PDA

View Full Version : Button Box on PS4

tmitch45
26-06-2015, 15:06
So with news of USB keyboard support for PS4 to use alongside a wheel this has raised the question of using a sim racing button box to assign key features. A number of people in our league have raised the question, would a pc usb button box such as the one below work with the ps4 in place or the keyboard??

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/2014-track-boss.html

I guess the alternative would be to buy a second hand DS4 and make one like people did with the DS3 below??

https://marcushwang.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/how-to-build-a-button-box-for-ps3-and-pc/

TheReaper GT
26-06-2015, 15:11
I think you are gonna find the answers here:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?31840-SEE-PATCH-2-0-Playstation-4-button-box

Seubi42
26-06-2015, 15:13
I think it depends it the buttons box simulates a keyboard or a joystick.
It is never easy to find this information on buttons box specs :(

TheReaper GT
26-06-2015, 15:14
I think it depends it the buttons box simulates a keyboard or a joystick.
It is never easy to find this information on buttons box specs :(

Most use keyboard internals so they can be used with wheels.

ScorpionR3D
26-06-2015, 17:27
Is my understanding correct...?
You will be able to use the keyboard/ds4 etc in the menu only, so racing is only possible with the wheel.
Meaning, it is eg. not possible to adjust your seat when those buttons are assigned to the keyboard and not to the wheel.

TheReaper GT
26-06-2015, 17:30
You will be able to use the keyboard/ds4 etc in the menu only, so racing is only possible with the wheel.
Meaning, it is eg. not possible to adjust your seat when those buttons are assigned to the keyboard and not to the wheel.

Wrong. You will be able to use the DS4 in the menus while the wheel still connected to the console. The Keyboard will work during races. You will be able to map different commands to keyboard keys than the ones mapped to the DS4/wheel.

What you can't do is map one thing to the DS4's X button and other thing to the wheel's X button. The keyboard is a second input method.

wyldanimal
27-06-2015, 04:06

Wrong. You will be able to use the DS4 in the menus while the wheel still connected to the console. The Keyboard will work during races. You will be able to map different commands to keyboard keys than the ones mapped to the DS4/wheel.

What you can't do is map one thing to the DS4's X button and other thing to the wheel's X button. The keyboard is a second input method.

All three input devices will be treated as separate devices.

The X on the Wheel can be Assigned Wipers
The X on the DS4 can be Assigned E-Brake
The X on the Keyboard can be assigned ABS

What you Can't Do is Assign the Same function to more than One Device / Button.

You Can't do this:
X on Wheel = Wipers
X on KeyBoard = Wipers
X on DS4 = Wipers

One Function to One Button....

TheReaper GT
27-06-2015, 04:11

You Can't do this:
X on Wheel = Wipers
X on KeyBoard = Wipers
X on DS4 = Wipers

I hope you are right, but I don't think so.

wyldanimal
28-06-2015, 08:34

You Can't do this:
X on Wheel = Wipers
X on KeyBoard = Wipers
X on DS4 = Wipers

I hope you are right, but I don't think so.

24-06-2015, 08:48 #1
Stephen Viljoen
Game Director/Designer

Upcoming Patch 2.0 - Release notes

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-2-0-Release-notes&p=1012539&viewfull=1#post1012539
Controls All platforms
* Added support for the use of all active controllers for ... input.

then when questioned about it:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-2-0-Release-notes&p=1012797&viewfull=1#post1012797
No need to reword the patch notes, they mean exactly what you hope they do Yes, you can use the keyboard to (for example) adjust the seat while using the wheel to race.

the Question has already been Asked And Answered.. re-asking the same Question , by wording it a bit differently, doesn't mean you will get a new Answer..
It's been Asked, It's Been Answered..
Maybe he didn't give the specific example that you can Adjust the Seat with the DS4 while driving with the Wheel..

but if you read #1, "Support for All Active Controllers.." ( Wheel, DS4, USB Keyboard, .... )
Then Read the answer #2
"they mean exactly what you hope they do...."

from that you get...

Each Device will act as a separate Controller..
Yes, each button on each device can be assigned a function.

