PDA

View Full Version : Ian Bell co-developer of Elite?

Jubei2011
26-06-2015, 18:21
Ian i did some research and it seems you are a real pioneer in the gaming industry. Are you the co-developer of Elite? This was one of my favourite games on the C64. A groundbreaking experience never seen before. One of the most inspiring games ever. A true Masterpiece! Are you the guy or am I mistaken here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Bell_%28programmer%29

something for history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64

Ian Bell
26-06-2015, 18:22
Ian i did some research and it seems you are a real pioneer in the gaming industry. Are you the co-developer of Elite? This was one of my favourite games on the C64. A groundbreaking experience never seen before. One of the most inspiring games ever. A true Masterpiece! Are you the guy or am I mistaken here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Bell_%28programmer%29

something for history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64

Yes yes, that was me. Braben did nothing! He was all coke and hookers. I carried that guy.

Flaw3dGenius
26-06-2015, 18:50
Jesus College? Fish & wine all round?

DozUK
26-06-2015, 18:51
Yes yes, that was me. Braben did nothing! He was all coke and hookers. I carried that guy.

Hehehe well this bit can be updated now to: Best known for pi$$ing off the whole Nintendo fan base.

He is best known for co-developing the computer game Elite (1984) together with David Braben, which met with critical success.[1]

Patrik Marek
26-06-2015, 18:52
wow, that was one of the most memorable games I played,
see, we're in good hands here

tarbat
26-06-2015, 18:59
Thought that was a different Ian Bell, unless the Ian Bell I knew back then was younger than I thought. Quite a common name!

TheReaper GT
26-06-2015, 19:03

And they say you don't like underpowered machines

Robhd
26-06-2015, 19:09

yeah... I heard that too Mr B...

Pssst..... Can i have PC2 as a freebie when it comes along.. On account i am a parasitic grovelling git... Oh... And i forgot sycophantic!

Ahh... That could have been psychotic... I forget exactly what my analyst said as i was bunging her the danger money she wanted... Tee hee hee!

Ian Bell
26-06-2015, 19:10
yeah... I heard that too Mr B...

Pssst..... Can i have PC2 as a freebie when it comes along.. On account i am a parasitic grovelling git... Oh... And i forgot sycophantic!

Inadequate arse kissing, sorry.

Jweaver
26-06-2015, 20:44

Are you serious? This isnt a joke? Elite was ground breaking and something which literally changed my life back in the BBC and then Spectrum days.

I heard an interesting statistic about Elite the other day on the BBC Micro. It was said that there were almost as many BBC micros sold, as copies of Elite.. The implication was that EVERY person with a BBC bought it. it turns out that my girlfriends Dad bought a BBC back in the day but not Elite, so he was one of a tiny number of people who broke this statistic.

We are showing our age now :)

corvo
26-06-2015, 21:16
Elite was released in 1984...do the math...

Robski
26-06-2015, 21:37
Mind boggles reading some of the naivety on here. It was a different Ian Bell, of course.

LADY GEMMA JANE
26-06-2015, 21:48
Damn I wasn't born then!

cerbrus2
27-06-2015, 02:13
Ian bells aside, what does everyone think of the new Elite? I'm loving it personally stunning visuals.

Jubei2011
27-06-2015, 05:04
Ian bells aside, what does everyone think of the new Elite? I'm loving it personally stunning visuals.

How good is the new Elite? Is it worth a buy? I own the old Sidewinder Forcefeedback. The last time I used it was 10 years ago lol. It is a shame, a good piece of hardware gets dusty coz those noobish game developers these days are not able to support it or not even know that it exists

Jubei2011
27-06-2015, 05:25

Lol Ian i see the headlines incoming "Ian Bell calls Braben just a tag-along" hahahahaha. Yesterday I was visiting wii u daily just for the sake of fun and it is amazing how mindless those people are. Most of the media and their journalists are mindless drones these days. They just copy and paste. The sarcasm was so clear, it seems though your quote is spread all over the internet lol. Mark my words new headlines soon " Ian Bell hates Nintendo" lol.
Back to Elite I wasn't quite sure whilst doing my research, but when there was nothing in the curriculum vitae about SMS I was scratching my head. Well Ian at least you are now a pioneer in the gaming industry :)

Jubei2011
27-06-2015, 06:21
Elite was released in 1984...do the math...

