PDA

View Full Version : Temporal level

Snake OilerX
26-06-2015, 23:55
What does this setting do?

TheReaper GT
26-06-2015, 23:58
It's the balance between temporal AA an motion blur. It was implemented to prevent the ghosting issue on PS4

FoxMulder
27-06-2015, 00:23
Put it on 5. You minimize the horrendous ghosting and get better performance since putting it on 0 has been found to have an impact on fps.

VBR
28-06-2015, 12:48
I have mine set to 0 so there's no ghosting at all. Not noticed any frame rate problems as a result.

jason
29-06-2015, 04:17
It has been proven on 0 you lose fps .

Sik180sx
29-06-2015, 05:19

He's right about that,digital foundry did an in-depth analysis and found on 0 in memory heavy situations you lose 3-4 frames,they recommended putting it on 1 to alleviate the issue.

Fanatest
29-06-2015, 09:21
I'm sure in the comments, and over at GTP / Vitualr etc. They said the reason for the minor hit in FPS was because when you set Temporal Level to 0 you essentially "disable" TXAA BUT "enable" MSAA at the same level as XBO (which is pretty good, and is (arguably) a better AA solution).

Ian confirmed the PS4 AA levels now match the Xbox here:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30925-new-patch&p=986867&viewfull=1#post986867

Then when you set temporal level to 1 or above, you essentially "disable" (or lower) MSAA BUT "enable" TXAA (which is (arguably) a poorer AA solution (in some cases).

It was discussed in here also, and a few users asked for clarity, but unfortunately we never heard back :(

I personally run it at 0 ;)

VBR
29-06-2015, 09:53

He's right about that,digital foundry did an in-depth analysis and found on 0 in memory heavy situations you lose 3-4 frames,they recommended putting it on 1 to alleviate the issue.

I'm sure in the comments, and over at GTP / Vitualr etc. They said the reason for the minor hit in FPS was because when you set Temporal Level to 0 you essentially "disable" TXAA BUT "enable" MSAA at the same level as XBO (which is pretty good, and is (arguably) a better AA solution).

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30925-new-patch&p=986867&viewfull=1#post986867

Then when you set temporal level to 1 or above, you essentially "disable" (or lower) MSAA BUT "enable" TXAA (which is (arguably) a poorer AA solution (in some cases).

It was discussed in here also, and a few users asked for clarity, but unfortunately we never heard back :(

I'll happily lose 3 or 4 frames a second for the visual clarity increase I get with setting it to 0.

:)

danowat
29-06-2015, 11:19
I'll happily lose 3 or 4 frames a second for the visual clarity increase I get with setting it to 0.

:)

I'd rather have a little TAA to stop to nasty pixel crawl and shimmering, not sure how people can put up with that when you stick it on 0!

Fanatest
29-06-2015, 14:06
I'd rather have a little TAA to stop to nasty pixel crawl and shimmering, not sure how people can put up with that when you stick it on 0!

I'm not sure that's cut and dry ;)

IMO the temporal slider set to 0 gives the best image quality (for me) and I see very little difference in shimmer etc between settings. However, I see a big improvement in motion blur, ghosting, smear/blurring etc when disabled.

If Ian was accurate, when he said what was quoted in the link above and (regarding the ps4 being brought up to XBO levels of AA)

and that the AA on XBO is very good indeed:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?31208-1080p-possible&p=989200&viewfull=1#post989200

And that's equal to:

"The game on the Xbox One will be utilizing AMD’s EQAA (Enhanced Quality Anti Aliasing) with 8 fragments and 4 samples, which is equivalent to MSAA 4x on PC."

Which means the above must now be true of PS4 if they are at the same level ;)

And the tests done by the armchair experts over at GTP/Vr/DF (comments) etc were true... Coupled with that the fact that disabling TXAA actually decreases performance, because essentially, you are "enabling" the best quality AA method above. I'd say setting it to 0 is a good option ;)

Setting the slider higher than 0 (if all the above is true) uses a less effective AA method BUT gives you more performance.

It's not better, just different ;)

Also, I think that it's great we get to chose/adjust the AA method. It sure makes for a happy environment as we can all find the setting that is right for us :)

Racer Pro
29-06-2015, 14:29
I sell my xbox one because the AA on xbox one really sucks i buy a Ps4 with pcars and my god the AA is awesome.

FoxMulder
29-06-2015, 14:34
I did not know it uses a better type of AA when set to 0. Thanks for the heads up :eagerness:

LordDRIFT
29-06-2015, 14:50
Put it on 5. You minimize the horrendous ghosting and get better performance since putting it on 0 has been found to have an impact on fps.

This explains the framerate issues I've had after 1.4. Good to know.

novcze
29-06-2015, 16:38

+1

at 0 image looks clearest and sharpest to me

Snake OilerX
11-07-2016, 19:47
I tried putting in on 5,the default on the ps4 is 40,I cant tell any difference...

BigDad
11-07-2016, 23:30
Mine defaults to 20 on ps4 and the ghosting is very noticeable on anything above 0.
I use 0.