Synner40
28-06-2015, 16:18
the Question has already been Asked And Answered.. re-asking the same Question , by wording it a bit differently, doesn't mean you will get a new Answer..
It's been Asked, It's Been Answered..
Maybe he didn't give the specific example that you can Adjust the Seat with the DS4 while driving with the Wheel..

but if you read #1, "Support for All Active Controllers.." ( Wheel, DS4, USB Keyboard, .... )
Then Read the answer #2
"they mean exactly what you hope they do...."

from that you get...

Each Device will act as a separate Controller..
Yes, each button on each device can be assigned a function. ok question. would a differnt profile matter for this? as I'm asmuiming my wheel will be assigned to my primary and the controller to a guest account. would that still work?

Fight-Test
29-06-2015, 13:28
How is this possible. The in game menu or button config only lets u put one command for x. How will it let u assign three different x's? If I assign wipers the x button on pad it will save. Then if I put wheel x button to headlights it will override the x button in the button config. I don't see anyway u can assign two or three commands to different x buttons because of the button config screen.

TheReaper GT
29-06-2015, 17:40
How is this possible. The in game menu or button config only lets u put one command for x. How will it let u assign three different x's? If I assign wipers the x button on pad it will save. Then if I put wheel x button to headlights it will override the x button in the button config. I don't see anyway u can assign two or three commands to different x buttons because of the button config screen.

To be honest I don't believe that will be possible. But our friend seems so sure about it that I just let the thread go and going to wait to see.

diesel97
29-06-2015, 18:27

You Can't do this:
X on Wheel = Wipers
X on KeyBoard = Wipers
X on DS4 = Wipers

I asked last week for clarification on this and a WMD member was going to ask a dev but i have not got an answer yet . They is no proof of what you write it is worded different for a reason and until a dev makes a official statement everyone else is just guessing.

Umer Ahmad's Avatar Join Date
Oct 2011
Platform
PC
I saw 2 statements from SMS today:

1. Gamepads can be used to navigate menus while wheel is plugged in
2. Keyboards can be used for button mapping while driving

Will get more clarity from SMS

@Umer Ahmad anymore info on this ?

TheReaper GT
29-06-2015, 20:29
I asked last week for clarification on this and a WMD member was going to ask a dev but i have not got an answer yet . They is no proof of what you write it is worded different for a reason and until a dev makes a official statement everyone else is just guessing.

Umer Ahmad's Avatar Join Date
Oct 2011
Platform
PC
I saw 2 statements from SMS today:

1. Gamepads can be used to navigate menus while wheel is plugged in
2. Keyboards can be used for button mapping while driving

Will get more clarity from SMS

@Umer Ahmad anymore info on this ?

That's my whole point, they said that, and that's it for now. We'll know better SMSoon

Umer Ahmad
29-06-2015, 20:56
Nothing from me guys, waiting like you

theequalizer33
02-07-2015, 22:14
210431Cool stuff! So I wonder if you could mod a Button Box out of one of these!??

jerry555
03-07-2015, 17:31
This is what mine looks like so far, just waiting for a few more buttons, then to wire it next week...210524

TheReaper GT
03-07-2015, 17:53
This is what mine looks like so far, just waiting for a few more buttons, then to wire it next week...210524

What commands you are going to assign to the two cover switches?

jerry555
03-07-2015, 19:38
What commands you are going to assign to the two cover switches?

Hoping to use one for ignition on.
Although I probably won't ever use it.
The other will be a spare, I put 2 in to keep it spaced right...

TheReaper GT
03-07-2015, 19:56
Hoping to use one for ignition on.
Although I probably won't ever use it.
The other will be a spare, I put 2 in to keep it spaced right...

Got it. Looks good man, carry on. :D:D

Sproket
03-07-2015, 19:58
Can I have one please:p

jason
30-07-2015, 06:51
Holds money in the air " I'll take one "

Bluemoonie
31-07-2015, 21:05
213940my attempt at a button box works a treat and powers a wireless headset and controller

Bluemoonie
31-07-2015, 21:06

Bluemoonie
31-07-2015, 21:07

jason
31-07-2015, 21:19
Nice work blue once , looks great .

I was going to use a full keyboard but after looking at these it's far to intrusive , I will get a number pad .

