the race or drive through).

Even Micro Machines V2 on the PS1 had a slow down system if it thought you had gained time or not. :D