Why math? If it would have been the guy his age would be something around 52? I didn't know our Ian here is a bit younger in the mid 30s? Well he is now an icon no thanks to me lol

MisterO
27-06-2015, 06:56
Ian, you really need to brush up your web design skills, just stumbled over this page:
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/

;)

SpeedLimitUnknown
27-06-2015, 07:06
It would be even better if there were five different Ian Bell's in the gaming industry, then they would really be confused. People are having a difficult time with just two of you!

Tim Foster
27-06-2015, 08:27
Too....many....Bells....

jgaganas
27-06-2015, 08:51

Nearly spit my coffee.... priceless! :D

Jubei2011
27-06-2015, 11:27

Ian I have found you! :D I think all the hate out there coming from the Nintendo fans is kind of biased and unfair. I have found this pic and it seems you guys are all real gamers. I have a good sense when it comes to people and I really think all what happened with the Wii U was not intentially done on purpose. Also Ian you seem to be a man in the mid 40s which tells me you have experienced quite a lot when it comes to gaming. I am 41, gamer since the Atari 2600 followed by C64, Amiga and Pc and all the old consoles. I like Project Cars! Just one plea to the devs you have to put this on your to do list. Please add the oil and water temp on the HUD. I prefer the hood cam, Project Cars has the best I have ever seen. Also fix the freezes(stutter effect) in the replay mode. It is really no pleasure watching them with the random freezes. Keep up the good work!

https://i.imgur.com/8ZbbeOS.jpg

Ian Bell
27-06-2015, 11:41
Are you serious? This isnt a joke? Elite was ground breaking and something which literally changed my life back in the BBC and then Spectrum days.

I heard an interesting statistic about Elite the other day on the BBC Micro. It was said that there were almost as many BBC micros sold, as copies of Elite.. The implication was that EVERY person with a BBC bought it. it turns out that my girlfriends Dad bought a BBC back in the day but not Elite, so he was one of a tiny number of people who broke this statistic.

It is a joke, I said it in the other thread :)

(We've yet to be seen in the same room though...)

FloF000
29-06-2015, 10:04
I googled "Ian Bell" once about a year ago. Since then google now thinks I am a cricket fan. :D

Sankyo
29-06-2015, 10:09
Didn't Ian also co-develop General Relativity theory and help discovering the structure of DNA? I think he did.

Mad Al
29-06-2015, 11:24
Didn't Ian also co-develop General Relativity theory and help discovering the structure of DNA? I think he did.

I just read a Nintendo fan site that said he also started WW3 and was responsible for the extinction of Man in 1908...

agentbeef
29-06-2015, 18:03

I owned the game but not a bbc micro, my friend had one so I would go round with my copy of the game and we would play it until his bbc overheated. many years later frontier elite 2 came out on the amiga cd32 and me and my wife would play it until the cd32 overheated. now have it on the xbone and am hoping the cooling fan is gonna be enough.

agentbeef
30-06-2015, 12:14

no it was fire and the wheel I heard. after he got rid of the dinosaurs.

Baron_Greenback
30-06-2015, 13:54
Cue the Wii U fans asking why it wasn't released on Nintendo.

jschenard
16-08-2015, 05:29
Our kind développer was behind the first Elite game.

If you want a really good time buy Elite Dangerous. I am not sure if Ian Bell is behind this project also but the quality of the game is amazing, so it would not surprise me if he's in the project in some ways.

TheReaper GT
16-08-2015, 05:46
It's not the same Ian Bell.. :D

Bealdor
16-08-2015, 09:44