Button box makers are missing a hole market here.

Bluemoonie
31-07-2015, 21:24

I was going to use a full keyboard but after looking at these it's far to intrusive , I will get a number pad .

Cheers pal

jerry555
31-07-2015, 21:30

Nice colours......

Sproket
31-07-2015, 23:37
I'm waiting for mine so I can fall off the track in even more spectacular style looking somewhere else lol.

Fre.Mo
01-08-2015, 07:43

Great I did not think to put it like this! Do you have problem with 4,6,2 and 8 keys already assigned to look right, left, up and down?

Bluemoonie
01-08-2015, 15:38
Great I did not think to put it like this! Do you have problem with 4,6,2 and 8 keys already assigned to look right, left, up and down?

No no problem at all just reassigned them

ChrisK
03-08-2015, 07:59

Just bought this today. Fits the bill perfectly and works fine....no wires is the big plus. Recognized instantly by ps4 and all the buttons work. A bit annoying that the power light is so poor and can't comment on battery life yet. But this little sucker is sized just right and with a few stickers and a label maker...it's bang on. and at $65aud, the price is excellent.

http://www.belkin.com/resources/img/overview/F8T067/belkin-be-F8T067tt-2.jpg

Jerem33FR
07-08-2015, 17:34
I'm waiting for mine so I can fall off the track in even more spectacular style looking somewhere else lol.

Hi,

Have you received it and is it working ?

Thanks,

Fanapryde
07-08-2015, 18:43
Maybe I missed the answer somewhere ?
When using a button box like this, will te USB keyboard still work,
or is it button box OR keyboard ?

Bluedice
07-08-2015, 22:17
It should work.

2stains
08-08-2015, 04:21

2stains
08-08-2015, 04:25
214577wireless keyboard $9.20 from Woolworths

Wayfastwhitey26
05-11-2015, 20:21
So I can pair up my apple wireless keyboard and use in game with my wheel!?!?!?! Had no IDEA

ports
05-11-2015, 20:29
So I can pair up my apple wireless keyboard and use in game with my wheel!?!?!?! Had no IDEA

You can mate if your PS4 recognises the keyboard.

Dinos
25-11-2015, 16:21
I there any button box for the ps4 like the ones I see on you tube for the PC ?

jerry555
25-11-2015, 16:44

You can Buy them from here, (see link), although it says they are sold out.

http://www.ignitioncontrols.com/category-s/145.htm

Or you could build you own. See link below.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?31840-SEE-PATCH-2-0-Playstation-4-button-box

Dinos
25-11-2015, 22:01
Very nice boxes, I will wait till the end of the month and place my order. Thank you my friend.

Warren1571
26-11-2015, 02:22
I just got one of the button boxes from ignition controls a few weeks and have it mounted on my rig. Gotta say it is awesome! Really good quality piece of kit. Works great too - easy to setup and configure, plug n play basically. I highly recommend getting one, good price, good build quality and works great!

I have a Playseat Evo and I bought a second shift mount and used it to mount the button box beside the wheel, worked out great.

tgrey
26-11-2015, 02:42
I just got one of the button boxes from ignition controls a few weeks and have it mounted on my rig. Gotta say it is awesome! Really good quality piece of kit. Works great too - easy to setup and configure, plug n play basically. I highly recommend getting one, good price, good build quality and works great!

I have a Playseat Evo and I bought a second shift mount and used it to mount the button box beside the wheel, worked out great.

I have a playseat evo too, and am looking at mounting options for my ignition controls button box... do you think you could take some closer pics of how you used the shifter mount for this? Thanks!

Warren1571
26-11-2015, 02:58
I have a playseat evo too, and am looking at mounting options for my ignition controls button box... do you think you could take some closer pics of how you used the shifter mount for this? Thanks!

I inverted the shift mount and used the wheel clamp to hold the mount firmly in place. I was going to drill and bolt it but found I didn't need to. It is held rock solid as it is by just utilising the clamp. I used some non-slip rubber mesh just to make sure the clamp gripped it well enough. I bolted the button box onto the mount plate using an M5 bolt and washer, plus some high strength double sided tape. Here's a few more photos too.

I hope this helps give you an idea of how you can mount yours ..... :-)

Dinos
26-11-2015, 08:55
I have an rs1 seat. They sell the RS1 Tablet and Buttonbox kit, does anyone know if the ignition button box will fit to the rs1 kit ???

rotorrian
26-11-2015, 09:02
If you want to create your own there is a thread here which relates to the VBOX which is an ongoing community development.

It has a couple of advanced features as it programmable for example V1.5 has two button assignments one for headlights on/off and one for headlight flashing.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?39761-DIY-PCB-USB-Button-Box-for-PS4-PC-for-under-20-USD

This is designed for the PS4 but works on PC as well as its native USB.

Dinos
26-11-2015, 09:26
If you want to create your own there is a thread here which relates to the VBOX which is an ongoing community development.

It has a couple of advanced features as it programmable for example V1.5 has two button assignments one for headlights on/off and one for headlight flashing.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?39761-DIY-PCB-USB-Button-Box-for-PS4-PC-for-under-20-USD

This is designed for the PS4 but works on PC as well as its native USB.

No, i want to buy one ready button box from the ''ignition controller'' their site says that until the end of the month they will have new pieces for ps4 on stock. My problem is where to put it, i don't know if the ''RS1 Tablet and Buttonbox kit'' is suitable for the particular boxes in order to buy it.

Ajnn
26-11-2015, 09:40
I inverted the shift mount and used the wheel clamp to hold the mount firmly in place. I was going to drill and bolt it but found I didn't need to. It is held rock solid as it is by just utilising the clamp. I used some non-slip rubber mesh just to make sure the clamp gripped it well enough. I bolted the button box onto the mount plate using an M5 bolt and washer, plus some high strength double sided tape. Here's a few more photos too.

I hope this helps give you an idea of how you can mount yours ..... :-)

Did you fix it to the wheel or to the playseat structure ?

tgrey
26-11-2015, 10:07
Did you fix it to the wheel or to the playseat structure ?

Yeah, that's the part I'm most interested in, thanks for the pics tho!

Warren1571
26-11-2015, 10:41
Yeah, that's the part I'm most interested in, thanks for the pics tho!

Hey guys, Here's another photo that may help. Not sure what wheel your using but this works perfectly with the T500rs.

Hope this helps :

tgrey
26-11-2015, 11:22
Hey guys, Here's another photo that may help. Not sure what wheel your using but this works perfectly with the T500rs.

Hope this helps :

Ah, ok... I understand now. Doesn't work for me tho, I have mine hard mounted in the threaded holes, no clamp needed.

Warren1571
26-11-2015, 11:54
Ah, ok... I understand now. Doesn't work for me tho, I have mine hard mounted in the threaded holes, no clamp needed.

I have mine hard mounted too with the hex bolts but still have the clamp on for extra support (it wasn't really necessary to keep it, but it came in very handy for mounting the button box).

Hope you can come up with something that works for your setup :)

rotorrian
26-11-2015, 17:11
Cool well you have mad the right decision then as the guys with them love them.

No, i want to buy one ready button box from the ''ignition controller'' their site says that until the end of the month they will have new pieces for ps4 on stock. My problem is where to put it, i don't know if the ''RS1 Tablet and Buttonbox kit'' is suitable for the particular boxes in order to buy it.

Dinos
27-11-2015, 22:08
Can i connect my mini iPad to my ps4 (with a usb cable) and use it as a dashboard ??? And if i can what application i must download???

tgrey
28-11-2015, 03:35
Can i connect my mini iPad to my ps4 (with a usb cable) and use it as a dashboard ??? And if i can what application i must download???

Not yet, there are apps that do this on the PC, but console doesn't support it yet. Luckily something is in process, you can read up on this long thread: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24031-NEGOTIATING-Second-Screen-amp-Apps-on-PS4

But short version, someone is working on porting this to consoles so that we can do it too, but it's a side project so it might take some time.

RC-Prospeed
29-11-2015, 01:45
Great idea!
I'm in the process of building my box bt was trying to figure how to mount it, this save some time :)

rcnavigated76
18-11-2017, 12:25
You can try pCars or rsdash on your iPad. They both work on PS4.